• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What things from Smash 64/Melee/Brawl would you like to see in Smash 5 that were not in Smash 4?

JJdude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3927-0371-5504
Switch FC
5039-5097-8313
It would be cool to have random enemies from different games appear like in Melee. Can never forget that random Redead bursting out from the barrel lol

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd love to see a new Trophy mini-game similar to Brawl's coin launcher. Make the enemies and aesthetics more interesting and we're golden. I enjoyed Coin Launcher's gameplay and actually spent quite a lot of time gathering most of the game's trophies from it.

Seeing some other mini-games like Race to the Finish come back would be really nice as well.

It would be cool to have random enemies from different games appear like in Melee. Can never forget that random Redead bursting out from the barrel lol
THIS

I loved that Adventure Mode enemies could appear from containers in Melee. Was disappointed that it didn't carry over into Brawl or 4. I'd be happy to see the feature brought back in Ultimate, maybe even with an option of it's own to adjust the frequency of it happening.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I seriously wish Sakurai would allocate a lot of time to make 1 player mode really fun. Delay the game, I don't care. I want Stadium to be as good as 64 and Melee and I want both Adventure mode and the sequel to Subspace.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I hope if there is a new mode it's more like Smash Run and Subspace Emissary and nothing like Adventure Mode.

But I don't think any of them will return.

MrPowerfulJeans

Smash Cadet
Random Tripping

I think we need to have Break the Targets return as it was in 64 and Melee, where each character has their own unique stage. However, I also want some integration with Brawl's Break the Targets. You know how Brawl had the difficulty scale to determine how hard each level is? How about that integrates with each character having their own unique stages? That way, each character has a unique target experience and you have options for casual and competitive players. As long as we avoid Smash 4's Angry Birds style, I'm good.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Boss Fights from Brawl.

I don't need all of Subspace Emissary to return, but I want those boss fights back.

Just add a round to Classic Mode that's boss fights. And then maybe also a separate Boss Rush Mode.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Biggest one, surprise, is Adventure mode. A lot of people have said something similar, but I'd love it if we had a short, but highly replayable game with plenty of side-scrolling levels and bosses taken from all franchises featured in the game. Add in branching-paths and secret unlockables and the thing could be huge, my ideal would basically be a Star Fox-style structure. Ultimately I couldn't care less about cutscenes, I'd rather just pick a character and go through the whole thing (or perhaps a team of characters?).

Break the Targets. I always felt it was a big Smash staple, it felt extremely weird to see it gone. Even character-specific levels shouldn't be too much effort if they all use generic assets as opposed to Melee/64 when half the roster had levels using unique elements. Custom Break the Targets levels would definitely be the idea.

With Adventure mode being a crazier, experimental single player mode with new features, I'd like Classic Mode to go back to a more basic form. Adding all those crazy features make the "Classic" part of the title kind of pointless. Just make me go through a few fights separated by minigames, add a couple of fun, pre-defined modifiers (such as making X-fight always be team-based and Y-fight always be a 1-1 against a metal character), Master Hand at the end, and we're good.

And talking about Classic mode, I want the return of Race to the Finish! I'd rather see this over something like Board the Platforms to be honest, since it's essentially identical to break the targets except you replace attacking with landing. I think Race to the Finish has a ton of potential though, especially with how Melee introduced several exits to better accomodate the different movement speeds of each character, and a fun risk vs reward element. There's a lot that can be done with this mode, so I was a bit sad to see it was removed entirely from Brawl onwards.

I want new clones to actually be different in playstyle from their cloned character as opposed to having one or two differences. The clone standards got better and better in each game until Brawl, which arguably didn't even have any true clones whatsoever. So I was super dissapointed to see the bar go down with Dark Pit and Lucina, who play identically from Pit and Marth save for a couple of minor differences. I understand that clones only exist because there's almost no work involved in creating them, but you can't deny that there's a difference between Lucina/Dark Pit and the way even Melee handled most of its clones, who despite sharing animations and mechanics, had completely unique stats and properties, leading to characters who felt fundamentally different despite objectively sharing the same moves.

This is not something too specific, but I want Sma5h to introduce a new basic mechanic to the game. Sm4sh changed a few rules, like ledge-trumping, but it didn't really introduce something new that affected the mechanics of the whole cast. Melee added a ton of extra moves, like air-dodges, pummeling, directional throws, side-specials. Brawl added Final Smashes and smaller **** like footstools. Sma5sh didn't really add a whole lot other than changing already-existing rules.

As for smaller stuff.

I want a Mario stage with functioning Warp Pipes.

I want Saffron City, with the random Pokémon door.

I want Sector Z, still by far my favorite Great Fox level (#****Corneria).

I want more, Smash-original stages to be used both as single-player content and as unlockables, such as the Metal Mario stage in 64.

I want Brinstar Depths. Loved the idea of a large, rotating stage. Not only did it not come back, but we never even got an equivalent.

I honestly want Stage Builder to go back to being blocks on a grid. It can definitely be improved, but ultimately it led to better, more consistent results than the touchscreen-based builder in Sm4sh.

I want offline Tourneys.

I want Ice Climbers.

I want Wolf.

I want Snake.

I even want Pichu.

Hell, I want ****ing Pokémon Trainer.

I want all characters in Smash history in one game. I know it's too much to ask for and it's completely unrealistic, but **** it, I want them all.

All these things are ultimately inconsequential though. There's one thing that didn't make it to Sm4ash that was borderline insulting. It absolutely needs to make a comeback. It made the game, and Sm4sh just didn't feel the same without it, making the whole experience objectively worse.

I ****ing need to move the camera in the menus with the right stick.
you must be happy :p

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I was pretty disappointed in Smash 4's audience cheers and gasps. They were kind of muffled and barely audible. I remember in 64 and Melee hearing the people scream with joy when I smash someone off the screen. And when I just barely recovered there would be a loud *gasp* and then when I was on a winning streak I could really hear them cheer my name!

All that still exists but it wasn't as prominent as it was before.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
We know Mushroomy Kingdom is coming back in Ultimate. I am hoping they bring back the toggle between worlds 1-1 and 1-2. For some bizarre reason I have a lot of good memories with the underground in particular playing with friends in college.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
May I ask why you want that back? That pretty much destroys the purpose of giving certain fighters reflector moves.
There is a distinct difference in reflecting perfect shield and actual reflectors:

Reflectors deal more damage when reflected. The window to reflect is way easier, all you have to do is hold your reflector although it is punishable.

Powershielding projectiles deals half the damage when reflected. The window to reflect takes some skill since it is a tight timing. In Melee's case it's shielding at a certain frame, but if Ultimate has it, then it would be releasing shield at a certain frame.

Furthermore, this is important because it allows projectile-less fighters that are prone to being camped (Ganon being a major target of this) a chance to fight back. This tool is part of the reason why Falco's laser in Melee isn't dominating the game.

Last edited:

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
It's been mentioned several times, but a combination of all their best single player modes would be amazing.

Adventure mode-style levels with branching paths and SSE-style bosses. I liked Smash 4s take on classic mode too so keep that in, but take out the difficulty lowering on a loss. That was irritating.

Other than that, if we could get a full orchestral score like we had in Brawl, I'd be thrilled. That theme being played by a full orchestra was one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It's been mentioned several times, but a combination of all their best single player modes would be amazing.

Adventure mode-style levels with branching paths and SSE-style bosses. I liked Smash 4s take on classic mode too so keep that in, but take out the difficulty lowering on a loss. That was irritating.

Other than that, if we could get a full orchestral score like we had in Brawl, I'd be thrilled. That theme being played by a full orchestra was one of the most amazing things I've ever heard.
It's Smash "Ultimate", so a combination isn't too much to ask for. Like the characters and stages we're already getting.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Star KOs/screen KOs on every stage, and all the time, instead of random top screen deaths. They're much more fun. And Jiggs appreciates the consistency.

Also Wolf. But I already got that.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I want a decent UI design in the upcoming Smash game. Navigation of this type of stuff can be extremely helpful. Smash 4's UI was complete crap for many reasons. Open the spoiler if you want to know why I think so.
For one, the buttons look like abstract art. They're shaped funky and are placed in random array make it extremely hard to navigate the menus utilizing any form of joy stick especially the Wii U version. Even with a D Pad, it's still hard because I'm not sure what button is going to be selected next half the time.

They also have tons of crap that is simply out of place. Games and More was done completely wrong. In there lies many of the well known solo modes, group modes, custom fighter creation, stage builders, options, the vault, and amiibos. This should not have been grouped together into one thing. It feels like one terrible merger of what would be under Solo, Vault, and Options from Brawl's menu. Sakurai also not only put Smash Tour on the main menu, but gave it a button bigger than Games and More implying more importance than everything in that section. The entire menu is basically one big mess.

So maybe the character selection screen is better. Right? Nope. Characters feel out of order still. They did group together many of the serieses, but there were still outliers. Dr Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Corrin are completely misplaced. They're randomly grouped with the characters that are the only representatives from their universe. The roster also feels somewhat feels off for a roster with 57 roster spots to fill including the Miis and random. Some of the rows were cut short. It's not hard to fill every row until the bottom one and only cut that one short. It would feel more even.

Also, palette swaps are a bit funky too. The numbers 1 and 2 represent the two different palette swaps. In Smash 4's character select UI, sometimes the character and his/her palette swap is 12121212, and sometimes it's 11112222. Here are I think all the instances of this happening.
:4wario:and:4wario2:- 11112222
:4robinm:and:4robinf:- 12121212
:4villager:and:4villagerf:- 12121212
:4olimar:and:4alph:- 11112222
:4wiifit:and:4wiifitm:- 12121212
:4cloud:and:4cloud2:- 12121212
:4corrin:and:4corrinf:- 12121212
:4bayonetta:and:4bayonetta2:- 11112222
I think the lack of a decent UI was one of 4's greatest weaknesses and I hope that Ultimate does better in making a functional UI even if it isn't as visually appealing. Brawl nailed it, and Melee while not as visually appealing was still very functional. Making something similar to one of those games would be ideal I already have ideas as to what my menu design would be if it was my decision.

Also, this isn't a very big one, but I also want this song to come back.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
-Good UI
-Fountain of Dreams
-An Offline Tourney (64 Entrants similar to melee)
-An Adventure
-More linear Classic mode
-Break the Targets (No clue why it wasn't in Sm4sh)
-Good Event Matches
-Race to the finish (Melee)
-EVERYTHING THAT WASN'T CALLED SMASH TOUR
-Actual unlockables that give reasons to keep playing (seriously, SSB4 was terribly weak in that regard, with only 8 chars in Wii U and 11 in 3DS)

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I want the Resetti Assist Trophy to return from Brawl. And Sonic Boom as music.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I want Main Theme (Super Smash Bros Brawl) back as a menu screen option. The one where they’re singing in Latin ;)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I miss Saffron City. And I do not recall any other stage in the Smash games.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
A DK Newcomer! HEYOOOHHH!!!

Wait we had one of those in Brawl..right?...hmm

Oh ya ya...*ONE* of those.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom