• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What motivates a Ganon?

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
Kindda' n00b Ganon player here. First topic BTW.

I started playing Ganon because it was very fun at the start. Using the Dark Lord to crush down the skirming poor victims of his Demonic Feet and Dark Brute Power and Manliness really gives you an amazing sensation.

But when we start playing for real (REEEEAAAAAAAAAAAL) it's very frustrating. Being comboed and gimped and meteorized to the death by some non-top player really freaks me out, even if I train hard my Ganon like 1 hour per day without skipping.
I love the character. Very much! He's what keeps Brawl a fun game. But playing competitivelly...

So I would like to know what keeps you attached to Ganondorf, even if he's the slowest, bulkiest, most gimpable and combable...

I don't want to give you up, 'Dorf!!

Superspright

Smash Lord
Because if I win with Ganondorf I truly have won. It's like playing black in chess--sure you are at a disadvantage, but if you are smart enough you can win.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Ah, man. What motivates a Ganon. Where do I begin? I actually wrote a little something on the subject a few days ago on AiB. Forgive the copypasta effort, but I feel it sums everything I feel up nicely.

Being one who is in a remote region of my state, I rely on online gaming for my fix of competition. Brawl on many occasions has brought out the very worst of my competitive spirit, but concurrently, the best. The adulation for beating some as Rapedorf is so satisfying, yet, inversely, even being fully cognizant of how easy it is to lose as him, it's one of the most frustrating things in the world.

I find justification in the fact that, while I may find BS losses as Ganny, I've reached heights with Ganondorf that few have. Not to say I attained this through being innately talented, rather, blind devotion to him. <3

So, even if I can contend with an MK (not necessarily beat) I feel a sense of accomplishment. I guess my dedication to low-tiers came from Metroid: Prime Hunters. I played it for 2 years and mained Samus. Samus was arguably the most broken character in the game. Spammy morphball, insane homing missiles, etc. Towards the end of my career, I began to realize how ****ing powerful she truly was. People always complained about my Samus (granted, she wasn't MK broken, but she was still a tough cookie to beat), but I just took it in stride. It wasn't 'til I tried using Noxus (a low-tier) against a Samus that I realized all along how horrific she really was. I felt like crap all those years mercilessly molesting people with her morphball and missiles.

After that, I swore off high-tiers. I refused to accept a win that was at the hands of a handicap. So, brother in Ganondorf, fear not, for our victory lies not in victory, but in doing our best and persevering! >:U

In a word, I've mained high-tiers in past games without even knowing it. Once I had a dose of my own medicine, I felt like I had been the biggest **** on the planet who cheated wins. Ganondorf appealed to me from the very start because his style just flows in congruency with my own, but along the way, I became more and more endeared to him as the Brawl world slowly found out just how underwhelming a character he really is. The satisfaction of pulling off a taut win against a higher tier is endlessly gratifying. It makes you feel as though you've accomplished something.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ganondorf is a very FUN character.

When you hit with him, it feels very satisfying. He can combo really well, and his gimps can be totally sick.

Ganon dittos are the best matchup in this game furthermore.

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf is a very FUN character.

When you hit with him, it feels very satisfying. He can combo really well, and his gimps can be totally sick.

Ganon dittos are the best matchup in this game furthermore.
Very true. And trust me, playing Diddy Kong makes me Straked :mad: trying to get the kill that NEVER COMES!

Also, stomping rolls and repeatedly flame choking make me smile.:bee:

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Then why don't you give him up?
Unless its an official write up, don't listen to anything Kalm says. He's just a downer lol If you get a chance though, try and watch some vids of him. Even though he uploads mostly him ****** on his channel, they're still pretty fundamental, so you'll probably learn stuff regardless.

Also, check out The Feast of Blood, which is our combo video. That will show you why we don't give him up :)

Here's a list of the better Ganons and their channels
RayKalm
The Fonz
Zhouten(inactive but still *****)
Ijosh: you'll probably have more luck just searching his name
Me, though my better matches are uploaded on Stroumbert's channel

I would give you more but those are the only channels I have off the top of my head. Hope they help

Also Z1gma should help a lot. Even though he doesn't have many actual matches, his tech vids are legit, so make sure you take notes :]

Tonsana

Smash Apprentice
Its a biatch to play ganon against Mk, sheik, IC, Falco and Oli. But it is really fun against most of the rest of the cast.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
We're all masochists here.

In response to the OP, Gerudo.
Quite Agreed.

Bahamut,
Ganondorf isn't easy to be PRO with and you have to be very dedicated or something like that. Also, playing online with Ganondorf is very stressful sometimes. Summarizing, you're trying to be good with a character who has more problems than good attributes.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Kalm. Give him up dude.

We play with Ganondorf because we are all crazy and dedicated.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
For justifications that cannot be expressed in words, Ganon is the coolest character in the game.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
What motivates me?

Well, I guess I've got a soft spot for shoving down Purple Fiiiiiiia down the throat of my enemies.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
For justifications that cannot be expressed in words, Ganon is the coolest character in the game.
For me, Ganondorf is the coolest character in the game too. But it depends.

He isn't the best character in vBrawl but he is shining in Brawl+ and I'm very grateful for that.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
Thanks to everyone for the replys! =DD

What makes me want to play Ganon pro is to spit off in the "pretty boy list" (aka Tier List) in any tourney or playfest we can get around here, in Brazil, by winning from someone who is named "top" or getting top 5. Sounds crazy and selfish, I know. I want to prove Ganon is not all the trash people say he is.

What hurts more around here is people telling you non-stop to go another character because of obvious reasons! It pisses me off!!! >< And when trying to prove them wrong comes the problem... I'm awfull :V

I DO want to get better with him. Really...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Learning Ganondorf does make you a lot better at this game really fast...

However he's definitely bottom tier trash. If your opponent knows how to shield and spotdodges your grabs (Flame Choke) on reaction, there is nothing you can do. There are only two attacks Ganondorf has that are safe on block, and those are autocanceled B-air, and Up-smash, which have bad hitboxes. Your goal is basically to punish your opponent's pokes as best you can, go for the combo, and hope that you can get a gimp or land a F-smash past 70-80%.

Try to persuade your opponents to do Ganon dittos, which are the most manly, epic, and fun matchup in this game.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386

However he's definitely bottom tier trash. If your opponent knows how to shield and spotdodges your grabs (Flame Choke) on reaction, there is nothing you can do. There are only two attacks Ganondorf has that are safe on block, and those are autocanceled B-air, and Up-smash, which have bad hitboxes.

Try to persuade your opponents to do Ganon dittos, which are the most manly, epic, and fun matchup in this game.
Dairs are pretty safe if you're not aggro with 'em. That aside, you're right for the most part. He's the only character in the game that only has rock and paper out of rock, paper and scissors. He has no grab, therefore he cannot transcend shields, which is arguably why the ICs **** him so **** hard aside from other obvious facets.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Like Red8 said, watch videos, IJosh, Zhoutan, and Kalm, are all pretty amazing Ganon's. Learn the match-ups, Buffer everything, and WKC.

Good Day

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
^Golden quote

This is true.
One thing that you learn, is that you can't exactly Shuttle Loop yr *** out of everything.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
Ah, man. What motivates a Ganon. Where do I begin? I actually wrote a little something on the subject a few days ago on AiB. Forgive the copypasta effort, but I feel it sums everything I feel up nicely.

Being one who is in a remote region of my state, I rely on online gaming for my fix of competition. Brawl on many occasions has brought out the very worst of my competitive spirit, but concurrently, the best. The adulation for beating some as Rapedorf is so satisfying, yet, inversely, even being fully cognizant of how easy it is to lose as him, it's one of the most frustrating things in the world.

I find justification in the fact that, while I may find BS losses as Ganny, I've reached heights with Ganondorf that few have. Not to say I attained this through being innately talented, rather, blind devotion to him. <3

So, even if I can contend with an MK (not necessarily beat) I feel a sense of accomplishment. I guess my dedication to low-tiers came from Metroid: Prime Hunters. I played it for 2 years and mained Samus. Samus was arguably the most broken character in the game. Spammy morphball, insane homing missiles, etc. Towards the end of my career, I began to realize how ****ing powerful she truly was. People always complained about my Samus (granted, she wasn't MK broken, but she was still a tough cookie to beat), but I just took it in stride. It wasn't 'til I tried using Noxus (a low-tier) against a Samus that I realized all along how horrific she really was. I felt like crap all those years mercilessly molesting people with her morphball and missiles.

After that, I swore off high-tiers. I refused to accept a win that was at the hands of a handicap. So, brother in Ganondorf, fear not, for our victory lies not in victory, but in doing our best and persevering! >:U

In a word, I've mained high-tiers in past games without even knowing it. Once I had a dose of my own medicine, I felt like I had been the biggest **** on the planet who cheated wins. Ganondorf appealed to me from the very start because his style just flows in congruency with my own, but along the way, I became more and more endeared to him as the Brawl world slowly found out just how underwhelming a character he really is. The satisfaction of pulling off a taut win against a higher tier is endlessly gratifying. It makes you feel as though you've accomplished something.
I think your my Hero. I totally like this. I play as Ganon, Mario, Poketrainer so I know what im talking about.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I use Ganon because he is bad.

I main Jigglypuff, Link, and Falcon for the same reason.

Can someone tell me if what I am doing is wrong?

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
i actually be him because hes low on the teir list, i want to try to make him a better char by discovering new things , hes really fun to use and because at first i didnt know a lot of ppl who used him

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
To those who responded:

OK, now that I've got tabs on Kalm (aww man he's in Ontario too! :mad:), I think I've just introduced myself here.

I've watched "The Feast of Blood" around 5 times already, starting the week it came out. :D Love it. Here's my Youtube account:
Hobs
I don't have a Dazzle... And I play Wi-fi...
Which brings me to another thought. Anyone here do Wi-fi?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I use Ganon because he is bad.

I main Jigglypuff, Link, and Falcon for the same reason.

Can someone tell me if what I am doing is wrong?
Yes, what you're doing is wrong.

Jigglypuff is a good, extremely underused character. I'll argue it if I need to.

Raikou_Cypher

Smash Cadet
Dairs are pretty safe if you're not aggro with 'em. That aside, you're right for the most part. He's the only character in the game that only has rock and paper out of rock, paper and scissors. He has no grab, therefore he cannot transcend shields, which is arguably why the ICs **** him so **** hard aside from other obvious facets.
this is not cool, I get tons of shieldgrabs...I mean, a LOT of shieldgrabs. I think Ganon's grab game is becoming more important...

But why do I main Ganon...? Well, let's see...I mained Marth in melee, and when Brawl came out, I mained random while choosing a main. I can't really explain it, but I just liked how Ganon played in Brawl, and I've mained him ever since. And as most other Ganon mains have already commented, it's incredibly satisfying when you open up a can of whoop-*** on anyone. It's even better when you have an audience. Ganon is so fun to play when you're flashy. Whenever you chainchoke or thunderstorm or gimp someone really hard, all the spectators love it.

This can all be summed up in a short phrase: You don't main Ganon, Ganon mains you.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
...because it's like getting into a fist fight with Bruce Lee...and winning.....

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
this is not cool, I get tons of shieldgrabs...I mean, a LOT of shieldgrabs. I think Ganon's grab game is becoming more important...
Well I don't want to sound rude, but you have to play better people if that's happening. If you really are getting THAT many shieldgrabs, you're playing people who can't space at all and are putting themselves into a position where you have better options anyway. Ganon is like a T-Rex, and if they're spacing bad enough that they're constantly being grabbed by his stubby arms, then somethings wrong:urg:

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Yes, what you're doing is wrong.

Jigglypuff is a good, extremely underused character. I'll argue it if I need to.
We have an entire board dedicated to hating her. Come swing by the Puff Board sometime and prove us wrong.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
For the same reason I main Sonic.

When you win, you can remind them you're the lowest ranked character, and laugh.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
It's logic that Jigglypuff is so underused. It sucks and has extreme learning curve, to do well with it you must have an amazing skill.

Top Bottom