• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Made You Want To Use Sonic?

RixMaadi

Smash Cadet
For me, it was probably a huge factor of growing up with Sonic games. I was one of those who loved playing Sonic and Knuckles 3 all the time, beating the final level as Hyper Sonic over and over again.

Infact, that was probably the only factor that made me choose Sonic. I'm usually the heavy, power type player, choosing characters like Ike, Donkey Kong and ect. But the Sonic fan inside me couldn't resist using Sonic, and I've grown to be pretty decent with him. I love being able to be the fastest, have a great recover, and doing lots of fun aerial combos.

Tenki

Smash Hero
This looks like such a familiar thread.

`.`;

I was also a heavy-hitter type (woot @ Ganondorf and Ike), and I decided to play all the worst characters in Brawl.

I hated Sonic's playstyle and stuff, but then I discovered ASC and its shield cancellability/combo potential, became an attention seeker and now main Sonic.

hoorah!

loljk.

notrly.

ya rly.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Well, I was like a speed guy, so I was like, YAYYYYYYY, SONIC. Of course, I suck at him, lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
*Prepares for flames* AHEM Sonic heroes........ *runs*
that game just annoyed me,

but anyway, i have always loved sonic and his games, and his tv shows and hes always been something of a mentor to me. hes my favorite video game character of all time. I have always liked SSB, but since its nintendo, its never had any character that i was like "OMFG, thats my main, i dont care how he plays, hes my favorite so i must play him" i played 64 casually, so i just played kirby because he was my favorite character in the game, and hes cute as all hell, and i got competitive in melee, so i just played the character i played best with, which ended up beign ganon, even tho ive never played a zelda game b4.
than sonic was announced for brawl, my jaw dropped, and my mind was made the day i watched his intro video

Tenki

Smash Hero

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I remember those, which is kinda ****ed up

Anyway, this thread is kinda dumb. Everyone is going to say the same thing (execpt, Tenki, who for some reason acually kinda like Sonic's moveset.)

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
I say ur wrong memphy my boy because I am different I was a hardcore Sonic fan until Gamecube came out and Sega left the video game consule wars.
Then I became more of a Nintendo fan. I had already liked nintendo back on 64 and SuperNes. So I was like well hell the Dreamcast is dying no more Sonic coming out on it. So I got a GC frist month it came out. Then I feel in love with Animal Crossing (Im getting it for the Wii OMG...).

And little later I got melee I'd look on the internet alittle with the friends and I started seeing people saying Sonic's in Melee. Now mind u I knew he wasnt. But I kinda was like that would be kool.

So I left it alone till Wii came out and the rumors of Brawl got leeked. But at frist I was like kool new game for link to pwn in...but then I saw Mario and Sonic at the olympics...that being Nintendo and Sega's deal...I thought what nintendo getting outta this? Then I thought omg Sonic could be in brawl...

When he was announced It was parcially decided from there,(mostly from link being crap and Ike not really like I thought he would be). So there you have it.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol, i kinda set myself up for that didmnt i?

I remember those, which is kinda ****ed up

Anyway, this thread is kinda dumb. Everyone is going to say the same thing (execpt, Tenki, who for some reason acually kinda like Sonic's moveset.)
OK, on the real, im going to seriously report you if you dont cut it out with the trolling
I play Sonic because his style of play is the closest this game will get to Melee.
trufax

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic Sez never gets old does it?
And yes, I freakin' love Sonic the Hedgehog 3! Super Metal Sonic at the end was just totally bad ***. Man...Sonic WAS my childhood...

stratele

Smash Apprentice
The first time I played as sonic on SSE. I thought, naa hes rubbish. I can't control him that well. Hes weak etc

played him randomly on a regular brawl, and started to get the hang of him. Few more games, and hes now one of my mains.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sonic was made a year before I was born, the guy grew up with me, and I like him.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Sonic games were what I grew up with. They were amazing, it's a shame they're making gimpy adventures with him now with swords and ****.
And I main him...well..I don't know why. I'm better with other characters or at least on par, I just enjoy using Sonic.
And Boxob, my avatar is better than yours. Get that shit outta here.

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
I main Sonic for multiple reasons. The speed, Sega loyalty, and fond memories all play a decent role. Sonic's style and abilities also fit perfectly with my own. I love his moves and his general feel of playing as him. He's by far the most enjoyable to weave together combos with and his deceptive Spin techniques are great in terms of tactical use. Overall, he was the character that I looked forward to most.
I also find it hilarious how much people underestimate him. I thoroughly enjoy shocking people by showing that I'm more than competent with Sonic. People really tend to look down their noses at you until you start smacking them around with some rapid combos. Heh...

SSJSonic4lyfe

Smash Rookie
Wow...where do i begin?!

Okay
-Sonic was THE FIRST game i've ever played. Sega, Sonic the HedgeHog. ALWAYS loved it, all the games. They were so much fun! Pop in the cartridge, and you're set for hours of fun! The Blue Blur was one of my favorite characters ever, and i'm thinking on getting the Sonic The Hedgehog game for PS3.
-He's always going about his business in the coolest way, like his eagle strike!(read my sig) and his Blue Ball of death on the ground, side+B. oh, and his final Smash...who would've known that Sonic was a SUPER SAIYAN?!?!?!?!? XDDD i've never seen that in the games, but then again, i never followed sega that well. but yeah.
-funny and REAL taunts. none of this sitting and grunting (like fox) or spinning around doing nothing, he actually TAUNTS them...come to think of it, he's the ONLY character in the game (besides snake) that actually SAYS something!!!! "You're Too Slow" "Step It Up"....those are two of the maybe three or four said things in the game!
-He's just too cool. and stylish! He BREAKDANCES as a taunt! He Does a Jackie Chan style kick in mid-air! If you pause it at the correct second after the side+a charged move. He'll say "GO!" and bring his hand back in an awesome looking "Crouching Tiger, Hidden HedgeHog" style pose. I know because it's now my desktop background. =)
LAST ONE.
-I just love hearing that noise after he sprints and stops...."PLLT!"

Tenki

Smash Hero
So, this thread definitely isn't helping the image that Sonic mains are all Sonic fanboys.

AbsoluteZero0K

Smash Rookie
I'm a Sonic fan. That's about it. I'm terrible with him even though I have been playing with him since forever.

I have to add, I have been playing with Sonic since the game came out, but it only took me like a week to get good with Zelda. A world of a difference some priority makes.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I just recently started using Sonic. I started because I was wanting to pick up a new character to make my main for wifi, since Ice Climbers on wifi don't work well. I heard about the Tails Doll curse, it sounded interesting so I bought Sonic R, then I found out that I have the same birthday as Sonic, and after all that I figured I might as well learn to use Sonic in brawl.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
ZOMG Don't speak of that menace!

Seriously though, I pretty much shooped da whoop when I checked the Dojo and Sonic was there.
I just dig Sonic's idk lifestyle? You know not caring, eh forget it, I just liked Sonic games.
I don't even care, I'm a Sonic fanboy :p
I want Super Sonic playable in levels like in the 90's...

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
So, this thread definitely isn't helping the image that Sonic mains are all Sonic fanboys.
Well we cefenetly didnt pick him up bc he was goodor stuck with him 4 that i think is bc we like the character and want to prove to everyone that he can win....

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
That's probably because it's a true statement. You know how dedicated fanboys can be. Games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic NextGen are terrible. If those games were Sonic games, they wouldn't sell if they were made as crappy as those games game were. But of course, dedicated Sonic fanboys get at these games like it's all gravy.

But yeah. If Sonic was, like, I dunno, someone else with his moveset and his lack of priority, I probably wouldn't main Sonic. Only reason I main Sonic is because he's Sonic. Of course, I would main Knux if he was in, but hey, I play the cards I'm dealt.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well we cefenetly didnt pick him up bc he was goodor stuck with him 4 that i think is bc we like the character and want to prove to everyone that he can win....
I probably told this story a bunch of times by now, but even though I was originally a heavy-character player, I went around and decided to try the 'worst characters' in the game, and at the time, it was thought to be: Link, Charizard, Ganondorf, Sonic, Falcon, etc. So I started playing those characters, in that order, one each week.

I got to Sonic, who I initially didn't like (because the dash attack ignored momentum among other things), and by the end of that week, began the "How to kill with Sonic" thread, hoping that the real Sonic mains would like, contribute to it. Eventually, I decided to try to do everyone a favor and do some kill % testing, and I found some interesting ways to kill people (lol, the U-throw>spring B-air that everyone knows and loves, among others) and during that time, I grew to like Sonic's playstyle.

And then while doing more offline testing, I found out about ASC's multi-hit and shield cancel properties and blahblahblah, hallo Sonic metagame.

So now I main Sonic.

hah.

aside from that, I was a fan of the original Sonic games, and SA1-2. Never finished Heroes, and even though my brother got Riders and some DS games, I never really got into them.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
im a mega man and cloud strife fanboy.... sonic is pretty cool but honestly knuckles is wayyyyyy better.

but enuff about that. I chose sonic because I love his playstyle, and i see potential in it. I stuck wiht him mainly because evry1 else in brawl feels terrible to play.

Nicole

Smash Champion
I like the satisfaction you get out of winning with Sonic because he is a "crap" character and not at all respected by the majority of the smash community. I love gimping with the homing attack and killing at low percentages, there are few other characters that can kill the way he does, and none do it as well. I hate using "top tier" because everyone uses them, and Sonic has potential.

Plus, I love his old school Sega games!

P a i n

Smash Cadet
sorry for reviving a old topic.
I enjoy maining sonic as he's fun to play. Ye ok he loses matches a fair bit due to his low priority (:@), but he's fun to play with and that's really all that matters. And winning with a potentially 'low tier' character like Sonic just rubs it in when you do gimp the hell out of a MK/Snake on 30%.

phosphorus

Smash Cadet
In any fighting game, there has to be something hilarious about the character I play the most. In Sonic's case, it's his taunts, he has some of the best, but because of the complexity of Sonic's running animation, it's like a taunt unto itself.

Top Bottom