• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is something you just... don’t get about Super Smash Bros?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I don't get why super popular and continuously highly requested characters like Waluigi, Ashley, Bomberman, Midna, and Zero are trapped as Assist Trophies while characters almost no one asked for like Wii Fit, Dark Pit, Dark Samus, Ritcher, and Doctor Mario are playable instead. :c
Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario are playable because they were in past games, Richter is cause Simon’s moveset is as much from him as Simon and as Sakurai said in the Smash direct Dark Samus was highly requested.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like a debate in a thread about "just not getting it" seems counterintuitive, but...

All right, my memory didn't serve, I mixed it up, the original source was for Leif instead of Roy, and is more speculation than fact. I didn't mean to parade it as an absolute fact, and I did make that clear.

But for doubting Sakurai wanting characters that didn't exist, there ARE confirmed sources from the man himself. So let's call it a day on the debate. (Specifically confirmed for Greninja, You could make an argument for Corrin, but I'd rather not debate)
I'm well aware about Greninja's existence, but I wasn't talking about that.
Just confused as to what this talk of Eliwood came from.

I don't get why super popular and continuously highly requested characters like Waluigi, Ashley, Bomberman, Midna, and Zero are trapped as Assist Trophies while characters almost no one asked for like Wii Fit, Dark Pit, Dark Samus, Ritcher, and Doctor Mario are playable instead. :c
Well the simple answer would be Sakurai wants other characters over them.

The less simple answer would be that Sakurai wants to have a mix of unexpected surprise characters on top of the fan demands, so some fan requests will get less priority compared to others. Also, echoes don't require the same resources as a full character, so they're going to get in regardless.

osby

Smash Obsessed
All but one you listed are clones.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wasn't Dark Samus highly demanded in the west?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Well yeah, but so is getting an assist trophy or an alternate color reference, but I'm not necessarily thrilled about those either.
I think Sylux was more popular, if memory serves correct. I'd think that, if Metroid were getting a second unique newcomer, it wouldn't be Dark Samus anyway, but Sylux.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think Sylux was more popular, if memory serves correct. I'd think that, if Metroid were getting a second unique newcomer, it wouldn't be Dark Samus anyway, but Sylux.
Nah, Sylux definitely wasn't as popular as Dark Samus who was the main antagonist of 2/3 of the Prime Trilogy. I think Sylux really only picked up steam when it was announced Sylux would be the main antagonist for Prime 4.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Nah, Sylux definitely wasn't as popular as Dark Samus who was the main antagonist of 2/3 of the Prime Trilogy. I think Sylux really only picked up steam when it was announced Sylux would be the main antagonist for Prime 4.
Huh, well, I wonder if Dark Samus will return in that as well (in spite of her complete annihilation, Metroid villains are notoriously hard to permanently kill after all)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I honestly won't be surprised if Sylux is DLC to promote Metroid Prime 4.

Same reason an Fire Emblem: Three Houses character, Sora for Kingdom Hearts III and Gen 8 Pokemon may very well be so as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I dont understand why people took a mechanically simple game and forced an unnecessary amount of complexity to it.
Well, I mean, I'm not much of competitive guy myself, but if people are into that, then that's fine. I don't see the big deal here.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
It just occurred to me. Why do people care about trivial things like the amount of Fire Emblem characters, swordwielders, clones, and whatnot? Smash is about playing as your favorite videogame character to fight other videogame characters. And these characters happen to be some of the people's favorites within the videogaming community. If you're not going to play as them, that's fine. If you don't like them, that's also fine. You're not being held at gunpoint to play them every once in a while, so them being in the game shouldn't impact your enjoyment of fighting as your personal favorite character. I realize how this makes me somewhat of a hypocrite seeing how I've strongly opposed Ridley and King K. Rool's inclusion in the past, but I've recently come to terms that they are fan-favorites regardless of my disdain for them, and that there's honestly nothing I can do about them being in the game.

That being said, reps don't and shouldn't matter. So can I get more Fire Emblem characters, daddy Sakurai? :troll:

Robertroid

Smash Apprentice
Ugh...ok, here we go
  • Why people still don't grow from Melee. I got that they played competitively and such, but to think that it was the pinnacle of smash, when some things that they argue for were exploits, doesn't make sense. And Brawl was highly enjoyable too save for trippng
  • Why people like too much "No items, Fox only, final destination". I mean, I love smash, but I find the most joy when the settings are by default, aka. items, stage hazards, etc. It adds a nice factor that makes you be on higher alert. And also smash is 99% pick your favorite character and let's kick ass. Why it's so important that a char is low-tier, just pick it and get ready.
  • Why fans don't get over the fact that Waluigi won't be playable. He's already confirmed as AT and such, acknowledged by Sakurai. Sadly he won't be playable, as many others. I even remember when Waluigi was released, the hate that brought his inclusion in the Mario universe, and now....lol
  • Why people reach the point to even harass the developers just because their characters won't be in...
  • Why people think that being overly favorite is the only reason to be a fighter in smash
Ok, too much about people. Let's talk about the game
  • Why Maxim Tomato just recovers 50% life, when it's a "Maxim" tomato...
  • Why Pichu is the Gen-2 representative, when there are more awesome options like Heracross, Typhlosion, Scizor...
  • Why it takes so many iterations to declone a fighter...it gives the impression that devs are more concerned with new fighters rather than optimize the ones that they are already
  • Why they changed the funny Star KO voices from 64 to the boring ones since Brawl
Aaand since I'm reading the future, I'll leave this lovely song and I'll retire quietly...

Last edited:
Did you miss the "5-10 hours" part? I find it extremely unlikely that creating a costume, let alone a model, and making sure all the animations work with it, takes so little time.
....Well, yeah, that's definitely a stretch, but I think that was an intentional exaggeration.

But you still said earlier on that cutting the echos would result in 2-3 more unique characters IIRC, and I'm simply saying there's no way in hell that would happen.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I would love for you to prove that.
I was exaggerating on that regard, however, since I didn't work on the game, I will never be able to prove anything with a 100% certainty. But we can make educated guesses based on what the devs have told us so far to approximate us to the truth.

Source: https://sourcegaming.info/2015/08/01/smash-clones/

Someone mentioned this before, but there was this quote from Sakurai about the clones from Melee:

If I could add one or two more characters, then [Wario] could have gotten in. Of all the characters I discarded, [he’s] ranked near the top.

However, even if I didn’t work on several clone characters he wouldn’t have gotten in.

Even if I deleted characters from before (Jigglypuff, Luigi) he wouldn’t have gotten in.

You might think it’s impossible that even if we delete one character in development that it couldn’t be replaced with another character….

I would have needed to get rid of both Marth and Roy or Mewtwo in order for Wario to get in"

While it is true that clones don't take zero effort, it is silly to say that getting rid of them may net us more unique newcomers. In a lot of cases, it's unlikely that the alternative of adding a clone may result in a completely new character.
Sakurai does talk about the work they take though:

When adding a clone character, I skip some of the animation, but work on balancing is not decreased at all. Break the Targets, Trophies and more still need to be made.

For the move’s properties, I don’t directly establish the characterization or the effect.

Marth’s Shield Breaker and Roy’s Flare Blade’s difference is largely established through data.

As for programming, even though it’s only one move, increasing the character data by even one part in itself creates a lot of labor.

And finally, he sees clones as potential fan service, while also emphasizing that their deletion wouldn't bring more newcomers:

Clone characters are for the fans, through and through (literally, “clones are free/ service”).

Even if we delete one clone, the amount of new characters wouldn’t increase by one.”[6]

Warning: Deleting a clone character to increase the amount of newcomers is simply not the case.

It’s interesting to see people have different understandings.

I made them thinking that people would be happy to see them.

…it’s futile to change my mind, so stop.

This kind of information has been floating around for years. Despite of that, it's surprising to see that this community is prone to have the same misconceptions about clone characters.

It's an excuse. Don't sugar coat it. Echoes are a perfect idea but clearly we're not talking about them. We're talking about the fact that over half a dozen fighters in this game have very similar movesets and playstyles as ones we already have but they still take up space.
Roy should be an echo of Marth Chrom should then be an echo of Ike, and Lucina an echo of Corrin. Who cares if their movesets are different, their playstyles aren't.
Luigi and Dr. Mario should get their movesets revamped to not just be Mario clones or they become echoes.
Pichu should be a Pikachu echo
Young Link should be a Toon Link echo. Or Tink is a Link echo. They're all the same.
Isabelle should be a Villager echo
I clearly explained in this and in previous posts why that isn't true. They don't take space the same way other characters do. It's not an excuse, it's the truth. No amount of downplaying will make it less than it is.
And echoes is more or less the same as clones. You are seriously not thinking that because they gave it a fancy name is now suddenly an entirely different thing? The term itself is little ambiguous on what qualifies as one.

MK Leo and Ryo would laugh in your face if you told them that Marth and Roy have the same playstyles from Smash 4 onwards; while Luigi stopped being a clone since Melee and his current status in Smash fits him because in most Mario games he is head swap of Mario with different jumping height and traction (which happens to be reflected in Smash).
I have trouble understanding the rest of your post though, a lot of it seems like convoluted nonsense like you were undecided on what to say. Are you against clones and pro echoes despite fundamentally being the same thing? And I thought you people advocated unique movesets, but now you rather Isabelle be an echo Villager? The Smash fanbase can be hilariously contradictory.

Completely inaccurate portrayal of Bowser, and why they cant spend the minuscule amount of effort it would take to make Alph an echo.
Let's see... looks like Bowser, fights like Bowser, sounds like Bowser. I think your comment is the only inaccurate thing here.

To stay on topic, what I don't understand about Smash is the so-called Bowser fans who project so much of their agenda into the character that they go stretches to say that the character is inaccurately portrayed despite having received a lot of care over the years.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
So judging from what Palutena's VA said on the status of the game, Smash is a non-union project, which is probably why Cloud can't get his English VA. Why is that? Smash isn't like some random English dubbed anime or game, making the games voice-overs union wouldn't be that much of a demerit to Nintendo given how popular Smash is.

And on voices, there's Bowser's, DK characters all sound like real beasts while Bowser Jr and the Koopalings don't, and the common re-use of voice clips. Someone should ask the dev team that if they have the chance.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So judging from what Palutena's VA said on the status of the game, Smash is a non-union project, which is probably why Cloud can't get his English VA. Why is that? Smash isn't like some random English dubbed anime or game, making the games voice-overs union wouldn't be that much of a demerit to Nintendo given how popular Smash is.
Cloud was the perfect storm of union issues, pun only partially intended.

Steve Burton is a union voice actor, and because Nintendo uses non-union voice actors, any union-based actor would have to go uncredited. We see this with, for example, Antony del Rio, who goes uncredited when voicing Nintendo characters like Pit or Silas.

The issue comes in with Steve Burton's contract specifically...it requires him to be credited. That's the big issue. Granted, if I remember correctly, there was a similar issue in Brawl with David Hayter, Snake's VA. They got around it by crediting him as a "Special Guest" rather than a voice actor, if I remember correctly. I have no clue if something similar could have been done for Steve Burton though.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Cloud was the perfect storm of union issues, pun only partially intended.

Steve Burton is a union voice actor, and because Nintendo uses non-union voice actors, any union-based actor would have to go uncredited. We see this with, for example, Antony del Rio, who goes uncredited when voicing Nintendo characters like Pit or Silas.

The issue comes in with Steve Burton's contract specifically...it requires him to be credited. That's the big issue. Granted, if I remember correctly, there was a similar issue in Brawl with David Hayter, Snake's VA. They got around it by crediting him as a "Special Guest" rather than a voice actor, if I remember correctly. I have no clue if something similar could have been done for Steve Burton though.
Bummer, I would have liked to hear Cloud speak english, just hope Ray Chase doesn’t fall under this category for Roy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Bummer, I would have liked to hear Cloud speak english, just hope Ray Chase doesn’t fall under this category for Roy.
Ray Chase hasn't had any issues with Heroes and goes fully credited there, so I doubt it's an issue for Smash.

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
I don't get how there's so many similar-to-another swordsmen and women in Smash 4 and Ultimate furthers it.

Now don't quote me on this as I'm not a Fire Emblem fan at all, but the franchise has characters with all kinds and types of weaponry, from spellcasting, to bows, to different fighting styles than "generic one handed swordsman". Marth and Roy were the original, fine, Roy was easy to make because of known "Why clones are a thing" reasons. Ike has a big ass Zweihander, sweet. Robin has his/her casting and MP gauge going for it, sweet.

But Chrom and Lucina are just kind of...There. Doesn't help that the characters have similar silhouettes: Generic anime character #12. I know Chrom was highly requested and people like Lucina - She is important in one of the FE games right? - but aren't there huge behemoths of armor, cavalry and other, more interesting units than yet another swordfighter to pick from?

I don't get how we've basically got 3 (or 4) ways to play Marth in Smash now. Yes, they have different framedata, play differently from another competitively but if that's the case then we need Boshi for Yoshi that has tippers, we need Waluigi for Luigi with longer hitboxes, and so on. This is quite a silly path of walk down IMO and not one I'd like to see continue personally. Bring in more interesting FE characters, I bet there are tons of em.

Another thing I don't get: Why are there so many counter moves in Smash? Seriously, it seems like since Smash 4 if a character even had the possibility of having a counter, they got one. With some it makes sense like the aforementioned FE cast, Little Mac and to a lesser degree Palutena, but so many characters have a counter just cause. Bleh.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
The sword favoritism is mostly because almost all of the protagonists are primarily sword wielders, Chrom and Lucina are in because Awakening literally saved the franchise (to the chagrin of some older fans who really don't like the direction the series took with it), and they are Marth clones most likely because they are distant descendants of Marth, who wield the same sword, and Lucina briefly masquerades as him.

Plus, as fairly normal "guy with sword" characters they don't really have any distinguishing features to work with in order to set them apart, unlike Robin's magic, Corrin's dragon blood, and Ike's penchant for oversized weaponry.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why there are so many irrelevant or small or bad game modes in a series with such ammount of great characters, instead of better and more complete and with more sense of progress game modes. There are game modes that looks like browser angry birds minigames, or a bad random board game that no one cares, or there are game modes that works like a tournament with some rounds and then.. it's over, you finish in one afternoon and then you feel there's no other good singleplayer content to play when you are tired of the regular smash battles. I would not care about the irrelevant extra modes being on the game if it also had any decent singleplayer content too, but that has not been the case in most smash games. I have the feeling they waste their time developing game modes that no one cares, or only a few will enjoy and even less people will enjoy for continuous play.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I.e., (mostly modern) protagonist favoritism. Also probably laziness.
Pardon? Modern? I don't understand that part. The original swordboy Marth, Marth 2: Revenge of Marth, Alm, Celica, Sigurd, Seliph, Leif, old Fire Emblem was full of sword-wielding protagonists. Why, one could say that "guy with sword" IS Fire Emblem!

At any rate, more on topic, thought of one more thing to put on the list.

How did tripping even make it into Brawl? Sure, we know Sakurai put it in because he just thought it was funny. But did the fact that random tripping was absolutely infuriating not come up at all during play testing? Casual or competitive, that was one of the game's most reviled features.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario are playable because they were in past games, Richter is cause Simon’s moveset is as much from him as Simon and as Sakurai said in the Smash direct Dark Samus was highly requested.
I thought in the case of Wii Fit Trainer that its because Wii Fit sold rather well.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Pardon? Modern? I don't understand that part. The original swordboy Marth, Marth 2: Revenge of Marth, Alm, Celica, Sigurd, Seliph, Leif, old Fire Emblem was full of sword-wielding protagonists. Why, one could say that "guy with sword" IS Fire Emblem!

At any rate, more on topic, thought of one more thing to put on the list.

How did tripping even make it into Brawl? Sure, we know Sakurai put it in because he just thought it was funny. But did the fact that random tripping was absolutely infuriating not come up at all during play testing? Casual or competitive, that was one of the game's most reviled features.
Most of the Fire Emblem characters playable in Smash are from Awakening on, and the only lords in the series who begin with a weapon other than a sword were in games before Awakening.

In regards to tripping, I imagine Sakurai just didn't give a **** about what the other play testers thought, or they were too afraid to tell him it was ****ing awful.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Most of the Fire Emblem characters playable in Smash are from Awakening on, and the only lords in the series who begin with a weapon other than a sword were in games before Awakening.

In regards to tripping, I imagine Sakurai just didn't give a **** about what the other play testers thought, or they were too afraid to tell him it was ****ing awful.
sakurai takes his team suggestions very seriously which is why we got corrin

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I imagine Sakurai just didn't give a **** about what the other play testers thought,
That or the playtesters were just forced into party-mode 4 player FFAs and couldn't really give accurate feedback based on that.

It's really annoying when Sakurai is so self-driven that it takes a huge amount of backlash for him to change something.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It was probably put in to prevent dash dancing and/or dash attack spamming. Of course, like stale move negation, it didn't turned out well.

Brawl development was pretty loaded for a number of reasons, I can get why there are so many balance issues.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Why do so many people have so many sticks up their butts about 3rd party.

There can be so many great sonic characters to use.
Sonic Tails Knuckles Eggman Shadow Silver Amy are all good options

MainJPW

M.T.A
And he started it with my boi..... and my boi ended up winning (probably) :yoshi:
Okay, so... not only does Mario start the fight by unnecessarily tripping Yoshi, DK also joins Mario to gang up on him for no reason.

How does Yoshi manage to keep his composure after bull**** like this? Good thing he gets his revenge.

Top Bottom