• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is something you just... don’t get about Super Smash Bros?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
This game can be pretty confusing. I wonder why they picked the title, is it cashing in on the success of Mario? Is it because you snash your bros? It’s weird?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Why did they keep putting Sakurai in charge after Brawl? Why is Nintendo so afraid of competitions using its games? Is everyone in charge at Nintendo an old man?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
The lack of DK representation when it's such a huge franchise. Glad we got K Rool, but Dixie where you at? :)

Also I agree with the title itself but mostly for the "Bros" part, when we had a female (Samus) in the original game.

That's about it for now.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Why did Bowser used to move like that? I know they fixed it for Smash Wii U, but I still want to know the reasoning for Bowser's old dash animation.

Also, why is Sakurai so against giving monster characters their proper voice? I thought voice actors were treated like rock stars in Japan.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That unlike other characters that had been deconfirmed. People don't go on about it yet still clamors for Waluigi despite being an assist trophy once more.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Why did they keep putting Sakurai in charge after Brawl? Why is Nintendo so afraid of competitions using its games? Is everyone in charge at Nintendo an old man?
funny enough, i heard they brought in new young people to work on breath of the wild, which is why that game was so different.

as for sakurai... well, smash bros is literally HIS creation... he created it on his own as a side project, so it makes sense he'd be the one always in charge of it.

anyway... the thing i don't get about smash bros is... why sakurai keeps putting himself through hell for a bunch of ungrateful brats.

that's about it... i do hope the man gives himself a break, or hands the wheel to someone else and just serves as a consultant or something, the guy is breaking himself, it honestly worries me.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
If being obscure outside of Japan is a factor for a character to NOT become playable in Smash, what about Marth and Roy?
Don't get me wrong; I realize Fire Emblem was popular in Japan at that time. But they added Roy, which was for advertising his game that never saw release in the West. They were even going to be cut in the Western version of Melee before they were kept due to popular demand I believe. And it was a great move because it opened Fire Emblem to the West and is now one of Nintendo's successful series worldwide.
What I don't get is this; Marth and Roy proved that Japan only characters can work, and could boost their popularity worldwide. Yet, why is Sakurai still allergic to adding Japan only obscure characters? Especially in this time and age where a quick internet search will help you learn about all those obscure Japan only series? It's not 2001 anymore. The fact that he didn't add Takamaru in Smash 4 due to obscurity, yet he tested the water with Marth and Roy, screams hypocrisy to me.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
- Sakurai getting so upset about SSE scenes being shown on youtube, like get over it, that's a real **** reason to take it away. I don't care for his reasoning, seems more selfish than him caring about people spoiling themselves. If you don't want to get spoiled you don't watch the vids, pretty easy. His choices in general usually have me very confused.

- Why Ganondorf still isn't Ganondorf, it's like they take the tiniest steps each installment to set him aside from a character he has nothing in common with. We will never get the true Ganondorf who floats, relfects projectiles with his cloak and uses Dead Man's Volley. At least there's a decent reason, some people have gotten used to how he is and wouldn't want him to change in smash, even if it meant he'd be more like the actual character....sounds stupid when I say it but meh. Like hell, just make a second Ganondorf more true to his canon appearances, it's not like having one Zelda character be represented by multiple fighters is freakin' taboo at this point.

- While we're on LoZ series, as one of Nintendo's biggest franchises it's got really crappy representation. 3 Links, 2 Zeldas (spoilers!), and Ganondorf, really hoping Skull Kid can make it in as playable, but I bet he'll end up a boss.

- I don't understand why anyone was cut in the first place (Ice Climbers missing 4 because of limitations on 3DS gets a pass) seeing as even if they do redo the characters from the ground up each time, I mean they have plenty to work with to make transferring the characters over pretty easy no? Very little changes in most characters moves.

- Little variety in a bunch of Fire Emblem characters, so much to work with and they really fail at showing it. Japan loves their pretty sword waifus too much. If only Hector was prettier I guess?

- Melee being alive, cool for it's fans, but I still think its just a broken game and without exploiting things it feels clunky and limiting after going back to it after Brawl and 4. Don't get mad, ima filthy casual that just likes playing the newest game out.

- This is a super bias, personal, and weird one I guess, but having Mario, Luigi, and Wario but not Waluigi is like an incomplete set imo and that's something that irks me hard. As unlikely as it seems if there is one character that Sakurai will allow to sneak and cheat his way in, it's the Wah.

I'm sure I'll have more later.

All Hail Me

Sarge
I’m confused as to why they are fighting and trying to kill each other, why can’t they all just get along.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Why is it that Sakurai's said himself that for Smash 64 it started with Mario, Fox, DK and Samus as well as what it shows in the debug menu for the game yet it's inconsistent with the ordering in Ultimate? Like Link being #2.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Inconsistent voice portrayals for some of the Mario universe characters. The following characters all kept their voice portrayals from the Super Mario games.
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Daisy
  5. Dr. Mario
  6. Rosalina
  7. Bowser Jr.
  8. The Koopalings
  9. Yoshi
  10. Wario
And yet, the following don't sound anything like their usual selves.
  1. Bowser
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Diddy Kong
  4. King K. Rool
We're well past the days of Brawl and its more realistic art style. Additionally, the Mario universe has heavily focused on a cartoonish art style, which applies to the Donkey Kong, Yoshi's Island, and Wario games as well. And while I am aware that King K. Rool has been absent for 10+ years, he was last voiced by Toshihide Tsuchiya (the same person who still voices Funky Kong).

Also, nearly all of the playable Pokemon don't even come close to sounding like real world animals. Obviously, this is due to the fact that they're Game Freak's property.

In the case of Ridley, he is from a more realistic franchise, so it's very understandable why he sounds like a realistic beast.

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
I just don't understand how Smash Brawl could have possibly the sequel to the so successful and competitive Melee. Why did Sakurai do this?
- Every competitive Melee player.

Seriously though, the thing I actually don't understand is why Sakurai would take good organization of UI and throw it out the window. He shown that he is capable of getting it right, has done so on multiple occasions, and even made improvement from Melee to Brawl. Did he just botch Sm4sh's main menu in spite of the other two games? And what the hell is this joke of organization supposed to represent? Or this one for that matter.

I just don't understand why Sakurai made future titles noncompetitive. the menus so terrible and hard to navigate in later games. Did you know we call Sm4sh's menu system the second Great Maze in game club at my school?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sakurai's statements about 'keeping characters representative of themselves' and then taking one look at some of the Mario series:

:ultmario:: Happy go lucky joyful individual outside of Smash even when he's fighting his arch nemesis. In Smash he's seeing the red mist at ALL TIMES.
:ultpeach:: Pure passive Princess who is friends to all. In Smash up until Ultimate she's forcefully using her subjects as meatshields and sexually using her hips and ass to attack.
:ultluigi:: Scaredy cat with bad luck that's played for laughs. In Smash he's an absolute weirdo who can defy the laws of physics by shooting himself as a missle, that weird as **** banana plank taunt that was his Sm4sh render(ruining his amiibo forever) and had the Negative Zone as a Final Smash in Brawl as if he's part of an occult dark arts group.
:ultrosalina:: Mother to the Lumas, protector and carer. In Smash she seems to control them to fight her enemies for her whilst keeping her distance.
:ultdoc:: See Mario but in a doctors coat.
:ultbowser:: Depending on the Smash game depends on how animalistic he is. Bowser's capable of thought in his own series whilst here he's sometimes just a wild savage animal.

Like, that's not very accurate to the character at all.

And then there's the old comments about :ultvillager: being too peaceful and now we even have :ultisabelle: who is a pacifist(like Peach supposedly is) now picking up a death scythe to murder the villain's gallery of Nintendo.

And then we have :ultridley: who was deemed for ages to not be suitable for playable because of size,
:ultganondorf: who until recently arguably had little to do with his Zelda incarnation despite what people will defend("Oh, he represents power because he punches which is considered brutal so yeah very accurate")
:ultlucina: who doesn't actually play like :ultmarth: in Awakening despite cosplaying as him in it. No, her playing like Marth isn't simply justified because she disguised herself as him once. That's reaching.
:ultjigglypuff: who's 'Rest' move is a OHKO that doesn't even mildly heal her.
:ultshulk: who seems to have swapped personalities with Mario. Going from 'GONNA COMMIT GENOCIDE' to cheerfully stealing his friend's slogans and erasing Reyn from Smash players memory.

I'm sure theres more as well, but those are the most glaring examples of Sakurai's 'gotta stay faithful to the source material' being utter bull**** to me.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Why the community is continually so ok with clones and semi-clones.
Some of the arguments I've seen for justifying clones are ridiculous.
Like "They don't take much development time" or "padding rosters is good!"

D

Deleted member

Why the swordfighter hate? I get that there are multiple characters derived from either Link or Marth, but just because a character happens to wield a sword does not mean they can't be unique.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Why my girl Zelda gotta be forgotten in the tr4sh realm while her alter ago is one of the best characters in the game? Why would you put in so much work on Sheik when the real Zelda isnt even relevant in Smash. Doesn't make sense to me. that's is probably one of the only things that get under my skin and that I dont understand. :(

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
The fact that we've had the animalistic voices of Bowser and Donkey Kong since Brawl. Why.

Also the shunning of any Zelda character outside of the Main 3.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
That there's next to no music from Wario Land. I get WarioWare's bigger, but surely a few more tracks couldn't hurt? The neglect of Paper Mario music (other than that medley which includes the amazing Rogueport remix) is also baffling.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why is it that Sakurai's said himself that for Smash 64 it started with Mario, Fox, DK and Samus as well as what it shows in the debug menu for the game yet it's inconsistent with the ordering in Ultimate? Like Link being #2.
Because Smash Ultimate numbering roughly follows the order of reveals. Since characters didn't really revealed for the first game, I think they just followed the CSS.

StormC

Smash Hero
Some of the arguments I've seen for justifying clones are ridiculous.
Like "They don't take much development time" or "padding rosters is good!"
I mean, either the clones are in the game or it’s nothing. Clones are usually added after the core roster is decided on. As long as they’re good choices (less Dark Pit, more Falco), what’s the issue?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, either the clones are in the game or it’s nothing. Clones are usually added after the core roster is decided on. As long as they’re good choices (less Dark Pit, more Falco), what’s the issue?
Um, what's your definition of good? Because we already had Daisy and Dark Samus.

StormC

Smash Hero
Um, what's your definition of good? Because we already had Daisy and Dark Samus.
Dark Pit was a controversial choice for a character at the time. I would have rather seen Dark Pit as an alt and promote Alph as a clone instead in Smash 4.

Now that Dark Pit is an “echo fighter” it’s whatever but at the time I would have rather seen a character from another series get a character than Kid Icarus, and I say this as a huge fan of Uprising. Palutena was all that was needed.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dark Pit was a controversial choice for a character at the time. I would have rather seen Dark Pit as an alt and promote Alph as a clone instead in Smash 4.

Now that Dark Pit is an “echo fighter” it’s whatever but at the time I would have rather seen a character from another series get a character than Kid Icarus, and I say this as a huge fan of Uprising. Palutena was all that was needed.
Dark Pit was controversial because he was a secret character. He's not in a different boat than Wolf, Toon Link or Lucina, they all got plenty of hate at first.

And... I don't think Dark Pit stole the slot of Alph. He was simply derived from a basic, simple fighter. Making a clone of Olimar, who uses different attack properties all the time and Pikmin, which are a pain to program.

Sakurai doesn't add clones because they are necessary or contribute to series balance. They are mostly well liked and easy to make, that's all.

StormC

Smash Hero
Dark Pit was controversial because he was a secret character. He's not in a different boat than Wolf, Toon Link or Lucina, they all got plenty of hate at first.

And... I don't think Dark Pit stole the slot of Alph. He was simply derived from a basic, simple fighter. Making a clone of Olimar, who uses different attack properties all the time and Pikmin, which are a pain to program.

Sakurai doesn't add clones because they are necessary or contribute to series balance. They are mostly well liked and easy to make, that's all.
Lucina wasn’t a secret character since she was revealed along with Robin though, so the hate was downplayed. Dark Pit was usually a top pick for “characters I don’t want to see” on Smash lists, at least in the West, so there was definitely a lot of hate for that reason since he was seen as a generic edgy clone character (even if Uprising gave him some character development). I remember during the ESRB leak people were saying “this is fake, Dark Pit is a joke character.”

Wolf was certainly controversial but a lot of that was the perception that he stole Krystal’s spot even though we know now that’s not true. Toon Link I think people were just “meh” about since he was perceived as an upgraded Young Link more or less.

Regardless of how Sakurai perceived clones, I think they’re best used for series that are lacking characters or highly requested characters that don’t quite make sense as a unique fighter like Daisy and Chrom. For a lot of people, two Kid Icarus newcomers was overkill, especially one treated mostly as a joke pick. There were certainly other options for an easy clone but Sakurai settled on Dark Pit and that’s the world we live in.

At least now echo fighters are upfront so there’s less outrage over them...but still some.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Lucina wasn’t a secret character since she was revealed along with Robin though, so the hate was downplayed. Dark Pit was usually a top pick for “characters I don’t want to see” on Smash lists, at least in the West, so there was definitely a lot of hate for that reason since he was seen as a generic edgy clone character (even if Uprising gave him some character development). I remember during the ESRB leak people were saying “this is fake, Dark Pit is a joke character.”

Wolf was certainly controversial but a lot of that was the perception that he stole Krystal’s spot even though we know now that’s not true. Toon Link I think people were just “meh” about since he was perceived as an upgraded Young Link more or less.

Regardless of how Sakurai perceived clones, I think they’re best used for series that are lacking characters or highly requested characters that don’t quite make sense as a unique fighter like Daisy and Chrom. For a lot of people, two Kid Icarus newcomers was overkill, especially one treated mostly as a joke pick. There were certainly other options for an easy clone but Sakurai settled on Dark Pit and that’s the world we live in.

At least now echo fighters are upfront so there’s less outrage over them...but still some.
There weren't really much options, though. All clones in Smash For were made up from alt-costumes, so there was Koopalings, Dr. Mario, Lucina, Dark Pit and Alph.

Also, Wolf got the exact same reaction you described. He seemed an overkill, adding a third character to Star Fox while Metroid and DKC still have two and Mario got nobody. There is a reason "Landmaster" was such a big meme. In both cases, I got great characters, so it's fine by me.

And... echoes were always upfront? It's just people are dumb and need a fancy term to get what they are actually are.

StormC

Smash Hero
There weren't really much options, though. All clones in Smash For were made up from alt-costumes, so there was Koopalings, Dr. Mario, Lucina, Dark Pit and Alph.

Also, Wolf got the exact same reaction you described. He seemed an overkill, adding a third character to Star Fox while Metroid and DKC still have two and Mario got nobody. There is a reason "Landmaster" was such a big meme. In both cases, I got great characters, so it's fine by me.

And... echoes were always upfront? It's just people are dumb and need a fancy term to get what they are actually are.
When I say “up front” I mean they aren’t secret characters anymore. People would react differently if the last fighter you unlocked was Daisy.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Why Smash 4 didn't get character costume alts as DLC. I mean come on that seemed like a money gold mine right there! Glad Ultimate is changing that with a few characters.

Why Melee is still so highly regarded.

Why big characters like Krystal, Waluigi, Zero, Knuckles, Shovel Knight get assist trophy status. IMO assist trophies should JUST be basic enemy mooks or one-off boss characters or stuff like Pong that would never be playable.

*Puts up flame shield* but why are we still adding items into Smash Bros at this point.

Smash Tour's existence who was asking for that and who came up with the execution and thought THAT was acceptable.

Top Bottom