• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is a Wobbling ban?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Peach is only 1 character.
True, almost forgot that IC´s are indeed 2 characters and therefore is broken due to desynching alone (even though noone plays on that level).

She is a very liable counter to that certain strategy(characters) and puff is way more centralizing with her rest(autowobbling in air, that can't fail) and (haven´t gotten there yet) ledgecamping

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Maybe that's true If they just ment grabs in general but obviously they mean grabs with wobbling conditions.
I thought that my statement would have implied getting grabs that allow for wobbling considering the thread and everything we have been discussing thus far, but I guess making that kind of assumption was silly and a vast overestimation.

Zone

Smash Champion
I thought that my statement would have implied getting grabs that allow for wobbling considering the thread and everything we have been discussing thus far, but I guess making that kind of assumption was silly and a vast overestimation.
Texting ** correction for the last sentence

Sorry I wasn't clear with what I ment. I didn't mean to say thats what you ment(general grabs) I was just saying i believe getting grabs with ice climbers can happen quite often( general grabbing w/o wobbling) and can sometimes me miss understood that their landed grab would have been a
Wobble which it wouldn't have. I guess I'm saying their landed grabs that aren't wobble worthy sometimes make people auto-think that was a wobble opportunity just by grab count alone

Now that you quoted that and said that I realize how poorly I presented that I'm quick testing in this thread while working :(

Bones0

Smash Legend
She is a very liable counter to that certain strategy(characters) and puff is way more centralizing with her rest(autowobbling in air, that can't fail) and (haven´t gotten there yet) ledgecamping
Rest =/= Wobbling

Rest is really high risk. If you miss, they get a free punish in any way they want. Even if they hit the rest they either survival DI and live with an extra 30% or DI sideways and come back and punish anyway. I don't even see Jiggs players bother going for rests anymore if they are down stocks because they won't want to rest and get fsmashed for a trade.

Wobbling is relatively safe because it's just a grab. If you miss you can get punished, but most of the rest punishes aren't fast enough to work on grabs. If you get the grab, you get a free kill and they can't DI or punish afterward.

Go watch some of Hbox's matches from Pound. Rest is anything BUT centralizing. It can turn the tide of matches pretty quickly, but only if the opponent is reckless. It's a lot easier to avoid getting rested all game (DI uthrows and hit your techs and you are usually good) than it is to avoid getting grabbed all game (don't miss L-cancels; if you don't have a shine you have to space everything; don't shield at the wrong time; don't miss techs; and way more stuff).

As far as ledge camping, WTF ledge camps and wins? No one good, certainly. People can ***** about how *** stuff on the ledge is (I do since I main Falco and play a Marth player 95% of the time), but at the end of the day the ledge isn't the best place to be for any matchup.

That being said, I don't bother banning Wobbling at my tournaments. Usually grabs would result in death anyway as long as they chain grab properly. You get a free smash for every grab as it is. I am pretty sure that's why most people hate wobbling. It made all the cool and difficult IC chain grabs obsolete and substituted it with an easy, simple pummel tilt combination. People can't DI out of correctly done handoffs and some other chain grabs depending on the character, but you don't hear them complain because the **** is actually hard. If ICs had no options out of grabs before wobbling, people would still think it's ***, but they wouldn't ban it because it would actually add something to their viability. Wobbling isn't broken because it's barely any better than their regular grabs. The fact that it's so much easier is why people hate it.

Zone

Smash Champion
Thanks for the clarification. :)
My fault for being about as vague and general as I could get. :) I was just trying to say why someone might think that way. Not to say your opinion is Wrong you're probably right, just opening the window of possibility

A few of them do tend to make it sound almost near impossible

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Cactuar: IC mains have somebody they practice with that knows how to deal with their silly tricks. Most "easy" grabs from ICs are extremely avoidable when the opponent knows what they're doing. And grabs that meet the requirement for the infinite even more so.

It's funny really, because I've always thought that non IC players have characters that are much better at getting grabs and consequently *over*estimate how easy getting grabs is with them.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
As much as I do really loathe the ice climbers, it hasn't been demonstrated that wobbling makes ice climbers broken. To the advocates of anti-ban: Host your own tournament, or convince someone to host one where wobbling isn't banned, and see how it turns out.
A reasonable opinion on Smashboards? Are you a wizard

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I'm referring more towards how you guys complain about other characters having better grabs. I rarely just get a grab in on my opponent. Usually, I combo or tech chase into it. When I play ICs, its the same thing.

Most of the time I'm playing against IC players, I end up laughing at the number of times I get tech chase dsmashed or tech chase ANYTHING NOT A GRAB. I mean really, in most situations you can land a dsmash, you could have successfully grabbed. Even then, at lower percents, a downsmash sends at a low angle and not terribly far, so its an easy tech chase to grab because of the enormous movement range provided by their WD.

I'm not basing my statement on my play with other characters. I'm basing my statement on my play with ICs.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I'm referring more towards how you guys complain about other characters having better grabs. I rarely just get a grab in on my opponent. Usually, I combo or tech chase into it. When I play ICs, its the same thing.

Most of the time I'm playing against IC players, I end up laughing at the number of times I get tech chase dsmashed or tech chase ANYTHING NOT A GRAB. I mean really, in most situations you can land a dsmash, you could have successfully grabbed. Even then, at lower percents, a downsmash sends at a low angle and not terribly far, so its an easy tech chase to grab because of the enormous movement range provided by their WD.

I'm not basing my statement on my play with other characters. I'm basing my statement on my play with ICs.
EVEN FUNNIER is that I've thought the same thing and I always got pissed at Chu when he would never go for the easy grabs that fell into his lap.

Again though, I get these setups demoralizingly infrequently as people get experience against me. I've played entire sets against people where I just have to win without landing a meaningful grab.

Edit:

YOU CANNOT ELIMINATE YOUR TEXT SIR, I HAVE IT IMMORTALIZED IN QUOTES.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Very well. It has been replaced with the original text.

<3

Back when I was actually playing ICs frequently, over the long term I started to notice my creativity regarding approach/defense gradually decline until I would use one or two strategies the entire time I would play someone, despite being fully capable, in both tech skill and knowledge, of using many many more options. I've never really experienced that before with any other character.

Chu gets those setups more than any IC player I've seen, but it might also be a result of him NOT taking full advantage of them, as the person is not quite as hesitant to put themselves in a slightly more risky situation.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The best way to avoid getting grabbed by ICs is to bait Nana off the stage with hotcakes and syrup. Then grab Popo so he can't save her.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
ICs freeze glitch never should have been banned imo.
If people can figure out a rule to force IC players to death combo with it immiediately otherwise get DQ'd that's discrete and enforcable, then yea, go nuts.

As it stands, there's no way to stop it from being used as an infinite stall without banning it completely, so it gets banned, saavy?

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I think it is a lot easier to enforce followup rules on freeze glitch than it is on wobbling.

Freeze glitch is legal.

If opponent SDIs outside of grab range intentionally, opponent automatically loses match.

If IC accidentally ices opponent, IC automatically loses.

If IC does not do damage to opponent in freeze glitch for a period of more than a few seconds, ICs forfeit match.

IC must regrab opponent once they reach 300+ percent, else ICs forfeit match.

Or

If ICs succesfully freeze glitch your character, you automatically lose that stock.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I think it is a lot easier to enforce followup rules on freeze glitch than it is on wobbling.

Freeze glitch is legal.

If opponent SDIs outside of grab range intentionally, opponent automatically loses match.

If IC accidentally ices opponent, IC automatically loses.

If IC does not do damage to opponent in freeze glitch for a period of more than a few seconds, ICs forfeit match.

IC must regrab opponent once they reach 300+ percent, else ICs forfeit match.

Or

If ICs succesfully freeze glitch your character, you automatically lose that stock.
Not quite perfect Cact.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
It's 4am and I'm super tired and not really feeling like reading through this thread, but I think that a definition for wobbling should be pretty obvious if I understand it correctly.

Wobbling requires that you control nana and popo separately, right? The Ice climbers player has to press A to attack with popo, then press A AGAIN to attack with nana between the pummels from popo, right? So why not just have an input limit? Every time you press A, it has to correspond to a pummel from popo, you can't press A (or any other button combination, say down B) at a time when it won't cause popo to make another pummel. This will let ice climbers pummel but not wobble.

Though, for the record, I think that wobbling should be legal. But that isn't what this thread is about.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
At a practical level, no rule limiting what a person can do in-game is really enforcible when no one is watching. You pause the game and run over "oh noes this person just wobbled me DQ him." Then it's your word vs theirs.

But I think that my definition would hold up pretty well if there was an audience or a recording. You can easily see that someone would be pressing A more than they would need to in order to perform just pummels with popo. Of course, we'd be having the problem pro sports have with bad calls, but I've given you an actual, solid definition that pretty much covers wobbling, which I believe is what you were asking for in this thread.

EDIT: My rule needs to have the exceptions of inputs that break the grab, such as smashes and throws.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=95566

My understanding of wobbling is based off this thread, so excuse me if I'm wrong.

Wobbling requires the player to perform the pummel, then perform an additional input to tilt or down B BEFORE THE NEXT PUMMEL INPUT to make it so that that the two climbers alternate their attacks.

My suggestion is, is that the inputs of the IC's player should be limited to JUST PRESSING A FOR THE PUMMEL. The IC's player than has to wait for popo to finish that pummel, and then is only allowed to press A a single extra time to make popo pummel again. No extra inputs to make Nana do something else before the pummel is complete, besides something that would end the grab such as a smash. No tilting the control stick to make nana tilt instead of grab. You can only press A at the rate that would make popo pummel like any other character with a single jab from nana at the same time. This should prevent any infinites.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Ok, we let people get one accidental press, which has to be a standard jab (no tilting, that's kinda hard to do accidentally, just take your freaking finger off the control stick)

I was actually going to put that in the last post but was too lazy to XD.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Ok, so then it's even easier... Just limit people to pressing the A button unless they're smashing or throwing... I don't see why this was hard. (Still don't think wobbling should be banned at all)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Must have been pretty hard if you are the first person to suggest it in 16 pages.

So, yeah, this thread can be locked now and any pro-wobbling ban TOs should replace the "Wobbling is banned" rule.

Top Bottom