• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What happens to melee when Brawl is released?

Bnin23

Smash Rookie
So Brawl is coming out on December 3rd. I really wanna know, what will happen 2 the fan base of melee when that day comes? Is there even a reason 2 strive for improvement in melee anymore, are you all going 2 abandone the game once brawl is released? Just wondering!

Bnin23

Smash Rookie
well that's obviously a good and thought of point. But again, melee is a much bigger game than ssb was. The competitive scene of melee is unlike any I have ever seen before, and far greater than ssb. Im sure the smash scene will advance to brawl, but does it completely throw melee out of the scene? Will it still be taken seriously? Or will it be "that game". The game that you pop in once in a while for no apparent reason. I duno, if brawl is better than there is really nothing to worry about. But if it is worse, easy( no wd etc), than its like we are forced to move on to a new game that doesn't offer us what its predecessor did. Which is very awkward if you ask me!

Star105

Smash Journeyman
well when brawl first comes out alot of people will play SSMB before playing melee so they can compare differ ences and see which is better (in their opinion). soon though melee will be played occasionally for people who want to see how their skills fair in melee compared to Brawl then eventually melee will only be played by people who don't have brawl and only occasionally by people who do.

personally i will try to play both :laugh::)

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
To tell you the truth, I'm kind of getting sick of SSBM. After all of these years, it's starting to get boring. It needs a change, and that change is Brawl. Brawl will definitely replace it.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's not like Reggie can say.. "Ya brawl is pretty good, but it's not as good as melee".

He has to hype it.

ToXn

Smash Journeyman
Cuz I'm sure that reggie knows what makes a good competitive smash game. =/

I see this game staying the way it is pretty much. Look at street fighter. People play almost all of them.

It'll be cool when we can finally play all 3 smashes on the same system.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Well, I'm not touching melee again after release. And, it is kind of getting boring, but thats probably of course of brawl on its way.

Ever since i saw the first trailer, it was tough to play it.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
It'll most likely become less popular and keep a small playerbase. I don't think the melee tournaments will stop, untill at least one year of brawl.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
It will become less popular, but to a lesser extent then the original did when Melee came out, simply because Melee became much more popular to the competitive world, and you can simply pop in SSBM into your Wii, instead of having to keep your GCN. The possibility of SSB being on the virtual console is quite high so we may someday be able to play all 3 smash brothers games on one system.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Itd be cool if we could have tournaments with both games in the lineup :). Think about it guys, itd make the travel way more worth it (not saying it isnt already), but getting to play in both melee and brawl tournament per tournament trip would be just so awesome ^_^

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
The same thing that happened to SSB when melee came out.
A vast majority of melee fans switch to brawl, and we only play melee for nostalgia, and the orignal, for SUPER nostalgia.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
It depends on how Brawl turns out. If it's everything Melee is and more, then a lot more people will move over than say if Brawl does not live up to expectations.

People will still play Melee though, but nowhere near as many as at the moment. Melee competitions will get smaller and become more intimate with the playerbase being smaller.

But that's just stating the obvious.

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
even though i've only been playing melee for about a year.....i probably will make the full switch to brawl....unless they remove ice climbers...then i'll pop back and play the parka twins once in a while

A-Laon

Smash Master
Melee's competitive community still has immense momentum behind it, and I sincerely doubt that Brawl would be enough to bring it an abrupt halt. Melee will likely have another year or so of life before Brawl effectively takes over the scene completely. Then again, if Brawl isn't deemed a worthy competitive sequel, we could potentially be looking at Melee for much, much longer.

Sensai

Smash Master
Is there just one random idiot who loves making these topics? 'Cause I see about five or six new ones per day.

It's been covered (I'm sure), but the same thing will happen to Melee that happened to Smash 64.

64 :: Melee = Melee :: Brawl.

Truegamer#1

Smash Ace
I think people are gonna Brawl more than Melee, but its too soon to say whats gonna happen to melee, tournaments for melee are still gonna continue (hopefully), but the fact is that when we buy a game, we want to unlock everything first, so Melee should last at least a Month or two, before it officially dies.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
in my oppinion, that depends on how is brawl, i stopped playing ssb when ssbm came out because ssbm was better, lets see if ssbb is better than ssbm, if its, i think ill stop playing, of course i have plaed ssb still a lil, when im bore XD

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
There's always going to be fans of SSBM when Brawl comes out, just like how there's still fans of the original SSB now that SSBM has won the hearts of many.

Bnin23

Smash Rookie
Is there just one random idiot who loves making these topics? 'Cause I see about five or six new ones per day.

It's been covered (I'm sure), but the same thing will happen to Melee that happened to Smash 64.

64 :: Melee = Melee :: Brawl.
Well I'm not an idot ( last time I checked) , and what is that your signature post in all the multiple threaded topics? "MAN WHO MAKES THIS CRAP, I SAW IT ALREADY". Come on if you saw the thread already just don't read it, jerkiness not needed.

And to everyone else, I know we will move to brawl. It's just that I honestly think melee is just so different from everything else out there. The way it's followed, and how involved the real smashers are with the game is unlike I have ever seen. So seeing it is going to be interesting to see the transition from melee to brawl, especially if brawl lacks that "it" factor that melee obviously has.

Sensai

Smash Master
Jerkiness not needed, probably true.

But I figure if I can help rid the boards of all dumb topics by presenting myself as an *******, then it's my service to the boards to do it.

Same reasoning goes behind why I'm a **** to all idiots.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
To tell you the truth, I'm kind of getting sick of SSBM. After all of these years, it's starting to get boring. It needs a change, and that change is Brawl. Brawl will definitely replace it.
Ok yeah brawl will replace it for you. But if you think you're speaking for everyone, you're wrong. Melee will live on for years to come, and I am 100 percent sure I will always play more ssb / ssbm than SSBB. Unless brawl REALLY impresses me, which I highly doubt it will with all the nubifications its going through. Less button presses, final smashes, slower gameplay, etc etc.

There's always going to be fans of SSBM when Brawl comes out, just like how there's still fans of the original SSB now that SSBM has won the hearts of many.
Melee is my favorite smash game of the two, but aside from a few break periods, since I was 11 years old (im 19) I have not stopped playing ssb64.

And to everyone else, I know we will move to brawl. It's just that I honestly think melee is just so different from everything else out there. The way it's followed, and how involved the real smashers are with the game is unlike I have ever seen.
I love you.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I'm sure when it first comes out people will be like "well in melee you could blah blah blah" Then people will kind of get over melee and it will fade into history.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I'm sure when it first comes out people will be like "well in melee you could blah blah blah" Then people will kind of get over melee and it will fade into history.
You're wrong. Your face is gonna fade into history and my grandkids are going to play melee.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
You're wrong. Your face is gonna fade into history and my grandkids are going to play melee. **** you.
That's not cool yo, even if you are messing around. Mic is right as well, there will be a lot of people *****ing about the differences at first, that's just how it goes.

I hate to bring Halo into this topic, cause for one I don't even play Halo, and two it seems to be the game that is anti-smash; however, when Halo 2 came out it was quite a change from the original Halo. A lot of the pros of the game dropped it because they didn't like it, but others kept running with it and regardless of whether or not Halo 2 was better (a LOT of people in the competitive community of Halo seem to think the first is far superior) Halo 2 was the latest and thusly the game that is to be played competitively. Of course, that's just how those crazy FPSers handle things.

I didn't bring this up to support a lot of scrubby peoples views that the current melee pros will be on equal level with the scrubs but to show that even if we, as a community, love melee more, people WILL play Brawl and the scene will be passed along. That's just how it goes. I really doubt Brawl would be SOOO bad that there is a resoundingly large consensus among the players that melee is better in every way, so Brawl will take over whether we like it or not.

I honestly don't think Brawl is going to suck though, and I think waaaaayyyy too many people are worked over it at the moment. Just trust the makers of the game, because they are made up of guys who made melee and guys who love melee.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
In my experience with competitive games or games with a huge fan base (or in Melee's case, both), drastic leaps like these are always tumultuous.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne comes to mind. When Frozen Throne came out it completely rocked the mechanics (among other things, it made tier 1 actually viable). As expected, crybabies everywhere who were used to hard teching and only hard teching swore they would boycott the expansion forever, but they eventually caved and accepted "strategy" into their beloved RTS.

I see correlations in the Smash Bros. series. Just as people wanted a RTS game in which "only noobs go tier 1," so too will people cling to the fighter tier lists and familiar movesets and techniques, who think Smash Bros. is better off for having bad characters and flat-out wrong choices in every regard for no other reason than for its own sake.

Of course, this is all under the assumption that Brawl won't yield any gamebreaking exploits somewhere down the line. If that happens then forget about it!

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
"What happens to melee when brawl is released?"

The same thing that happened to SSB64 when melee was released.

EDIT: someone already posted that one before.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
That's not cool yo, even if you are messing around.
Sorry Mookie :(

For you I'll edit it since you make the best posts possible and destroy scrubs rather than infract people who ''reply to spam'' wouldn't edit for mic.

Im honnestly never going to stop playing melee. Anyone who quits melee completly when brawl comes out is pretty trendy and sad.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
BigRick's got some very good points. Melee and Brawl can go hand and hand, and every Brawl setup could potentially become a Melee set up for a melee portion of the tournament.

DGK all day

Smash Apprentice
When im 60 years old ill be cleaning my attic then find my ssbm then say " I havent played this since brawl came out".

Top Bottom