• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Any character with any sort of projectile is annoying because online players spam them all the time. Cloud players are notorious for spamming Blade Beam and alternating between that and charging their Limit Break.
Yeah, I don't think it even matters how good the projectile is. You'd be surprised how many people will attempt to spam Jr's Canon when they go for a salty ditto or whatever, and that projectile might literally be the worst in the game.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't think it even matters how good the projectile is. You'd be surprised how many people will attempt to spam Jr's Canon when they go for a salty ditto or whatever, and that projectile might literally be the worst in the game.
The other thing I tend to see spammed are Side B's that make your character move. I remember playing Ganondorf on FG a while back (before Cloud came out IIRC), and the opponent I fought was a Wario who did nothing but ride his bike back and forth. It was hard to catch him, since at the time I didn't know that you could grab Wario off his bike (even if I did, it would still be hard, since Ganon has the worst grab range in the game). But he never used his bike when he got offstage and he didn't know how to air dodge, so I could use the most sluggish character in the game to edgeguard him lol ^w^

Although I wish I had picked up Villager back then instead of after Bayonetta came out. I could've Pocketed that bike and pissed him off by holding onto it.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've honestly never understood why people do this, or even complain about Bowser Jrs Canonball in the first place. It's like it's the hardest thing to dodge or shield (When it actually isn't...)! On top of that, I don't think it matters how good a projectile is or how much you use it. In the eyes of a typical For Glory player they'll see you as a spammer no matter what, and will try to salty ditto you (sometimes anyways).

After all, how dare we play a character that has projectiles in the first place, no matter what they are or how little they're used!

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I've honestly never understood why people do this, or even complain about Bowser Jrs Canonball in the first place. It's like it's the hardest thing to dodge or shield (When it actually isn't...)! On top of that, I don't think it matters how good a projectile is or how much you use it. In the eyes of a typical For Glory player they'll see you as a spammer no matter what, and will try to salty ditto you (sometimes anyways).

After all, how dare we play a character that has projectiles in the first place, no matter what they are or how little they're used!
Not to mention that most of the FG players in question will call you a spammer even if THEY may be spamming themselves.

Marnie

Smash Rookie
The final meteor smash when I'm already in a position when I can't recover.

The picking Ganondorf and doing things like up-smash and side-b over and over to mock me for using the character, even though I try to avoid repetition in combat.

Making me wait for 30 seconds in the lobby so they can change their nickname to 'URAPUSS' and leave immediately after.

Edit: I found the term for it. Maybe 1 in 5 people I play against will do a Ganon ditto.

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
The final meteor smash when I'm already in a position when I can't recover.

The picking Ganondorf and doing things like up-smash and side-b over and over to mock me for using the character, even though I try to avoid repetition in combat.

Making me wait for 30 seconds in the lobby so they can change their nickname to 'URAPUSS' and leave immediately after.

Edit: I found the term for it. Maybe 1 in 5 people I play against will do a Ganon ditto.
That meteor smash though... yeah, I'm actually kinda guilty of that myself as a Mario player. But I find Falcons and Ganons to be the worst offenders since most FG players of these characters will go to the greatest lengths to style on you.

Star Venom

Smash Rookie
idk i cant stand people teaming up on others. this isn't just For Fun, btw (even in For Fun, it's still "wrong" because what if I or other people actually wanna mess around and have a game with items and dumb banned stages). even in for glory it's getting to that level.

as for 1 on 1, i can't even find proper matches because i'm finding people who find it hilarious to SD as soon as the match starts, and rinse repeat until I leave. Like, come on, I just wanna play the game.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Getting ledged trumped to eat a Back-Air is stupid.
I also hate Marth's Jab, Jab, to F-Smash or Grab scheme. It's really annoying.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII

I hate it when things like this happen. A little context, this guy (I call him Egg) had a TON of matches with me and couldn't beat me at all (Even JV3'd him four times) and suddenly he started doing this simply for hitting him with Palutena's autoreticle, while changing his name to "F off"

Honestly it's this kind of attitude I don't like seeing. Not only is paying against them rather uneventful and admittingly a little disheartening, but really you kind of bring it upon yourself by just staying and taking the punishment. Honestly when you're getting to the point where you tell your opponent to "F off" I think that's when you need to just step back, leave the room, and take a breather because it really only makes you look bad.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Standing at the ledge and doing a fully-charged smash attack is the new meta of For Glory, apparently.

Or standing anywhere, really, and doing it.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
For Glory input lag is what stopped me from playing online. When I tried to go back on today, I prayed for no lag... and sure enough, I got no answer. I was fighting a low-leveled Mario main who expected me to run right into all of his smash attacks (I was playing G&W). He failed his Up-B recovery and got killed by Dthrow -> 9 first game, but on the second game, I couldn't punish accordingly because of how stupidly laggy it was. It also screwed up my airdodge timing, causing me to fall into a Fair spike. This guy was thankfully a good sport, but I left anyway because the lag had grinded my gears too much.

I know there is a ton of ranting about lag in this thread, but it's probably the worst part of FG that doesn't involve players themselves.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I once heard someone say that californians tend to have bad internet. Being a californian myself, I can assure you that we absolutely do. I personally use a wired adapter and dont have anything running when I'm playing, so I'm doing my part in lag prevention. But half the time I get a laggy match, I check their profile, and what do I see?

"CALIFORNIA."

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I once heard someone say that californians tend to have bad internet. Being a californian myself, I can assure you that we absolutely do. I personally use a wired adapter and dont have anything running when I'm playing, so I'm doing my part in lag prevention. But half the time I get a laggy match, I check their profile, and what do I see?

"CALIFORNIA."
Damn. Yeah, I'm better off just going to tournaments or my friends' houses to play other people. And oddly enough, it's always FG that has the stupid lag. Online matches with my friends and the occasional Anther's match never get input lag like FG.

Star Venom

Smash Rookie
The abundance of times when I couldn't tell between me underestimating -blank- move in -blank- exchange and the connection quality being less than stellar was too much for me to handle.

Standing at the ledge and doing a fully-charged smash attack is the new meta of For Glory, apparently.

Or standing anywhere, really, and doing it.
Yo, Marth's Side Smash at the ledge is pretty hot. Same with Ryu's sweep

but ye ur right

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
When you've won so many matches that you get nothing be good players in matchmaking and only lose now.

This is actually a good thing, but given that i've plateaued in my personal skill, i'm screwed.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
When you've won so many matches that you get nothing be good players in matchmaking and only lose now.

This is actually a good thing, but given that i've plateaued in my personal skill, i'm screwed.
Honestly the way I see it, there is always room for improvement even if you already are amazing. You just got to keep thinking what else can I possibly do? And if you happen to stumble upon something give it a try and see if it works. Because when you start to believe you're at your peak, that moment when someone beats you, you might as well not think about playing anymore because that'll be as far as you go.

So always keep thinking "I'm good but I'll find out more stupid."

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Honestly the way I see it, there is always room for improvement even if you already are amazing. You just got to keep thinking what else can I possibly do? And if you happen to stumble upon something give it a try and see if it works. Because when you start to believe you're at your peak, that moment when someone beats you, you might as well not think about playing anymore because that'll be as far as you go.

So always keep thinking "I'm good but I'll find out more stupid."
That's precisely why I stopped playing. My playstyle is greatly hindered by playing only online due to terrible habits, and I feel I can start getting better if I played offline. However, I don't have that luxury. I still like the game, but I didn't have fun not making progress in skill over a very long time no matter what I tried to work on.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
Also here's another thing that bugs me. I don't know if it counts seeing as it's not For Glory but it's still something that happens when I play certain people online.

So yesterday me and a friend were practicing :4sonic: dittos so we have a better understanding of the character (As well as find weak points in the character to serve as practice for the match up with other characters) and I kid you not the crap flying out of this guy's mouth was getting unbearable. Every time I'd get a star KO on him, a stage spike, or even get him in a nice combo string he'd prematurely end the match and start mouthing off how Sonic is a stupid character, Sonic's creator should kill himself, and throwing out N bombs so casually simply for not liking this character. KEEP IN MIND, doing Sonic dittos to better know the character was entirely HIS idea to begin with and yet he still complains about it because he has difficulty fighting him.

Like, I totally get it. There can be annoying characters to fight. :4cloud::4mario:there's also :rosalina: but only when I'm playing as Ness (for obvious reasons) however I don't prematurely end matches just because I have a hard time fighting a character, because it not only seems very rude but it's also really pathetic. There were some matches where he couldn't end it prematurely because he died too quickly for him to do it but I also noticed he wouldn't end the matches if he were clearly winning. Which makes the whole ending matches prematurely for losing not only the last two things I mentioned but also rather petty. Big deal you're losing to the character, big deal you find them annoying, big deal it's not easy. Then again no one ever said LEARNING was easy. Besides you learn much more from losing than winning. When you win you just get a confirmation that "Ok the stuff I'm doing can work." but when you lose there's much more to think about, such as "Where did I go wrong?" "What can I do to improve myself?" "What was my opponent doing that I wasn't watching out for?" but nope let's just end matches prematurely, throw out 20 N bombs, make death threats on character creators, and not just take the loss and learn from it.

Don't get me wrong the guy I'm referring to isn't a bad player, but the amount of salt he produces simply because matches don't go in his favor is more obnoxious than anything. In fact it's kind of demeaning to me as it feels like he's saying "Yeah all that hard work you did to get good at this game? Well SCREW YOU I won't let you earn it."

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
^I had a friend like that, except we played street fighter 4. He got so incredibly salty when I would "play like a scrub," or "go for random moves." The truth is, I was playing in a way that punished his overly aggressive playstyle (this is the kind of guy who would get a hard knockdown and then sit on your wakeup, pressing buttons). I'd do wakeup uppercuts and wakeup supers/ultras, and he'd get caught by them multiple times. He complained that "every time I think you've learned and arent going todo it, you just go for it anyway." Know what I told him? "Stop pressing buttons on my wakeup." Eventually he did start doing that, but never realized that by doing wakeup ultras and whatnot, I had successfully conditioned him to respect my wakeup game. :p

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
Yeah and that was something me and him were hoping to do with our Sonic dittos, to learn about the character.

Sadly he's the kind of guy who doesn't like to adapt to playstyles. Instead he keeps going with the same approaches and attempts the same punishes because "HEY! They worked before, so that must mean they have to work EVERY. TIME." I even baited on of his air dodges and u-aired him. He got really mad when it happened.

Last edited:

Kaytu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-8987-9930
I try not to let a lot of things bother me online because I don't want it affecting my gameplay, but if my opponent taunts when I make a mistake and SD, oh man... I turn into a completely different person. I take way too much pleasure out of winning those matches.

Also, of course, really bad lag. During one particular match, it took 10 seconds for 1 second to elapse. How is it even possible for them to play?

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Wanna know the fastest way to put me on tilt? Do nothing but roll into me and grab.

LITERALLY, GET CANCER.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I've had several FFA's where there this one person who would sit back at the edge and watch the others fight. When I sometimes attack them this person jumped all over the place the person was using Zero Suit Samus. Eventually several players come and go, and sometimes there would be another Zero Suit Samus who would join in on the camping. And since the other guy's were too focus on each other and me, the ZSS's got kills and won most of the matches. What is this, a Taunt Party?

Roadhog360

Smash Cadet
NNID
Roadhog360
Spammers that spam unavoidable projectiles which no matter what you do you always will eventually hit the projectiles and get pushed away. Pisses the **** out of me how people have to do this, and then act like they're all skilled. Get AIDS.

Also when you're getting that good 0.5-1 second delay and then people call me bad or act like they're the ****.

Last edited:

MikaPlayz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thexwhitexfangx
3DS FC
1779-3096-4913
when u use toon link and i swear i dont spam with him (but my friends who dont beat me say i do) i use hime and mop the floor against FG and then they go link and do this amzing combo bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
when u use toon link and i swear i dont spam with him (but my friends who dont beat me say i do) i use hime and mop the floor against FG and then they go link and do this amzing combo bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Gee it almost sounds like the times when I play Ness, beat a guy, and they immediately switch to Lucas and do nothing but pk fire.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Gee it almost sounds like the times when I play Ness, beat a guy, and they immediately switch to Lucas and do nothing but pk fire.
Spammers are probably the most common pet peeve people have about For Glory. But spammers and "this guy is better" players in one person are definitely a pain the ass. This never happened to me, but a lot of Luigi/Doc players tend to face opponents who will switch to Mario because they're "better versions of Luigi and Doc."

If you are one of these people, you need to realize that switching to that "superior" character doesn't make you better than them. This is especially true if you don't even know how to use that f***ing character; you're better off just playing your main like you've been doing. (ノಠ益ಠ)

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
Spammers are probably the most common pet peeve people have about For Glory. But spammers and "this guy is better" players in one person are definitely a pain the ***. This never happened to me, but a lot of Luigi/Doc players tend to face opponents who will switch to Mario because they're "better versions of Luigi and Doc."

If you are one of these people, you need to realize that switching to that "superior" character doesn't make you better than them. This is especially true if you don't even know how to use that f***ing character; you're better off just playing your main like you've been doing. (ノಠ益ಠ)
Oh how about the guy who switches to your main because "Oh I can play your main better than you."

MikaPlayz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thexwhitexfangx
3DS FC
1779-3096-4913
Haha lol thats never happened to me but sounds anoying but u know its for glory so what do we expect. So aparently the new thing to do on for glory is to use zelda and us down be and side b. And then this one doc mario would just jump and spam pills i won but i saved the replay to show people on here. Srry i went on a tangent

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
Zeldas who use side-b and down-b a lot? That's a lot different from the ones I run into who are like "I'll get that warp snipe!" "I'm gonna get it." "LET ME HAVE THIS WARP SNIPE!" because apparently some people don't realize after the first time you do it I know what you're trying to do.

MikaPlayz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thexwhitexfangx
3DS FC
1779-3096-4913
Zeldas who use side-b and down-b a lot? That's a lot different from the ones I run into who are like "I'll get that warp snipe!" "I'm gonna get it." "LET ME HAVE THIS WARP SNIPE!" because apparently some people don't realize after the first time you do it I know what you're trying to do.
well when i was at 100%+ thats what they did

Zeabon

Smash Rookie
Hardly ever bothered by players but more by the input lag. When a player creams with me easily readable tactics, I find myself hating the input lag more than myself for falling for it.

ScarletShepherd24M

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.22
Whenever I get put up against someone who's waaaaaay better than me to the point where everything I do might as well be a mistake and I can't learn what I'm doing wrong.
moments like this are only made worse by the "leave after one match" that's already been pointed out. I don't mind getting two stocked, whether on for glory or stream. I just want to spend at least a few matches to learn. Surprising how sometimes in the really tough matches that it forces you to get better with tricks you didn't find yourself using nearly as often. Mostly cause of mixups.

ScarletShepherd24M

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.22
The thing I hate most is that they decided to use sudden death for timeouts. The person in the lead should just win in a timeout. Otherwise, bad players try to time you out to have a shot at winning a lucky sudden death, because they can't beat you playing normally. It's incredibly annoying.
speaking as a lucas main, I honestly feel kind of bad when I win sudden death matches. His side b is pretty much a guaranteed kill (aside from good di and a few heavy characters). No charge needed, very small hit box, and the ability to wave bounce with it. Kind of unfair when the opposing player doesn't have a reflector or god like perfect shields.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
speaking as a lucas main, I honestly feel kind of bad when I win sudden death matches. His side b is pretty much a guaranteed kill (aside from good di and a few heavy characters). No charge needed, very small hit box, and the ability to wave bounce with it. Kind of unfair when the opposing player doesn't have a reflector or god like perfect shields.
It's funny you mention Lucas's side-B because one match I actually managed to KO Lucas but reflecting his pk fire as Ness. It was hilarious.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
For me, it's about not being able to tell if your foe respects you, or they're just laughing at you for even trying to spend time fighting them only to get beat up and outplayed over and over again while trying to fight as hard as you can.
(Note that this mainly applies to With Anyone 1 on 1)

Cause I'm one of those players who are meant to get bodied over and over again, and with only a SMALL amount of actual wins here and there, or no wins at all.

So far, I funny enough, haven't actually encountered any roll-spammers and/or "certain-character-abusing mains" people have complained about. My matchmaking seems a lot more varied for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom