• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
Just met a guy on 3DS named RGStarZGK, where the R was reversed and the Star was a symbol. If you know him, shoot him in the head. He's a scumbag of a player who believes he is God and thinks all beneath him are to be **** on, evidenced by his ungodly bad sportsmanship and the way he'll mirror match you using your same color to claim that he is God. Shoot him. He does not belong on this Earth.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Just met a guy on 3DS named RGStarZGK, where the R was reversed and the Star was a symbol. If you know him, shoot him in the head. He's a scumbag of a player who believes he is God and thinks all beneath him are to be **** on, evidenced by his ungodly bad sportsmanship and the way he'll mirror match you using your same color to claim that he is God. Shoot him. He does not belong on this Earth.
Those flamebaits though. And the lack of specificity.

Last edited:

Agitato

Smash Cadet
NNID
AgitatoEX
3DS FC
1822-1384-9573
You should use this as inspiration to get better and beat him instead of demanding Draconian punishments for his being an asshole.

Make the rage your fuel.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
You should use this as inspiration to get better and beat him instead of demanding Draconian punishments for his being an *******.

Make the rage your fuel.
Sadly, most of us players mainly in America have too many different mentalities. Again referring to ZeRo's USA vs. Japan video, it would seem that there's more differing growth rates in US compared to a possibly more consistent growth rate in Japan (hence why there are more general numbers of god players there).

I get your pain. I really do.

Sadly, I'm more of a player who fights a lot of "good or disrespectful" players on For Glory. Nowadays, I see that it's a mode to go on at one's own risk to get good. Either way, online play due to latency and other factors may teach someone bad habits and may put them in a situation unable to do well in a real-life tournament.

But alas, you either take a break or in the end realize it's just a game (the latter part is up to you whether you want to stop taking it seriously or start finding ways to practice more).

Last edited by a moderator:

Agitato

Smash Cadet
NNID
AgitatoEX
3DS FC
1822-1384-9573
Sadly, most of us players mainly in America have too many different mentalities. Again referring to ZeRo's USA vs. Japan video, it would seem that there's more differing growth rates in US compared to a possibly more consistent growth rate in Japan (hence why there are more general numbers of god players there).
Your nationality isn't an excuse for johning or raging when you lose.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
Your nationality isn't an excuse for johning or raging when you lose.
I don't think that was the point he was making. I believe the point was due to how different sportsmanship is generally handled in japan compared to the US there's more people in Japan who focus on improving and adapting their playstyle so they actually CAN get good, while most people in America (and I've also faced people who are very arrogant like this) believe that if they successfully pull off a maneuver then it's completely unavoidable every single time. Then the one time it doesn't work on a player suddenly they start calling foul, say the other character is broken, etc.. I think that was the point he was making not so much nationalities are exempt from being ridiculed as Johns.

Agitato

Smash Cadet
NNID
AgitatoEX
3DS FC
1822-1384-9573
I don't think that was the point he was making. I believe the point was due to how different sportsmanship is generally handled in japan compared to the US there's more people in Japan who focus on improving and adapting their playstyle so they actually CAN get good, while most people in America (and I've also faced people who are very arrogant like this) believe that if they successfully pull off a maneuver then it's completely unavoidable every single time. Then the one time it doesn't work on a player suddenly they start calling foul, say the other character is broken, etc.. I think that was the point he was making not so much nationalities are exempt from being ridiculed as Johns.
True, but it's still an inexcusably scrubby mindset. He made it sound as though it were mitigated by its commonality.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Okay, this one is so specific but it happens so much and I have no idea why it irks me so much, but Rosa players who literally never use gravitational pull need to stop. As annoying as the move is, it's more annoying watching people get hit because they decided to try and perfect shield a projectile or try to pick up my Mechakoopa when they literally have the safest alternate option in the game at their disposal.

It's literally infuriating. If I of all people can tell you that you're playing Rosa wrong, then you are playing Rosa wrong and you should just not play her.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Okay, this one is so specific but it happens so much and I have no idea why it irks me so much, but Rosa players who literally never use gravitational pull need to stop. As annoying as the move is, it's more annoying watching people get hit because they decided to try and perfect shield a projectile or try to pick up my Mechakoopa when they literally have the safest alternate option in the game at their disposal.

It's literally infuriating. If I of all people can tell you that you're playing Rosa wrong, then you are playing Rosa wrong and you should just not play her.
That's a rarity in my opinion. But then again, Rosalina's playerbase is tiny, and the only people who seem to not dislike Rosalina are the people who actually play and main her. X3

But yeah, Gravitational Pull is probably her best move. Like, by far. Sure, Luma can act as a meat shield from projectiles, but why do you want to do that when you can just nullify the projectile and save Luma some HP? Why attempt a risky dair on a PK Thunder when you can just pull a Percy Jackson and steal the damn thing? What move defines the matchups versus Mega Man, Villager, and the PK Kids? Oh, and when Peach pulls a stitchface and you're scared of being hit, why don't you just use down-B and use it for yourself?

I guess the rare Rosalina scrub (because nobody really tries to play her since she's hard to use) believes that simply playing her means winning because she's so good of a character, and doesn't bother to use her whole moveset in favor of her u-air ("Hurr durr durr, it kills everyone off the top at 40%, so I should keep using that move!). Either that, or they think Gravitational Pull sucks because Rosalina doesn't directly reflect it or heal from it. It's the same logic as "Mario's f-air is better because Doc's doesn't spike hurrrrrrrr"

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I've been here before, but I want to revise what I dislike about For Glory:

1. Only FD stages: FD is a tournament legal stage, but that's all we get in For Glory. Having regular Battlefield would help because it teaches players how beneficial or detrimental platforms can be for some characters. It even helps some characters who are crippled by FD (:4kirby: is a prime example due to his extremely good U-Throw kill on stages like Battlefield and Dreamland 64).

2. Net code: Lag, input lag, etc. I'm not tech savvy so I don't know if it's the net code that's bad, but I know for a fact that my Internet connection is fine. Granted, I'd rather have this than Brawl's online mode, but I'd rather have no lag at all of any kind.

3. No ranking system: Nearly every fighting game that I know have has an online mode called "Ranked Match." I don't think I really need to explain this, but I find fighting with people who are on the same level or even better than me to be extremely helpful in the long run because it teaches me things that I didn't know if I were playing against random people. For some reason, Smash doesn't have this option, and instead, I'm always paired up with some random dude on the Internet that I would probably never see again. I don't know if I'm fighting someone that's new to the game, someone who's on my skill level, or someone who will beat my butt in and hand it gave to be on a silver platter. This makes playing For Glory annoying sometimes.

4. The Reporting System: How many of you had this happen to you? You're in a For Glory match, you win against your opponent, and they get salty. They either switch to your main, their main, or continue to use the character they lost with. Let's say you beat them again, and you leave or they leave. When you enter the next game, suddenly you're up either against a troll (who usually happens to be Wario in my case), or someone that's really good. Why is it that these people can't just take a loss? I hate losing as much as everyone else does, but I don't go reporting people when I lose, no matter how good they are.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
That's a rarity in my opinion. But then again, Rosalina's playerbase is tiny, and the only people who seem to not dislike Rosalina are the people who actually play and main her. X3

But yeah, Gravitational Pull is probably her best move. Like, by far. Sure, Luma can act as a meat shield from projectiles, but why do you want to do that when you can just nullify the projectile and save Luma some HP? Why attempt a risky dair on a PK Thunder when you can just pull a Percy Jackson and steal the damn thing? What move defines the matchups versus Mega Man, Villager, and the PK Kids? Oh, and when Peach pulls a stitchface and you're scared of being hit, why don't you just use down-B and use it for yourself?

I guess the rare Rosalina scrub (because nobody really tries to play her since she's hard to use) believes that simply playing her means winning because she's so good of a character, and doesn't bother to use her whole moveset in favor of her u-air ("Hurr durr durr, it kills everyone off the top at 40%, so I should keep using that move!). Either that, or they think Gravitational Pull sucks because Rosalina doesn't directly reflect it or heal from it. It's the same logic as "Mario's f-air is better because Doc's doesn't spike hurrrrrrrr"
I really couldn't have said it better myself. It's like people forget the move exists because it's a counter-move which doesn't do damage, which is weird because they seem obsessed with them any other time when they don't do damage too. Fox, Marth, their counters do damage all the time (JK)! Forget the fact they're also slower and can be horrendously baited/punished, all that matters is I might hit them with their own thing sometimes!

Same basically applies for Villagers Pocket, really. People don't care unless there's an obvious thing to absorb with it, and even then they only care for Pocket since it's technically also a reflector.

People are so style over function in Smash that it almost runs the style dry to a point where anything functional is the stylish option.

(Also never heard that "Percy Jackson" joke before. That's actually funny. lol)

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I really couldn't have said it better myself. It's like people forget the move exists because it's a counter-move which doesn't do damage, which is weird because they seem obsessed with them any other time when they don't do damage too. Fox, Marth, their counters do damage all the time (JK)! Forget the fact they're also slower and can be horrendously baited/punished, all that matters is I might hit them with their own thing sometimes!

Same basically applies for Villagers Pocket, really. People don't care unless there's an obvious thing to absorb with it, and even then they only care for Pocket since it's technically also a reflector.

People are so style over function in Smash that it almost runs the style dry to a point where anything functional is the stylish option.

(Also never heard that "Percy Jackson" joke before. That's actually funny. lol)
I mean, it is awesome watching people style on each other, but people get so focused on that, they perform worse.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I mean, it is awesome watching people style on each other, but people get so focused on that, they perform worse.
A conversation between two smashers:

:4ganondorf:- If I were you, I wouldn't be caught dead playing Rosalina. She has nothing stylish and is just plain cheap!

:rosalina:- Well, it's still more efficient to play a puppet character with a 40% Star KO move than a sluggish bottom-tier with stylish moves that are just as situational. Why look good when you can be good?

:4ganondorf:- ... *flashes back to an SD from a failed Down-B spike*

:rosalina:- Yup, that's what I thought.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
A conversation between two smashers:

:4ganondorf:- If I were you, I wouldn't be caught dead playing Rosalina. She has nothing stylish and is just plain cheap!

:rosalina:- Well, it's still more efficient to play a puppet character with a 40% Star KO move than a sluggish bottom-tier with stylish moves that are just as situational. Why look good when you can be good?

:4ganondorf:- ... *flashes back to an SD from a failed Down-B spike*

:rosalina:- Yup, that's what I thought.
Basically. Being good looks good to me. Even if you play a garbage character with only occasional "style", still focus mostly on safer options because it looks impressive to a trained eye. A good player can pick out the correct moments to be stylish instead of spamming them and looking dumb because of it. I mean, I hate Rosa and I'm 100% sure that even she has her style moments (Hellooo, Luma!).

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
What really bothers me is how FG has devolved to the point where it's now less about actually playing the match and more about just humiliating your opponent as badly as you possibly can. It really creates a volatile, hostile environment, even for the occasional funny moment it brings. For Fun isn't any better, either, considering it's basically nothing but taunt parties...

KirbCider

Smash Ace
What really bothers me is how FG has devolved to the point where it's now less about actually playing the match and more about just humiliating your opponent as badly as you possibly can. It really creates a volatile, hostile environment, even for the occasional funny moment it brings. For Fun isn't any better, either, considering it's basically nothing but taunt parties...
I can definitely agree that it's gotten so much worse the longer Sm4sh has been out.

I believe the biggest issue is people obsess with disrespecting and "Styling" their opponents so much they begin to get lost in it. A lot of people make such a big deal about these things, and while I understand it can be very hype to get some awesome, stylish KO is it really so important? At some point you just start beating a dead horse with all the disrespect. Is this what Smash has really evolved to?

I honestly hate people that have to get so obsessed with that aspect specifically. I get everyone has fun in their own ways but it just gets... Kind of draining. Top that off with everyone's need to show off as much as possible and you get an even more draining situation.

Of course, don't forget the loads of salt and insults that also exist.

In any case, something I get tired of also seeing is people who act nice and are good sports at first but once they find they can't win they become ultra salty. Just had a guy yesterday who always started off with a Taunt Greeting and always said "GG/Good Game"; however, around the third match I was going to win for the third time he ends up SDing, puts up "KILL URSELF" and promptly leaves.

Are people still mad about Bayonetta or something?

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I fought a very good link yesterday. With bayonetta, no less. But he didnt taunt me or use any rude tags. So, instead of changing characters or leaving, I stayed for like 5 games, trying to learn the matchup and adapt as best I could. In the final game, I basically SD'd twice. And what do I see in the lobby?

He changed his tag to "SANDBAGGING." I left after that.

**** you, random FG link. You guys really are all douchebags, no matter the skill level.

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I can definitely agree that it's gotten so much worse the longer Sm4sh has been out.
I totally agree. And it will keep getting worse; all the salt videos we see nowadays just add fuel to the fire.

I believe the biggest issue is people obsess with disrespecting and "Styling" their opponents so much they begin to get lost in it. A lot of people make such a big deal about these things, and while I understand it can be very hype to get some awesome, stylish KO is it really so important? At some point you just start beating a dead horse with all the disrespect. Is this what Smash has really evolved to?
I find that most FG tryhards, most notably the Falcons and the Sheiks, don't want to just get good (no matter how braindead some of them can be). They want to be just like Fatality or VoiD when it comes to stylish combos. Or, in the case of some dumb Falcons, they're trying to perform Melee combos that can't really be performed in Smash 4.

Ganons are still the worst offenders in my opinion though, even though those guys aren't really tryhards because most of them know their character isn't good. They're the guys you always see in the salt montages styling on people, and the guys you always see on FG failing to reenact those disrespectful moments. And they also look towards Melee as well; I saw a Ganondorf Miiverse post mentioning Bizz and Kage once. (Neither of them play Smash 4. Like, at all.)

I honestly hate people that have to get so obsessed with that aspect specifically. I get everyone has fun in their own ways but it just gets... Kind of draining. Top that off with everyone's need to show off as much as possible and you get an even more draining situation.

Of course, don't forget the loads of salt and insults that also exist.
From what I can tell, the desire to be that much of a show off is really just a desire to become recognized for something in the community. Because who wouldn't want to be featured on a StylesX2 "The Salt is Real" video?

In any case, something I get tired of also seeing is people who act nice and are good sports at first but once they find they can't win they become ultra salty. Just had a guy yesterday who always started off with a Taunt Greeting and always said "GG/Good Game"; however, around the third match I was going to win for the third time he ends up SDing, puts up "KILL URSELF" and promptly leaves.

Are people still mad about Bayonetta or something?
I don't think so. Everybody who saw the 1.1.6 changelist knew Bayonetta's time in the spotlight was absolutely over. Come on, a patch that changes just Bayonetta with all nerfs just screams in players' faces that Bayonetta's being thrown off her throne as the queen of Smash 4.

How good were you compared to the guy? Also, did you taunt, teabag, etc.?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Today I believe I've just been unbanned from "For Glory Hell", and I have to say, in all honesty, I miss being banned. In regular Team For Glory, you mostly get teams consisting of people who are so persistent on a strategy I like to call "hugging each other." Basically, this means that they fight together instead of fighting alone. While one may suggest this is a valid tactic in Doubles, it is not a valid tactic in Team For Glory. Rather, it's abusing the fact that Friendly Fire is off. They usually tend to spam Smash Attacks and Grabs, as well as resorting to rolls as their choice of movement. When this happens, it's virtually impossible to attack back, as well as reading and punishing the roll(s). Separating the two doesn't seem to be very effective, either. Let's say you grab someone, and you either Forward Throw or Back Throw them, depending on the location of their partner. What happens here can vary, but the options are both predictable nonetheless. Scenario A is that their partner completely forgets about the person whom they were just fighting and rushes in, usually with a Dash Attack, to help their teammate. Then the other teammate forgets about YOU yourself, and teams up on the other person that was just ignored a split second or two ago. Scenario B is more or less the same, except they gang up on you instead of your partner. I understand that For Glory uses the most cheapest and cheesiest strategy in order to win, but what about having fun? Do such insignificant recorded statistics really matter that much to most people? Not once have I seen a For Glorian use the tag "GG". But in For Glory Hell? While they don't say it all the time, they say it whenever they did have fun with the match, no matter who won or what characters were used. They also don't do many the things your typical For Glorian would do. They actually try to have fun with the game, while also considering their opponents' feelings. I guess I expect too much out of an E10+ gaming community.

tl;dr: nintendo pls fix team for glory and add friendly fire pls pls pls pls ;w;

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Oh god where do I start with this one?

I came across an admittedly pretty good FG Sheik. Not the usual "F-tilt to F-air and Bouncing Fish win", they seemed to vaguely know what they were doing, at least. The first game was really close. I was in easy KO %s for most of my second stock.

Then the second game came... Salty ditto, absolutely horrendous Jr. play (Double SD.). Obviously just had no clue how to play the character other than what they picked up I was doing in the previous match. Sure enough they were gone before I even got back to the lobby.

Please don't be that person who plays a top-tier then gets salty they lost while the other person's character is lower tier or "easy" in your opinion. Especially not Jr. who I've seen in bottom 5 of some lists. Jr. is complete noob bait IMO, both to play competently and to beat. It's not my fault I can spam specials/U-air to win if you won't block/avoid them.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Oh god where do I start with this one?

I came across an admittedly pretty good FG Sheik. Not the usual "F-tilt to F-air and Bouncing Fish win", they seemed to vaguely know what they were doing, at least. The first game was really close. I was in easy KO %s for most of my second stock.

Then the second game came... Salty ditto, absolutely horrendous Jr. play (Double SD.). Obviously just had no clue how to play the character other than what they picked up I was doing in the previous match. Sure enough they were gone before I even got back to the lobby.

Please don't be that person who plays a top-tier then gets salty they lost while the other person's character is lower tier or "easy" in your opinion. Especially not Jr. who I've seen in bottom 5 of some lists. Jr. is complete noob bait IMO, both to play competently and to beat. It's not my fault I can spam specials/U-air to win if you won't block/avoid them.
My lord... I still remember the time when I was just like that. I felt like I couldn't perform well as a beginner (that was when I first got Smash 4 and had a limited understanding of the competitive scene), so I ended up picking up pre-patch Diddy even though I had no idea how to play him. I would use dthrow -> bair instead of the hoo-hah, I never thought of using Monkey Flip to recover, I never realized fthrow was stronger than bthrow, etc. And then I dropped him as soon as the nerfs dropped in.

I recently picked him back up to play just for fun, and I do enjoy playing him; however, this experience easily taught me that playing a top tier character and not thoroughly looking into their moveset and attributes won't make you any better.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I don't think so. Everybody who saw the 1.1.6 changelist knew Bayonetta's time in the spotlight was absolutely over. Come on, a patch that changes just Bayonetta with all nerfs just screams in players' faces that Bayonetta's being thrown off her throne as the queen of Smash 4.

How good were you compared to the guy? Also, did you taunt, teabag, etc.?
I dunno. I don't use Bayonetta that frequently (however that seems to of changed as of late due to me trying to improve my own Bayonetta and get better with her) yet when I do I still find players who will either Ragequit/SD, or Mirror Match me like there's still some hatred for her leftover. It's why I bothered to ask that because it seems some For Glorians still have some salty hatred in my eyes.

Results could vary I suppose but I honestly don't know why mine would make them mad as I don't think I'm a great Bayonetta.

I can use her slightly better than the average FG Player but that's about it.

As for the other question, again, I don't put too much pride into my Bayonetta cause I feel like I can do so much better with her than I can now; however I won every match against him and usually with a two stock (only had three matches, and the third he ragequit/SDed on with his last stock). It seemed like he never wanted to shield Bayonettas attacks but he did show he knew how to shield.

He just never did it when he really needed to.

As for the later, no. I do not ever teabag. As for Taunting, I do not ever Taunt unless the opponent does so first. Otherwise I will avoid Taunting. As I mentioned in my previous post he always did a Taunt greeting, and I let him and returned it with a Taunt of my own. Other than that I did not Taunt one bit in our matches. I did nothing disrespectful, nor did I spam or any sort of the thing for that matter.

He just ended up going from friendly to "KILL URSELF" tag spewing rage. It was a shame because he did seem like a nice guy before that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yesterday I saw someone who used the tag "WOW?" followed by "K." after I beat him three rounds in.

Considering this guy also constantly teabagged (something which personally irritates me a lot) and taunted after KOing and beating me in the previous two rounds, I think it was reasonable to assume he was not a nice or honorable fellow.

On the bright side....those are actually the rudest tags I've seen so far. I've still yet to be directly insulted in FG.

Galm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEvilLemon
This is more of a general online thing, but when I play my timing on most things is off. When I try to punish attacks and think I can land a hit in a combo, I whiff on an airdodge, spotdodge, or perfect shield. Part of it may be limitations of my characters (Falco and Robin aren't designed to be very aggressive) and lag, or my reactions are just slow. Does anybody know what I can work on to deal with this?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
This is more of a general online thing, but when I play my timing on most things is off. When I try to punish attacks and think I can land a hit in a combo, I whiff on an airdodge, spotdodge, or perfect shield. Part of it may be limitations of my characters (Falco and Robin aren't designed to be very aggressive) and lag, or my reactions are just slow. Does anybody know what I can work on to deal with this?
Honestly, a few things will throw your timing off. From minor lag (1-2 frames can mean all the difference.) to the simple fact you're playing a human opponent and not an AI (Which is a common thing that throws my timing off, personally, since I play a lot against AI.).

It's not particularly useful advice, but playing online more will generally just naturally get you used to the slight delay in timing that both online (lag) and human players (Reaction times! -also, they can suffer from lag, too!) tend to have. I have the same problem - especially since I'm so prone to trying for perfect shields into punishes - so I understand the frustration completely.

Another minor thing that a lot of people also seem to never consider is nerves. Which, while it sounds silly, is also potentially the case since it's a rather serious (or at the least, hostile) fighting environment for most of online. It can throw off your game a lot, so if you feel like you're doing bad, take a breather and ease up before getting back into it. I know it's not exactly gonna be anything like the tournament nerves high skill players experience or anything, but playing fighting games against real people still gets you pumped like no other game does in my experience. Haha.

As for characters, well, I think characters without simple/powerful conversions or combos suffer most from this kind of thing, especially since characters with easy combos can be muscle-memoried to victory even in high lag (Robin is actually pretty okay for this IMO BC of Arcfire/thunder and D-throw combos and mix-ups being harder to react to and get out of, the big downside is that Robin is super slow so movement can be even more choppy.).

Greninja is probably the biggest offender of suffering from dropping frames, whereas Bowser (Mmmm, up throw combos.) probably benefits most from opponents dropping frames while not suffering too much himself. Basically any character who has to play down to the frame and make specific split-second input decisions will have problems, and I think this sometimes has a lot to do with the state of who wins and doesn't online. But that's just me.

TL;DR: Get used to the natural timings of your character so you have to rely less on laggy reaction times (everything is gonna feel like a monumental read otherwise), play online more to get used to general input delay, and if you're getting freaked about playing against other people then chill out a little and maybe take a break. If all else fails and the game is laggy as all hell for you, play Bowser and ride the muscle-memory U-throw combo train to wins-ville. :'v Ayy.

Kaytu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-8987-9930
I'm encountering more and more players who, as long as we're even, avoid me for the entire match. I guess their strategy is to take me into Sudden Death where they have a better chance at winning? If I'm playing Pika, that's kind of a guaranteed win for me because QA kills at very high percents. But I dunno, it still frustrates me having to chase my opponent around for five agonizing minutes.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
I'm encountering more and more players who, as long as we're even, avoid me for the entire match. I guess their strategy is to take me into Sudden Death where they have a better chance at winning? If I'm playing Pika, that's kind of a guaranteed win for me because QA kills at very high percents. But I dunno, it still frustrates me having to chase my opponent around for five agonizing minutes.
To be honest, I sadly do that too; I don't try to use projectiles since the spam might leave me open to punish.

Most of the time like how I do it, it must be out of fear since they really feel that their offensive approach is no longer working, so they have to try hard to bait and punish via that said fear.

After all, it's often pointed out in that Smash 4 is very high on defensive play; there do exist offensive options, but the defensive options are far too reliable in comparison.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm getting really fed up with Falcons who keeps spamming down airs on stage. Makes no difference if I still end up beating them, I ain't gonna put up with that bull****.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I'm getting really fed up with Falcons who keeps spamming down airs on stage. Makes no difference if I still end up beating them, I ain't gonna put up with that bull****.
Spamming down air? Do you mean falcons who keep trying to spike you? Why is that, of all things, "bull****" to you?

Last edited:

Kaytu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-8987-9930
To be honest, I sadly do that too; I don't try to use projectiles since the spam might leave me open to punish.

Most of the time like how I do it, it must be out of fear since they really feel that their offensive approach is no longer working, so they have to try hard to bait and punish via that said fear.

After all, it's often pointed out in that Smash 4 is very high on defensive play; there do exist offensive options, but the defensive options are far too reliable in comparison.
Near the end of a match, I expect that to happen. Heck, I do it too. And I can understand your point about an offensive approach not working. But to avoid your opponent from the start? Why would you do that? ;___; That has to be just as boring for you as it is for me.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Spamming down air? Do you mean falcons who keep trying to spike you? Why is that, of all things, "bull****" to you?
He said, Falcons that spam dair on stage. I feel like that is an example of a Smash 4 Falcon player attempting to perform Melee techchases with Falcon. I've seen quite a few Melee Falcons do that.

With spamming dair offstage, like you said, it's not BS at all. That's the nature of For Glory as a whole now; just a bunch of noobs trying to style on you and wishing that they can get shown in a YouTube video or something.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
He said, Falcons that spam dair on stage. I feel like that is an example of a Smash 4 Falcon player attempting to perform Melee techchases with Falcon. I've seen quite a few Melee Falcons do that
How is dair ON-STAGE "bull****?" That would be even less annoying to deal with tbh.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
How is dair ON-STAGE "bull****?" That would be even less annoying to deal with tbh.
It's not that it's annoying or hard to get over, it's just unnecessary to a point where it's basically sandbagging.

At least that's what I imagine the point is. I get annoyed when Mario players obsess over "spiking" me with F-air too, but they never actually bother going for it offstage, and when they do it's so telegraphed and readable it just never works.

It's just one of those things that people try for style, but don't at all understand the application or why it's a stylish thing to land in the first place, so it just becomes a chore to put up with people going for it at all in the first place.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
It's not that it's annoying or hard to get over, it's just unnecessary to a point where it's basically sandbagging.

At least that's what I imagine the point is. I get annoyed when Mario players obsess over "spiking" me with F-air too, but they never actually bother going for it offstage, and when they do it's so telegraphed and readable it just never works.

It's just one of those things that people try for style, but don't at all understand the application or why it's a stylish thing to land in the first place, so it just becomes a chore to put up with people going for it at all in the first place.
Which brings us back to our point from before: For Glory has devolved into a mess where everyone focuses on being stylish and not on the truly important aspects of the game.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Oh, boy, don't we all love FG players.
I made the mistake of playing For Glory 3DS today. After 10 minutes of searching for a match, I came across this Bowser. He was the absolute most stereotypical FG player ever: Approaching with Dash Attack, spamming Smashes, spamming Bowser Bomb, quite literally always rolling instead of moving, and taunting after every KO. He'd only run if he wanted a dash attack (that I couldn't even Counter because lag).
I lost my first stock pretty badly (he was only 29% in), and ultimately I actually lost the match even after KOing him and getting him into KO% for the next stock. He was at the results screen for ages, saving a replay I presume. Instead of backing out like I always do, I decided to stick around for the second match where he went DK. I was actually ready for this scrubby playstyle again and I won fairly easily. This time he was at the result screen for mere frames before choosing a character and getting ready. He went Bowser again and went absolutely all out on me, and somehow he got even more predictable. I 2-stocked him and he turned tail and ran.

I really can't wait for him to brag to his friends about that win he got and never mention the two embarassing losses that followed it.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
"I dont get people." That's something I find myself saying a lot when playing online.

Yesterday, I played a really good bayo. They beat me like 14/15 or so games. One of them I went for the bayo ditto (me being a bayo main and all), and I lost.

Here's the thing; lately, I've been trying really hard to stop myself from using salty tags. I also only taunted twice, each in return for one of their taunts. So I lost to this person multiple times, didnt give up, tried different characters, and never used salty tags. But after I lost with bayo...

"lol"
"u mad"
"so bad"

They alternated between these three tags for a good 10 seconds afterwards. I still didnt leave, and kept trying to win. Each time I lost, in came the tags. Eventually they just left.

Again, I just dont get people. What do you gain from being such a jerk when you win? Who are you impressing? Get over yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom