• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Make it short and sweet: What makes you rage in For Glory? What things does your opponent do in For Glory that sends you off and ticks you off?

For me, it's when I play a For Glory match and I fight a LINK user, and they just throw projectiles at me (As a Falco / R.O.B. / Pac-Man main, that's not smart.) And then when I get close they'll shield and up B out of shield or Down smash or just roll away til they're on the other side of the stage. And then when they get lucky enough to land a kill from spamming down smash or forward smash 1 and 2, they'll do his up taunt or down taunt and sometimes if they even WIN, they'll leave the room after being in the Viewing Results... thing for a long time, most likely saving a replay for them to laugh about how "good" they are or something. I only save For Glory replays when I go in deep with Falco , R.O.B. or especially Pac-Man. Or, if I get bodied by an ACTUAL good player who knows their character and does something flashy, like run off stage with Falcon and do a quick down air and it spikes.

What makes you guys mad in For Glory?

TheGreatShal

Smash Cadet
The reason I always save replays is to look back and see what I did wrong, kinda like people watching soccer videos to pick up new things.

Anyway, I already mentioned obnoxious taunting throughout the match, but one time I could clearly tell my opponent was actually letting me beat on him, and then decided that he would kill me and win when we were both in the 100% range. I quit playing for a couple days because of that.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
The reason I always save replays is to look back and see what I did wrong, kinda like people watching soccer videos to pick up new things.

Anyway, I already mentioned obnoxious taunting throughout the match, but one time I could clearly tell my opponent was actually letting me beat on him, and then decided that he would kill me and win when we were both in the 100% range. I quit playing for a couple days because of that.
I hate that, I had something like that happen where he kept rolling the whole match til I got him to 100%+ with Lucario, then he just spammed Aura Sphere and side B. He lost of course, but still.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
fight someone ONCE, win or lose, and then they leave immediately...

then there's tons of japanese players getting on and then immediately leaving without having a match, like I'm not worth their time or something, the nerve...

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
The same moves over and over.

Learn to actually play, please.
Don't be childish, if what they're doing is working then let them use it and learn to beat it.

~~~~

I'm annoyed by people that have one match, beat me, then leave. I wanna see if I do better against you with my other mains, damn it.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Lag. It's why I pretty much just have friends over or do prearranged matches with Smashboards users instead of placing it on Nintendo's shoulders to find matches.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Rollcario. Roll roll roll aura sphere roll roll aura sphere aura sphere roll roll roll roll roll aura sphere etc.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Don't be childish, if what they're doing is working then let them use it and learn to beat it.

~~~~

I'm annoyed by people that have one match, beat me, then leave. I wanna see if I do better against you with my other mains, damn it.
It gets annoyin' when they literally just mash the attack button and different directions when you try to combo them. Not even 1 aerial evade or roll or anything. Just button mashing is another thing i hate.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
What angers me is when I lose a match because I was careless, or when lag is so bad that it's impossible to play.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Mr. Game and Watch. I don't know why. He's just some eldritch incomprehensible freak of nature to me. It's an unpredictable monster with odd, jerky movements. I can never tell what it's trying to communicate.

mustbepbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
mustbpbs

then there's tons of japanese players getting on and then immediately leaving without having a match, like I'm not worth their time or something, the nerve...
This. I managed to have ONE Japanese player not immediately quit after they entered the room and I blew the match. He left immediately after. I was so mad. It's like they think they're so superior to us they won't even give us the time of day.

Or they're just afraid of a bad connection. Probably the former because I like pitch forks and torches.

BBC7

Smash Ace
250px-Sonic_SSB4.png

Sonic is manageable offline, but online is a different story. It's kind of like how USF4 Blanka is around mid-tier offline but completely broken online. Lag changes things, man.

Last edited:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I don't know if I saved a replay of this, but in particular I hate the Lucarios, Samuses, and PAC-MANs (basically all characters with a chargeable projectile that literally just throw you off the edge and start charging their projectile and then fire it as soon as you become parallel to them. They roll across the stage if you overwhelm them and then somehow... They WIN. No matter how many times I read their predictable rolls and patterns, I can't seem to bet the win against them. Personally I think this opponent is even more devastating than Link spam. Just goes to show that lag ruins fighting games.

And I'm not gonna even mention DuckHunt...

Last edited:

Skylit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skylit
You know what really grinds my gears?

When my opponent uses the same 2-3 moveset pattern.. When they get a kill, they celebrate by doing rapid short hop aerials. You know, it would be nice if you used any of those moves during the actual match lol

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
Just the lag and lack of variety in characters since people only use high tiers now due to no more balance patches.

Vaughn Spanks

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say lag. Especially when playing a player that spams their projectiles repeatedly, then thinking they're good once they beat me. They usually end up leaving afterward because they knew I would've been ready on our next spar. Unless there's lag involved, which always screws me up..

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
I'm not targeting specifically anybody in this thread, but I've gotten over the "leaving after beating me" gear grinder and am now leaning more towards the people that get irrationally mad over FG itself. It's nice sparring practice, and once in a while I'll meet somebody that I enjoy playing against (like a Captain Falcon that I had genuine fun with two nights ago). Also, people that say FG is **** and shouldn't be used for what it was intended: competitive practice. Like, I get on just fine by only practicing in it since I have only one friend that I could actually spar against, and he never brings in his 3DS to school so I can actually play against him. He's a good Jigglypuff. Fg isn't that bad, sure some newer guys get on and you lose to them or they use some annoying strategy, but whatever works for them works, and it's not everybody; lots of times I'll face somebody who's genuinely a challenge, not to mention you can learn what mistakes you make by practicing on FG (I rolled way too much, but if it wasn't for my constant practice in FG I would've never phased it out).

Basically people who get mad over FG for silly reasons.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I get put up against someone who's waaaaaay better than me to the point where everything I do might as well be a mistake and I can't learn what I'm doing wrong.

deadcult

Smash Cadet
I don't even care about getting beat up by better player at this point. I just want a lag free match. Some game are so laughable that it looks like 2 people rolling their faces over the controller to see what would happen. Playing as Pikachu, the input lag severely messes up my game when I'm trying to quick attack. Normally I can quick attack any 2 directions in a row without a hitch but Online seems to think I shouldn't.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm not predisposed to hatred, but there are occasions when I feel like I've done something stupid and have lost because of that. Repeatedly using the same moves, for example, or rushing headfirst into the fray without considering what I'm doing.

I tend to see it as an opportunity to adapt and improve, though. If I make a mistake, then the impetus is on me to fix it, and it's always good practice to get bodied for your foolishness and try to play better next time.

Maluhky

Smash Rookie
NNID
Maluhky
You know what really grinds my gears?

When my opponent uses the same 2-3 moveset pattern.. When they get a kill, they celebrate by doing rapid short hop aerials. You know, it would be nice if you used any of those moves during the actual match lol
I could not have said this better lol. Out of the WHOLE moveset, they use about two of them.

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
What annoys me? Well there's actually a bunch of things that annoy me. Like King DDD users who spam they're Gordo all the time, Pacman and his fruits, and also GOOD Captain Falcon users. Not that I'm bad at facing him is just that sometimes he's so fast and strong that I barely even have time to react. The only time I can win is when they mess up their Falcon Kick and goes down and kills themselves. Oh also Link, Pit, And Dark Pit users who spam their projectiles. Also Diddy Kong who use their banana a lot which doesn't always work. The banana sometimes messes up combos of mine. And alsoVillagers who just us Special Side Bs all the time. Oh AND also ROB and his tops and lasers. Even fox annoys me, because of his lasers. Oh and Japanese Players (even people who are not japanese) who leave after one match (win or lose) or leave before we even start a match. Also players who taunt after you fail at your recovery, because of some bad lag and leave immediately. So yah, a BUNCH of things.

Last edited:

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
What annoys me? Well there's actually a bunch of things that annoy me. Like King DDD users who spam they're Gordo all the time, Pacman and his fruits, and also GOOD Captain Falcon users. Not that I'm bad at facing him is just that sometimes he's so fast and strong that I barely even have time to react. The only time I can win is when They mess up their Falcon King and goes down and kills themselves. Oh also Link, Pit, And Dark Pit users who spam their projectiles. Also Diddy Kong who use their banana a lot which doesn't always work. The banana sometimes messes up combos of mine. And alsoVillagers who just us Special Side Bs all the time. Oh AND also ROB and his tops and lasers. Even fox annoys me, because of his lasers. Oh and Japanese Players (even people who are not japanese) who leave after one match (win or lose) or leave before we even start a match. Also players who taunt after you fail at your recovery, because of some bad lag and leave immediately. So yah, a BUNCH of things.
So in general, you hate projectiles. I suggest a character with a reflector, or trying to perfect shield online.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
What annoys me? Well there's actually a bunch of things that annoy me. Like King DDD users who spam they're Gordo all the time, Pacman and his fruits, and also GOOD Captain Falcon users. Not that I'm bad at facing him is just that sometimes he's so fast and strong that I barely even have time to react. The only time I can win is when they mess up their Falcon Kick and goes down and kills themselves. Oh also Link, Pit, And Dark Pit users who spam their projectiles. Also Diddy Kong who use their banana a lot which doesn't always work. The banana sometimes messes up combos of mine. And alsoVillagers who just us Special Side Bs all the time. Oh AND also ROB and his tops and lasers. Even fox annoys me, because of his lasers. Oh and Japanese Players (even people who are not japanese) who leave after one match (win or lose) or leave before we even start a match. Also players who taunt after you fail at your recovery, because of some bad lag and leave immediately. So yah, a BUNCH of things.
Dedede is easy to counter if you have good timing. Gordo can be knocked back for serious damage if done with sufficient skill.

Pit, Dark Pit, Link and R.O.B. rely on their projectiles as part of their overall moveset. There's a difference between spamming it relentlessly and using it tactically, of course: they're not rushdown fighters, they're designed to lure the opponent into a false sort of move and then punishing them for it. Getting angry and rushing in for the kill because of their projectiles is exactly what we want you to do. Take it from a long-time Pit / R.O.B. player, all you need to do is adapt. Getting upset because we're launching missiles at you is like getting upset at Captain Falcon for kicking you or Diddy for having a tail. It's just part of their moveset. You need to be the better player and learn to exploit it, as that'll give you the advantage and you'll be able to fight on your own terms then.

tl;dr - Zoners rely on zoning. It's in the name. If you adapt to their zoning and maintain control of the stage, you win. Simple as~ :3

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
:4ness:

just :4ness:.

I cannot handle the boy in FG and he is everywhere! Ness and ZSS are the most commin fighters I see online and while ZSS players usually suck online (with the exception of a few), almost all Ness players do exceptionally well. His disjointed hitboxes, high priority areals, PK Thunder pressure and his easy-peasy PK fire -> dthrow -> 2x fair combo make him so enraging to fight.

I can handle him offline or with a perfect connection, NP, but the tiniest bit of lag screws over my dodging/shielding and benefits Ness's really easy to land moves.

Not trying to offend any Ness mains here, I just hate him online...

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman

I mean.. it's possible people have other things to do? There's no commitment to stay and play more smash. Some people just wanna play a game or two. Or only have enough time for that. Either way it's kinda ridiculous to think it's because they don't like you because they literally only have your username to go off of.

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Dedede is easy to counter if you have good timing. Gordo can be knocked back for serious damage if done with sufficient skill.

Pit, Dark Pit, Link and R.O.B. rely on their projectiles as part of their overall moveset. There's a difference between spamming it relentlessly and using it tactically, of course: they're not rushdown fighters, they're designed to lure the opponent into a false sort of move and then punishing them for it. Getting angry and rushing in for the kill because of their projectiles is exactly what we want you to do. Take it from a long-time Pit / R.O.B. player, all you need to do is adapt. Getting upset because we're launching missiles at you is like getting upset at Captain Falcon for kicking you or Diddy for having a tail. It's just part of their moveset. You need to be the better player and learn to exploit it, as that'll give you the advantage and you'll be able to fight on your own terms then.

tl;dr - Zoners rely on zoning. It's in the name. If you adapt to their zoning and maintain control of the stage, you win. Simple as~ :3
Yah guess I need to be patient more. But King Dedede is very hard for me too, because he's very hard to knockout on stage. I also has problem with him when he does his recovery. I don't know how to edgeguard against this guy, because I know he has a Super Armor while doing recovery. Link is sometimes hard to catch, because he throws projectiles EVERYWHERE, but still I could've done better if I have learned to exploit it.. Pit/ Dark Pit, well, the same as Link. Now I understand, I'm gonna keep these in mind. Thank you.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yah guess I need to be patient more. But King Dedede is very hard for me too, because he's very hard to knockout on stage. I also has problem with him when he does his recovery. I don't know how to edgeguard against this guy, because I know he has a Super Armor while doing recovery. Link is sometimes hard to catch, because he throws projectiles EVERYWHERE, but still I could've done better if I have learned to exploit it.. Pit/ Dark Pit, well, the same as Link. Now I understand, I'm gonna keep these in mind. Thank you.
Peach honestly terrifies me.

She's so super-aggressive that I can't react to her. Bear in mind that zoners tend to be defensive and if you can break down their zoning tactics, they'll be forced to retreat and try to think of something else to compensate. They may shatter your defenses as well, but just keep at 'em, and you'll find that the marchups will start to work in your favour instead~

Last edited:

Hotline Isaac

Smash Rookie
Link.

Just Link.

Not Toon Link. In fact, Toon Link is one of my favorite characters.

But Link. ohohoho.

I know, I know, he's easy to face. But whenever I see one that has a horrible roll-B-roll-sideb attack pattern, I get all bent up with rage and lose. I hate Link. I hate Link. I hate Link.

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Peach honestly terrifies me.

She's so super-aggressive that I can't react to her. Bear in mind that zoners tend to be defensive and if you can break down their zoning tactics, they'll be forced to retreat and try to think of something else to compensate. They may shatter your defenses as well, but just keep at 'em, and you'll find that the marchups will start to work in your favour instead~
So true. In fact I've been doing what you told me and it's been working on a lot of matches I had lately. I still have some trouble with King DDD though, because sometimes he changes the purpose of his gordos. To attack or to make it get in the way and that confuses me a lot.

mustbepbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
mustbpbs
I hate utilt strings. With a passion. Especially when you're a large character and you can't DI out of it till you're already at 40-50%.

Oh, only in FG? Taunters that taunt for no reason other than them being full of themselves.

Top Bottom