• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
Then you must experience salt on a maximum level if you get mad enough to do that :salt:
No, actually not. It's just fun to show other players how lame it is to face a spammer. The spammer usually quits after losing though. Gotta spam against the next one!

But it seems like you still didn't get the message and blame the others.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
No, actually not. It's just fun to show other players how lame it is to face a spammer. The spammer usually quits after losing though. Gotta spam against the next one!

But it seems like you still didn't get the message and blame the others.
Well judging by your name I was assuming you try to annoy people a lot, but I dunno.
I ain't blaming anyone anyways, that just seems really silly. I'd rather just keep destroying 'em with my legitimate playstyle, rather than stoop to that level is all. :drshrug:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
For Glory Teams:

• Teammates who start the match by standing at the edge of the stage and look left/right/walk slowly/teabag/whatever and watch you get double teamed instead of fighting.
  • Opponents who run away and jump off the edge of the stage the last few seconds of the match. Instant leave. It's annoying. Also opponents who run the entire match in general. Bye.
  • Opponents who get salty after losing to a certain character so switch to them AND THEN get paired up with me, so I'm stuck with the person who's getting bodied from the actual person who does main said character.
  • Teammates who can manage to die twice or more before clock even breaks a minute. Or teammates who die in literally the first ten seconds of a match. Which is usually no big deal but then refer to the first part of this bullet point.
  • Picking Lucas and three matches or so later having everyone suddenly switch to Ness.

Big Blue

Smash Rookie
NNID
LiquidBlue
For Glory Links. I like Link as a character, but on For Glory it just turns into a No Fun Zone with random smash attacks and constant projectile spam. The worst part is that I always seem to be paired up with Links lately (and the occasional, although not quite as bad, Dair Toon Link). The same could apply for Samus and ROB really, although I haven't seen too many lately.

That's really the only thing so far. I haven't encountered too many trash talkers yet but I've noticed an increase in the trolls which can be a little annoying.

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
lol today i was :4ganondorf: facing a :4pacman:
I was likt shoot this is gonna really test my patience but i want to see what kind of tricks this pac mans got, since every pac man i fought usually has some pretty wild stuff. Nah not this time. He decides to run the entire time. Though he did know how to B-reverse which was cool. But by run, i don't mean strategically zone, i mean literally run away from me and do nothing but throw hydrant, fruit, and use power pellet. So i'm Ganon. I punish him. HARD. I win. Back at CSS he says "OMG-OP-U-SUCK" and leaves promptly before i could tell him "GG" (i mean i had fun so i guess it would be a gg)

Then again i'm :4ganondorf: facing a :4kirby:.
What makes people think i'm just gonna run into inhale and let you Kirbycide me...ever? I proceeded to stomp the life out of him for 2 stocks and leave. Is that the new kirby craze everyone's been talking about? i thought people were seriously playing him and abusing f-throw or something not...this...why u do dis FG i just wanted to wreck with ganon ;__;

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
lol today i was :4ganondorf: facing a :4pacman:
I was likt shoot this is gonna really test my patience but i want to see what kind of tricks this pac mans got, since every pac man i fought usually has some pretty wild stuff. Nah not this time. He decides to run the entire time. Though he did know how to B-reverse which was cool. But by run, i don't mean strategically zone, i mean literally run away from me and do nothing but throw hydrant, fruit, and use power pellet. So i'm Ganon. I punish him. HARD. I win. Back at CSS he says "OMG-OP-U-SUCK" and leaves promptly before i could tell him "GG" (i mean i had fun so i guess it would be a gg)

Then again i'm :4ganondorf: facing a :4kirby:.
What makes people think i'm just gonna run into inhale and let you Kirbycide me...ever? I proceeded to stomp the life out of him for 2 stocks and leave. Is that the new kirby craze everyone's been talking about? i thought people were seriously playing him and abusing f-throw or something not...this...why u do dis FG i just wanted to wreck with ganon ;__;
First of all, I love your profile pic <3

Anyways, there's a ton of bad Kirby's online lol. It's really unfortunate considering I'm what I consider an alright Kirby player, but those guys who just camp the side....

My advice is to just Ganoncide those fools while the camp the side

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
First of all, I love your profile pic <3

Anyways, there's a ton of bad Kirby's online lol. It's really unfortunate considering I'm what I consider an alright Kirby player, but those guys who just camp the side....

My advice is to just Ganoncide those fools while the camp the side
lol thanks~
wow i haven't run into these kirby's before i've only heard the stories. they exist and i fear for my main becoming the "noob magnet" like he was in brawl online omg

also i prefer to just stomp these guys to death. it's not like Ganon's moves stale anyway Kappa

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I'm playing Marth, and I get paired with a flowchart Samus player. So typically the player spams rolls, missiles and charge shot, so I perfect shielded most of the projectiles. I nearly lost but after knocking her (The players name was Michelle) far off the stage she rage quits right before she dies. (I could tell since there was long loading symbol on the screen)
I hate when people just do that, it's not like other fighting games, where you don't get punished severely for rage quiting.

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
As a Palutena main, I've been trying new stuff in matches now since FG really doesn't make me mad anymore. I'll try doing dumb sht like pivot grabbing an air Falcon Punch or repeatedly trying to perfect shield a fully charged shield break; f-smashing into inhales, ducking under gordos, close-range Shadow Ball tennis, leapfrogging (jab>d-air over and behind), stuff like that. It's always funny when I attempt something and the result I get is "Well fkc, don't wanna try that again D:" At the same time, it's funny as hell when I get a player and the match becomes a learning experience involving them trying to figure out how they can approach me. Don't hang back there, guy! I'm just gonna spam autoreticle until you get over here! :o

The angry dittos are there too, but 20 seconds is spent waiting for them to figure out where Palutena is on the screen, and the rest of the match is me waiting on them to eventually warp offstage or away from the edge in a panic :p

If I could say, I think I've been getting more Marth, Ness and Mario players these days. Marth is pretty obvious: If I'm prepping for a shield grab and I see that silly drawback in the air my split-second reaction is to run from it now. Ness players are hardly a problem now, but my trouble comes from aggro Mario players who no longer hesitate when rushing me. These are the kind of guys who will only approach me with nonstop short-hop n-airs, d-airs and fireballs. They'll typically get close enough to clank my tilt and cancel the hitbox, and while my animation continues, they'll run up and grab me. I'm noticing they can roll into my f-tilt and nail me with an u-smash as well. This has been forcing me to use dash attacks and pivot grabs more often, especially since these guys never hang back. Occasionally I'll fight a good ZSS, and I'm forced to hang in center stage while she bounces around me to find an opening since the only way she's getting damage on me is through a point-blank grab. I'm not too familiar with whether ZSS has a lot of invincibility during her flip jump, but I'm only able to punish her when she recovers with it and usually after the afterimage fades, otherwise she'll use it to escape my pursuit.

I've been doing ffa and 2v2 more often, because it's pretty entertaining watching people (myself included) decide there's a common enemy and form temporary alliances.

Last edited:

Drewthedude64

Smash Cadet
There's no real reason to get salty, but I get suffocated in shakers when I lose to Little Macs. Little Mac can a great character, but after so many Little Mac montages getting rekt amd gimped, I lose it when I lose to one on For Glory.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Some more nitpicking.
Recently in my Hobo-related journeys, Captain Falcons have been popping up everywhere.
They always taunt at the beginning.
I follow suit, and then they hit me and think it's funny.
I'm off the stage, recovering from below?
They full-hop and DAir at the peak of their jump. ...What?
I'm recovering from above?
They short-hop and try to Knee, despite the fact that I'm way above them. ...?
Also they REALLY like trying to pull the grab-release with me.
No.
I watch Alpharad too, ya twit. I know that ****. Stop acting like I don't know how to play the game.
Dash Grab abuse? I can just switch to one of the Pink Puffs that I love oh-so-much and duck under that **** and punish with a Rest or FSmash.

And now; a little telltale.
One time I was Kirby and I found a fellow Hobo wandering For Glory. His Internet was amazing, it was like playing Offline.
About 3 minutes, 2 taken stocks and ~100% each later, and something peculiar happened.
I break Ryu's shield VIA Stone. I proceed to wait a bit, and start charging a FSmash.
Ryu snaps out earlier than I thought, and attempts to FSmash to save himself.
FSmashes collide right at the tip of eachother. No damage dealt, no launches occur, just a bit of endlag.
And then, silence.
We both stood still for a bit.
Appreciated in how awesome that **** was.
We proceeded to taunt and continue on. Every match after, we began our duel with that FSmash collision.
And it was then where I started to cry a little.
Because the worst thing in For Glory.
YOU CAN'T SEND FRIEND REQUESTS TO ACTUAL GOOD/FUN PLAYERS IN SMASH 3DS.
Damnit, Nintendo...

D

Deleted member

Why is it so bad for somebody to stick with one character and not switch? I will usually play Palutena and nobody else simply because I find her the most fun character in the game, and as a result, I can actually put up a legitimate challenge when using her simply because I know my character inside and out. In my opinion, it's more fun to face a player that only uses 1 character that they are actually good with than it is to face somebody who uses 20 characters that are all flowcharts.
This is a waaaaay late reply, but what does "flowchart" mean?

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
This is a waaaaay late reply, but what does "flowchart" mean?
No worries. A "flowchart" is a term in fighting games that describes a generic, predictable, and often easy to beat playstyle that players of a certain character often use. The term originates from the Street Fighter 4 community as many new players picked up the character Ken and would always use the same move in specific situations regardless of what the opponent is doing, which made them very easy to predict. If you want a better idea of what I mean, do a google image search of "Flowchart Ken".

Anyways, an example of a flowchart in this game would be a Link player that always uses arrows at long range, boomerangs at mid range, and up smash at close range or a Captain Falcon player that only ever attempts to dash grab and forward air.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I stopped playing FG but second the popular opinion that Link is mindless and annoying in lag. What bothers me is Link is a very complex character offline. Lag abusers don't know how to use him properly or have any real skill; it's just a smash/roll/spam fest that would get punished hard if not for the lag.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I faced this fox the other day, who would just roll to one side of the stage, and spam laser. Then, when I approach, he jumps, dair->fsmash regardless if it connects or not. Then, after hitting me with a dair once, he would try again. After I shield, and then punish, he would roll to the other side, and start again. So annoying.

Of course I beat him, but why do people play like this? Is it someone trolling? Playing on tilt? A little kid? Maybe. But don't tell me it's a new player, because I NEVER played like that when I first started. Yeah, I rolled a lot, but not across the stage. I never spammed or did anything this fox did.

I blocked that guy so fast you have no idea lol.

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
I blame it on autism.

I've seen Link players doing the same thing. Even when you weren't anywhere in reach, they just kept continuing their routine (throw the boomerang, throw a bomb in the air and then that tornado and bow) no matter what. Even if it wasn't effective or if you punished them. Nothing can stop them. Just a mindless repetition like a techno party on X.

They probably play like that for hours straight until someone taps them on their shoulder and tells them everything is gonna okay. One day you will defeat somebody in Smash Bros. Now go to bed and don't forget to take your pills.

D

Deleted member

When people dashdance or hold the jab button after KO'ing me. The former really aggravates me because it shows how much of a cocky pillock they already are. It's like "HEY, CHECK ME OUT DOING ADVANCE TECH! YOU CAN'T TOUCH THIS!"

KirbCider

Smash Ace
One thing that bugs me a little is people who complain about lag, whether there's very little or just some here and there. I went against someone yesterday who immediately put up "FIXURLAG" after the match and proceeded to stay. There was very little of it, and if it really bothered them that bad why even choose to stay exactly? Don't complain about lag and proceed to stay for more.

What I have noticed though is the ones who have these lag tags ready are often the only people I have laggy matches with. It's literally rare for me to encounter lag whether it's big or small, but when I do it's someone with a "LAG" tag complaining about it.

I wonder if they will realize maybe it's them that has the lag...?

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
Maybe he got a 200mbit up/down glassfiber boss internets connection, like real champs like myself do and knows it's you

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
One thing that bugs me a little is people who complain about lag, whether there's very little or just some here and there. I went against someone yesterday who immediately put up "FIXURLAG" after the match and proceeded to stay. There was very little of it, and if it really bothered them that bad why even choose to stay exactly? Don't complain about lag and proceed to stay for more.

What I have noticed though is the ones who have these lag tags ready are often the only people I have laggy matches with. It's literally rare for me to encounter lag whether it's big or small, but when I do it's someone with a "LAG" tag complaining about it.

I wonder if they will realize maybe it's them that has the lag...?
Holy thing! That's annoying. I played a game against your typical Charizard who was interrupted every time he started Flare Blitz. With quite the percentage, he SD'd twice and complained "LAG!" on the CSS. Man, my game was 100% solid and consistent. Maybe it's your internet? There is also this guy who won 2-1 and after THREE BATTLES he said "BADINTERNET". I sat there questioning logic.
As a side note, I've noticed a lot of people suddenly deciding to play as Kirby against me ever since I decided to start using "KirbCider" as my tag over my old one. I've done this so if I ever came across any SmashBoard members on FG they could easily find me here, but instead I now have plenty of folks trying to pull out Kirby on me. I don't mind ditto matches. I don't mind if someone wants to try and use my main. In fact, you can sometimes pick up some new tricks seeing them from the other side...

But to decide on using a character just cause of someones tag is kinda silly. Jokes on them though as I rarely ever start out with Kirby anymore nor use him as much. Most expect a Kirby but instead get a King Dedede, Villager, or ROB at the start.
It's so silly seeing people going Puff against me and discovering I'm a Kirby main!

Last edited:

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
That's because Kirby vs Kirby matches are usually just fun. No grabfest, fights in the air and off stage and no running away from each other. Just Smash Bros how it should be

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I hate when people in 2v2 (or free for all) get taunted by others, and then take their anger out on me even though I didn't do anything.

One time on 2v2 there was a Yoshi on the other team that kept accidentally egg-rolling off of the stage. The other players (including his own Bowser partner) kept taunting while I just stood there and did nothing. For the next match, that same Yoshi kills me normally and then does that "YOSH-YOSH!" taunt twice.

Yes Yoshi, don't take your anger on the players that literally laughed at you; take it out on the guy who had nothing to do with it.

AkumaKing

Smash Apprentice
Some things that grind my gears? Well...
1. Roll spam
2. Attack/"Strategy" Spamming (every character seems to have their own variation of it on there)
3. Name calling via the name change function
4. Not exclusive to FG, but some people just taunt any chance they get and it annoys me to an extent

I could probably find more, but I stay away from FG as much as possible to keep myself sane and preserve what little skill I have.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Spammy and Smash-Only Attack spammers.

The other day I had to fight agaisnt one of those as Dr. Mario and got beat at first by Link and Mewtwo. But once on the third match with the latter, I REKT him with 'reads', well-placed proyectiles, and small attacks to stop its campy attitude. The guy didn't even know how to defend himself once I started doing that and got a 3-victory streak on him before quitting the game...

Sometimes, they just ASK for it to be beaten so badly.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Just last night, when playing as Little Mac, I fought a Mario user who literally did nothing but roll across the stage and wait on the edge. No matter how many times I grab him and toss him to the center, he still rolls towards the edge and waits. You must think I'm stupid or something?

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
And now; a little telltale.
One time I was Kirby and I found a fellow Hobo wandering For Glory. His Internet was amazing, it was like playing Offline.
About 3 minutes, 2 taken stocks and ~100% each later, and something peculiar happened.
I break Ryu's shield VIA Stone. I proceed to wait a bit, and start charging a FSmash.
Ryu snaps out earlier than I thought, and attempts to FSmash to save himself.
FSmashes collide right at the tip of eachother. No damage dealt, no launches occur, just a bit of endlag.
And then, silence.
We both stood still for a bit.
Appreciated in how awesome that **** was.
We proceeded to taunt and continue on. Every match after, we began our duel with that FSmash collision.
And it was then where I started to cry a little.
Because the worst thing in For Glory.
YOU CAN'T SEND FRIEND REQUESTS TO ACTUAL GOOD/FUN PLAYERS IN SMASH 3DS.
Damnit, Nintendo...
I know how you feel, that sucks. Yesterday I played a good Pikachu player at my level of playing and we had some tense matches. He managed to 2-stock me twice and I manage to read Quick Attack with PK Flash, but sadly I could not resgiter him, because the Smash team doesn't take notes from Pokemon X's online. And while I don't like that game, the online interaction is amazing for what it does.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Don't you just hate it when you get sent flying by an attack, into a person who just so happens to do an attack sending you flying and possibly killing you?

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
right now,its For Glory Links. for the most part,its the same Boomerang to Arrow trick. Also me doing side b as little mac when the gale boomerang is behind me. XD (Don't do this at home kids!)

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
The worst thing in FG are players who don't approach or attack. A lot of players do nothing but standing still. Some even do a fake attack, bait thing. Where they just jump close to your character and hope you attack. It's so lame.

Zero Suit Samus is also really lame these days. All players only have one way to approach: grab. Sometimes the gun and grab. Over and over again. Only jumping in between.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I can't stand when people try to fake out intentional SD's.

Today I fought a Sheik player and there was a ton of input lag. We both realized it so we kill ourselves and run off to do it again (so that the match can end). When we both run off the ledge again, the Sheik jumps back onto the ledge to avoid losing. I notice this and try to recover but it's too late. The Sheik was on the results screen for a while so I'm guessing they saved the replay and posted it somewhere ("LOL LOOK AT THIS I TRICKED A GUY IN A LAGGY MATCH XD!").

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Just last night, when playing as Little Mac, I fought a Mario user who literally did nothing but roll across the stage and wait on the edge. No matter how many times I grab him and toss him to the center, he still rolls towards the edge and waits. You must think I'm stupid or something?
Ugh. Sorry to heat that. I have found a couple of Marios (and other characters at that, using that tactic) doing that and it is annoying. I play as regular and Dr. and I NEVER resort to such tactics. If only people didn't take that tactic, then maybe matches would be more, I don't know, fair.

Maybe Little Mac INTIMIDATED them, and wanted an easy victory knowing of his bad recovery?

right now,its For Glory Links. for the most part,its the same Boomerang to Arrow trick. Also me doing side b as little mac when the gale boomerang is behind me. XD (Don't do this at home kids!)
Lel. Links are such a problem. When annoyed, if you can't help it and have the character to do so, you go for the same tactic as them, spam proyectiles.

truestory.jpg

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Ugh. Sorry to heat that. I have found a couple of Marios (and other characters at that, using that tactic) doing that and it is annoying. I play as regular and Dr. and I NEVER resort to such tactics. If only people didn't take that tactic, then maybe matches would be more, I don't know, fair.

Maybe Little Mac INTIMIDATED them, and wanted an easy victory knowing of his bad recovery?
Yeah, those suckas can't even handle him. They're so desperate.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Yeah, I mean, a character that hits HARD and is FAST, can be pretty dangerous in the right hands, so yeah.

The 'suckas' truly can go flying away to the horizon before they can go: "Mamma Mia..." :dazwa:

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
Of course, you must be. You played as Libble Max.

You love boring games to get a little W.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Players who start camping when they have the lead. Usually characters that have various jumps like the Kirby crew and Jigglypuff.

Top Bottom