• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

rjpageuk

Smash Cadet
No one should start a match off with a taunt. I just don't understand this practice. I always run up and punish someone that does this. I don't see it as a sign of disrespect, I see it simply as a free hit. Don't give me that opportunity if you don't want me to take it.
It isnt meant to be a sign of disrespect it is meant to convey the message "Hi, thanks for playing me, I hope we have some fun games".

If your response to such a message is to take the opportunity to get a free hit then maybe you can see why it appears rude!

The only time I taunt is when someone has killed me in a particularly nice way, so I taunt as soon as I come back to life to as to say "well done nice kill". People even try to attack me during that sometimes, maybe it was you :).

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I swear I've been reading so much hate for "the typical FG Link" that I never really understood. Anytime I'd ended up fighting a Link online, they've played pretty normally. I'll shield through a few projectiles and then they'll fight me up close once I break through their wall. From my past experiences, Links weren't so bad.
This ended today. Good lord, today.

This Link was the devil.

I'm Fox, right? I can just put up my reflector and block all his spam! But no, my good ol' buddy LAG was not on my side this time. I could break through his wall of doom every once in a while only to eat five uptilts in a row or an occasional up-smash. He eventually made a switch to Ganon which I managed to beat twice with Roy... Then the demon Link returned.
The end, at least, was satisfying. I pulled a switch to Falco and reflected every. Single. Projectile. After taking about 120% of his own bombs and arrows he SD'd his first stock and got replaced by a CPU.
I always thought FG Links were a myth. A legend. Oh no no no. The horror is very real. And I feel for all of you who've had to put up with such spawns of the devil.

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
As others have mentioned, I hate FG links. Offline, no problem, but online... oh no.. just.. no. I have yet to face a FG link who actually knew how to use the character, and was good. Every single one I've face just rolls, and spams, roll.. smash attack..

and while I can still typically beat them, it becomes an annoying chore. I don't find any enjoyment from facing them, so I just simply SD twice and leave. Tell me I get frustrated too easily, tell me to "git gud," I really don't care. I refuse to face a link on FG anymore.

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
Ryu players who don't use the original input commands but use B for special moves make me cringe. It's just embarrassing to watch. Usually I copy them as Kirby and show them how to throw fireballs, but they never get it.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Ryu players who don't use the original input commands but use B for special moves make me cringe. It's just embarrassing to watch. Usually I copy them as Kirby and show them how to throw fireballs, but they never get it.
My attitude towards them isn't as extreme as yours, but I agree it's kind pathetic. If you're going to play Ryu, you need to get all four of his inputs into muscle memory if you want to be even remotely threatening, and honestly none of them are even that difficult considering the reward you get for using them.

Whenever I use Ryu, is say about 95% of the specials I use in a match are caused by the SF inputs + A button, and the rest are used for recovery and Focus Attack, and I'm beginning to use SF inputs to recover more often.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It isnt meant to be a sign of disrespect it is meant to convey the message "Hi, thanks for playing me, I hope we have some fun games".

If your response to such a message is to take the opportunity to get a free hit then maybe you can see why it appears rude!

The only time I taunt is when someone has killed me in a particularly nice way, so I taunt as soon as I come back to life to as to say "well done nice kill". People even try to attack me during that sometimes, maybe it was you :).
To be honest I understand both sides of this. The thing people need to realize is you aren't forced to do a "Greeting Taunt" nor is there a rule where you have to let them finish a taunt of any kind. Not everyone is going to do this on For Glory so don't expect it.

That being said, I myself only do a Greeting Taunt when my opponent does it first because of this. I know in the back of my mind that not everyone is going to do it and will see it as a chance to land a first hit. Now, if someone does a taunt after spawning I'll allow them to do it or sometimes even taunt back. Most of these people are honestly respectful and very nice players who I tend to have a lot of fun with sometimes, so I just find it respectful to let them do it and/or return the favor. I only find it fair to do so honestly.

Again though just cause that's how I, you, or others feel we have to understand not everyone shares that mindset on For Glory.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
You must be fun at parties.
I don't see what that has to do with my original post, but I am a delight at parties. ;)

As I said, I don't see it as a sign of disrespect. I simply see it as a free opportunity. I'm an old-school Smash player. If you give me a free hit, I'm going to take it, whether it's in the middle of the match or at the start. I don't care if it's a taunt, a whiffed attack or a punishable move.

I can't think of any other game (or sport, for that matter) where one would do something like this once a match started. I understand the intended purpose of it, but I disagree with the practice. If you want to say something before the match, change your tag or something. Once the announcer says "Go!".... I'm going. If I started out a match with a taunt, I'd hope my opponent hit me with his best shot. /end_rant

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
I swear I've been reading so much hate for "the typical FG Link" that I never really understood. Anytime I'd ended up fighting a Link online, they've played pretty normally. I'll shield through a few projectiles and then they'll fight me up close once I break through their wall. From my past experiences, Links weren't so bad.

This Link was the devil.

I'm Fox, right? I can just put up my reflector and block all his spam! But no, my good ol' buddy LAG was not on my side this time. I could break through his wall of doom every once in a while only to eat five uptilts in a row or an occasional up-smash. He eventually made a switch to Ganon which I managed to beat twice with Roy... Then the demon Link returned.
The end, at least, was satisfying. I pulled a switch to Falco and reflected every. Single. Projectile. After taking about 120% of his own bombs and arrows he SD'd his first stock and got replaced by a CPU.
I always thought FG Links were a myth. A legend. Oh no no no. The horror is very real. And I feel for all of you who've had to put up with such spawns of the devil.
You must be really lucky, because the only type of Link I fight are the "For Glory" type.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
As I said, I don't see it as a sign of disrespect.
But it is entirely disrespectful, regardless of how you see it ^_^ But if you don't mind being seen as a jerk by other online players, have it your way!

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
I agree with taunting at the beginning of the match is not a sign of disrespect. But a sign of , good luck and good games! I usually do it every round, and every once in awhile. Someone goes for that fee hit, but if they do.....I punish them hard...lol Then Taunt like crazy after I slay them. Show me disrespect.

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
I am being disrespectful is someone is playing lame(overly defensive, spamming). Then I dance and hump all over the place with Kirby when I kill you. I am also disrespectful to players with a ****ty internet connection. Don't play online if you can't afford hi speed internet.Go away. Play Farm Ville or something.

One thing I really hate is when players never just land back on the stage(or attack back from the air) when recovering, but always try to grab the ledge and hang for a few seconds. It takes forever. Sometimes it's punishable but they even do it if they're on the other side of the stage

Last edited:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato

I respect opening taunts but I do not taunt back. Stealing the free hit is disrespectful in my book.

Now peeps that taunt just because they got my first stock...those grind my gears because it's disrespectful in my book. Although I'm okay with Game stock taunts.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
But it is entirely disrespectful, regardless of how you see it ^_^ But if you don't mind being seen as a jerk by other online players, have it your way!
Me being disrespectful or them?

I respect opening taunts but I do not taunt back. Stealing the free hit is disrespectful in my book.

Now peeps that taunt just because they got my first stock...those grind my gears because it's disrespectful in my book. Although I'm okay with Game stock taunts.
Where is it written that you should start the match out with a taunt and your opponent should not touch you even though the match has begun? I don't recall getting that memo. If you could politely direct me to that, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Where is it written that you should start the match out with a taunt and your opponent should not touch you even though the match has begun? I don't recall getting that memo. If you could politely direct me to that, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Disrespectful in my book. If you have different views about it, go ahead. I'm not one to stop you, you're your own person.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
People can taunt at the beginning if they want, but they shouldnt complain if they're gonna get hit while they do it. That's just the risk of using a taunt

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
After only 1 day of trying out tournament mode, it ****ing sucks in regards to players. I have not once came across someone who doesn't taunt me when I accidentally SD.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Spammers in general are annoying, specifically FG Links.

Today, I fought a Lucas player who's "strategy" was to spam PK Fire three times and then try to hit me with a long-range PK Thunder. Rinse, repeat.
He later switched to Ryu and decided to use Side-B back and forth across the map. And that's. IT.
He got me off the stage, and proceeded to spam "HADOKEN HADOKEN HADOKEN" over and over again.
I killed him both times, but.... GAHHH

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857

This Link was the devil.

I fought a Link LITERALLY exactly like this today on For Glory. I started the round as roy and couldn't get in. I swapped to Fox after that and he had switched to Ganon to spam his Side B and Down B, which I beat. Then he went to Mr. Game and Watch and spammed there. He then went back to Link, spammed, and left. I only beat him when he used Ganon because I could actually get in to attack him.

Like I previously stated though, I typically don't get salty against Link. But, if all they do is Bow-Boomerang-Roll-Repeat, then there's a problem. I understand that Link is supposed to be played somewhat-campy to rack up damage before killing, but stuff like this is ridiculous.

Bellerophon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistermaster420
:4rob:S that do nothing but gyros, lasers, and down-smash all the time are awful.

Bonus points if they use the virtual boy color and that arm spinning taunt after I lose a stock.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
:4rob:S that do nothing but gyros, lasers, and down-smash all the time are awful.

Bonus points if they use the virtual boy color and that arm spinning taunt after I lose a stock.
Yeah, didn't think I was the only one whose only encounters with ROBs was that. Makes for disappointing matches.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I hate when people brag about their win when the opponent purposefully SD's to make the match fair.

I was browsing some random youtube videos when I saw one with this exact situation happen. I don't want to start a witchhunt so I'll refer to the uploader as "player". Basically the player in the video accidentally SD'd, and the opponent he was fighting (and no this was not me, I only SD if we both have low %) SD's to give the other player a chance. When he does so the player taunts like he accomplished something. The opponent taunts as sort of a friendly gesture and then the player hits him in the middle of his taunt. The player wins as a result of the opponent intentionally SD'ing, and posts the match to Youtube with a title like "[player] wins again!" or something like that (even though he probably would of lost if the other player didn't SD).

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I fought this really amazing Shulk (a character who I haven't run into For Glory for what feels like years) who cycled through their arts like nothing and was all around an awesome challenge. I was so ready to go like twenty rounds with this guy! Only three rounds though. Because then he switched to Sonic.

Run into a pretty decent Marth, also a rare breed as far as my For Glory experience goes, fought two rounds, then he switched to Sonic.

Captain Falcon! I wasn't as annoyed when I ran into him this time since I have been getting some variety today. But after two rounds HE SWITCHED TO SONIC!

Does everyone have Sonic as a secondary? Of course not in the literal sense lol. But a lot of people kept pulling out Sonic out of nowhere. And in the case of the Shulk, he won the first round, I the second, then he beat me again in the third before switching to Sonic. So that one at least had nothing to do with salt.

But yeah pretty weird and annoying.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
As a Duck Hunt main myself, Sonic's among the most dreaded to me IF I don't get to bring Customs, because Sonic's fast enough that he just doesn't have to care about my arsenal in the slightest, aside from Can. Thankfully, I play an aggressive rushdown style (that for this MU, forgoes Gunmen & Clays in favor of Cans, jabs, tilts, grabs, and aerials, IF Customs are off), and the many Sonics I've fought online don't seem as defensive as StaticManny's, whose style of Sonic play I'm actually ok with to the point of actually being a fan of it, since I've seen some pretty "lame" styles from other fighting games, like SSF2T's Old Sagat/New Dhalsim/New Ryu (yes folks, there was a time when RYU was one of the kings of lameouts. He, Ken, Dhalsim, Guile, and Old Sagat were credited with the (in)famous Fireball --> Anti-Air trap that generally stomped anyone without either a projectile themselves (Chun-Li, Dee Jay) or any maneuver designed to break through the trap (Claw/Vega's Wall-Dives & fast jumps, Boxer/Balrog's invincible Headbutt and long-ranged (dash) punches).), Skullgirls's Peacock in general (as a Cerebella main myself, I'm GLAD she's gained tools to deal with her), UMVC3 Morrigan/Doctor Doom/Vergil (made (in)famous by ChrisG), Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (CPS3/XBox Live Arcade)'s Pet Shop, etc. So after having witnessed such styles for years, I'll also admit to liking Dabuz's Rosalina & Olimar and even CaptAwesum's Custom Villager, if mainly because I firmly believe there's a way to challenge the campsites and even win for doing so, which I find great thrills in trying to prove it true.

Luckily for us, ST Ryu's fireball --> uppercut trap doesn't work here, due to the multitude of options seemingly everyone in the cast has to combat it (clanking, airdodges, powershielding, 2+ jumps, spotdodges, rolls, reflectors, counters, projectiles in general, etc.).

Since I'm most often in FG FFA and FG Teams on the 3DS version whenever he shows up, I'll either try to launch him into the crowd to help wombo combo him from 0 to 60% in 3.5 seconds, or let my teammate focus on him for over 50% of the match while I pick on Sonic's teammate and provide as much cover fire as I can for my partner who's focusing on Sonic while handling Sonic's partner for my teammate.

With Customs ON in certain rooms in the Wii U's (Regular) Tourney Mode, while I WISH to rep either 3222 (what I'd pick, so I can do ST Old Sagat/UMVC3 Morrigan styled "Tiger!"/"Soul Fist!" lameouts as a way to play distant footsies with him while trying to close in on him) or 3223 (DunnoBro suggested this one, some time ago), I'll likely be caught repping 3123 or 3133 to account for everyone else I may be running across. A big gripe I have with the Customs On Regular Tourney rooms is that there's no option to switch Custom Loadouts in-between rounds in the Regular Tourney rooms, which sucks, considering that in actual tournaments and in the 1st screen of Tourney Mode (as in, outside of the Regular Tourney area), you CAN do just that. I've lost to a Ganondorf as DH in a 1v1 Custom Glory Tourney room because I was stuck with 3123 when he showed up. If I had 3122 (I'd personally pick this one) or 3132 or 3121 or 3131, I most certainly would've been able to win that.

Thankfully, I have my other main :4bowserjr: to handle upclose boxing with Sonic, even withOUT Customs, if my doggy gets bopped. >:p

Last edited:

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
I don't see what that has to do with my original post, but I am a delight at parties. ;)

As I said, I don't see it as a sign of disrespect. I simply see it as a free opportunity. I'm an old-school Smash player. If you give me a free hit, I'm going to take it, whether it's in the middle of the match or at the start. I don't care if it's a taunt, a whiffed attack or a punishable move.

I can't think of any other game (or sport, for that matter) where one would do something like this once a match started. I understand the intended purpose of it, but I disagree with the practice. If you want to say something before the match, change your tag or something. Once the announcer says "Go!".... I'm going. If I started out a match with a taunt, I'd hope my opponent hit me with his best shot. /end_rant
It shouldn't matter either way, since you should be able to get away with a taunt without getting punished if you don't hesitate.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

I'll only ever do this if I run into someone with terrible connection, because I can't really do much else when half of my inputs get lagged out LMAO
But yeah I agree, FG ROBs that only do this aren't real ROB mains IMO.

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
I fought a Link LITERALLY exactly like this today on For Glory. I started the round as roy and couldn't get in. I swapped to Fox after that and he had switched to Ganon to spam his Side B and Down B, which I beat. Then he went to Mr. Game and Watch and spammed there. He then went back to Link, spammed, and left. I only beat him when he used Ganon because I could actually get in to attack him.

Like I previously stated though, I typically don't get salty against Link. But, if all they do is Bow-Boomerang-Roll-Repeat, then there's a problem. I understand that Link is supposed to be played somewhat-campy to rack up damage before killing, but stuff like this is ridiculous.
95% of Links I fight do Boomerang,Arrow, repeat. Even when I'm two feet in front of them.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
95% of Links I fight do Boomerang,Arrow, repeat. Even when I'm two feet in front of them.
Honestly, I've actually only ever run into two Links like this. Of course, I'm only on the 3DS version, and I'm sure it's much worse on the Wii U. And yes, I SD to get away from it and leave after that.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
That moment when you play as a low-tier hero (like Robin or a Mii) and someone calls you "CHEAP" or "OPASFCK." That moment is when I realise how far I've come, and how low some others can go.

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
Bum****, FL (Heart forever in Massachusetts)
NNID
Dante_Galileo
Dear everyone who has the nerve to taunt when your opponent dies because of lag rather than anything you did,

1. Locate the public toilet nobody seems to clean. A dirty home toilet will suffice if you cannot find the former.
2. Stick head in bowl.
3. Flush repeatedly.

With "love", SWL

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Facing a good Kirby Player. I hate Kirby's smallness, making him very hard to hit, and don't even get me started on that annoyingly fast tripping down tilt.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Projectile spammers who think they can win by just staying in one place.

People who think they can use Little Mac.

Scrubs who win once out of many fights they lost in and brag about how good he/she is before leaving.

Shulks. Oh, the Shulks...

Flare Blitzing Charizards.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Not For Glory, but For Fun instead... It is a bit annoying when you want to have some fun in said mode, but all you encounter are extra competitive players. If you want to win so badly, please proceed to For Glory and have it your way, leave For Fun for those who want have some silly fun.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being competitive and wanting to win, but there's a mode specific for that.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
I suppose I get annoyed when I am faced with a player whom proceeds to mirror the character you are using in a spammy sort of way. I often times face players who get salty after I defeat them once, promptly switching to Pikachu or Greninja to mirror me, while taunting and just being an general ass after every kill. I can understand getting mad, but this reaction is quite unreasonable in my eyes.

Playerhater

Smash Cadet
I suppose I get annoyed when I am faced with a player whom proceeds to mirror the character you are using in a spammy sort of way. I often times face players who get salty after I defeat them once, promptly switching to Pikachu or Greninja to mirror me, while taunting and just being an general *** after every kill. I can understand getting mad, but this reaction is quite unreasonable in my eyes.
I always do that to cheap spammy players.

Pick same character, double the spam and win with tripletaunts. You mad?

Top Bottom