• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Haven't been getting notifications for some reason.

If you're European, there's gonna be a sale on Xenoblade. It's going up for 20 euro on the Wii U eshop. I think that's 40 USD, which is very expensive for a digital game, especially one that's over five years old. That said, Xenoblade is probably my second favorite RPG, and the tiny New 3DS screen can't and won't do it justice. It's a game that you need to see on a big screen. So, if you're looking for legal methods, this is probably the only way without shelling out the big bucks.

Xenoblade X hype!
I actually don't have a Wii U :( I also prefer physical copies, and I live in the US. Thanks for the info though.

KH's story is confusing no matter where you start. Even those of us who has been with it since the beginning have a hard time wrapping our heads around it, so I wouldn't even worry.
Ah okay, so would you recommend 1.5 Remix, or 2.5?

I played PokeMMO a way while back. It was honestly pretty underwhelming due to just being Fire Red but with a million other people running around. There was no cooperative content of any kind, PVP was barely present and for how little everyone else affected your experience you might as well be playing a single player game. Plus the game requires certain files that are difficult to acquire these days, and it's honestly not worth the trouble.

I haven't heard of Pokemon World Online, though. I think I'll go look into that.

EDIT: Sunk a few hours into PWO last night. It's okay. It's certainly better than PokeMMO as it actually makes attempts to incorporate elements of MMORPG game play into the Pokemon formula. That being said, the game is certainly a work in progress. It's missing a ton of basic features and a lot of them are needlessly complicated by splitting them between the website and the game itself.

However, both game miss the point of MMORPGs -- Teaming up with like-minded players to accomplish a common goal. Like PokeMMO, there is zero cooperative content of any kind. Instead it still feels like my Fire Red playthrough got invaded by a bunch of other players since none of them have any meaningful impact on you. I'm still holding out for that one Pokemon MMORPG that gets it right. Focus less trying to awkwardly fit MMORPGisims into a single player game and focus more on how to take elements from Pokemon and fit them into an MMORPG.
Yeah, that's kinda why I stopped playing PokeMMO after about a half hour. It just seemed like Fire Red to me, I wasn't actually interacting with anyone else, so it kinda bored me. Do you have any possible recommendations for other sprite based MMORPGs? I heard Maple Story was good way back but not so great now. Plus, I run Linux, and MS isn't for Linux.

Thanks for your opinion on the games :)

Last edited:

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
I don't know your taste in games, but going by your post I'm going to stick with RPGs and strategy games. Other good 3D games include Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default, LoZ: A Link Between Worlds, Shin Megami Tensei IV and Pokemon X/Y.
I've heard good things about Bravely Default and SMT, I'll have to look more into them. Thanks for the suggestion. And yes, Awakening is really great, it was a good time playing.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Plus, I run Linux, and MS isn't for Linux.
Does Wine not work for some reason? I'm looking to switch to Linux to avoid any Windows version 8 or above, how does Wine usually function with games?

I've really been thinking of playing Xenoblade Chronicles. Should I track down the Wii version and give it a go, or should I pursuit other games?
If you can find it at a somewhat-reasonable price (read:50-70 bones), get it. I'd definitely say I got $90 worth of enjoyment out of Xenoblade, but I don't think I'd actually pay $90 for it. Europe is releasing it on Wii U Eshop for 20 euro, NoA hasn't commented yet (meaning they hate money). Aside from that, there are always, *ahem* less legal methods of playing rare and expensive games, and the Wii is one of the easiest consoles to do it on. You don't need a modchip or anything, just a set of instructions and the right software packages. A smattering of Spanish helps too, because some of the software isn't written in English. Make sure to get the right set of instructions, because if you get the wrong ones it won't work. As always, make sure you use BootMii to back everything up before installing cIOSes.

When you do manage to get everything working, you'll have to launch some or all of your games from a region-free loader called GeckoOS. Some games force updates to certain parts of the software when you launch the disk, and Gecko prevents that if you check the "Skip update partition" option. There's little to no benefit to the user for these updates, and only a tiny fraction of games require these updated bits of software. It's only to prevent you from doing things like this, in which case... Fair enough, I guess, but we still want to do these things and can find ways around the measure implemented against them.

To get started with Wii modding, go to wiibrew.org and read a little. It's strictly an above-the-table site, so you won't find anybody willing to direct you to the less legal end of the modding community. However, it will get you started on the legal end and give you enough of a working knowledge to understand the installation instructions to stuff like USBLoader and Neogamma.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Does Wine not work for some reason? I'm looking to switch to Linux to avoid any Windows version 8 or above, how does Wine usually function with games?
I have Wine, but I don't really use it. Its performance tends to vary with different programs and it's not always stable.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
So there's the video game store called Player 1. They've got a ton of old games, and I'm in the market for a 64 game. I'm trading in a few games, and should have enough store credit to cushion the purchase on one of their games. Here's what I'm in the market for:
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Kart 64
  • Ocarina of Time
What game should I get?

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So there's the video game store called Player 1. They've got a ton of old games, and I'm in the market for a 64 game. I'm trading in a few games, and should have enough store credit to cushion the purchase on one of their games. Here's what I'm in the market for:
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Kart 64
  • Ocarina of Time
What game should I get?
I'd go for Mario Kart but only if you have people to play it with, if you do you'll probably get more mileage out of it. If not it's just a question of Platformers or Adventure games

finalark

SNORLAX
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Kart 64
  • Ocarina of Time
What game should I get?
Honestly, Mario Kart 64 really hasn't aged all that well. Mario 64 is worth playing, but I'd say go for OoT. It holds up the best out of all of them.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Kart 64
  • Ocarina of Time
What game should I get?
Ocarina. Get Ocarina. Nao. Mario 64 is okay, but it hasn't held up nearly as well as most people think.

Ocarina's finally starting to show some age too, but it took about 14 years to do it.

_gold_

Smash Master
Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of playing a LoZ game. I've heard OoT is a good place to start, but never got around to purchasing it. I think I finally shall though.

finalark

SNORLAX
Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of playing a LoZ game. I've heard OoT is a good place to start, but never got around to purchasing it. I think I finally shall though.
Honestly, any of the LoZ games are a good starting point. I'd say play the one that appeals the most to you.

Really? Why's that?
3DS version has new features, updated graphics and it irons out a lot of the more dated elements.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Really? Why's that?
There's the better visuals of course, gyro controls which make aiming much, much easier. The bottom screen constantly displaying a map and being able to easily switch out items on the fly plus the extra item spaces. There's also a few changes that make the game less annoying in some places, for example the water temple has markings to guide you somewhat rather than the old one which was just a mess. Overall it's just a lot more intuitive and it's easily the best version of the game.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Honestly, any of the LoZ games are a good starting point. I'd say play the one that appeals the most to you.

3DS version has new features, updated graphics and it irons out a lot of the more dated elements.
Honestly, I prefer the v1.0 N64 release, preferably with one of the many available texture hacks applied. This does require using a video plugin only compatible with an old version of Project 64 (v1.6, to be exact), but it works just fine with everything I've ever tried to play. The 3DS version's faces are kinda creepy, to me. It tried to mix a slightly anime facial design with the realistic graphics of the N64 version, and the result is Uncanny Valley. Navi is also way more annoying, talking to you incessantly and breaking the fourth wall to demand that you take a break.

Of course, the only reasons to buy the v1.0 version are the funny glitches and the lack of censorship. The glitches won't activate unless you're trying to do them, so you don't need to worry about them going off when you're just trying to play the game. In later versions of the game, Ganondorf's blood was changed to green, the Gerudo symbol was changed, and the Fire Temple chant was removed, among other minor differences. I can't stand the N64 controller, so I usually hook my GC adapter from Smash 4 into my USB port and boot up a high-res hacked version of the game. It plays the same as on my TV. Better, in fact, because the graphics are better and I get to use my HD monitor instead of a fuzzy CRT. If you hate emulation and puppies, you could always get either one of the Gamecube versions (technically those are emulated too, but whatever. Better controller, at least.). One comes with Majora's Mask and Zelda 1+2 (which I don't think held up very well at all) and the other comes with a non-flipped Master Quest (the 3DS Master Quest flips the whole game left-right. This only really serves to annoy people familiar with the game, we know where everything on the overworld is already). Master Quest being a redesign of the dungeons to make them harder.

If you like Ocarina (or even if you don't), also check out A Link to the Past on SNES, Link's Awakening/DX on GB/C, and Oracle of Ages on GBC. Wind Waker is also excellent. Most of the others are really good too, but OoT, ALttP, LA, OoA, and WW are the best by far.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
@ Iceweasel Iceweasel Well, yeah. There are plenty of reasons to like 1.0 N64 OoT over the re-releases. But things like texture packs and hunting down a gold/early gray copy of the N64 version to play it uncensored (I'm not going to go into emulation here since its controversial and illegal) is more for hardcore fans who have already a million play throughs of OoT and want to find new aspects of the game to enjoy.

Since all @ _gold_ _gold_ wants to try and get into the series its way better to recommend the most accessible version of the game.

On that note, if the 3DS version is too expensive getting a digital copy of the N64 version off the E Shop is always an option.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Not if you dump your own ROMs.

But yeah, legit Ocarina N64 carts, especially of v1.0, can be hard to track down, especially at a reasonable price. And, due to the age of the game, you may have to mess around with save batteries, and if you do need to you'll need a special screwdriver you can only buy online. If you want the least hassle, find one of the Gamecube re-releases. If you want the best experience, PJ64 and texture hacks, don't forget to download the PC driver for the GC>Wii U adapter.

If anyone tells you to use a pen and lighter instead of the correct screwdriver, IGNORE THEM. I can no longer fix one of my Gamecubes thanks to trying the pen trick. There is melted pen all over a screw I have to remove to open the console, and I can't get it off without taking a Dremel to the console's case.

I must disagree that Ocarina's texture hacks (or mods in general) are only for when you've played the game a billion times. Every time I install an old PC game, especially if it's my first time playing, I look up code patches and texture hacks online as soon as I can get the base game up and running. A little updating rarely hurts. I'm going through Morrowind now, and just looking through the Morrowind Code Patch options makes me wonder how gamers could have put up with that awful coding in 2003. Without New Vision, you can barely even see what's going on in the original Deus Ex. While this isn't really a problem in Ocarina, it's not too hard to figure out how to do it. It's just a little extra work configuring plugins and putting everything in the correct folders.

Tangent: Did you know Mudlord's plugin can also be used to enable wireframe mode? I played the Forest Temple that way two months ago, and it's AWESOME. I should really do a full playthrough in wireframe mode. It does show you where all of the hiding enemies are, but I've memorized their locations anyways.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Just being able to put up with Morrowind's gameplay in 2015 in an accomplishment.

Personally, I see things like mods and hacks as extra ways to enjoy the game after you've gotten your mileage out of the original version. I'd rather play the game unaltered so I can enjoy it as the developers intended. But hey, to each his own.

And I don't know jack **** about modding anyway. I am not PC gamer master race enough for that and I'm not really all that interested in learning.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Im debating about getting Captain Toad on Wii U or get a 3ds game like one of the new Loz games. All look fun but cant decide.:(

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Im debating about getting Captain Toad on Wii U or get a 3ds game like one of the new Loz games. All look fun but cant decide.:(
A Link Between Worlds is amazing, by far the best handheld Zelda since Oracle of Ages on GBC, if not Link's Awakening on the OG Game Boy. Triforce Heroes looks like it might be okay, but it seems to me that Nintendo wanted to make a Four Swords game without making a Four Swords game, which kinda turned me off.

Haven't played Captain Toad. I didn't like his levels in SM3DW, but to each their own.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'd go with A link between world if I were you, Captain Toad is pretty short and gets a little boring after a few levels. If you do get captain toad make sure to play it in short spurts

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
I'm thinking about preordering Legend of Legacy, but it's not out yet and I haven't been able to find much info on it at all. It looks similar to Bravely Default, though the battles seem more like a standard turn based RPG without the Default/Brave mechanic. Anyone here know anything about the game?

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Should I get Pokemon Alpha Sapphire? The thing is, I want it but I'm worried that the next Pokemon game will be coming out soon. Should I get Alpha Sapphire or wait for the next game in the series?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Should I get Pokemon Alpha Sapphire? The thing is, I want it but I'm worried that the next Pokemon game will be coming out soon. Should I get Alpha Sapphire or wait for the next game in the series?
I'd go for it, the next pokemon game won't be coming until at least spring of 2016 at the very least

finalark

SNORLAX
We haven't even head anything about what's coming after ORAS and the games have been out and the games have been out for almost a year. There's been a rumor floating around about a Yellow remake but there's no substance to it as far as I know. I'd say go for it. I can guarantee that you'll probably beat the game with plenty of time left to explore end game content well before the next Pokemon game is even announced.

IataK

Smash Rookie

If you can find it at a somewhat-reasonable price (read:50-70 bones), get it. I'd definitely say I got $90 worth of enjoyment out of Xenoblade, but I don't think I'd actually pay $90 for it. Europe is releasing it on Wii U Eshop for 20 euro, NoA hasn't commented yet (meaning they hate money). Aside from that, there are always, *ahem* less legal methods of playing rare and expensive games, and the Wii is one of the easiest consoles to do it on. You don't need a modchip or anything, just a set of instructions and the right software packages. A smattering of Spanish helps too, because some of the software isn't written in English. Make sure to get the right set of instructions, because if you get the wrong ones it won't work. As always, make sure you use BootMii to back everything up before installing cIOSes.

When you do manage to get everything working, you'll have to launch some or all of your games from a region-free loader called GeckoOS. Some games force updates to certain parts of the software when you launch the disk, and Gecko prevents that if you check the "Skip update partition" option. There's little to no benefit to the user for these updates, and only a tiny fraction of games require these updated bits of software. It's only to prevent you from doing things like this, in which case... Fair enough, I guess, but we still want to do these things and can find ways around the measure implemented against them.

To get started with Wii modding, go to wiibrew.org and read a little. It's strictly an above-the-table site, so you won't find anybody willing to direct you to the less legal end of the modding community. However, it will get you started on the legal end and give you enough of a working knowledge to understand the installation instructions to stuff like USBLoader and Neogamma.
I am using GNU/Linux right now and here's what I'd recommend if you ever want to game on GNU/Linux.
1: Dual boot: Run both Windows and GNU/Linux on different partitions.
Notes: Requires you to give part of your hard-drive to GNU/Linux and part of it to Windows.
1: VGA Passthrough: Run GNU/Linux on your machine and Windows in a VM at about 97% speed.
Notes: Requires GNU/Linux to run off of the internal graphics of your CPU and the Windows VM uses your main GPU. Requires that your hardware is compatible (not all hardware is).

Last edited:

UpgradeX

Smash Cadet
Mad Max or Metal Gear Solid? I found Mad Max for half the price so its tempting.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Mad Max or Metal Gear Solid? I found Mad Max for half the price so its tempting.
I haven't played either, but wasn't the Mad Max game released a couple of weeks ago? To see one for so cheap this early sets off alarm bells in my head. It could be great, but licensed games usually aren't.

The new Metal Gear game is full of microtransactions, and I advise everybody against supporting this nonsense. No, it's not enough if you just don't pay for those - Microtransactions have a huge profit margin. They're very cheap (practically free) to implement, have almost no operating cost, and make a lot of money, so if you want to discourage them you have to simply not buy any game that has them.

Or at least, not new. Everybody has a backlog, take a few games out of yours and get MGS5 used in a few months.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Soul Sacrifice Delta or Ragnarok O? I have 11$ on PSN. Also, my cards keep gettting rejected...why is this?

finalark

SNORLAX
Is Wild Arms any good? I remember seeing it around years and years ago and I've always kinda had a passive interest in it but I never got around to giving any of the games a shot. The first one is on sale on PS1 but before I add it to my back log I want to know if it's even worth playing in the first place.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Hyrule Warriors or Bayonetta? i'm familar with the Warriors series,but never played Bayonetta(Zelda in warriors fashion sounds tempting)

also,Resident Evil 4,or Metal Gear Rising? I haven't played either,but they are both 20 bucks on psn,and i've heard really nice things about em.(haven't played the series before either)

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Hyrule Warriors or Bayonetta? i'm familar with the Warriors series,but never played Bayonetta(Zelda in warriors fashion sounds tempting)

also,Resident Evil 4,or Metal Gear Rising? I haven't played either,but they are both 20 bucks on psn,and i've heard really nice things about em.(haven't played the series before either)
Bayonetta. It's a lot more fun, and you get two games (1+2) for the same price as a single game.

(I liked 1 more than 2, but if you haven't played either, GET BAYONETTA).

finalark

SNORLAX
If you like Warriors and Zelda then you're going to get exactly what you're looking for out of Hyrule Warriors. It's literally a Warriors game with a LoZ skin.

But Bayonetta is one of the best beat 'em ups in years and Bayo2 comes with the definitive version of Bayo1 and it's fantastic sequel. Both games are an incredible amount of fun and are some of the best games on the Wii U IMO. If you've played Devil May Cry it's akin to that, being made by the same guy and all.

Apples to oranges. Personally, I'd recommend Resi4 over MGR. MGR has some funny and quotable cut scenes which makes it a great rental if you have a group of buddies to share in the ridiculousness but the generally average and forgettable game play makes it really not worth keeping around IMO.

Resi4 comes off as bit clunky and dated these days, but is still a ton of fun if you're willing to forgive that. Admittedly it's much more akin to a shooter than it is a classical horror game but that's not necessarily a bad thing. While exploration might not be the focus and the puzzles are few the core game play is tactical and promotes fighting smart rather than just filling everything with bullets. Plus its just a solid fun game all around.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
I want to pick up some new fighting game(s). I obviously love Smash, but, I was thinking something more traditional. I was thinking about buying a Dreamcast since that console has some great arcade ports. I'm leaning towards the 2D 5/6th gen fighting games in general, since they look so gorgeous and are often said to be the best of their series. Things like SF3S, MvC2, KoF99 seem really interesting.
I'm a fan of Guilty Gear though I feel like SF might be a series worth dipping my toes in. I've seen a bunch of smashers playing and liking SF so maybe there's some connection there? Footsies seem exciting for some reason. What would you people recommend I get?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I want to pick up some new fighting game(s). I obviously love Smash, but, I was thinking something more traditional. I was thinking about buying a Dreamcast since that console has some great arcade ports. I'm leaning towards the 2D 5/6th gen fighting games in general, since they look so gorgeous and are often said to be the best of their series. Things like SF3S, MvC2, KoF99 seem really interesting.
I'm a fan of Guilty Gear though I feel like SF might be a series worth dipping my toes in. I've seen a bunch of smashers playing and liking SF so maybe there's some connection there? Footsies seem exciting for some reason. What would you people recommend I get?
Well, the competitive community for practically any old fighting game is nonexistent. The fanbase all moved on to whatever the latest installment is, or moved to a different series if too long has passed since the last release.

If you're okay with that, I highly recommend the GC version of Soul Calibur 2. I had countless hours of fun with my friends. I remember practiced nothing but parries, almost 10 hours a day, every day, for almost a month. At the next meetup (these were all-day affairs, mind you), I could count the parries I missed on one hand. The salt was absolutely real.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
I already own SCII for the GC since release and it's a damn fun game, but I'm not really interested in 3D fighters.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm looking to expand my Vita library, and as cheap as possible. Basically FFX made me realize the system isn't bad at all, and I do enjoy trophy hunting. I've got Terrarria, FFX-2, and Ninja Gaiden to play. The issue is, however, FFX burnt me out to bad to do FFX-2 at the moment, and I recently went on a Terrarria/Minecraft bender on PC. As for Ninja Gaiden, eh I'll pass at the moment.

So back to what game should I get, erm... I'm down for any genre. I love trophy hunting, and I'd prefer the trophies to not be ridiculous to obtain. (That's another reason Gaiden isn't so tempting). :D

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon?
Getting the wii u tomorrow,and the bundles are looking nice,but can't decide what to get.

Top Bottom