• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

finalark

SNORLAX
I want to pick up some new fighting game(s). I obviously love Smash, but, I was thinking something more traditional. I was thinking about buying a Dreamcast since that console has some great arcade ports. I'm leaning towards the 2D 5/6th gen fighting games in general, since they look so gorgeous and are often said to be the best of their series. Things like SF3S, MvC2, KoF99 seem really interesting.
I'm a fan of Guilty Gear though I feel like SF might be a series worth dipping my toes in. I've seen a bunch of smashers playing and liking SF so maybe there's some connection there? Footsies seem exciting for some reason. What would you people recommend I get?
Unless you have a few hundred dollars to spend don't get a DC for it's fighters. Besides, while MvC2 and SF3 are fun, their DC versions (along with most DC fighters) feel stripped compared to newer games and their respective HD ports.

If you've never played SF and you like traditional fighters I'd highly recommend it. It's the godfather of the genre and even though countless other games have reinvented it's game play over and over again it still stands as one of the best series in the fighting game genre. I will warn that if you're into Guilty Gear of other "anime" fighters SF might not be what you're looking for. It's comparatively slower and not all that flashy. It' still a ton of fun, especially if you have some like minded individuals to play it with.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
I'm not too worried about speed or flashiness. I just want a solid 2D fighting game. In fact, I've gotten pretty bored with playing BlazBlue because it feels like there is simply too much stuff going on and it doesn't feel like it has any real impact. I know this is kind of what MvC2 is, but I liked that game nonetheless. Kind of hard to explain perhaps, but maybe a slower, more methodical game is what I actually want?
SF3S:OE is available on PSN. I've heard it's a great port, so I might pick that one up.

Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon?
In my opinion Splatoon is the better game if only for its creativity and online play. I've had a ton of fun playing Splatoon and the recent updates are neat additions. I kind of feel bad for those who bought it at launch because there were some lacking features that are now added. They're both good games, so you can't really go wrong with either, but my vote goes to Splatoon unless you like having friends over a lot, in which case MK8 is the way to go.

Last edited:

Halcus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aircalibre
:ness:I've been considering getting one of those games. Those of you who've played Bayonetta would you reccomend it? And those of you who are hype for X would you reccomend I wait for it instead of Bayonetta. Thank for the help.

finalark

SNORLAX
Fatal Frame V is coming out next month and I want to try one of the other games before I buy it. The first three games are on PSN and while I hear II is good I'm curious to which one of the first three is the best to start on. Can anyone give me a fair comparison between the three games?

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
:ness:I've been considering getting one of those games. Those of you who've played Bayonetta would you reccomend it? And those of you who are hype for X would you reccomend I wait for it instead of Bayonetta. Thank for the help.
Moved to the What game should I get thread.

I really enjoyed Bayonetta. Great game if you like action. Also has a lot of replay value depending how much you enjoy getting better ranks or just making use of all the stuff Bayonetta can do in that game. If you like it, there's always the sequel too. Not sure if the Wii U still offers the demo for the 2nd game, but it's worth checking out.

X, I'm sort of in the dark right now. I was hyped for it, but I'm sort of avoiding footage right now. A lot of us haven't played X, so it'd be tough to suggest it over a game I've already played with one I didn't.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Hard to say. Bayonetta is an amazing game at an amazing price, but at the same time I'm unbelievably hyped for Xenoblade X. I don't think I've been this hyped but for maybe one or two other games, ever. If you can afford it, get both. If you can't.... I don't know. This doesn't seem like a choice anyone should be forced to make. Your profile says you're 13, so maybe buy Bayo now and ask for XBX as a gift.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Is Mario Tennis 64 worth buying for $10 on the eShop, even if I already have Open? I have Mario Tennis Open and while I enjoyed it, I want to give the 64 version a shot. Does the N64 version have anything different than the 3DS one?

So, I'm getting PS4 and two games for Christmas. I've already decided to get Shovel Knight, but I'm unsure about the other one. I've been considering Batman: Arkham Knight, but I'm unfamiliar with the franchise, as I haven't played the previous games of the series.

Is Batman: Arkham Knight worth getting, and is it a hard game? I'm asking this because I often give up playing if the game is bad or too hard.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
So, I'm getting PS4 and two games for Christmas. I've already decided to get Shovel Knight, but I'm unsure about the other one. I've been considering Batman: Arkham Knight, but I'm unfamiliar with the franchise, as I haven't played the previous games of the series.

Is Batman: Arkham Knight worth getting, and is it a hard game? I'm asking this because I often give up playing if the game is bad or too hard.
I played the first one and was rather unimpressed. It's pretty, sure, but it's a poor man's beat-em-up. Literally all you have to do to win every fight is point the left stick at what you want to hit and press square, and occasionally hide from gun-toting mooks.

It might be fine for a casual like you, though.

finalark

SNORLAX
The first game is a Metroidvania with beat-'em'-up combat and stealth segments. I use the word "stealth" loosely since these segments aren't about hiding from enemies as much as they are about strategically taking them down one by one without being spotted. I thought it was a pretty damn good game.

The later games drop the Metroidvania for open world, which I don't really agree with but they're still good. If you have a PS360 the first two games are dirty cheap now and if you're interested in the series I highly recommend checking them out.

Don't play Origins, though. It sucks.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
So I'm finally getting a Wii U this week, but I'm not sure which to get. Deciding between the WW HD refurbished one from the Nintendo online store and the Smash Splat Bundle on black friday. The thing is, I don't like digital copies as much (I'd only put up with WW HD cuz limited edition, something I've never had before), and Smash will be $35 at Best Buy while Splatoon will be $25 at Walmart. I was originally gonna go for the refurbished system plus Smash from Best buy and Splatoon from Walmart so I could get the physical copies, but would it be a better decision to get the Smash Splat bundle due to how much money it saves?

I heard Nintendo's refurbished systems are better than their new ones due to how much more care they put into them but I really don't know how true that is or how you could tell.

finalark

SNORLAX
Get the Splatoon/Smash bundle. I'd take a physical copy over a digital any day but that price is just too damn good to pass up.

TBH WWHD isn't really worth getting if you still have the GCN version.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Get the Splatoon/Smash bundle. I'd take a physical copy over a digital any day but that price is just too damn good to pass up.

TBH WWHD isn't really worth getting if you still have the GCN version.
That's true and it would make my decision easier, but I don't have the GCN version. I miss out on it :/

I actually read somewhere that as a result of Smash4/Splatoon, half of the Wii U's hard drive space is already taken up...

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
I'm about to get a 3DS. Should I get Fire Emblem Awakening or Bravely Default first? I plan on getting both eventually but which would be a good one to start with?

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
I'm about to get a 3DS. Should I get Fire Emblem Awakening or Bravely Default first? I plan on getting both eventually but which would be a good one to start with?
I love both games. However, I would probably start with Fire Emblem Awakening, as Bravely Default might... frustrate you later on.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
I've heard that Bravely Default can get a bit crazy with some of the bosses haha. I think I will get Awakening then, since Fates will be out in February. Thanks for the opinions!

thisisdredre

Smash Rookie
NNID
thisisdredre
3DS FC
2552-1386-9664
More people should play Off. Earthbound-esqe JRPG for the PC that has a very unique premise and setting. Can't recommend it enough. Did I mention it's free too?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Is Ultra Street Fighter IV worth $10 on steam? I know how the games work (I have SSFIV) but I'm mainly concerned if the game runs well and has a good community on the PC version.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Is Ultra Street Fighter IV worth $10 on steam? I know how the games work (I have SSFIV) but I'm mainly concerned if the game runs well and has a good community on the PC version.
It's probably going to be abandoned when SF5 releases. That's usually how things work in the FGC.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
I'm looking for a good story driven rpg/srpg for the 3DS. Is stella glow good or should I look somewhere else?

Grandma Wilkins

Smash Cadet
I'm looking for any type of rpg for 360 or Wii U. I don't like games like Fallout, Witcher, Dragon Age, etc. Also, anything more anime that Xenoblade X (Fantastic game, by the way) makes me automatically vomit. Any suggestions? Wii or gamecube games that don't cost a trillion dollars (*cough* original Xenoblade *cough*) work too.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
I'm looking for any type of rpg for 360 or Wii U. I don't like games like Fallout, Witcher, Dragon Age, etc. Also, anything more anime that Xenoblade X (Fantastic game, by the way) makes me automatically vomit. Any suggestions? Wii or gamecube games that don't cost a trillion dollars (*cough* original Xenoblade *cough*) work too.
I was going to mention the Tales of series, but then you mentioned anything more anime than Xenoblade X would make you vomit, so I don't really have any other suggestions. Sorry :/

Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhat obscure online multiplayer games I can play with friends on PS3? Doesn't have to be obscure I guess, but my friends and I are looking for some hidden gems that have a good online multiplayer component so we can play together.

SurrealBrain

Smash Cadet
I'm saving money in my PayPal account to nab a Japanese PS2. Figured I'd like to play some import games, from obvious ones like Puyo Puyo (mostly the PS1 installmesnts; backwards compatibility does exist, if it's like the American PS2s) to ones like Ape Escape: Million Monkeys I've been wanting to play for years.

If not for the HD remasters using them as the basis for porting and getting international releases, I'd also consider the Kingdom Hearts Final Mixes and the Final Fantasy X International versions, but as things stand, I really don't see the sense in importing them now, especially when I own some of them.

And before you ask, I looked into circumventing the region lock on my American PS2; mine's a slim, so I'm not sure a method exists...and even what I found for older models made my head spin, and probably involves tearing the thing apart, so I decided I'd rather not fight with it. I'll get a different color so I can tell the two apart easier.

Anything else I should at least put on my list?

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
My birthday is coming up next month (on the first Wednesday) and my family want to know what I want.

A hidden rule when it come to me getting gifts is that I can only ask for one expensive gift and the rest being relevantly cheap stuff. Now, what game should I get? Splatoon, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash or Mario and Luigi Paper Jam?

I used to own Splatoon but I sold it because I thought the game was extremely unbalanced but the recent patch seem to fix major problems I used to have with the game. I really like playing Tennis IRL so does my friend so that pretty much why I want Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (I don't really care about the lack of content). Finally, I heard some super positive things about Paper Jam and I do need some more 3DS games.

I know these games I'm asking about are extremely different but I literally can't choose.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
My birthday is coming up next month (on the first Wednesday) and my family want to know what I want.

A hidden rule when it come to me getting gifts is that I can only ask for one expensive gift and the rest being relevantly cheap stuff. Now, what game should I get? Splatoon, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash or Mario and Luigi Paper Jam?

I used to own Splatoon but I sold it because I thought the game was extremely unbalanced but the recent patch seem to fix major problems I used to have with the game. I really like playing Tennis IRL so does my friend so that pretty much why I want Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (I don't really care about the lack of content). Finally, I heard some super positive things about Paper Jam and I do need some more 3DS games.

I know these games I'm asking about are extremely different but I literally can't choose.
Aw man I wish I read this earlier because by now you've probably made a choice. It's probably too late but I'll share my opinions on them.

Splatoon: Really fun but you probably already know that. If you think the recent patches make the game better you should try playing it again.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash: I wouldn't recommend it, not just because of the lackluster content, but the gimmicky mega mushrooms and eh-ish gameplay (I'm pretty sure the annoying powershots from the 3DS version are still there which makes the game feel less tennis-like). For $10 you can get the much better Mario Tennis 64 on VC.

Paper Jam: I've only gotten to the desert world, but so far I like it. The Toad catching minigames get a bit repetitive, and I heard the story doesn't get much bigger than "two Bowser's kidnap two Peaches," but I find the gameplay to be fun. Keep in mind that I have not played Bowser's Inside Story or Dream Team (I have played the first two M&L games though). Also remember that it's more of a M&L game and not really much of a Paper Mario one.

Short version: Get Splatoon if you are certain you'll be playing it for a long time, give Paper Jam a shot afterwards, and ignore Ultra Smash.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
I've never played a fire emblem game and I want to know if i should get fates or awakening

ThatSmasherYouKnow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
link12014
3DS FC
3883-6073-2419
I've never played a fire emblem game and I want to know if i should get fates or awakening
If you've never played a fire emblem game before, I would recommend either Awakening of Birthright. Conquest is frickin hard so wait until you're more experienced.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Yup. Like these two said. Awakening and Fates are good starts that I'd recommend to someone wanting to get into the series. Blazing Sword and Path of Radiance if you're able to get them.

That being said, would someone recommend Xenoblade for the 3DS? I'm replaying Xenosaga 3 and I've forgot how much of a great game that was, and I've been hearing ALOT of good things about the Xenoblade series.

ThatSmasherYouKnow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
link12014
3DS FC
3883-6073-2419
Xenoblade is amazing, get it as soon as you can. I played it on the wii, but it's a lot more expensive on the wii so 3ds is fine. You will not regret it.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
If you've never played a fire emblem game before, I would recommend either Awakening of Birthright. Conquest is frickin hard so wait until you're more experienced.
Awakening's had a few questionable translations, but it's impressive how much NoA just didn't care with If. There's a support conversation that was literally rendered almost entirely as ellipses. "*growl noises* is dragon for "I love you"" is another infamous example.
large image

That being said, would someone recommend Xenoblade for the 3DS? I'm replaying Xenosaga 3 and I've forgot how much of a great game that was, and I've been hearing ALOT of good things about the Xenoblade series.
I haven't played XBC3D, but I can't think of playing XBC on anything but an actual TV screen. The spectacle is too grand, I can't see that tiny little screen doing the game justice. Get the Wii version, it's worth it. If you have a good computer, use your Wii to make a backup and play it on Dolphin at 1080p.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Xenoblade is amazing, get it as soon as you can. I played it on the wii, but it's a lot more expensive on the wii so 3ds is fine. You will not regret it.
Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii is slightly above $40 on Amazon, and I believe for n3DS it's $40 not including tax? They're about the same price, used to be really expensive though. I can't speak for the quality of the n3DS version unfortunately but the Wii version is awesome.

I'd also go with Birthright, Awakening, or Blazing Sword as people already mentioned. Any of those are great places to get into the FE series.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Hm... Just as people have been saying, Xenoblade is a game that's top tier material good. I'll settle with the 3DS since I won't imagine myself buying a Wii / Wii U (i understand there are two games of each console so...) soon, but I'll look into that to. I've been wanting to follow Monolith Soft, and Xenoblade especially seems something that's worth a try alongside Xenogears while waiting for Persona 5 and Tales of Berseria to release.

Anyways, thanks you three for the recommendation. I'll definitely keep tabs of Xenoblade and get it when I'm able to.

Top Bottom