• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Should I Get?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Which game do you think would be better to get: Paper Mario (N64) or Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time? The only Paper Mario game I played was Sticker Star and I didn't like it that much. I did play M&L: Superstar Saga and I liked it for the most part. The reason I can't choose which one is because I hear that Paper Mario is much better than Sticker Star, while Partners in Time is apparently the weakest in the franchise. Are they worth getting on the Wii U virtual console and which one would be the better buy?

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
Which game do you think would be better to get: Paper Mario (N64) or Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time? The only Paper Mario game I played was Sticker Star and I didn't like it that much. I did play M&L: Superstar Saga and I liked it for the most part. The reason I can't choose which one is because I hear that Paper Mario is much better than Sticker Star, while Partners in Time is apparently the weakest in the franchise. Are they worth getting on the Wii U virtual console and which one would be the better buy?
Both totally worth getting, but I would recommend Paper Mario 64. It's got a stronger art direction/production, better music, and it's a deeper feeling game with more to explore.

Might need someone to back up what I say though since it might be the nostalgia talking. Paper Mario 64 just feels like a joy to play and seems more substantial.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Shin Megami Tense IV
I've never really been interested in the series, but I'll look into it.
I believe you may have every 3DS game ever made.
Lol yup, thought I had every 3DS game worth getting, but wanted to make sure.
SMT IV
Persona Q
Pushmo and its sequels
Luigi's Mansion
Tons of Sega 3D Classics and Virtual Console games.
Luigi's Mansion looks alright, but I hear there's a lot of backtracking, which I'm not fond of in games.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've never really been interested in the series, but I'll look into it.
SMTIV is really good, but the difficulty at the beginning of the game can be a real turn off, especially if you're not ready for it. It's still a fantastic RPG, but the rough first few hours is something you should be aware of.

Also, SMT tends to be more game play driven than story driven, so keep that in mind before you give the game a go.

Luigi's Mansion looks alright, but I hear there's a lot of backtracking, which I'm not fond of in games.
Then you should probably avoid most adventure games.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I would absolutely get Paper Mario first. It's way, way better than Sticker Star (inasmuch as it's actually an RPG with experience, party members, etc). It's an absolute classic. You can't miss with that one.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's also worth adding that Sticker Star was hardly anything like the glorious first three games. Don't base your expectations on Sticker Star, the other games are very different.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
SMTIV is really good, but the difficulty at the beginning of the game can be a real turn off, especially if you're not ready for it. It's still a fantastic RPG, but the rough first few hours is something you should be aware of.

Also, SMT tends to be more game play driven than story driven, so keep that in mind before you give the game a go.

Then you should probably avoid most adventure games.
Yeah, but reviewers actually made a point about how annoying the backtracking is in Dark Moon :p

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Lack of save points or checkpoints is what turned me off of Dark Moon, which is a shame, because that game had a lot of character and attention to detail.

Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter are pretty good timesinks, if you're looking to play a little bit each day. Theatrhythm is a really awesome rhythm game if you like Final Fantasy music at all, and Curtain Call has more content than the first. I don't know if these are good suggestions if you don't like backtracking/replaying segments, but I also really enjoyed Resident Evil Revelations and Virtue's Last Reward (the latter which is better enjoyed by previously playing 999).

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a simple, online computer game that focuses on co-op / team-building. I would prefer if it's a free online game, as I'm planning to use it as a work exercise for new employees at my department.

I was thinking of something along the lines of the Swedish Armed Forces game. However, the game seems to have been taken down:
http://jobb.forsvarsmakten.se/sv/kampanj/avslutad-kampanj/#/private/dtbNkLu1p5

For those who aren't familiar with the Swedish Armed Forces game, I'm looking for something like this:
https://youtu.be/xC9AD-ERlpU

Something that reinforces co-op and team building, basically.

finalark

SNORLAX
A nearby game store has a lot of the Professor Layton games. I've always been interested in trying the series, so I'm curious to know which one is the best to start with.

And yes, I do own a 3DS so I can play the 3DS ones too.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
A nearby game store has a lot of the Professor Layton games. I've always been interested in trying the series, so I'm curious to know which one is the best to start with.

You can't go wrong with any of them, all equally as good. Though if graphics are very important to you perhaps the most recent ones would be the best place to start.

My opinion is biased toward the originals since I don't really like the 3D stuff on the 3DS. Doesn't hurt that the originals are cheaper now as well, I'd personally go in order if I was a Layton virgin.

Last edited:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer

I'd say start with the second or third one.

Curious Village has some very unintuitive and repetitive puzzles, and odds are, you will get stuck at some point and it tends to be a bit of a slog to get through. Diabolicial Box is a little better, and pretty enjoyable with a cute story. Unwound Future has the best story imo, and some of the best puzzles in the series. Last Specter is good, but the ending is a bit of a letdown imo. The 3DS ones are okay, but they are more of the same with THREE DEE.

Personally, I think Unwound Future was the pinnacle of the series, so maybe start with Diabolical Box, and go from there. See where it takes you.

zaiman12345

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theawesome4567
Can anyone tell me which game in the AA series to get?
I already have The 3DS trilogy, (beat the first game in a week, get rekt.) Also not Dual Destinies, Don't care much for M games.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Dual Destinies is still pretty good and totally worth playing.

I don't know, if you haven't played any of them before, I would say get all of them. They're all solid, even Apollo Justice, which is probably the weakest of the series.

zaiman12345

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theawesome4567
I was looking at DD. Why is it even M? I know, the bombing, but still!!!
Dual Destinies is still pretty good and totally worth playing.

I don't know, if you haven't played any of them before, I would say get all of them. They're all solid, even Apollo Justice, which is probably the weakest of the series.
I'll probably get Gyakuten Kengi (Miles Edgeworth) first. It looks a little harder to beat than the first PWAA game. (finished in a week) I'll get DD later. But before DD, I'll get PLvsPW.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I haven't played any AA games, but if you don't dig M rated games because gore makes you squeamish you can always go on the ESRB's website to get an in-depth reason for why a game is rated what it is.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer

I'll probably get Gyakuten Kengi (Miles Edgeworth) first. It looks a little harder to beat than the first PWAA game. (finished in a week) I'll get DD later. But before DD, I'll get PLvsPW.
There's definitely more blood in DD, plus a mention of bondage and crossdressing if I remember correctly. Plus a few other things that I won't get into for spoiler reasons. However, I think the only reason that it is rated M is because it is for a Nintendo console, so take that as you will. You know you own tolerances best!

PLvsPW isn't very Ace Attorney, and I can't really recommend it as being good or fun unless you are a fan of both series.

zaiman12345

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theawesome4567
I haven't played any AA games, but if you don't dig M rated games because gore makes you squeamish you can always go on the ESRB's website to get an in-depth reason for why a game is rated what it is.
The reasons they gave for the rating were that the game contains “violence, blood, suggestive themes and language.”

Fair enough, you might think.

But then they also rated the first game as suitable for teens, citing the reason as “violence, blood, suggestive themes and language.”

EXACT same reason, two different ratings.

They've been giving out far higher ratings across the board recently, I very much doubt this has anything to do with the game suddenly being more violent or controversial in its content
The reasons they gave for the rating were that the game contains “violence, blood, suggestive themes and language.”

Last edited:

zaiman12345

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theawesome4567
There's definitely more blood in DD, plus a mention of bondage and crossdressing if I remember correctly. Plus a few other things that I won't get into for spoiler reasons. However, I think the only reason that it is rated M is because it is for a Nintendo console, so take that as you will. You know you own tolerances best!

PLvsPW isn't very Ace Attorney, and I can't really recommend it as being good or fun unless you are a fan of both series.
Crossdressing? I DO THAT EVERY DAY, IN ACNL AND IN REAL LIFE!

AkumaKing

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking of getting a Wii U. Curious what games aside from what I plan to get are worth getting.
I already plan on getting Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, and Splatoon. I have no interest in Mario Kart. Any good games I should plan on getting aside from those?

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I'm thinking of getting a Wii U. Curious what games aside from what I plan to get are worth getting.
I already plan on getting Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, and Splatoon. I have no interest in Mario Kart. Any good games I should plan on getting aside from those?
Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 are the only other games on the Wii U. Both are very good, but W101 can be a bit hax at times.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Super Mario 3D World, DKC: Tropical Freeze and Pikmin 3 are really great too

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Bayonetta 2 and DKC Tropical Freeze are also really good. Although I will warn you, unless platformers are your jam, be very cautious when considering a Wii U purchase. A vast majority of the game's library is platformers and nothing else.

Oh yeah, and Super Luigi U is awesome and underrated.

AkumaKing

Smash Apprentice
So, from the replies I'm thinking I'll probably try eventually getting Bayoneta 2 (not sure how much I'll like it, but it looks cool) and either Super Mario 3D World or Super Luigi/Mario U. (I'm not a a huge Mario fan, but I do enjoy a good platformer every now and then). As for DKC, I kinda want to try it out, but I didn't enjoy the older DKC games, so I'm a bit on edge about putting forth time and money for it.

Thanks for the input.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Hey I'm looking for an action rpg to play on either my wii or ps3. I've been looking at games like Xenoblade and the Tales of series, but I can't find the former for a reasonable price and idk which game to get from the latter or if I should just wait for the upcoming one. Any suggestions or maybe other good action RPGs?

Btw I'm not really a fan of turn based rpgs.

finalark

SNORLAX
Hey I'm looking for an action rpg to play on either my wii or ps3. I've been looking at games like Xenoblade and the Tales of series, but I can't find the former for a reasonable price and idk which game to get from the latter or if I should just wait for the upcoming one. Any suggestions or maybe other good action RPGs?

In you're not into turn based then that slims your options. For PS3 there's Kingdom Hearts I and II, both games are very fun if a bit rough around the edges, KHI more-so than KHII. If yo uwant to check out Tales you can actually get Tales of Symphonia HD for pretty cheap. I got my copy new at GameStop for $20. I also recommend a little gem called Resonance of Fate. The battle system is a bit weird, but it's a pretty neat game if you're willing to work with some outside-the-box game play.

Of course, if you're looking for something a bit more western the Mass Effect trilogy is pretty fantastic and save for a somewhat weak third game is most certainly worth your time if you really want to get sucked into something.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
In you're not into turn based then that slims your options. For PS3 there's Kingdom Hearts I and II, both games are very fun if a bit rough around the edges, KHI more-so than KHII. If yo uwant to check out Tales you can actually get Tales of Symphonia HD for pretty cheap. I got my copy new at GameStop for $20. I also recommend a little gem called Resonance of Fate. The battle system is a bit weird, but it's a pretty neat game if you're willing to work with some outside-the-box game play.

Of course, if you're looking for something a bit more western the Mass Effect trilogy is pretty fantastic and save for a somewhat weak third game is most certainly worth your time if you really want to get sucked into something.
I'll look more into Kingdom Hearts. Why Tales of Symphonia and not the latest one?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

Check out the other two Rainfall games, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. I have no idea why these two games aren't talked about more, they're both absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I'll look more into Kingdom Hearts. Why Tales of Symphonia and not the latest one?
ToS is the only Tales game I've ever played, so I can't really speak about the newer games. Although from what I've heard ToS is the most accessable game in the series, plus its probably the cheapest one available.

EDIT: Although the real surprise here is that you like action RPGs but have never played KH.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
ToS is the only Tales game I've ever played, so I can't really speak about the newer games. Although from what I've heard ToS is the most accessable game in the series, plus its probably the cheapest one available.

EDIT: Although the real surprise here is that you like action RPGs but have never played KH.
I'm not sure why, but I didn't like how it looked for some reason. At least, KH and KH2. I also heard it's bad to start in the middle of the series otherwise it gets kinda confusing.

Check out the other two Rainfall games, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. I have no idea why these two games aren't talked about more, they're both absolutely brilliant.
I haven't heard of those games but I'll check them out.

Has anyone here ever played PokeMMO, Pokemon World Online, or other Pokemon MMOs? I've been wanting to play a good sprite based MMO recently but I haven't really found any because sprites don't seem to be all that popular. I have heard about the aforementioned Pokemon MMOs though, are they any good?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I'm not sure why, but I didn't like how it looked for some reason. At least, KH and KH2. I also heard it's bad to start in the middle of the series otherwise it gets kinda confusing.

I haven't heard of those games but I'll check them out.

Has anyone here ever played PokeMMO, Pokemon World Online, or other Pokemon MMOs? I've been wanting to play a good sprite based MMO recently but I haven't really found any because sprites don't seem to be all that popular. I have heard about the aforementioned Pokemon MMOs though, are they any good?
If you're European, there's gonna be a sale on Xenoblade. It's going up for 20 euro on the Wii U eshop. I think that's 40 USD, which is very expensive for a digital game, especially one that's over five years old. That said, Xenoblade is probably my second favorite RPG, and the tiny New 3DS screen can't and won't do it justice. It's a game that you need to see on a big screen. So, if you're looking for legal methods, this is probably the only way without shelling out the big bucks.

Xenoblade X hype!

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
If you're European, there's gonna be a sale on Xenoblade. It's going up for 20 euro on the Wii U eshop. I think that's 40 USD, which is very expensive for a digital game, especially one that's over five years old.
20 Euros is about the same as $21-22 USD, so it's not a whole lot.

KH's story is confusing no matter where you start. Even those of us who has been with it since the beginning have a hard time wrapping our heads around it, so I wouldn't even worry.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
20 Euros is about the same as $21-22 USD, so it's not a whole lot.
Well, that's not so bad, but it's usually more than I like to pay for digital games. Especially digital games on consoles.

What the hell happened to the euro? A few years ago it was nearly double the US dollar! I've heard about some **** going down in Greece, but that alone can hardly account for this drastic change in purchasing power.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, that's not so bad, but it's usually more than I like to pay for digital games. Especially digital games on consoles.

What the hell happened to the euro? A few years ago it was nearly double the US dollar! I've heard about some **** going down in Greece, but that alone can hardly account for this drastic change in purchasing power.
I'd gladly pay twenty bucks if the game is good enough, regardless of if its digital or not.

I know a lot of economics in theory from playing MMORPGs (lol) but I don't live in Europe so I haven't been privy to what might have killed the Euro.

I played PokeMMO a way while back. It was honestly pretty underwhelming due to just being Fire Red but with a million other people running around. There was no cooperative content of any kind, PVP was barely present and for how little everyone else affected your experience you might as well be playing a single player game. Plus the game requires certain files that are difficult to acquire these days, and it's honestly not worth the trouble.

I haven't heard of Pokemon World Online, though. I think I'll go look into that.

EDIT: Sunk a few hours into PWO last night. It's okay. It's certainly better than PokeMMO as it actually makes attempts to incorporate elements of MMORPG game play into the Pokemon formula. That being said, the game is certainly a work in progress. It's missing a ton of basic features and a lot of them are needlessly complicated by splitting them between the website and the game itself.

However, both game miss the point of MMORPGs -- Teaming up with like-minded players to accomplish a common goal. Like PokeMMO, there is zero cooperative content of any kind. Instead it still feels like my Fire Red playthrough got invaded by a bunch of other players since none of them have any meaningful impact on you. I'm still holding out for that one Pokemon MMORPG that gets it right. Focus less trying to awkwardly fit MMORPGisims into a single player game and focus more on how to take elements from Pokemon and fit them into an MMORPG.

Last edited:

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
I've really been thinking of playing Xenoblade Chronicles. Should I track down the Wii version and give it a go, or should I pursuit other games? (I don't own a New 3DS)

I've been looking for some good 3DS games, I recently picked up Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, it's pretty fun, but nothing special. Codename S.T.E.A.M. looks rather sluggish looking at some gameplay, but if it's actually alright, I'll think of playing it. Any suggestions?

finalark

SNORLAX
I've really been thinking of playing Xenoblade Chronicles. Should I track down the Wii version and give it a go, or should I pursuit other games? (I don't own a New 3DS)

I've been looking for some good 3DS games, I recently picked up Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, it's pretty fun, but nothing special. Codename S.T.E.A.M. looks rather sluggish looking at some gameplay, but if it's actually alright, I'll think of playing it. Any suggestions?
Xenoblade is a good game, but it is not worth the price tag. If you can find a way to borrow it from somebody then that's the optimal route. Otherwise, I'd say leave it alone until Nintendo rereleases it again or it becomes available digitally.

Code Name Steam is really underrated. It is slow, I'll give you that, but as a turn based strategy game its not meant to be frantic. It's a slow and meticulous game but its really, really fun if you don't mind the speed.

I don't know your taste in games, but going by your post I'm going to stick with RPGs and strategy games. Other good 3D games include Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default, LoZ: A Link Between Worlds, Shin Megami Tensei IV and Pokemon X/Y.

Top Bottom