• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does being a "technical" falco mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
yeah i was also wondering wat dat meant. i thought it meant your good at advance techs and stuff, but i'm not sure

there goes my perfect 300 posts

D1

Banned via Administration
Last time I heard ppl say that a real technical Falco is a Falco that just perfect when it comes to doin all the advanced sh** and so on but according to smash stereotypes anyone thats really technical usually lacks in the mindgame area...

>_>

big fat...stereotype.

There's plenty of technical Falcos that have the mindgames to take first or top 3 @ many tournies. Usually ppl sometimes equate technical w/ overly flashy as well...as far as I'm concerned.

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
This is kinda hard to answer seeing as how forward is the one asking the question. Basically a technical falco is a falco thats really technical and combo crazy. Perfect example, Bombsoldier. Insane comboing skill. Completely mstered every aspect of falco as a character.

A mindgame falco is a falco who has insane mindgames. Perfect example, PC. Crazy mindgames and a more cautious approach. This is why many people bring up the PC vs BS match up. Not just because they are the best in 2 different countries but because they have completely different styles that still manage to prevail.

Falcos that are well known for being technical:

BS
DaShizWiz
bam

Falcos that are mindgamers:

PC
forward
Dope

Falcos that are a mix:

Lambchops
Flowin
Zanguzen

Is that good enough? I was somewhat vague I think...

Miharu

Smash Hero
IMO, this is how people group Falcos into "technical" and "not-so-technical groupings":

Usage of multiple JC shines (this being the main one IMO)
Shine -> double jump bair
"Flashy/faster" playstyle
Very aggressive

But it really doesn't make too much sense to judge players like that.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah there really isn't a right answer to this.

To me a technical falco is one that mastered all of falco's advanced techs, e.g. rshl, double shine, shine to immediate aerial, double lasering, waveshining, pillaring, etc, nothing more.

That being said, I wouldn't classify shiz or bs to be anymore technical then say pc or forward. I think people fall under that assumption because of bs's or shiz's agressive playstyle; they seem to like to throw out one attack after another and try to overwhelm you like that so it makes them seem faster or more "technical."

All of the falco players that were listed in those groups are all "technical." They know and have practically perfected the advanced shit and are able to utililize it in battle almost flawlessly.

When it comes down to it, there are probably 100 falcos out there who play a "technical falco." But out of those 100, maybe only 10 who have great mindgames and are considered great falcos. To me, anyone can have a technical falco.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
technical skill is just that, the ability to perform techniques. all good falcos are technical. people who arent technical are just learning. im sure pc chris could do any combos shiz could come up with. theyre both technically skilled.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
A perfect example of technical Falco is Bombsoldier. Brute speed and force, honed to perfection. It's like overclocking your computer, except you're overclocking Falco.

quak

Smash Champion
i think technical is the opposing force of mindgames, nemesises if you will.

Technical is all with fingers, Mindgames is all with your head, in my opinion.

I doubt your going to get a straight, concrete answer to this question though.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I don't think technical has to do with what ever techniques you've mastered. After all, if you are looking to reach the upper echelon of players, you should leave no techinque relating to your character unmastered.

I think technical when I see BombSoldier. My reasoning would be it is on the opposite side of the spectrum from mindgames. A technical Falco is a very precise player, relying on rock solid foundations of the basic advanced techniques, very fast maneuvers, and a very aggresive play style. They take control of the match through force.

A mind game Falco, a common example stated would be PC Chris, is one who could very well have all the abilities of a technical falco player. They differ in that while both use comboes to achieve damage and victory, the mind game falco uses just that, more apparent mind games to gain control of the match. By forcing their opponent to do what they want they can begin comboing.

That's what I think. It's not your abilities or skills, it's just your play style.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Technical falco sounds like technical foul.Like if your realy good with it's unfair and you get a technical falco:chuckle:

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
yknow when shiz in his matches does infinite JC shines on the floor?

thats a technical falco.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
technical and mindgames are not opposing. they have nothing to do with each other. i think everyone agrees that pc chris has excellent technical skill. his style of mindgames is just a way to use his technical skill better.

forward

Smash Champion
The most common answer I've seen is technical falco's are aggressive falcos.........

So I guess technical falcos are falcos that play against people who have bad defense?

Zink

Smash Champion
I don't like the term, because it implies an opposition in pure falco skill (tech) and mindgaming. It just depends which one you're better at.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's rediculous to say that aggressive falcos are more technical. wtf?

again, anyone who say that shiz or bs are more technical than forward and pc are wrong. their playstyles may be different, but that has absolutely nothing to do with how technical they are.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Ok guys, technical Falco. Is a player, that can move extremely fast, being very agressive, with almost never messing up. Personally IMO P.C. is not Technical, his combos are good, his speed is descent, and his mindgames are off the chart. Forward on the other hand, he to me, I think we play almost the same and do almost the same combos, its just he does them slower IMO, I don't know if he can do JC'ed shines, but I think if he practiced it he could.

Technical: A Falco player(Or any char) that is very agressive, knows what they're doing, goes to the maximum speed of the character. *Example* doing JC'ed shines is a part of Flashyness and Techskill. When you do it effectively like breaking a shield, its technical, but when your doing it not around your opponent, thats just flashy. So to wrap up technicalness, if you can incorporate Falcos speed with Combos, fastness, agressiveness, and can link almost any hit into some type of combo, your really technical. For example, I have a brother(SmashMac) who plays falco, its a very fast falco, faster than most, but, its descent at comboing, and does random stuff. Technical is when your going really fast(Like I said earlier), know what your doing, and can combo awesomely even with your opponent DI'ing.

P.C. can move somewhat fast, but he really isn't that technical, and when I say Technical, once again, I mean being very agressive, fast, and goes pretty much the most capable speed the character can go.

Forward can move fast, he is smart. But he doesn't go the max speed of falco, or do insane combos. He is good at comboing, and has a unique falco, but the combos are good.

Bombsoldier, very agressive, fast, goes the characters maximum speed and knows what he's doing. IMO, he is smart, just not smart enough.

DaShizWiz(Me), very agressive, fast, goes the characters maximum speed and almost knows what he's doing most of the time. Smartness depends, it depends which character I'm fighting, If I'm fighting a Fox, or any fast faller, I try to overwhelm them with tech skill. If its a floaty, like jigglypuff or peach or marth or whatever floaty. I play smart. But no one ever really sees me play smart because they don't see matches of me really fighting Floaty's.

Invertigo, P.C. and Forward could get more technical. But I wouldn't say P.C. could do the combos Bombsoldier could do because his fingers aren't fast enough. Forward, I don't know. He just needs to get faster. He has the agressiveness, just needs to get faster....

P.C's tech skill is not bad, it good, but I know some Florida people that have more tech skill them him. But hey what does that matter? He could own anyone with his mindgames...

B-Will, I know you like Forward and all, but are you being Biased a little bit? It's more than obvious Bombsoldier is the most technical falco. This is how I look at things, once your Falco undestands great Combos( If you know how to DI every combo a falco can do on you without getting more than 60 damage or so), you can see whos technical and whos not. Like I don't feel like instigating an arguement, but if you watch P.C's videos and Bombsoldiers, you'll see the difference in combo knowledge.

Edit:

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shiz, I really don't agree with that.

IMO, PC or Forward can be just as agressive in the sense that I think they are able to rush down opponents if it they wanted to.

I think all of your playstyles varying from one another stems not from one being more technical than the other but because of mindgames. Forward and PC may play a little more conservatively than you or bs; I don't think that they lack the technical skill to do combos that inflict a 60+ damage combo or lack the skill to constantly stay on the opponent and overwhelm them with tech stuff.

I don't know if forward or pc knows how to jc's shines like you do consistently. But besides that, I don't see anything techwise that pc and forward aren't able to do. They use it in battle not as persistently but they use it nevertheless.

I am saying all this with as little bias as possible. I might be able to give you that bs may be the most technical...I don't know I haven't seen any recent videos of him. But other than that, I can't buy that pc or froward aren't a technical falco if that's what you are advocating.

EDIT: So this is what I am saying. Because pc or forward chooses not to play an aggressive and overwhelming playstyle, it makes them less technical? Just because they decide to play more conservatively because it caters to their mindgames they aren't technical? I just think it's silly to say that aggressive falco = technical falco. Disregard pc or forward for a moment, I'm talking about in general.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
I would think a technical Falco not only knows how to do all of the things that require very fast fingers, but also incorporate it into their games. Being able to play Falco at really fast speed doesn't beget a technical Falco, they would also have to use that speed in their actual games. Once again, if we look at the vids, we can probably see that DaShizWiz or Bombsoldier plays at a faster pace. Usually, playing at a faster pace would mean less time to think, and less time to react. To some extent, these two do contradict each other. The more technical Falco wouldn't use extremely complex mindgames, more tricky and subtle things.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
So...are you saying that one can either be considered either a mindgame falco or a technical falco? It sounds like that there can't be a falco that can be known for both mindgames and tech skill. BS and Shiz = technical falcos and PC and Forward = mindgame falcos.

I don't know if I buy into these classifications. I still think that it is possible for a falco to be both a technical and mindgame falco. Even though PC and Forward aren't as flash or combo oriented, I still consider them to be technical falcos.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I don't like the groupings, since in order to be a top-tier Falco, you have to be technical in the first place. It's just the way that BS and Shiz play that influence people to group them as being a "technical Falco." Also, your mindgames also have to be at a certain level to compete at this level.

In short, no two Falcos play alike. It's just that some aspects of certain Falco's playstyles just stand out more.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
This is cute! Sorry to bug in, but does it HONESTLY matter? Not trying to be a smart*** or anything but, ALL of us know that Forward, PC, BS, DaShizWiz, many more upcoming Falco's are all VERY SKILLED. To each and EVERY ONE OF US, we will have different opinions on what the terms mean, so in the end, NOBODY will get the answer thy want. **** B-Will, Myself, any Falco players that are trying to expand their game to a new level to achieve what the above players have made of themselves.

To be honest, all have a different opinion on the matter, so it will have different effects on all of us. The only thing that I believe are different is PLAYSTYLE OF FALCO'S. I'm pretty sure if Forward, PC, wanted to play a tech game like Shiz, BS, they could easily corporate it into their game. They just don't want to since they think the mindgame approach is better.

Ditto with Shiz, and BS, If they wanted to corporate Mindgames in their approach then they would use it but they believe that the tech game is a better approach to their opponent.

NEARLY EVERY FALCO that plays Falco, have practiced their game to match with what they like. Move choice, Flashiness, Approach, EVERYTHING ON their game. Just about every Falco out their can be a mindgame or a tech, so in honesty ALL FALCO'S have tech and Mindgame, just one approach they may use more than the other since they are better at that approach or just like the approach better since there are different levels of a player and the approach to be used You can't tell me that when a Falco practices that they don't corporate with just one part of a Falco's game. A tech practice will lead to a mindgame practice since both are combined into one when inducting your combos anyway. Such as reading your opponent or making your opponent make an error. OR PRACTICE PILLARING WITH TECH-CHASING. (AREN'T THOSE TECH GAMES, AND MINDGAMES,)

But whatever don't listen to me, I don't have much experience of anything anyways since I haven't had the luxury of playing great players yet so I could be wrong, but honestly ..........

JUST THINK ABOUT IT, and you may understand where I'm going. I could be wrong. But just think about it. HARD

terr13

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean that there could only be 2 classifications, I'm just saying that playing with more mindgames would probably require a slower falco. Of course, with the top players like PC Chris, they don't lose much by playing faster or playing with more mindgames. The main thing that makes us look at Bombsoldier and DaShizWiz as more technical Falcos is there heavier use of tech skill. Of course, Forward or PC Chris can probably do everything that DaShizWiz can, but they choose not to.

forward

Smash Champion
Things I've gathered about being "technical":

P.C. Chris is not technical, nor am I. I haven't seen anyone mention Dope, DA dave, zanguzen, mathos, or robmoney yet.

Bombsoldier and Shiz are technical, and apparently InfiniteGXT is also technical.

Technical falco's are aggressive, they are good at combos, don't mess up.

Technical falco's don't think, they just overwelm you with attacks.

According to Shiz:
Technical: A Falco player(Or any char) that is very agressive, knows what they're doing, goes to the maximum speed of the character.
P.C. can move somewhat fast, but he really isn't that technical, and when I say Technical, once again, I mean being very agressive, fast, and goes pretty much the most capable speed the character can go.
Shiz does not consider P.C. to be technical. He does not play at the maximum speed, only kinda fast. Also, P.C. is not very agressive, and he doesn't know what he's doing.

According to Shiz:
Forward can move fast, he is smart. But he doesn't go the max speed of falco, or do insane combos. He is good at comboing, and has a unique falco, but the combos are good
I got kinda lost in this. Apparently I am fast but not fast to the max. Also, I do not do insane combos, but I am good at comboing.

Ok guys thanx, I'm getting closer to understanding what a technical falco is. Technical Falcos have bad defense, they never wait they simply keep attacking, they have good combos such as waveshine sh d air x2 on fox (from the bombsoldier vids), and can move from one side of the stage to the other faster than non-technical falcos.

Wow, it all makes sense now!

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Lol Forward. I said P.C. isn't really that technical but if I have to break it down, that means he's not the max technicalness he could be. And when I said technical about P.C. I was saying he wasn't that agressive, and fast and goes the maximum speed of the character. I left out knows what he's doing because he does knows what he's doing. I thought you'd notice that. Next time actually read everything I said, I left out some parts of technicalness because he has it. That should be common sense.

You, I said your good at comboing, but not insane at comboing. You Falco is pretty fast, but its not at the speed of Falcos maximum capability. How could you get lost in that?

Technical Falcos do think, they just don't look it because they're tech skill shadows they're mindgames.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
HAHA i smell mm.

lets keep it civil though guys.

lol and infinitegxt isnt technical compared to any pros. im sure he'd agree. on that note, id like to play you infinite if you're here. i live in irvine.

definition of technical skill: how well you control your character. someone who has perfect technical skill would move to the max speed, executing perfect combos, lcancels, wavedashes, etc. basically perfect control.

relation to mindgames: none. even with perfect control youll get your *** handed to you by someone smarter. this is why pc chris is such a great falco, he is smart. this is why you want a good balance of mindgames and technical skill.

the reason technical falcos look so aggressive is because of the speed. they will constantly waveshine, fastfall, waveland, l-cancel, etc. they use all the movement tricks to go faster.

i think this is a definition we can all agree on.

mog87

Smash Ace
Teddy Atlas told me "Styles make fights". but a technical falco is obviously a falco that wins on technicalities.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
I agree Invertigo. I don't want to make a situation. Everyone has their own opinion.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I think the term applies better to people who are not amazing. From what I've seen at tournaments, most of the people who know what they are doing but "aren't quite there yet" in terms of tech skill or mindgames that'd make them pro can be divided into 2 groups.

1. Very good tech skill, yet highly predictable. (technical)
2. Awful technically, yet plays smart for someone who has 0 tech skill. (mindgames)

Group #2 is a lot rarer. Some people fall somewhere in between. People sometimes try to apply a term to someone amazing at both tech skill and mindgames. Usually when they do, it refers to how flashy someone is playing. Which looks more flashy? Shines until the shield breaks -> u-smash, or throw -> u-smash. Both accomplish the same thing, taking advantage of the opponent's vulnerability to get a u-smash on him. One looks flashier, and the flashier player is likely to be called "technical" even if both players are equal in tech skill and mindgames.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
i watched a few more videos of forward. i dont think falco can move much faster than he does. forward does everything almost perfectly except multishine.

Smash Journeyman
people are still answering fowards question as if there arent already enough answers.
b-will and many others have already said what peeps think a technical falco really is.

some says bs cuz of his aggressiveness and others say pc cuz of mindgames yea yea,
technical skills are how well you are able to tech in battle not how aggressively you use your teching skills ex..bs. any falco that can jc grab multishine shffl etc is a technical falco.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
im pretty sure no one would disagree with my definition. thats pretty much what it means.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
If you guys really think Forward and P.C. could move as fast as Bombsoldier or me, why wouldn't they record one in a friendly?

I think the same as you guys, If I wanted to play as smart as P.C. and Forward then I would. But I don't feel like it because I'd rather be technical. You guys think being smart is better, I think its better too. But if you overwhelm your opponent being technical and smart(which is what I try to do), then theres not much they can do about it. IMO, playing technical can sometimes cancel someone whos playing smart.

(Anyone watch Naruto)

Its somewhat like a Rock Lee situation. He could beat Sasuke being technical. Sasuke is smart, and knows the moves Rock Lee is going to do. But he's not fast enough to keep up.

Rapid_Assasin, yes shining the shield to break and then upsmash and Throw to up smash do do the same damage. But which one would you say is harder? The harder one is being more technical, the other one which is the throw is being more smarter.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
nice one shiz.

but also remember how shikamaru defeated temari in the chuunin finals despite temari overwhelming him with her techniques. he played smart :D

love you shiz.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
forward is hilarious. This thread is too good.

Honestly, i think PC could do any of the combos shiz does, no offense to shiz. However, PC says "overtechnicality can be a bad thing, so i don't play that way." It's not that PC CAN'T be as 'technical' as you, it's just that in his opinion, playing that way leaves him more predictable and gives less room to implement mindgames.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
If you guys really think Forward and P.C. could move as fast as Bombsoldier or me, why wouldn't they record one in a friendly?
record what in a friendly? Record one what?

Pc plays really fast and he combos really good. Are you saying you want forward and PC to prove themselves to you by making a video because they dont really care from what ive gathered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom