• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"What does '10char' mean?" A Noob board FAQ (Added troubleshooting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
who here likes mudkips?

QFT = quoted for truth

wow, a whale!

there is no cow level

I did this for the lulz.

Miharu

Smash Hero
No point in listing every single internet fad here.

Learning these kinds of things by yourself is what experiencing the internet is all about.

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
@ meleemaster500-

Wow, you are really good at making really good threads. First the raise hand thread and now this.

I am kind of a noob when it comes to internet slang. I figured out a lot of the internet slang by myself, but one I couldn't figure out was "QFT". Finally I know what it means. :)

Oh, it looks like Izaw beat me to it. I was going to say "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!". Which I still don't know for sure where that comes from or what it means. My only guess is that it comes from Dragonball Z and it started with Fox's little scanner over his eye.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
@ meleemaster500-

Wow, you are really good at making really good threads. First the raise hand thread and now this.

I am kind of a noob when it comes to internet slang. I figured out a lot of the internet slang by myself, but one I couldn't figure out was "QFT". Finally I know what it means. :)

Oh, it looks like Izaw beat me to it. I was going to say "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!". Which I still don't know for sure where that comes from or what it means. My only guess is that it comes from Dragonball Z and it started with Fox's little scanner over his eye.
thanks, added 9000, and my other threads doing good. (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3975614#post3975614 Un-advanced techniques)

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
What does "All of your base are belong to me" or something like that mean?

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
@ meleemaster500-

Oh, here are some that I have seen and still can't decipher what they mean:

"Lawl"

"Lulz" (I think, might be "Lul")

OMG, I Lol with the DOUBLE POST with Meta Knight's Special moves in the un-adv. tech. thread.

@ Flaming Dragon Wang-

I think I am a much bigger noob than Flipstar b/c I have never even heard of "All your base are belong to us", let alone knowing what it means. Still that is a very funny statement. :laugh:

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
also the double post technique was an actual double post, I then added pictures of meta-knights moves cause i could.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
@ flamers, this isn't a list of internet memes and slang, cause is it was, i could have just cheated and copied everything from another website, no this is specifics and specifically requested most the time, speaking of which I NEED MOAR REQUESTS!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Maybe you should use the full definition of tier

Tiers: Tiers are a general breakdown of how each character stacks up in comparison to the other characters in the game. The tier list assumes a few things. First and most importantly is that it is based on the current metagame (which is based on the mind-games and technical skill of the top players). Current is the vital point here, it is not based on future potential, but on current potential (as a note here Fox is considered to have the most potential in the game). Second, the tier list assumes those playing are of near equal skill, and that they are both near the top of the technical (human) ability for their given character.

What exactly does all this mean? Essentially under most circumstances the higher tiered character will beat the lower tiered character. It is a simply a list of overall advantages, which characters have more advantages in more match ups than other characters. What it doesn't mean is that Sheik will always destroy Marth simply because she is located 2 spots above Marth on the tier list. The impact of the tier list at the top levels of play is minimal once you move into the High Tier and above. Instead, counter characters begin to play a larger role. This also brings up a large portion of the confusion regarding the tier list because a lower ranked character can be a counter to a character ranked much higher. The easiest example here is the Ice Climbers versus Sheik. While Sheik has more advantages in more match ups, the Ice Climbers are one of the few characters that can chain grab her, and as a result they are her only hard counter.
To get a slightly more in depth look at tiers, largely covering the previous tier list, view this: The Ever Evolving Smash Tiers

AlphaZealot

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
I noticed this is a guide for "Noobs" but we don't make the distinction between n00b and newb...if there is still one anymore. There used to be.

What I remember:
n00b=troll
newb=someone new to something.

Finch

Smash Lord
You should include leet speak for the people that didn't know what lol meant. You should also probably explain that lawl and lol are the same thing. I'm sure someone didn't know that. Also, explain what a zergling is. This isn't off-topic enough yet.

pud22

Smash Apprentice
good thread, very...educational. btw what does "the cake is a lie" mean?

battousai555

Smash Ace
good thread, very...educational. btw what does "the cake is a lie" mean?
It's from a valve game called Portal. The AI (robot, wtvr you want to call it) that is administering the test promises you cake at the end of the test. On certain levels you can see that previous people that have taken the test have written on a wall. There are things such as tally marks, drawings, and the phrase "the cake is a lie."

On another note, aren't tier lists based off of which character wins tournaments the most often? The OP made it seem like tiers were based off of which character is most likely to win a tournament, rather than which character does win the most tournaments. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Also, meteor-spikes can be canceled with an upB AND a jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom