• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"What does '10char' mean?" A Noob board FAQ (Added troubleshooting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frames

DI
Don't forget this one:

"inb4lock"

This basically means that I think this thread is worthless and will be locked, therefore let me make a quick post before a mod locks the thread.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
Noob questions:

1.) In Brawl, what do you press to catch an item thrown at you? (like a turnip)

2.) In Brawl, what do you press to grab an item off the ground as you run or jump by it?

3.) Is my hate for Marth as a character with unfair range and power legitimate?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I'll add every single request/question/answer tonight, i'm busy currently, in the mean time, keep posting them. also the definitions are supposed to be basic, like the tiers, it gives the idea, not the whole explanation.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Noob questions:

1.) In Brawl, what do you press to catch an item thrown at you? (like a turnip)

2.) In Brawl, what do you press to grab an item off the ground as you run or jump by it?

3.) Is my hate for Marth as a character with unfair range and power legitimate?
Wrong Thread, try the "ask a quick question, get a quick answer" thread someone else made, it answers more gameplay themed questions, and i'm still busy today!

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
For the record, if you find yourself using most of the phrases in this thread (10char, inb4____, facepalm, etc.) you probably deserve an infraction. Just a warning.
actually, he's right, you guys may now know what these terms mean, but most of the time, people enjoy English instead of "LULZ noobs i pwn'd ur face wit mah leet hox0r skillz, ALBAB2me!!!11!!11one1!"

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I noticed this is a guide for "Noobs" but we don't make the distinction between n00b and newb...if there is still one anymore. There used to be.

What I remember:
n00b=troll
newb=someone new to something.
nah, they are all just nicknames for the same thing, if you call someone a noob n00b newb whatever, its gonna mean the same thing

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
You should include leet speak for the people that didn't know what lol meant. You should also probably explain that lawl and lol are the same thing. I'm sure someone didn't know that. Also, explain what a zergling is. This isn't off-topic enough yet.
1. i probably will do "leet speak entry"
2. i though i made it pretty clear that lawl, lol, and anything else that sounds the same is Laugh out loud.
3. zergling is from starcraft, i think, ive never seen it in internet speak, or in a sentance

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
It's from a valve game called Portal. The AI (robot, wtvr you want to call it) that is administering the test promises you cake at the end of the test. On certain levels you can see that previous people that have taken the test have written on a wall. There are things such as tally marks, drawings, and the phrase "the cake is a lie."

On another note, aren't tier lists based off of which character wins tournaments the most often? The OP made it seem like tiers were based off of which character is most likely to win a tournament, rather than which character does win the most tournaments. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Also, meteor-spikes can be canceled with an upB AND a jump.
1. I'll add cake is a lie,
2. the definitions are to explain it to noobs so they can understand, so i made it easy, and if a person uses fox, and sucks, in a tournament and they face like gimpyfish with bowser, they will lose , so tiers just mean the better characters.
3. you are correct sir, ill fix it soon.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
TO DO LIST
i'll fix
-meteor cancel

later i will add
-the cake is a lie
-this was a triumph
-shoop da woop
-inb4lock
-Mod

what i'm not going to do
-better defining tier
-difference between noob, n00b, newb...
-difference between lol, lawl, lul, lulz...

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
gotta break my promise again, i can't fix the list till tomorrow after school eastern time, right now its 9:38 my time when i posted it

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Ah, that answers the question.

Idiot.

Oh, and to whoever said that the majority of these are just internet/gaming/WoW/other nerd mediums references, they're right. The vast majority of these just general things you'd find on any forum/MMO/etc. Thus, this doesn't belong in the Brawl forum.

Not a necessary topic.

EDIT:

FTL=For the Lose, opposite of FTW
It's for the loss.

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!=It started as a youtube poop(random nonsense) video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI the guy makes pretty good videos) and became an internet meme, especially because fox has a scouter like the Vegeta character.
No, it started because most gamers are nerds who also enjoy anime. Dragonball Z was a popular 90's/whatever show, and anyone who used to watch it got the reference. It was just an amusing reference from the show. And the use on even these boards goes way farther back than Fox's silly scouter. Know your stuff, dude.

I could go on, but I'll spare myself the wasted time. Incorrect references further makes this topic completely pointless.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Sorry, bridging the gap between noobs and good people isn't usually our priority. These kinda things are meant to be learned on your own, not from a thread.

And yea, get the ****ing 9000 **** right

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Ah, that answers the question.

Idiot.

Oh, and to whoever said that the majority of these are just internet/gaming/WoW/other nerd mediums references, they're right. The vast majority of these just general things you'd find on any forum/MMO/etc. Thus, this doesn't belong in the Brawl forum.

Not a necessary topic.

EDIT:

It's for the loss.

No, it started because most gamers are nerds who also enjoy anime. Dragonball Z was a popular 90's/whatever show, and anyone who used to watch it got the reference. It was just an amusing reference from the show. And the use on even these boards goes way farther back than Fox's silly scouter. Know your stuff, dude.

I could go on, but I'll spare myself the wasted time. Incorrect references further makes this topic completely pointless.
Sorry, bridging the gap between noobs and good people isn't usually our priority. These kinda things are meant to be learned on your own, not from a thread.

And yea, get the ****ing 9000 **** right
Well, for one thing you guys are not getting the concept of this thread
1. i never said that the majority of these are internet forum speak, i said the majority are related to the brawl forums, which is correct
2. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=for+the+lose
3. Of course i know it began a lot further before the youtube, but as the guy saids, IN THE YOUTUBE DISCRIPTION, that this was a very unknown meme, therefore it began being the internet meme it's overused as today because of that video.
4. do you really want to be a noob in the dark, read the first sentance, noobs have always ASKED the answers to these questions, some yes do figure it out from easy context, but what is more common.
5. you are pretty obsessed with your anime origins aren't you, this is just a thread for noobs to find out the meaning, not the exact origin of the meme from the beginning, unlike shoop da whoop which has a hard explanation, so i linked it to a origin site.

phew

THE MORE YOU KNOW.

Actually, that could be one. In fact, most of the chan memes could be on this list, like

a cat is fine too
an hero
barrel roll
copypasta
do not want/do want
lolcats
goofy time
how do i shot web
mudkips
pedobear
pool's closed
WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
za warudo
sauce
weeaboo
chocolate rain
anything with cd-i link

There are so many others.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
ITT=Can also mean "I think that"

also

AT usually means Advanced technique not Assist Trophy. But it's all in the context.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
THE MORE YOU KNOW.
a cat is fine too
an hero
barrel roll
copypasta
do not want/do want
lolcats
goofy time
how do i shot web
mudkips
pedobear
pool's closed
WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
za warudo
sauce
weeaboo
chocolate rain
anything with cd-i link
Not all of those are relevant to Smash Boards though.

Za Warudo and WRYYYYYYYYYYYY are essentially the same meme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom