• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do..

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Night before a tournament, you've spent weeks and months preparing as one character the time and energy you've spent to obtain some kind of peak as a player. Then the person you are practicing against just for the first time picks up the character you've spent all this time on and starts consistently beating you. What exactly would you do. I immediately want to drop the game after something like this occurs. Possibly the most demoralizing thing to happen to a player. What would you do.?

Jonas

Smash Champion
It kind of gets to me too, but to be completely honest it doesn't really matter. It just means you have more to learn. Playing someone who is better with your characters (or is just beating you with random gimmicky stuff you're not prepared for) can be a learning experience as well. A loss can be helpful if you learn from it.

Varist

Smash Lord
That means you're not playing smart. He is. Perfect your ATs as much as you want, play so that you gather so much experience that movement with your character is second nature, spacing is easy, etc., but if you don't read people, or let them read you, you're gonna get *****. that's the only answer.

UNLESS YOUR FRIEND HAS BEEN SECRETLY PRACTICING WITH THAT CHARACTER. CONSPIRACY.

Jonas

Smash Champion
The worst thing is when you've gotten into a new fighting game and have practised for a few weeks or so and you think you're kind of good, and then your friend without any experience comes in and woops your *** :p

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
It really gets to me. Honestly at this point I am thinking about just giving up. It really really sucks. But not much I can do I guess.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Night before a tournament, you've spent weeks and months preparing as one character the time and energy you've spent to obtain some kind of peak as a player. Then the person you are practicing against just for the first time picks up the character you've spent all this time on and starts consistently beating you. What exactly would you do. I immediately want to drop the game after something like this occurs. Possibly the most demoralizing thing to happen to a player. What would you do.?
This is your problem. You shouldn't be aspiring to a peak. You should be aspiring to learn and grow as much as possible. If you play someone and get destroyed, you've obviously failed to reach that imaginary peak, but if your goal going into the match was to learn and improve, then even if you get destroyed that goal is still obtainable.

The peak is an illusion.

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
i've done that to a few of my friends. i guess it helps that i don't have a "main" so i don't really get locked into any habits because i'm always switching characters around. the basics are still the same for every character (don't get hit, hit em, don't miss edgeguards, etc.) so yep.

a couple of em got really pissed at me when i did it though :(

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
To sort of expand on what Mesa said, keep in mind that your practice buddy has learned your playstyle and habits for your character already, while you don't know how he's going to play your character. (Especially lacking practice with that character, he's going to play very spontaneously. This makes it difficult to learn/read him.) Don't forget, trying to figure out your opponent isn't always enough, you also have to make sure your opponent can't figure you out. Change up your style if you have to.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
It doesn't necessarily mean he's better with that character, but he may understand the mu better or you may suck at the mu. Dittos are only another mu remember, and not a test of total character skill.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I've been ***** in Peach dittos before by people who don't actually main her...

It suuuuuuuuucks. But then I ask for more matches, and I kinda understand after a while. Just play more dittos with them, and learn. You'll figure it out.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I love to **** peoples mains. It makes me feel sexy.
Your friend is probably doing it on purpose to piss you off lol.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
What exactly happened to you? What character are you guys playing, cause it could be something really simple in the MU that you just dont understand. People who don't main characters usually grab and hold on to easy things they saw and can do. If they saw that forward throw > forward smash works in Marth dittos every time they're gonna use it.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
He mains ICs and secondaries Ness, IIRC
If that's that case IC dittos must be really weird cause grab setups are so difficult to manage. Try asking your character boards

Zodiac

Smash Master
the night before a tournament I just practice and relax, same as my days leading up to a tournament

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Don't get intimidated and don't get nervous because their isn't any reason to get nervous.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
^Thanks for the advice guys it really helped out. It was in a falcon ditto and he had no idea what he was doing and it was just a crushing moment for me. I've put the most time into falcon even though I main marth. It was quite awful to know that he understood the mu and my playstyle that well :/

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Smash is all about ramming a bunch of hitboxes into the opponent's face.

You might know your character's hitboxes, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're better than your opponent at using hitboxes in general.

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
Smash is all about ramming a bunch of hitboxes into the opponent's face.

You might know your character's hitboxes, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're better than your opponent at using hitboxes in general.
i really really really like the way you phrased that.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Just take the dittos practice and be happy, it's only as demoralising as you make it to be.

:king:

Beat!

Smash Master
Idk what the problem here is. You have a training partner who is better than you at the game. If you're even a little competitive, you should be VERY thankful for that. It's nothing but good for your own improvement. Feeling "demoralized" because one single month of practice wasn't enough against a better player... is a complete waste of time. Just keep going.

Battlecow

Play to Win
If he's significantly better than you, he'll be able to beat you with a lot of characters he doesn't really play, just because he knows the game as a whole better. Character skills do transfer to some extent.

Twix

Smash Cadet
Being angry is understandable, but realize two things:

Dittos are a completely different game. I can beat some of my friends with Sheik, but when they play her to **** around, I can never win. Ever.

Also, you should try to channel your anger into motivation to be better. Now you have something visible to track for your progress. Best way to look at it, IMO.

freaksheet

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't give up. In a way, it's a chance to grow and stuff. Though I wonder how they might've gotten better in such a short amount of time and how they mastered the character whilst you've been practicing for a month or so. :O

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
This is your problem. You shouldn't be aspiring to a peak. You should be aspiring to learn and grow as much as possible. If you play someone and get destroyed, you've obviously failed to reach that imaginary peak, but if your goal going into the match was to learn and improve, then even if you get destroyed that goal is still obtainable.

The peak is an illusion.
This.

There is no peak in Melee. Even TASs aren't the peak. They're just really close.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
I know the feelin'. What's worse is when you are playing a more experienced dude for good practice, and he consistently beats you. You think "that's great, I'm getting MU experience, and I feel like I'm learning a lot.", but then you notice that he is choosing different characters not for personal satisfaction, but because he wants to stop winning. You notice that he is actually moving down the tier list with every couple of successive wins and before you know it he's on ****ing Pichu talking about how good of a char he is.

These things can be avoided. Couple a' things:
1. He's better than you at Melee in general, in which case you should not feel aggravated upon losing, but reflect upon every loss and toss out what you're doing wrong. You probably felt like **** after every loss in the series of dittos, which is a self-fulfilling prophecy, and will result in you feeling worse and losing even more. Never feel bad about losing.
2. You were underestimating his ability to use the character in the given MU. NEVER EVER underestimate your opponent; always play like they know exactly what they're doing and can 0-death you at any moment. Don't let your guard down and refer back to point #1.

Hope that helps.

Zodiac

Smash Master
It usually means you're forgetting one of the basic skills of the game, I know I have had this problem and every time its because I forget a very important basic skill that all beginners know, because its the first thing you notice

:phone:

Top Bottom