• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do people think of ROB's new tier place?

airsmasher

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit disappointed with this, really. Can someone provide a link to the new list, so I can see it for myself?

WarmSoda

Smash Apprentice
the most amazing move was fox's and rob's. they went way to low. even with wario's extreme grab release weakeness he manages to stay in 8th.wtf.this tier list is terrible.also zss went way to high.
I agree...

...except ZSS.

It's about time she moved up. Players like Snakee and Claw have justified her position.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Oli's been my DDD counter for a while. He camps even better than ROB, I love it.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
ZSS has been showing some significant improvement I was not surprised that she moved up like she did. As for Wario I think he is in a good spot except I am pretty sure R.O.B. should have at least gotten above him. Diddy Kong is probably well placed too if you noticed he isn't even top 5, and yeah people have been increasingly getting better with him.

Edit: LOL Sudai I'm starting to think anyone with a sword is a G&W counter. haha

$haDy

Smash Apprentice
I think his new tier place is better suited for him atm anyway.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
ROB vs Olimar is an interesting fight though, from what I can tell placing a gyro near Oli's camp and spamming lasers is pretty easy and effective. I think the gyro kills the pikmin if he tries to throw them lol

WarmSoda

Smash Apprentice
...from what I can tell placing a gyro near Oli's camp and spamming lasers is pretty easy and effective. I think the gyro kills the pikmin if he tries to throw them lol
If my memory serves me well, it does.

I use the gyro, in an Olimar fight, the same way I would against Ice Climbers. I use it as a "brick-wall-n'bait", stopping some approaches and projectiles, but when they get pissed off enough and attempt to grab the gyro, I approach with a short hopped laser (DI'ing toward them), a few FTilts and jabs and finishing with picking up the gyro (adding even more frustration to the opponent) and gyro-gliding into a FSmash (or grab release chain, if I haven't tried it once in set already)

Vorguen

Smash Champion
The Olimar fight isn't too bad it's just very annoying.

I actually have noticed that Olimar is annoying to fight with most characters... except for Wolf.

Seriously if you want to pick on Olimar use wolf. Wolf's laser stops the pikmin flying at you, and it counts as a degenerating move.

So you can refresh your moves by lasering his pikmin.

And his Fsmash just eats Olimar alive. Personally I just hate fighting Olimar so much I just use wolf and I can't remember the last time I lost to an Olimar.

That being said as R.O.B. gyro will work miracles on Olimar, I don't always charge it fully so it can land in front of him rather than past him if I miss or he dodges.

Also his Pikmin work miracles on degenerating your moves so I try to avoid stuff like Dsmash and other moves I want to keep fresh when shrugging Pikmin off.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
He dies so fast though. : ( [Then again, I started using Link as my GnW counter so I can't say much. XD]
How is Link a GnW counter? Only advantage Link has is a that matchups against him are relatively unknown.

I agree ZSS deserves her spot on the list. She is a great character and the only thing that keeps me from playing her is the fact it just doesn't fit my playstyle.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
Well said.

Whatever this new tier list amounts to, it doesn't change anything.

At best, we'll see a few more Wario mains. And I predict a couple more Olimars.
*groan* i like the # of wario mains and olimar mains right now. *sigh* i don't want those two to be as overplayed as meta-knight and ike. being one of a couple few makes me feel special bout maining my characters.good thing nobody will want to play pokemon trainer(he went down by 2) i still have him for myself(and a couple others)

and lol at link being a G&W counter:laugh:

Sudai

Stuff here
How is Link a GnW counter? Only advantage Link has is a that matchups against him are relatively unknown.

I agree ZSS deserves her spot on the list. She is a great character and the only thing that keeps me from playing her is the fact it just doesn't fit my playstyle.
He's not, at all. I just like the match about 1000x more than I like ROB vs GnW.

buenob

Smash Lord
we just have to collectively start kicking more *** :)

rob is great, I think he's currently the most under-rated character on the list... we're gonna be seeing a _lot_ of people pulling out the new A/B tiered characters so lets make sure to rep ROB as much as he deserves

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
lol this topic is funny

I'd rather him be the bottom tier, haha, it's credit to those placing well with him (ShadowROB, OS (when he used ROB), NinjaLink, JCaesar, Nacker, Toasty) who got him to top tier in the first place. Obviously results have changed a bit and he's dropped a few spots.

the lower the better, that way when i beat people they complain less about top tier bs

T0MMY

Smash Master
This isn't the only time the SBR has an inaccurate tier list (remembers the terrible choice to bring Pichu up in the tier list). I agree with the majority questioning these placings. I also don't like how they tiered the characters into so many different sections, that's overkill. I'm pretty sure next revising will have less tiers and will probably reflect more on the characters' placings discussed here (R.O.B., Wario, ZSS, etc.)
No need to get worked up over this, it'll change...

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I agree but then again the most damage a Tier List can do is bring about an enormous surge of a certain new characters.

What I'm trying to say is I expect 5 million more Diddy mains for example and so it helps to plan accordingly.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I honestly think Lucario's the most underrated on this tier list lol. I hate him with a passion. I enjoy fighting GaW more. Well, almost.

BTW, ROBs drop wasn't terrible, DK and wolf dropped 4 and Fox dropped 5 lol. Olimar got the biggest boost, a crazy 7 places... followed by Peach and ZSS's 5 and diddy's 4.

jokey665

Smash Ace
I honestly think Lucario's the most underrated on this tier list lol. I hate him with a passion. I enjoy fighting GaW more. Well, almost.
Man, Lucario is one of the easiest characters for me as ROB. Though, to be fair, I've also never lost to a G&W in a singles tournament either... It's always either Marth, Fox, or MK.

ganonspike

Smash Rookie
I was so completly heartbroken when that tierlist came out...I dont really get why they would place him under over seventh, I will continue to own with him

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
ROB's tier placement is fine, it's other characters that are screwed up around him. :p For one, I think Diddy is highly overrated and many people are just like "omg ninjalink beat m2k's mk with him diddy is an MK counter !!" among other problems.

Plus, as has been said, tier placement doesn't change his standing as a character in the game. You just play who you're naturally best with, maybe learn a CP character or two to complement their matchups, and you're good. If you're merely committed to learn a character because they're the "best" then you learn MK, beyond that who cares?
Yea u could say i single handedly raised him.....wasnt my intention though. He still isnt a counter. I'm a MK counter not diddy.

Diddy is considered good because
-people don't know how to play against him
-high potential because of room for metagame growth
-no glaring flaws (bad killability is the closest)
-he is doing well in reputable tournies

He's pretty much the exact opposite of ROB's playstyle now that I think about it, except that they both suck at killing.
Maybe YOUR ROBs playstyle......guess u didnt look at any aggresive robs have u....maybe mine >_>

I think ROB is good where he is. HIs momentum cancel is trash.......omg i hate it.

Teh Future

Smash Master
"He still isnt a counter. I'm a MK counter not diddy."

lol I said the same thing to myself after playing a diddy vs metaknight match

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I think ROB is good where he is. HIs momentum cancel is trash.......omg i hate it.
I don't know why I keep seeing this repeated everywhere. His FAir is quick, his aerial speed and fastfall are rather average. I mean, if ROB's momentum cancelling is "trash" so is everyone else's except G&W.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I don't know why I keep seeing this repeated everywhere. His FAir is quick, his aerial speed and fastfall are rather average. I mean, if ROB's momentum cancelling is "trash" so is everyone else's except G&W.
It has nothin to do with his attacks. Its just he cant stop himself very well. Not every one is the same. Example. Zelda can fair and then jump and her momentum stops pretty good. Sheik uses her fair and she cant stop teh same. Zelda lives longer despite being the same weight. its just the characters design. D3 is the same way but the fact is ridic heavy anyone u wont notice it. U better watch the momentum vid again.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Maybe YOUR ROBs playstyle......guess u didnt look at any aggresive robs have u....maybe mine >_>
Heheh I'm the most aggressive ROB I've seen (I know I've watched your vids, don't remember how you were though), usually when I talk on these boards though I'm speaking from a campers POV because that's what most ROBs try and improve in their playstyles.

Personally I find pure camping is too limited and predictable. Especially on a character renown for being campy, seems like going aggressive sometimes can really **** with your opponent's strategy, since it's the exact opposite of what they'd be expecting.

And in regards to momentum it's really obvious how ROB is. I play Marth as well and try to space fairs is just so much harder on ROB because you cant move in and out as easily

Of course I'm still a newb but this is what I've seen

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Being aggressive at the right times can be very effective, but camping is the dominant ROB strategy for a reason. Against most characters, it's a no-risk high-reward situation, so if you want to win, it's only logical to camp.

Take Ike for example. What can Ike do against a camping ROB? Approach slowly and clunkily, that's about it. It's guaranteed, safe damage. And you can use it to put him in a bad position, near the edge where he's easy gimp bait.

There are matches where being aggressive is the dominant strategy, but for the most part, camping is safer and easier. If you don't like to camp though, then don't camp. You just probably won't have as much success as campy ROBs unless you're already an amazing player.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Nope.

Zelda, Falco, Pit, Olimar, GnW, Mario, Link, TLink, and Diddy (to an extent on the last 3)
Agreed though I still really have a hard time believing Olimar can outcamp ROB. Maybe I just haven't played any good Olimars, but seems like you could just stay close to a ledge, drop the gyro an ftilts distance in front of you, spam lasers moar.

Olimar can't use his bside as long as the gyro is in front of him unless he jumps and throws from the air, and from what I've seen catching Oli in a Uair at that point is easy and difficult to punish. If he tries hopping over the gyro ftilt or dtilt him into it, or grab and throw him off the ledge and proceed to fair him for an easy gimp.

If he does get inside and starts wreckin you just hop off the edge, and since Olimars generally don't want to edge guard because it'll be gimp city he'll probably stay on the stage, giving you time to regroup, spam moar lasers, position a gyro, etc.

Honestly I see camping is more effective against Olimar than most of ROBs other matchups since he will hit you hard and fast inside, and you then have to deal with his nice grab range and pickmin spam

Sudai

Stuff here
I really don't know much about the Oli match-up as I haven't played a good one in a long while, I just remember Oli's Mid-Range camp game was a lot better than ROB's. There's some places that the Pikmen will land and it's just a pain to get them off without putting yourself in a really bad situation.

Top Bottom