• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What direction do you think 3D Sonic should go in?

Which 3D style should be used going forward?

• Adventure

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Boost

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Adventure/Boost mix

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Lost World

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heroes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something new

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Title is self explanatory. This is a discussion thread where you can openly talk about what gameplay style you think the 3D main series of Sonic games should use from here on out. Boost? Adventure? A mix of those two? Lost World? Something entirely new? Whatever you think is best for 3D Sonic, post it here. Don't be afraid to share unpopular opinions here. Also, "he should just stick to 2D" is not an answer.
Personally, I think there's lots of untapped potential in the Adventure style. Having the good level design of 06 with the good physics of Adventure 2 could lead to a really fun game. I'm also just very bored of only playing Sonic this decade, we really need some more playable characters. Since they really only tried the style with three games-the last one single-handedly killing the formula-I think it deserves another chance to shine, and I also think that it can be the definitive Modern Sonic experience if improved.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I agree. Multiple playable characters would definitely work as long they don't feel too gimmicky and are fun to play as. I'm no expert on Sonic, but a lot of the issues that plague modern Sonic seem to boil down to slow down in FPS, slow gameplay, and uninspired level designs. I think this has to do with how often Sega pumps out Sonic games. I think going back to the Sonic Adventures formula that allowed fast gameplay that fits with the level design would do a lot for the series. My mind also points to how Sonic Generations handled the gameplay. Really, they just need to make a game that is polished and feels fast and fun. Maybe something that is a little innovative without doing what Sonic 06 did and tries to do a lot of brand new stuff like the awkward romance between Sonic and a human.

Last edited:

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Etheus Rook Etheus Rook maybe read the rules before you post?
I thought it was cute. And accurate. But fine.

I think they should stick with the Heroes route and make sure every stage is curated as well as possible to make use of each party member's strengths. Emphasis on curated, because none of the 3D games feel even remotely polished.

Don't really care for the RPG/story heavy route for Sonic. Unless they want to emulate the one good Sonic cartoon, they should stop pretending the story even can be taken seriously.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I think it should go for an adventure 2 style in everything but gameplay, because I really like the generations boost gameplay, it just flows really well, as for other playable characters, tails's mech levels from SA2 are very fun, though another option that would fit him are puzzle levels, knuckles, on the other hand, needs some work, i hate the hunting levels, so maybe something combat based?

as for story, I will maintain that sonic games should still have a more serious story, not archie sonic level, something like unleashed or the adventure games would be good

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I mean of course Adventure Boost has just a lot of Drawbacks like
1. Much higher Development Cost
2. Only Sonic Playable
3. Little to no (good) Story
4. overelianze on 3d to to point 1

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Much higher Development Cost
Any Sonic game is gonna have high development costs since you gotta make big levels. That goes for any 3D Sonic formula, even the 2D games to an extent.
Only Sonic Playable
Sonic's friends are playable in the Adventure games. And with Boost, that's not really a restriction of the formula, more so Sonic Team just not wanting to put multiple playable characters in the game.
Little to no (good) Story
Again, this isn't a restriction of the formula itself, it's just that Sonic Team hasn't had a good story with Boost yet. And with Adventure, those stories are great.
overelianze on 3d to to point 1
Yes, captain obvious, a 3D Sonic game will rely on 3D.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Any Sonic game is gonna have high development costs since you gotta make big levels. That goes for any 3D Sonic formula, even the 2D games to an extent.

Sonic's friends are playable in the Adventure games. And with Boost, that's not really a restriction of the formula, more so Sonic Team just not wanting to put multiple playable characters in the game.

Again, this isn't a restriction of the formula itself, it's just that Sonic Team hasn't had a good story with Boost yet. And with Adventure, those stories are great.

my 2nd and 3rd points may only aplly right now but
but Boost is definitly more costly than Adventure because youre much faster than Adventure means More level/more Costs

Otoad64

Smash Lord

took the words right outta my mouth!

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Whichever direction leads to playing as Big the Cat with his Heroes gameplay. Sonic World is a fangame that's right up my alley for reference and does the kind of thing I like about Adventure with character variety and big, somewhat open levels that multiple characters can play through.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Disclaimer: Due to the 3D games being so different in style, what will be perfect for me won't necessarily be even good for someone else.

Here goes:

Gameplay:
What makes Sonic, well .. Sonic.
IMO the peak of his gameplay was SA2.
But the parkour system from Lost World was AMAZING! I need it to be a staple to his repertoire forever
Obviously I want his friends to be playable as well.
Tails: Like SA1.
Knuckles: Like SA2.
Amy: SA1 but faster.
Etc .
(And all of them, with the same reach the goal mission as Sonic).

Story:
Unleashed was perfectly executed. Had it's serious moments, touching moments, and funny moments.

Art Style:
Lost World. I know many people don't like it diving straight back to a classic style, but to me it's as iconic as it gets. And Modern Sonic never looked better in my eyes.

Camera:
Lost World. All I want from the camera is for it to stop getting in the way. I've felt for the longest time that Lost World and 3D Blast are great in the sense that I don't have to struggle with it. SA2 also handles it well, but feels a bit more forced and drastic.

Music:
SA1 / Colors. Seriously, the more varied the music styles, the better!

Extra:
Skill shop from Generations.
Build your own Sonic moveset by purchasing different skills (with rings).

You get to arm him with stuff like:
  • Spindash (SA1)
  • Bounce (SA2)
  • Rocket Accel (Heroes)
  • Equip Caliburn for Melee attacks (Black Knight)
  • Boost (Unleashed)
Etc

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Speaking of 3d Sonic im right now busy Building Sonic Themed Disney Infinity 3.0. Levels
ive made Right now
1st. Green Hill Zone
2nd. Sapphire Coast Zone
3rd. Weapon Factory Zone
and 4th(for now): Killer Egg Zone (you know because the Death egg is based on the Death Star so i based the name on Star killer Base)
Do you want Screenshoots?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
-Unless you’re going for a Monkey Ball-esque rage/penny-pincher game, 8-directional movement is a must for high speed 3D platforming
-Linear levels a la Crash. Not straight lines like Crash or the boost games, but similar. A bit rollercoaster like, though falling off the track shouldn’t be an issue unless you’re going for a shortcut.
-Momentum physics like the Classic games. Lots of slopes. Speed has to be earned.
-Story exists, but is not a focus (think Sonic 3)

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Title is self explanatory. This is a discussion thread where you can openly talk about what gameplay style you think the 3D main series of Sonic games should use from here on out. Boost? Adventure? A mix of those two? Lost World? Something entirely new? Whatever you think is best for 3D Sonic, post it here. Don't be afraid to share unpopular opinions here. Also, "he should just stick to 2D" is not an answer.
Personally, I think there's lots of untapped potential in the Adventure style. Having the good level design of 06 with the good physics of Adventure 2 could lead to a really fun game. I'm also just very bored of only playing Sonic this decade, we really need some more playable characters. Since they really only tried the style with three games-the last one single-handedly killing the formula-I think it deserves another chance to shine, and I also think that it can be the definitive Modern Sonic experience if improved.
When you consider the development history of Sonic as a challenger to Mario, it seems best to let his games be predominantly adventuring platformers, even in 3 dimensions. Though, in light of the above, there should be maintained a flexibility of genre so as to maintain his analogy to Mario as the Sega 'been-everywhere' character.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I think Continuity Wise 3D Sonic needs a reboot lol. That and more consistent character design, AKA giving the Male Characters actual clothing design.

Hedgehugs

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7897-0445-8488
SEGA really screwed themselves over by trying so many different styles, so the fanbase is decisive on what would be the "best" 3D style.

So, in my opinion, doing the Adventure/Boost mix would be the best thing to satisfy the majority of the fanbase. Basically best of both worlds.

Shoutouts to the person who picked Heroes though. Loved that game myself.

Other things I'd like SEGA to do:

• Have more characters playable (outside of spinoffs). It's a waste they're not used more, even at least plot-wise. Speed characters can keep the boost while other types of characters can have their own unique move(s). If they somehow get the budget; It would be really cool if we could have games devoted to characters that arn't Sonic. A(nother) game starring Tails especially.
  • Actual stories. Nothing too dark or even deep. Hell, I've always said that the perfect Sonic game IMO would be "Sonic Unleashed but with Sonic Generations' boost/gameplay style." Unleashed's story was simple yet interesting, fun to watch, and had it's serious moments that got me invested and cheering for the characters.
  • Stop the stupid mandates. The Classic characters (Mighty, Ray, Honey, Fang, Bark, etc.) should be allowed in the modern games with modernized designs and the 2 Worlds theory or whatever it's called is stupid. I don't know how to fix the 2 worlds things besides adding the humans back since it nullifies Shadow's whole character not having them (With the Unleashed designs because PLEASE SEGA I BEG YOU THEY WERE SOOO NICE AND DIDN'T MAKE SONIC LOOK OFF STANDING NEXT TO THEM LIKE ADVENTURE AND 06 DID I DON'T CARE IF THEY LOOKED LIKE DISNEY CHARACTERS PLEASEEEE). Speaking of Shadow; as much as I don't like Shadow as a character, they're doing this dude dirty and SEGA knows he has many fans, so why are they turning him into a wal-mart brand Vegeta?
  • Aaaand speaking of character personalities, many of these characters need their personality rerailed. I already mentioned Shadow. Sonic is mostly fine, especially compared to others, but I can see why people arn't fond of how he acts nowadays. The guy's never serious and is non-stop joking machine, making it hard to care about the game/story. I personally I would bring back his Adventure or his Storybook Series personality, where he could be cheesy at times ("Aw yeah, this is happenin'!" and wishing for a mountain of handkerchiefs come to mind) but knew when to get serious and had a very cool, compassionate side to him that showed well (Sonic literally has to do this trial in SATBK with limited time but ditched it to go help one kid out. What a sweetheart.) Anyway, Tails is... Well, the less I think of Tails bending over scared of Chaos (who he fought before, mind you), the better. Other characters I would fix up are Knuckles (dude go make out with your green giant rock wtf are you doing here) and Amy (she's... kinda dull as a character recently? she's way less obsessed with sonic, which isn't a bad thing on paper but it was her whole character, so...)
  • Almost didn't add this but since I remember seeing it complained alot when Sonic Forces released; Less automatic sections unless it's actual worth flexing your graphics/environments. SEGA... We came to play a game, please...

I'd write more but I'm done ranting for now. TL;DR SEGA's doing dumb stuff right now and I can't wait for Sonic Mania 2.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
SEGA really screwed themselves over by trying so many different styles, so the fanbase is decisive on what would be the "best" 3D style.

So, in my opinion, doing the Adventure/Boost mix would be the best thing to satisfy the majority of the fanbase. Basically best of both worlds.

• Have more characters playable (outside of spinoffs). It's a waste they're not used more, even at least plot-wise. Speed characters can keep the boost while other types of characters can have their own unique move(s). If they somehow get the budget; It would be really cool if we could have games devoted to characters that arn't Sonic. A(nother) game starring Tails especially.
  • Actual stories. Nothing too dark or even deep. Hell, I've always said that the perfect Sonic game IMO would be "Sonic Unleashed but with Sonic Generations' boost/gameplay style." Unleashed's story was simple yet interesting, fun to watch, and had it's serious moments that got me invested and cheering for the characters.
  • Stop the stupid mandates. The Classic characters (Mighty, Ray, Honey, Fang, Bark, etc.) should be allowed in the modern games with modernized designs and the 2 Worlds theory or whatever it's called is stupid. I don't know how to fix the 2 worlds things besides adding the humans back since it nullifies Shadow's whole character not having them (With the Unleashed designs because PLEASE SEGA I BEG YOU THEY WERE SOOO NICE AND DIDN'T MAKE SONIC LOOK OFF STANDING NEXT TO THEM LIKE ADVENTURE AND 06 DID I DON'T CARE IF THEY LOOKED LIKE DISNEY CHARACTERS PLEASEEEE). Speaking of Shadow; as much as I don't like Shadow as a character, they're doing this dude dirty and SEGA knows he has many fans, so why are they turning him into a wal-mart brand Vegeta?
  • Aaaand speaking of character personalities, many of these characters need their personality rerailed. I already mentioned Shadow. Sonic is mostly fine, especially compared to others, but I can see why people arn't fond of how he acts nowadays. The guy's never serious and is non-stop joking machine, making it hard to care about the game/story. I personally I would bring back his Adventure or his Storybook Series personality, where he could be cheesy at times ("Aw yeah, this is happenin'!" and wishing for a mountain of handkerchiefs come to mind) but knew when to get serious and had a very cool, compassionate side to him that showed well (Sonic literally has to do this trial in SATBK with limited time but ditched it to go help one kid out. What a sweetheart.) Anyway, Tails is... Well, the less I think of Tails bending over scared of Chaos (who he fought before, mind you), the better. Other characters I would fix up are Knuckles (dude go make out with your green giant rock wtf are you doing here) and Amy (she's... kinda dull as a character recently? she's way less obsessed with sonic, which isn't a bad thing on paper but it was her whole character, so...)
  • Almost didn't add this but since I remember seeing it complained alot when Sonic Forces released; Less automatic sections unless it's actual worth flexing your graphics/environments. SEGA... We came to play a game, please...

I'd write more but I'm done ranting for now. TL;DR SEGA's doing dumb stuff right now and I can't wait for Sonic Mania 2.
Shadow isnt even Vegeta in modern dragonball he is Cell/early Buu Vegeta

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

Sonic Mania 2 is never happening.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
that just means there are no plans, not that it will never happen

also, source?
Mania was a one time thing. Also, Christian has yet to get contacted again, the Head Canon Devs have said that there were never plans for a Sequel. Only dude who stayed was Tee Lopes and he was an exception lol.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Knowing SEGA, what they'll do is:

From the developers of Sonic Mania...
(Maybe one lead tester and a background artist, and that's it).

Sonic CD 2 (because Sonic 5 would be DOA)

(And it's atrocious)

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Knowing SEGA, what they'll do is:

From the developers of Sonic Mania...
(Maybe one lead tester and a background artist, and that's it).

Sonic CD 2 (because Sonic 5 would be DOA)

(And it's atrocious)
No i know what they would do Sonic 1 Part 2
It fetures Green hill and other Colorful Stages like the original Sonic 1
you see the Colorfull Display here but it has New Features like a Story written by Ken Pontac (i dont know their names and i dont care) and Super Sonic (as Dlc for 5 euro) And Greenhill and Chemical Plant and the Death Egg

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Sonic Forces 2:

90% of the levels are green hill

the levels are designed by a toddler

the story is written to appeal to a toddler

the game introduces a new feature called sonicbot, whenever you want, you can call sonicbot to do the level for you!

playable characters include sonic, classic sonic, boom sonic and sonic's new form, vampire sonic!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Sonic Forces 2:

90% of the levels are green hill

the levels are designed by a toddler

the story is written to appeal to a toddler

the game introduces a new feature called sonicbot, whenever you want, you can call sonicbot to do the level for you!

playable characters include sonic, classic sonic, boom sonic and sonic's new form, vampire sonic!
Yeah no wonder Sega is "nice" (debateable) to their Fans they are Creativly Bankrupt would they have won the Console War they would be like Nintendo!

Top Bottom