• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) What can we do for your donation?!?

For my donation, I want victory. I want Melee at EVO.

I want everyone from the FGC to Nintendo themselves to realize how powerful this game is, even after 11+ years of tournaments.
I want the world to know that this game lives not because of the WiiSports playing Grandmas, the trend gamers, and certainly not the unyielding support of the company that made it.
I want to see the bright-eyed children of 2001 on the grand stage of Evolution 2013; no longer children, but fierce, fiery-eyed competitors.
I want this community's love for the game in numbers. Big ones. Numbers that can't be argued with.
Because most of all: I want to see fighting games truly evolve, and henceforth learn from the things that make Melee so great, just as I feel we've learned from them.

We can still win this, guys. Our numbers and passion are our greatest weapons. Our competition attempts to bury us with boulders. We will bury them in grains of sand.

But win or lose, we treat the results as Smash has taught us to: with no excuses. If we don't win, we didn't want it bad enough. And I for one, am very hungry.

TL;DR
I wanna win, mofos. No Johns. Hunnad dollas.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I've been keeping my eye on the contest and while I haven't pledged my support, I have been on the fence about it but things like:

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I propose that if the Brawl community can donate $5,000, a certain number of the top Melee players have to wear an "I <3 Brawl" shirt to EVO.
I'm not certain whether I should take it as a shot or just a light-hearted joke. I'm having trouble seeing if this is a united Smash community front. I'm a Brawl player by the way.

brdy_

Smash Lord
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I propose that if the Brawl community can donate $5,000, a certain number of the top Melee players have to wear an "I <3 Brawl" shirt to EVO.
This is actually hilarious. Can someone make this happen?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I've been keeping my eye on the contest and while I haven't pledged my support, I have been on the fence about it but things like:

I'm not certain whether I should take it as a shot or just a light-hearted joke. I'm having trouble seeing if this is a united Smash community front. I'm a Brawl player by the way.

I figured it didn't need to be said that this is a united front... Even if, as a Brawl player, you aren't particularly blown away by competitive Melee (be it the scene or the gameplay itself), I'd think supporting the Smash community as a whole would be a no-brainer.

Even if Melee wins instead of Brawl, the smash community overall benefits.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman

It's no secret that many top Melee players aren't exactly fans of Brawl, and that many Brawl players resent comments made by some Melee players about their game. I figured this would be something that Brawl-only fans might actually want, considering it'd be payback in a friendly sort of way for a good cause.

It's a light-hearted joke in that it is a shot, but not how I think you're interpreting it. It's something that most Melee fans wouldn't necessarily want to do, but it'd be funny to see them at the mercy of Brawl players; basically demonstrating they wouldn't be at EVO without them.

Personally, I support Smash in all forms. I don't happen to like to watch or play Brawl, but I do have some fun with doubles.

NNID
dansalvato
Mango, you owe me $45 for having yourself and two friends stay with me one night during APEX. If you pay me, that money will go straight to EVO. :]

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
I'm willing to donate $100+

I want to know when the most advantageous time to do so is. It's so hard to keep up with the amount of information you guys put out. Also, I know I'm like so completely obscure no one really knows me, Prog might from Reddit, but Axe definitely does, we've been friends for a long time.

I want more of a Project M presence at tournaments, Melee-FC10 and BH2 were my favorite tournaments of 2012 for that very reason, and each of those were run on the highly inferior v2.1. I love melee, but with Project M, I'm actually motivated to go out and actually be part of the scene. I was never for the top tier of melee, except Fox is pretty fun.

I'd also pay to have Mango and SFAT team again, FFS that team was the greatest ever. Or else Shroomed and SFAT.

I would say signed objects from my favorite players, but if PM has more of a presence at big tournaments I'd be there to get signatures myself, plus, I'd probably want way too many from you guys.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
OMG, is this a yes?
You see a once pride and great man in front of you, now just a mere shadow of his former self, as an obvious result of the excruciating pain the evil and sadistic man known as "commonyoshi" has subjected the once mighty Mike Swaggar to. The poor creature cringes, twists, turns and cries in pain, as you hear him hiss in a very low and tormented voice:
"Yes...I must... for the love of the community..."

Dax

Smash Journeyman
note: *NOT SURE IF ALREADY POSTED*

A stupid idea I had (but you know, better than say nothing): donate at least 50$, get Mango - if he's up to this - play a couple of serious matches against a Top player on a Stream (if he can arrange one before the 29th) with a character of your choice

anyone could be interested in this?

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
For my donation, I want victory. I want Melee at EVO.

I want everyone from the FGC to Nintendo themselves to realize how powerful this game is, even after 11+ years of tournaments.
I want the world to know that this game lives not because of the WiiSports playing Grandmas, the trend gamers, and certainly not the unyielding support of the company that made it.
I want to see the bright-eyed children of 2001 on the grand stage of Evolution 2013; no longer children, but fierce, fiery-eyed competitors.
I want this community's love for the game in numbers. Big ones. Numbers that can't be argued with.
Because most of all: I want to see fighting games truly evolve, and henceforth learn from the things that make Melee so great, just as I feel we've learned from them.

We can still win this, guys. Our numbers and passion are our greatest weapons. Our competition attempts to bury us with boulders. We will bury them in grains of sand.

But win or lose, we treat the results as Smash has taught us to: with no excuses. If we don't win, we didn't want it bad enough. And I for one, am very hungry.

TL;DR
I wanna win, mofos. No Johns. Hunnad dollas.

I feel exactly the same way

KrIsP!

Smash Champion

How is it a shot? We will get our top players to wear I <3 brawl shirts...what do you guys want? The prizes are there for anyone really.

V-K

Smash Ace
Suggestion: How about all the top Melee players meet up and stream Melee for a day, that could generate some money right?

BathSalts

Smash Rookie
Any official word on the controller giveaway/raffle? I'm waiting on that to donate, I would love anything signed by one of the the elite 5.

What about a signed copy of melee? For $(x) you can send it to someone trustworthy who'll be at a major tourney, they can get all the player sigs you request on it! This would be so ****ing sweet!!!!!

Also I think I remember ken claiming he had controllers on controllers on controllers during the KoC stream, has anyone been in contact with him?

Engo

Smash Ace
Can SSBMO developers offer any incentives?

Also I don't know where else to put this but I have an extra Minecraft account and can raffle that out to anyone who donates $20+ (pretty much the price of the game except you'd be getting it + helping melee out at the same time)and sends me proof of donation. I just thought of this and I'm not sure how interested people are in Minecraft but those of you who are get back to me.

whitemountain123

Smash Cadet
don't know if this is possible, but maybe a few top players who live somewhat close together (socal or norcal come to mind) could run a stream. even if it's just friendlies, i'd definitely donate (and I bet others would too) to see a mango/wes/s2j/lovage stream or ppu/shroomed/sfat stream for example.

strawhats

Smash Master
If mango uses Jiggs in a singles tournament set(s) (Either Genesis 3/EVO) against one of the other top players (PP...Preferably vs PP/Hbox/M2K/KK) I will donate Anywhere between $20-40

ckmadison

Smash Rookie
How about offering lesson/critique for (x)$ donation? (x being whatever you the top players would want)

Like, for example, I'd pay at least 30-50 to get hax or mango critique and give tips on my Falcon, or PP on my Falco, etc. Of course, it'll have to be through video or skype or something

Revven

FrankerZ
How about offering lesson/critique for (x)$ donation? (x being whatever you the top players would want)

Like, for example, I'd pay at least 30-50 to get hax or mango critique and give tips on my Falcon, or PP on my Falco, etc. Of course, it'll have to be through video or skype or something
This is already being offered/planned.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I want to know when the most advantageous time to do so is. It's so hard to keep up with the amount of information you guys put out. Also, I know I'm like so completely obscure no one really knows me, Prog might from Reddit, but Axe definitely does, we've been friends for a long time.

dat lucas.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
It's no secret that many top Melee players aren't exactly fans of Brawl, and that many Brawl players resent comments made by some Melee players about their game. I figured this would be something that Brawl-only fans might actually want, considering it'd be payback in a friendly sort of way for a good cause.

It's a light-hearted joke in that it is a shot, but not how I think you're interpreting it. It's something that most Melee fans wouldn't necessarily want to do, but it'd be funny to see them at the mercy of Brawl players; basically demonstrating they wouldn't be at EVO without them.

Personally, I support Smash in all forms. I don't happen to like to watch or play Brawl, but I do have some fun with doubles.
As a brawl player who follows melee and still plays it for fun on rare occasions I broke out laughing from your joke and the picture of Mango's head photoshopped for that shirt. I actually thought it was beyond brilliant. I don't think it would be something only brawl fans would want though. In fact I could see if someone trustworthy/reliable like Armada, Scar, Hax etc kept track of separate funds/recorded it for say PP, Mango, and Hbox for example where each has their own set donation amount to be forced to wear the shirt, it quickly getting done up to 1-2k per each of those 3 by melee players who might not like one of them. Especially people who got rest killed 4x in a match by HBox for example.

Also I want that Mango/HB Mario/Ness to be a thing.

TL?

Smash Ace
How much would we have to donate for all the top players to show up to evo wearing dresses?

Calabrel

Smash Apprentice
dat lucas.
You definitely made my day with that comment man. I had no idea one of my revered melee heroes, for lack of a better term but it fits, appreciated something I did in the smash community, even if it is just the red-headed stepchild, Project M.

Top Bottom