• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalark

SNORLAX
Same with the Silent Hill series except maybe Silent Hill 2.
Silent Hill 2 is good, but I honestly like the games that focus more on the cult rather than emotional trauma.

I also couldn't get a feel for the Fallout games until Fallout 4. I feel like the writing in 4 is vastly superior to 3 and everyone has more personality and the game became more than just wandering around, helping a random stranger and they go "Oh yeah I got some stuff you can take care of" and then go shoot ghouls or super mutants.
If you have the patience for it, you should try Fallout 2.

I think Persona 4 is extremely cheesy with the whole "power of friendship" trope that often gets shoved down your throat when playing certain modern JRPGs. Even some visual novels. I honestly always hated the trope and always will. Only Undertale got me with that and even then.
If this trope bothers you then you should probably stop playing JRPGs.

Devil May Cry is also fun and I love the music but it's also pretty overrated.
You seem to be throwing this word around a lot. Games can be overrated, but don't let that make you dismiss them.

MGS3 was the best MGS. None of the other games grabbed me as much as 3 did.
They day saying that MGS3 is the best MGS becomes unpopular is the day I eat my entire amiibo collection.

I'm not going to discuss the "censorship" of games as that generally leads to ****slinging and bull****, but you can't take a game and just translate it, language doesn't work that way, nor do cultures. I'm sure someone already explained this on a previous page.

Edit: Found the post!

Honestly, if you believe that localizers are just there to censor a product you really have no understanding of how things work.
Pretty much this. We've already had this entire discussion a few pages ago. Let's not let things get heated again.

Last edited:

SilkaN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilkaN
I'm not going to discuss the "censorship" of games as that generally leads to ****slinging and bull****, but you can't take a game and just translate it, language doesn't work that way, nor do cultures. I'm sure someone already explained this on a previous page.
A direct translation of Japanese text would sound REALLY awkward. That's not what I was talking about, though.
I meant that localization teams (especially 8-4 and Nintendo Treehouse) sometimes rewrite entire dialogues in order to cut certain content out and present us with a messed up and dumbed down translation of certain games (I'm looking at Fire Emblem:Awakening).

Do you honestly believe the games I've mentioned above would cause a big backlash if they were released in their untouched state over here?

Edit:

Thanks for taking the time to search for a post, but as I've mentioned before, I don't expect localization teams to provide us with a word by word translation. I, however, expect them to not cut any content out of the dialoges or change certain characters' behavior.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I actually like NOA's translation of FE Awakening. Some things were changed, but I personally find the script to be much more entertaining than the original Japanese, which is kinda bland IMO.

Oh course, I'm going off of fan translations here. My Japanese is barely tourist level so I can't say I've read it in Japanese or anything.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
A direct translation of Japanese text would sound REALLY awkward. That's not what I was talking about, though.
I meant that localization teams (especially 8-4 and Nintendo Treehouse) sometimes rewrite entire dialogues in order to cut certain content out and present us with a messed up and dumbed down translation in certain games (I'm looking at Fire Emblem:Awakening).

Do you honestly believe the games I've mentioned above would cause a big backlash if they were released in their untouched state over here?
I haven't played Awakening (or any FE for that matter) so I apologize, I didn't know. I'm also not too sure of what localization changes were made for XBCX aside from aging up the characters, removing the bikini "armor", and removing boob sliders. Personally I don't think removing the slider was a good move cause more customization is nice and I like big boobs, but the bikini armor was stupid and thankfully was removed and aging up the characters really isn't all that big a deal. Yeah, bring up your censorship bingo whatever, I don't care.

SilkaN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilkaN
I haven't played Awakening (or any FE for that matter) so I apologize, I didn't know. I'm also not too sure of what localization changes were made for XBCX aside from aging up the characters, removing the bikini "armor", and removing boob sliders. Personally I don't think removing the slider was a good move cause more customization is nice and I like big boobs, but the bikini armor was stupid and thankfully was removed and aging up the characters really isn't all that big a deal. Yeah, bring up your censorship bingo whatever, I don't care.
I can only hope that you're not one of these utterly bright people that think enemies of this kind of censorship only want to jerk off to fictional characters in bikini armor.
Let's say they would have kept the original design. Would this have changed your opinion about the game? If yes, you're as clever as all the idiots who just cancelled their pre orders of the game. You would have shrugged it off and played the game anyway.
Just like the folks who think censorship is not an important matter.
The only difference is that in this fictional case, the game wouldn't be censored.

Look, I am not trying to insult anyone and I apologize if my words are full of salt, but whenever I see someone who is trying to defend such redundant censorship just because they think their opinion is absolute, I have to respond like this.

Censorship is not something that should be supported. Especially not in this case. Nintendo isn't making any remarkable profit by lowering the age ratings on niche games that are targeted at a very specific audience.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I can only hope that you're not one of these utterly bright people that think enemies of this kind of censorship only want to jerk off to fictional characters in bikini armor.
Let's say they would have kept the original design. Would this have changed your opinion about the game? If yes, you're as clever as all the idiots who just cancelled their pre orders of the game. You would have shrugged it off and played the game anyway.
The only difference is that in this fictional case, the game wouldn't be censored.

Look, I am not trying to insult anyone and I apologize if my words are full of salt, but whenever I see someone who is trying to defend such redundant censorship just because they think their opinion is absolute, I have to respond like this.
You can try, but some people are impervious to logic. The way this thread usually goes, Kurri makes me hate her even more mostly by both refusing to see the gray area and insisting that she's right even when thoroughly defeated, Kim comes in and sounds reasonable but refuses to debate anyone she might lose to, and Finalark is sometimes really based but usually a slightly more reasonable version of Kim that occasionally concedes a few points (which I guess makes him head and shoulders better than the other two).

To any lurkers, go meet Smashers IRL. Most of us are pretty legit. I have no idea how a board for competitive Smashers got so stuffed with casual Smashers, casual gamers and SJWs.

Just today, we can mark off N1, G2, and N3.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Censorship is not something that should be supported. Especially not in this case. Nintendo isn't making any remarkable profit by lowering the age ratings on niche games that are targeted at a very specific audience.
it's called marketability. You'd be surprised how many more people would buy it for changes like this. Not all regions have the same views on things

You can try, but some people are impervious to logic. The way this thread usually goes, Kurri makes me hate her even more mostly by both refusing to see the gray area and insisting that she's right even when thoroughly defeated, Kim comes in and sounds reasonable but refuses to debate anyone she might lose to, and Finalark is sometimes really based but usually a slightly more reasonable version of Kim that occasionally concedes a few points (which I guess makes him head and shoulders better than the other two).

To any lurkers, go meet Smashers IRL. Most of us are pretty legit. I have no idea how a board for competitive Smashers got so stuffed with casual Smashers, casual gamers and SJWs.

Boy this is one salty comment.

Anyways, how bout an unpopular opinion. Sonic Unleashed > Sonic Adventure 2.

Last edited:
I know, man. Anyone who isn't 100% down with 13-year-old characters in skimpy armor isn't worth talking to, really.

I'm not saying censorship is great, nor do I approve of everything 8-4/NoA has put out, but like, pick your battles.

finalark

SNORLAX

Anyways, how bout an unpopular opinion. Sonic Unleashed > Sonic Adventure 2.
You wanna back that up with some points?

And here's one of my unpopular opinions: Anyone who thinks early FPS were about running through corridors shooting everything in sight didn't play very many early FPS. That sort of style didn't become popular until the late 90s.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You wanna back that up with some points?
Sure. Let me preface this by saying I don't think SA2 is an unenjoyable game but that I've found more enjoyment elsewhere. To me, Sonic Unleashed takes the best part of Adventure 2 (the action stages, and primarily Sonic's as I find Shadow's were not as well done), and makes it half the game rather than approx. 1/6th of it. And while I feel it could've been done way better, or just taken out entirely (thank you Colors and Generations), the Werehog moments weren't all that bad imo. They dragged on for a hell of a long time, I remember Mazuri taking me nearly an 20min, but once I got into the swing of things they turned out to be enjoyable.

Then there's the music which I feel was done with utmost care in Unleashed. The music actually fit the stages unlike SA2 where music simply fit the characters.

And lastly, I felt the story was handled better, it was simple, but not too simple, but also didn't go totally extreme like Adventure 2 tried.

I also think SA1 > SA2 for similar reasons. The other characters, while not as fun, were more enjoyable than their Adventure 2 counterparts (especially Knuckles, hunting took a huge nerf in SA2). Music fit the stages and were more varied. Story was simplier but not too simple.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sure. Let me preface this by saying I don't think SA2 is an unenjoyable game but that I've found more enjoyment elsewhere. To me, Sonic Unleashed takes the best part of Adventure 2 (the action stages, and primarily Sonic's as I find Shadow's were not as well done), and makes it half the game rather than approx. 1/6th of it. And while I feel it could've been done way better, or just taken out entirely (thank you Colors and Generations), the Werehog moments weren't all that bad imo. They dragged on for a hell of a long time, I remember Mazuri taking me nearly an 20min, but once I got into the swing of things they turned out to be enjoyable.
I will agree that the werehog game play wasn't all that bad, but I personally couldn't get into the boost game play until Colors. Unleash's take on it was just too wild and unrefined for me. I remember dying a lot because I just couldn't get to grips with the game play.

And lastly, I felt the story was handled better, it was simple, but not too simple, but also didn't go totally extreme like Adventure 2 tried.
I feel like Shadow really makes SA2's story not hold up. The guy is just such a relic of the 2000s. Whose presence ends up shoehorning a lot of "grimdark" nonsense into the story because hey, that's what was considered cool and edgy back then.

I also think SA1 > SA2 for similar reasons. The other characters, while not as fun, were more enjoyable than their Adventure 2 counterparts (especially Knuckles, hunting took a huge nerf in SA2). Music fit the stages and were more varied. Story was simplier but not too simple.
I feel like I'd probably like SA1 more than 2 if it wasn't for the fact that you could break SA1's engine by spin dashing and the sheer amount of corning cutting in the game.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I will agree that the werehog game play wasn't all that bad, but I personally couldn't get into the boost game play until Colors. Unleash's take on it was just too wild and unrefined for me. I remember dying a lot because I just couldn't get to grips with the game play.

I feel like Shadow really makes SA2's story not hold up. The guy is just such a relic of the 2000s. Whose presence ends up shoehorning a lot of "grimdark" nonsense into the story because hey, that's what was considered cool and edgy back then.

I feel like I'd probably like SA1 more than 2 if it wasn't for the fact that you could break SA1's engine by spin dashing and the sheer amount of corning cutting in the game.
I feel the spindashing is one of the best parts. SA2 really nerfed it by making somersault the same button

Minato

穏やかじゃない

Let's try to not make this thread feel hostile, please. I don't mind the censorship talk, but if we're going to discuss topics that people feel strongly for, let's keep it about the topics and not about the members.

For the XCX topic, I can't remember I posted about it here, maybe I did. I think removing the breast slider was a dumb move. Sure max setting looked awkward, but this is an avatar. I don't agree that there should've been just one body type for it, but that's just my opinion. The bikini armor was really weird looking. I prefer them not removing/replacing content if they can, but I didn't care for the armor either. I'm more annoyed by what they did with Fatal Frame than XCX's.

And as for localization, Treehouse localizations can be weird (8-4 is great). The thing that gets most notice is the amount of memes that they'll insert for the dialogue. I don't know how frequent they do it, but it's so weird how we'll have it in the US version while the separate EU localized version won't

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Pokemon is stale and meh

Pretty sure most Pokemon fans can agree that Pokemon's formula is stale. No point in denying that. Sure you can say that Pokemon's gameplay is 'stale and meh' but it doesn't mean that people can't enjoy it.
I would prefer another story-driven game like the console RPGs (Colosseum and Gale of Darkness).
cough Pokemon BW/2 and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games cough
Mega Evolution is also dumb and poorly-executed
And the reason is because..?
MGS3 was the best MGS. None of the other games grabbed me as much as 3 did.
The day that people say that MGS3 isn't the most popular/best MGS game is the day where I beat ZeRo in a Smash 4 tournament.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice

:salt::salt::salt:
Wow this thread has exploded since I've stopped looking at it.

Anyways why is Shovel Knight regarded as the god of all bloody video games?

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, not that far. I picked it up in a Steam sale a long time ago and didn't get around to playing it until recently. It's fun, but it's not at the top of my "must play" list.
I've got it on Steam and PS4 (it was a free PS Plus game) and the content is the same but the PS4 is a lot more enjoyable.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think saying that Shovel Knight is regarded as the god of all video games is as much of an exaggeration as saying it's the god of all video games.

Worth noting is that the game came out in 2014, a year that may very well go down in history as "The Year of Broken, Mediocre Video Games".

Considering Shovel Knight is neither broken or mediocre, it makes sense the game got a lot of praise last year.

I played it and I think it's great, but at the same time, pretty much everything about it played to my liking.

Last edited:

Silent Phoenix

Smash Rookie
NNID
Silentphoenix199

Pretty sure most Pokemon fans can agree that Pokemon's formula is stale. No point in denying that. Sure you can say that Pokemon's gameplay is 'stale and meh' but it doesn't mean that people can't enjoy it.

cough Pokemon BW/2 and the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games cough

And the reason is because..?
I'm just personally tired of the formula of the main games. I should've clarified that I'm fine with Mystery Dungeon since it has nothing to do with getting the 8 badges. I'm even thinking of checking out Super Mystery Dungeon sometime. And I never said people weren't allowed to enjoy it. It's all personal opinions and I just felt like sharing mine. I'm not one of those people who will dismiss someone or try to "convert" them just because they like/dislike certain games.

And idk mega evolutions just feel unnecessary and I feel like the cooldown should be way longer on it like every other JRPG does with their limit break systems. I know Pokemon is a bit different but imagine in Final Fantasy IX if you could just cheese your way through every battle by immediately entering trance mode the entire time.

I think if I'm going to give any recent main pokemon game a chance, it's going to be one of the B/W games. I like what they did with the boss battles and attempting to become more story-driven.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
The ridiculous amount of praise Shovel Knight gets almost makes me tempted to get it.
Except it's gonna be very hard to stay impartial to it, especially since I can't help but predict a scenario like the one with me and LoZ happening again.

Silent Phoenix

Smash Rookie
NNID
Silentphoenix199
Silent Hill 2 is good, but I honestly like the games that focus more on the cult rather than emotional trauma.

If you have the patience for it, you should try Fallout 2.

If this trope bothers you then you should probably stop playing JRPGs.

You seem to be throwing this word around a lot. Games can be overrated, but don't let that make you dismiss them.

They day saying that MGS3 is the best MGS becomes unpopular is the day I eat my entire amiibo collection.
Silent Hill 2 and 3 are objectively the best ones. Not even just in terms of story but gameplay too.

I do have Fallout 2 in my library on both GoG and Steam actually. Maybe I'll install it via GoG before I have to move to my new house (idk how compatible it is with Win10).

Surprisingly I've seen quite a few JRPGs that don't follow the trope as closely. Honestly it's mostly Persona and Kingdom Hearts that attempt to shove it in your face than anything.
I guess you can classify Nier as a JRPG. And I feel like most of the FF games don't really do it either. Sure at the end of most of them you pull an all-out attack at the villain's base, but I don't feel like it's centered around that trope at all. Stuff like that seems like it'd be a group effort regardless. So you can definitely find ones that fit within my criteria just you have to actually look around to find them.

I should give DMC a bit more credit where it's due. I should've said it doesn't hold up nearly as much as other hack n' slash games in terms of story and gameplay but that it is the first of its kind and is what started the entire genre. Now God of War on the other hand...and nah I do enjoy quite a few of these games, just I feel like they get a little bit more praise than they should.

I keep forgetting that MGS3 being the best is the general consensus among fans. And I hope that never ever changes. EVER

finalark

SNORLAX
The ridiculous amount of praise Shovel Knight gets almost makes me tempted to get it.
Except it's gonna be very hard to stay impartial to it, especially since I can't help but predict a scenario like the one with me and LoZ happening again.
Ignore hype and go into games with an open mind. Truly I say unto you that your enjoyment of them will grow tenfold.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
That's what I usually try to do, but since people are quick to join bandwagons and shout "BEST GAME EVER" at the game that's currently popular, it's hard not to grow some expectation.
That's if I ever try playing it, though. Who knows, maybe I'll end up playing it when the hype for that game has completely disappeared.

I do have Fallout 2 in my library on both GoG and Steam actually. Maybe I'll install it via GoG before I have to move to my new house (idk how compatible it is with Win10).
I've been replaying the first couple games lately. GOG is all about going back and making old games work with new systems, but I think Bethesda did some work to them once the publishing rights transferred over.

If you get around to playing 2, I strongly recommend installing Killap's restoration patch. It fixes some bugs, and restores a ton of content that was cut or unfinished. It makes the game a lot better.

I keep forgetting that MGS3 being the best is the general consensus among fans. And I hope that never ever changes. EVER
B-but... MGS2...

METANARRATIVE

:snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake::snake:

Last edited:

Silent Phoenix

Smash Rookie
NNID
Silentphoenix199
That's what I usually try to do, but since people are quick to join bandwagons and shout "BEST GAME EVER" at the game that's currently popular, it's hard not to grow some expectation.
That's if I ever try playing it, though. Who knows, maybe I'll end up playing it when the hype for that game has completely disappeared.
Usually whenever I see a game getting massive amounts of hype I usually try it out (via renting or somehow obtaining the game for free. Feel free to interpret that last bit however you want) to see what the hype is about. I did that with Fallout 4 and it worked out fine. At first I wasn't seeing it like Fallout 3 and New Vegas but after I got into the settlement system and got a bit further into the main story (and romancing Piper <3) it easily became one of my favorite games this gen.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Usually whenever I see a game getting massive amounts of hype I usually try it out (via renting or somehow obtaining the game for free. Feel free to interpret that last bit however you want) to see what the hype is about. I did that with Fallout 4 and it worked out fine. At first I wasn't seeing it like Fallout 3 and New Vegas but after I got into the settlement system and got a bit further into the main story (and romancing Piper <3) it easily became one of my favorite games this gen.
+1 for solid advice. I've discovered several awesome games/series through, err... Slightly less than legal methods (as, let's be real, we all have in 2015). Copying is not theft, nor does it equate to lost sales.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Can we move away from the piracy discussion? Not only is it in a gray area when it comes to forum rules but given the very nature of the topic I don't see a healthy conversation happening.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm enjoying my Xbox One but I hate how everything needs to be installed.

It's so much waiting when you get a new game. But I do love the faster load times and how you can get back into a game after shutting it down

Just so much crazy stuff. I guess simplicity with games is kinda leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom