• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalark

SNORLAX
I miss that simplicity when it came to older consoles. I love how you used to be able to slap a disc in, close the lid and press the on button and you'd be good to go.

These days you can't play a new game without having to wade through twenty minutes of set up first.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I miss that simplicity when it came to older consoles. I love how you used to be able to slap a disc in, close the lid and press the on button and you'd be good to go.

These days you can't play a new game without having to wade through twenty minutes of set up first.

Especially when it has a massive patch and you buy it much later so installation last almost 4 hours

(I'm looking at you Mortal Kombat X)

Especially when it has a massive patch and you buy it much later so installation last almost 4 hours

(I'm looking at you Mortal Kombat X)
Yeah, but at least games these days usually get like, some form of post-release support.

Usually.

I'm looking at you, Arkham Knight.

Don't you walk away from me.

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
I've been studying processor design lately for a class in college. As a pet project, I'm trying to develop a specification for a tiny little 16-bit console of the cartridge type, for the purposes of "emulation", because I'm shameless retrocomputing trash. There's a lot to be said for simplicity in games on the consumer end, but there's also a lot that's appealing about developing for simpler consoles.

...It has occurred to me that I have really weird hobbies.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Pikmin 3 was a good game, but having three captains felt like too much. I'd often have two captains doing something but then I see the third one is being useless so I make him do something in an attempt to be 'productive.' In the time it takes me to switch between all three and delegate some task to useless #3, I would probably have been better off leaving #3 to chill at the onion instead of trying to do something with him. Also, the game was ridiculously short. Even Pikmin 1 felt a more appropriate length than this game (just so you know it's not just the lack of caves). And the weird half completion of the story wasn't nice. Pikmin is sort of an inherently mysterious series where more questions are raised than answered, but Pikmin 3 felt like it was going to legitimately focus on the story with all this build-up to Captain Olimar's fate and Louie's suspicious behavior in the whole deal... but instead it turns out Louie is just really quiet and really useless and also the Plasm Wraith kidnapped Olimar for no real reason with no hint as to why this happened. I know it's teasing for a Pikmin 4, but it felt lame.

In theory, I feel like I should hate turn-based JRPGs, because the turn-based battle system can be boring and tedious, grinding (which many of them basically require you to do) is mind-numbing, I often actively avoid battles... yet time and time again, I find myself loving turn-based JRPGs. I don't even know if I can say it's the story that attracts me because I love Pokemon, and I've loved Pokemon since the first generations where the story was "get badges also sometimes Team Rocket does a thing."

UNDERTALE IS THE BEST GAME OF THE YEAR, NAY, THE PAST 100 YEARS, AND FUTURE GENERATIONS WILL CAREFULLY STUDY EACH LINE OF TEXT IN HOPES OF UNDERSTANDING THE UNIVERSE

Nah, I don't really feel that way. :troll: I loved Undertale, and I agree it's a game that you must play to understand the hype (not agree with it, but simply understand it). Watching an LP or reading about it is the worst way to go around things, because (a) you miss out on the unique mechanics and (b) you get spoiled so that even if you do play it, you've basically seen all the twists. I can't imagine some of the stuff that happens
like Flowey forcing your window shut
being anywhere near as shocking if you're not "behind the wheel", so to speak.

I do think fans oversing its praises, as fans are wont to do. The writing is good and the characters are charming, but very few of the characters are really deep. Most are sort of unashamedly shallow. The gameplay is neat, the bullet hell mechanics are certainly a unique twist on live action RPG combat, but I can't particularly say that I enjoy getting into battles. Not that I do with any turn-based RPG except, maybe, Paper Mario. I really wonder how people will look at this game, say, a year from now, when the novelty is gone. I don't know if I can say that it will stand the test of time or anything, but I do think it's a solid game and does some very interesting things which, for the sake of those who haven't played, I won't explain.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Pikmin 3 was a good game, but having three captains felt like too much. I'd often have two captains doing something but then I see the third one is being useless so I make him do something in an attempt to be 'productive.' In the time it takes me to switch between all three and delegate some task to useless #3, I would probably have been better off leaving #3 to chill at the onion instead of trying to do something with him. Also, the game was ridiculously short. Even Pikmin 1 felt a more appropriate length than this game (just so you know it's not just the lack of caves). And the weird half completion of the story wasn't nice. Pikmin is sort of an inherently mysterious series where more questions are raised than answered, but Pikmin 3 felt like it was going to legitimately focus on the story with all this build-up to Captain Olimar's fate and Louie's suspicious behavior in the whole deal... but instead it turns out Louie is just really quiet and really useless and also the Plasm Wraith kidnapped Olimar for no real reason with no hint as to why this happened. I know it's teasing for a Pikmin 4, but it felt lame.
I do agree that Pikmin 3 is a good Pikmin game. Not great than Pikmin 1, not better than Pikmin 2. Three captains in a game is fine as long you are planning of what to do for a day. Although I'm glad the game let me track captains and I can let them go where I want to.

I also do agree that the second half of the game is pretty lame when Olimar and mostly Louie are more focused because apparently the President want both of the captains (despite having more Pokos that he and Olimar have) to get more treasures and go back to the Pikmin planet between the 2 and the 3. This goes bad news when the Mireclop destroy the Hocotate ship in GoH and it cause Louie and Olimar to get stranded once again. This time without finding the pikmin which gets worse when Olimar gets caught from the "giant thing from nowhere" and let Louie run away on its own. We don't know what that "giant thing from nowhere" is about and why it came to the Pikmin planet (other than that Japanese mythology thing).

It would been better if the story focused more of the Koppaite situation instead. It would also be better if the fifth area would be a desert place like Australia than the giant oak. I wish we could have three area (making the game have 8 than 5) and have 200 fruits than the literal 66. We literally explore half of the Pikmin planet but never get the chance to explore the other half of it which I assume there should be 3 areas up there. If Pikmin 2 can make the game longer despite the console limitation, then Pikmin 3 should have the same thing too.
Anyway, I really hope Pikmin 4 would be much longer like Pikmin 2 and that the game need at least 6-8 areas.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Megaman 6 was the best megaman. I honestly get a lot of hate for this one simply because it isn't megaman 2, and honestly not many people have even played it.

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
Megaman 6 was the best megaman. I honestly get a lot of hate for this one simply because it isn't megaman 2, and honestly not many people have even played it.
If it's any consolation, the Game Grumps' playthrough of MM6 is one of their best in my opinion.

Mitsu

Smash Rookie
I don't understand and am honestly tired with all this hatred against Teemo in League of Legends. Come on he isn't the worst character in the game by far. I use to play a lot with a friend of mine who is main teemo, people just either go rage/troll/afk when he locks while he's very good and can carry as much as any other champ...

PEOPLE STOP HATE, LOVE THE SCOUT

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
I don't understand and am honestly tired with all this hatred against Teemo in League of Legends. Come on he isn't the worst character in the game by far. I use to play a lot with a friend of mine who is main teemo, people just either go rage/troll/afk when he locks while he's very good and can carry as much as any other champ...

PEOPLE STOP HATE, LOVE THE SCOUT
Is it just me, or do people who play League tend to get extraordinarily mad about League? I know a couple people who play it and they never seem to talk about it as though they're having fun.

Is it just me, or do people who play League tend to get extraordinarily mad about League? I know a couple people who play it and they never seem to talk about it as though they're having fun.
There is no fun in MOBAs.

Only angry Russians.

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
Not sure how unpopular any of these are, but... I enjoy all the Pokémon games, even the newer ones, even the older ones. I think HeartGold and SoulSilver are the best entries to date in the franchise, and I would kill for a Gen 2 remake with Gen 6 features like Amie and Wonder Trading.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Mega Man 2 is one of the most notable games in the series, there's no denying that, but I consider other games in the series better than it as well. Like MM3, 7 and 8 for instance.

Not sure how unpopular any of these are, but... I enjoy all the Pokémon games, even the newer ones, even the older ones. I think HeartGold and SoulSilver are the best entries to date in the franchise, and I would kill for a Gen 2 remake with Gen 6 features like Amie and Wonder Trading.
Yep. 2nd Generation is dope.

finalark

SNORLAX
The fact that we haven't had auto-run in a Pokemon game since is ridiculous.

EDIT: Well, X/Y had those snazzy roller skates which were effectively the same thing. Then they got rid of them for the R/S remakes.

What's with the Pokemon series and dropping good features between games?

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

EDIT: Well, X/Y had those snazzy roller skates which were effectively the same thing. Then they got rid of them for the R/S remakes.

I'm assuming it's out of a paranoia that the previous games will become obsolete (and thus less income). So they throw the baby out of the bathwater and go on to next kid.

It's worked for Sonic.

finalark

SNORLAX
MOBAs are good but should really massive amounts of money be at stake playing these?
Well, the bigger a tournament is the bigger the prize.

And MOBAs tend to be huge for some unfathomable reason.

I really don't have anything against MOBAs (I actually like Heroes of the Storm, probably because nostalgia) but I just cannot for the life of me find the appeal in them. They're just not that fun to me.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I would say the multiplayer. And when you have a popular game that thrives on having a community a fanbase it's not only imminent, but vital.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace

Guess they're afraid of added features that actually work, so they pull a Sonic and dropped a feature for the next game. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have another unpopular opinion (not too sure if it is, though). I think indie games offer a lot more compare to AAA games. Sure there's a few exceptions, but I still find indie games to be better than games made by a much bigger company. You don't know how unimpressed I get whenever I play a game from a AAA company these days.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Guess they're afraid of added features that actually work, so they pull a Sonic and dropped a feature for the next game. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have another unpopular opinion (not too sure if it is, though). I think indie games offer a lot more compare to AAA games. Sure there's a few exceptions, but I still find indie games to be better than games made by a much bigger company. You don't know how unimpressed I get whenever I play a game from a AAA company these days.
For me, it's honestly just how good the game is. I'm usually not interested in who created the game, as long as it is good. As much as I hate Sega, I can't deny that Sonic 2 and 3 were very fun for me.

finalark

SNORLAX
For me, it's honestly just how good the game is. I'm usually not interested in who created the game, as long as it is good. As much as I hate Sega, I can't deny that Sonic 2 and 3 were very fun for me.
Sega's made a lot of good games, despite their many, many blunders.

While yes, the Sonic series in the 2000s was of questionable quality most of their other games were as top-notch as ever. Hell, I'd even argue that the Sonic games made in the 10s were all good until Boom.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Same here. If a game is good, a game is good.

Emojination

Smash Rookie
The only good Pokemon game was Pokemon snap, the rest are trash tier.

Fight me on this, you'll lose.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
Sonic Adventure games are GOAT.

Fallout 4 isn't anywhere near as good as New Vegas, or 2 and 1.

Morrowind is better than Oblivion and Skyrim combined.

Gone Home absolutely sucks and so does Her Story.

Dragon Age Inquisition is also a travesty with poor character characterization.

I could keep going but I think those are some good ones that always get people riled up when I talk about it. I can give reasons as to why if someone is interested ofc.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
Everybody and their mother loves Sonic Adventure.

This a thread for opinions, not blatant facts.
haha not ever since Egoraptor told everyone it sucked and he said that as well about Ocarina of Time.

Also I wish you would see the looks I get sometimes. :chuckle:

finalark

SNORLAX
Nostalgia harder. Everyone knows the best Elder Scrolls game is Daggerfall.

But for reals, I don't think I'd call that an unpopular opinion among hardcore TES fans. Maybe for certain kinds of people who know what a Skyrim is but have no idea what an Elder Scrolls is.

That being said, as a hardcore TES whose been playing since TES2 my counter unpopular opinion is that TES3 has aged like crap. So has TES4 and TES5 will have also aged like crap by the time TES6 comes out.

K.

I have fun when I'm playing most of the main series Pokemon games. I don't have fun when I'm playing Snap.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
So saying a game sucks makes it suck?

....I was not aware.:troll:
According to his millions of followers, yes. Haha.

Nostalgia harder. Everyone knows the best Elder Scrolls game is Daggerfall.

But for reals, I don't think I'd call that an unpopular opinion among hardcore TES fans. Maybe for certain kinds of people who know what a Skyrim is but have no idea what an Elder Scrolls is.

That being said, as a hardcore TES whose been playing since TES2 my counter unpopular opinion is that TES3 has aged like crap. So has TES4 and TES5 will have also aged like crap by the time TES6 comes out.
Thing is it's not Elder Scrolls anymore. It's Skyrim. I know no one who knows what Morrowind is.

Your opinion is wrong fight me.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Thing is it's not Elder Scrolls anymore. It's Skyrim. I know no one who knows what Morrowind is.

Your opinion is wrong fight me.
I can tell this is going to be a fruitful discussion.

Did you know? Back in 2002 when Morrowind was released on the original Xbox it was considered a dumb-down casualized POS by fans of the first two games in part due to the new fans that it brought in who had no idea what an Elder Scrolls is but loved Morrowind.

Did you know? Back in 2006 when Oblivion was released on the Xbox 360 it was considered a dumb-down casualized POS by fans of the first two games and the third in part due to the new fans that it brought in who had no idea what an Elder Scrolls is but loved Oblivion.

Besides, do you know what Arena is? Daggerfall? Redguard? Battlespire?

It's an endless cycle. But that's alright. For me personally, each new Elder Scrolls game is a fantastic experience that's always better then the last. I love the improvements made to the game play in each title, even if there's a few sadly lost features along the way. And that's the thing with TES, its a series that keeps getting better and better, even if it occasionally stumbles.

Besides, if you want to find people who know about the other TES games I suggest finding online communities for it and ignoring people who are only caught up in the mainstream.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
I can tell this is going to be a fruitful discussion.

Did you know? Back in 2002 when Morrowind was released on the original Xbox it was considered a dumb-down casualized POS by fans of the first two games in part due to the new fans that it brought in who had no idea what an Elder Scrolls is but loved Morrowind.

Did you know? Back in 2006 when Oblivion was released on the Xbox 360 it was considered a dumb-down casualized POS by fans of the first two games and the third in part due to the new fans that it brought in who had no idea what an Elder Scrolls is but loved Oblivion.

Besides, do you know what Arena is? Daggerfall? Redguard? Battlespire?

It's an endless cycle. But that's alright. For me personally, each new Elder Scrolls game is a fantastic experience that's always better then the last. I love the improvements made to the game play in each title, even if there's a few sadly lost features along the way. And that's the thing with TES, its a series that keeps getting better and better, even if it occasionally stumbles.

Besides, if you want to find people who know about the other TES games I suggest finding online communities for it and ignoring people who are only caught up in the mainstream.
Of course I know, I've played them all man. Like I understand where you're coming from ya know, but still I will fight you! :demon: morrowind is GOTYAY

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
haha not ever since Egoraptor told everyone it sucked and he said that as well about Ocarina of Time.

Also I wish you would see the looks I get sometimes. :chuckle:
That was ProJared. Not sure about Ocarina of Time though.

But it's not like he doesn't have a point. SA2 really isn't all that it's cracked up to be and pales in comparison to SA1's better levels, better music, better gameplay, and better story. Course I say this having only played SADX and not the original on Dreamcast, but iirc aside from graphics not much has changed.

Haven't played Morrowind, but the stories I've read of people's playthroughs convince me. Too bad the gameplay is wonky as ****

Gone Home absolutely sucks and so does Her Story.
I'm sorry what are those?
Dragon Age Inquisition is also a travesty with poor character characterization.
I got bored with the game within an hour. It's still installed on my computer cause I can't be bothered to open up origin unless I'm playing Battlefield.

I could keep going but I think those are some good ones that always get people riled up when I talk about it. I can give reasons as to why if someone is interested ofc.
Keep going, my jimmies are still unrustled.

finalark

SNORLAX
Haven't played Morrowind, but the stories I've read of people's playthroughs convince me. Too bad the gameplay is wonky as ****
Morrowind is actually a pretty rad game if you can get past the jank and just how dated it is.

But whoooooboy is the jank real. I am so glad that block chance is gone.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Morrowind is actually a pretty rad game if you can get past the jank and just how dated it is.

But whoooooboy is the jank real. I am so glad that block chance is gone.
block chance in a real-time 3D game just sounds janky. You see your sword slice through, but nope, it apparently missed even it clearly cut through them.

finalark

SNORLAX
block chance in a real-time 3D game just sounds janky. You see your sword slice through, but nope, it apparently missed even it clearly cut through them.
You don't even know. Half the time I can never tell if I'm actually hitting or hurting the enemies I'm attacking.

Morrowind is one of those games I have a ton of nostalgia for and lots of great stories about. But whenever I go back to revisit it, it only takes about ten minutes for me to remember how dated, cumbersome, janky, unappealing and not fun the game really is.

Which is a real shame, since it was pretty mind blowing back in 2002. I feel like its one of those games you have to have played back when it first came out to really appreciate.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace

Pokemon Snap is good for a spin-off, but I wouldn't say it's as fun as the main games and the PMD series.

But it's not like he doesn't have a point. SA2 really isn't all that it's cracked up to be and pales in comparison to SA1's better levels, better music, better gameplay, and better story. Course I say this having only played SADX and not the original on Dreamcast, but iirc aside from graphics not much has changed.
I remember first buying SA2B on the GCN years ago and I remember being a little optimistic about it due to hearing a lot of good things about it. Unfortunately, it wasn't all that's cracked up to be. Despite having its fair share of issues, I thought the first Adventure was leagues better than the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom