• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

This one's interesting. Why do you like the Tiki Tak Tribe? I certainly don't hate them, but I thought the Kremlings had a little more charm to them. Flying drums just aren't quite the same as giant bees, and those penguins have nothing on Gnawty.

I do like the new bosses more, though, generally speaking.
Part of it was the bosses they possessed, but the other part was that they were pretty amusing as punching bags for Donkey Kong.

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
For Nintendo games:

Xenoblade Chronicles is tedious and annoying. Why can't they shut up?

Paper Mario: Sticker Star isn't that bad, but if they had Bowser retain his personality, people might've looked over the level-based format of the gambased
Xenoblade's tedious and annoying, but Sticker Star isn't that bad? Opinions and all, but, um...

...Huh.

Last edited:

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
.M&L partners in time was an amazing game.
. Mario sunshine was the worst 3d mario game.
. Clones are good in smash bros.
. Zelda puzzles some times don't make sense to me.
. Mega man games are too tedious and the games are annoying at times.
. Pokemon seems to be getting bland. (I still got Y and alpha sapphire but the next game has to be WAYYYYY better to change my opinion).
. SHANTAE FOR SMASH!
. The gamepad is THE BEST for smash 4.
. Chrom deserved to be in smash 4 rather than lucina.
. Splatoon only has like 5 good weapons that EVERYONE should use.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
.M&L partners in time was an amazing game.
. Mario sunshine was the worst 3d mario game.
. Pokemon seems to be getting bland. (I still got Y and alpha sapphire but the next game has to be WAYYYYY better to change my opinion).
I don't think it's remotely unpopular to say that Sunshine is the worst 3D Mario. It might be unpopular to say it was bad, but not to say it's worse than 64, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2.

Pokemon has definitely been stagnating for awhile. I still buy them because I know what I'm getting and I'm fine with it, but I'll admit I'm rewarding a very conservative development cycle.

. Clones are good in smash bros.
. Chrom deserved to be in smash 4 rather than lucina.
lol

finalark

SNORLAX
I think X/Y are perfectly good games in their own right, but their biggest problem is that they came right after B/W.

The way I see it, X/Y had some of the best game play the series has ever seen. However, B/W's ambition, willingness to play with so many series traditions, and ability to come together so well as an overall package set the bar pretty damn high for X/Y. I feel like X/Y's "a third of revisiting gen 1, a third of fan pandering and a third trying new things" approach just wasn't a winning solution.

Not to mention returning to a goofy, simplistic story just wasn't going to cut it after B/W went the extra mile and really put effort into it's narrative.

Twewy

Smash Lord
As a guy who practices writing, I don't think story is all that important for a game. It's nice to have a good one and to have a motive for the characters, but pushing a 2deep4kidwhocan'tswim story in something like a simple platformer is ********.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
As a guy who practices writing, I don't think story is all that important for a game. It's nice to have a good one and to have a motive for the characters, but pushing a 2deep4kidwhocan'tswim story in something like a simple platform is ********.
I feel like a good story in a game is more like a tasty spice added to an already delicious meal. It's not necessary, but it's nice when its there. On that same note, I'll add that said tasty spice doesn't go well with every meal and that too much of it can ruin an otherwise fine dish. This is why I don't like eating playing the Metal Gear games as much as I used to.

I also think it's kind of dumb to judge a game based on its story since if you don't like it in most games its perfectly skippable. And most games aren't really about story anyway.

EDIT: Christ, I'm hungry right now.

Last edited:

CrackaaJack

Smash Cadet
Is that unpopular? I haven't kept track of the series since Platinum, but I always understood both Black/White games as being good.
No I'm talking about the SEQUEL to black and white. People said it was a cash grab and that both games are ****. but I think it has the best story, music, and animations out of all Pokemon games. Plus I can catch a Riolu within 30 minutes :D

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
As a guy who practices writing, I don't think story is all that important for a game. It's nice to have a good one and to have a motive for the characters, but pushing a 2deep4kidwhocan'tswim story in something like a simple platform is ********.
It's why I don't understand the popularity of Bioshock Infinite. That game's story is an absolute mess, the gameplay is dull bullet sponge gameplay and none of the powers from the first 2 games.

And yet people still think it's a classic 5/5 game. Maybe it's because of Elizabeth and how she was a waifu without the stigma of one

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
It's why I don't understand the popularity of Bioshock Infinite. That game's story is an absolute mess, the gameplay is dull bullet sponge gameplay and none of the powers from the first 2 games.

And yet people still think it's a classic 5/5 game. Maybe it's because of Elizabeth and how she was a waifu without the stigma of one
No...I assure you that game is most definitely a hot pile of tumors.

I actually can't stand games like that. They look promising, they are obviously AAA titles, critically acclaimed, you keep playing telling yourself it just has to get better....Then 40 hours later it never did and you just wasted a significant portion of your life :'(

If you're gonna be a game I spend money on you better be so-bad-it's-good like Deadly Premonition, or be fu**ing excellent like The Last of Us. Don't waste my money on mediocrity dangit.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
No I'm talking about the SEQUEL to black and white. People said it was a cash grab and that both games are ****. but I think it has the best story, music, and animations out of all Pokemon games. Plus I can catch a Riolu within 30 minutes :D
I never actually finished B/W2. Maybe I should. I even had a pretty cool party going.

I guess the plot must pick up late, because I don't recall anything too interesting happening up to the point I got to, which was like 6 badges.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think that Bioshock Infinite has really, really fun game play. Jumping up on a rail, swinging around and popping a guy in the face is a blast. Granted, I think most of the tonic powers weren't nearly as memorable or cool as the plasmids (except for maybe throwing birds at people) but I like the game play overall.

But I'm gonna agree with everyone here that the game's story isn't all that great. In the first half of the game it sets up a mystery revolving around the city and the various factions and cults within. And that part of the game is really interesting. Then it drops all of that for universe-hopping shenanigans and the Columbia story is swept under the rug. It really makes you feel that the city setup is only there because it was in Bioshock 1. For how little of an impact Columbia has on the overall narrative the game could have been set in New York or some other city instead.

And I don't think Elizabeth was all that interesting of a character. IMO Booker is beats her out as most engaging character in the game. But he's not a cute plucky girl, so the internet skimmed over him.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I agree that Bioshock Infinite was a blast to play, until about halfway-ish? That's when I realized that I was going to be doing the same thing I had been doing the entire game, which was fun but not very interesting. Ehh, I powered through it and it was decent, but definitely not gonna change my life. I probably wouldn't play any of the Bioshock games again though.

Also, my favourite Bioshock was 2, and that's probably an unpopular opinion, right? :>

M4xwell

Smash Rookie
I actually enjoy Call of Duty Multiplayer, regardless of the sub-par community.

Absolutely. Which is sad, because BioShock 2 had the best gameplay in the series. Minerva's Den was even better!
And the combat mechanics were fantastic, far better then Bioshock 1 in my opinion. (just the convenience of the plasmids at any given moment blew me away)

DEDEDEDEDEDE

Banned via Warnings
NNID
MNH003
3DS FC
5300-9013-9670
Olimar is terrible in both Brawl and SSB4 despite his reputation of being high tier.
Donkey Kong is better than people say in SSB4.
Oh God here I go: Captain Falcon should be dropped from SSB.

DEDEDEDEDEDE

Banned via Warnings
NNID
MNH003
3DS FC
5300-9013-9670
Please elaborate. This is one of, if not the, most unusual opinion I've heard in a long time.
1. F-Zero is crap, washed-up and repetitive. Boring boring game which you just steer round an unchallenging track. I also despise it as an F1 fan and a die-hard racing sim fan. It has gained unexplained fandom and people are constantly asking for a new one even though it is dead.
2. I think Nintendo deliberately designed Cpt Falcon to be dumb. Stick a guy shouting Falcon in a weird way in front of kick and punch = a lazy design of a character with moves not even relating to his game.
3. Dumb taunts. Although this isn't really a proper reason I'm sick of Captain Falcon doing a Nazi salute saying show me your moves and him saying "Come on" is infuriating. He is a walking meme.

Overall he is a boring character well past his sell by date.

カワシさん

Oh God here I go: Captain Falcon should be dropped from SSB.
This would make sense in a way, but I would be against this for one simple reason: Captain Falcon has been in Smash since the 64 days. As a sentimental person, I'd be opposed to removing a character that has been in the Smash series for quite a while.

finalark

SNORLAX
1. F-Zero is crap, washed-up and repetitive. Boring boring game which you just steer round an unchallenging track. I also despise it as an F1 fan and a die-hard racing sim fan. It has gained unexplained fandom and people are constantly asking for a new one even though it is dead.
I don't think F-Zero is supposed to simulate realistic racing in any sense. Complaining that F-Zero isn't comparable to real racing and grounded racing sims is like a hardcore soccer (or football, if you prefer) fan complaining that Mario Strikers is too far removed from Fifa.

Also, you must be rather skilled if you find F-Zero's tracks boring since the series is infamous for its difficulty.

2. I think Nintendo deliberately designed Cpt Falcon to be dumb. Stick a guy shouting Falcon in a weird way in front of kick and punch = a lazy design of a character with moves not even relating to his game.
Captain Falcon was never seen outside of his car when Smash 64 came out, so they had to get inventive.

Although if you just flat out think he's stupid then there's no debating that.

3. Dumb taunts. Although this isn't really a proper reason I'm sick of Captain Falcon doing a Nazi salute saying show me your moves and him saying "Come on" is infuriating. He is a walking meme.

This:

Is pretty far removed from this:

If you just think he's annoying, then that's understandable. I personally feel he's healthy for Smash as a game since he fills certain niche (plus he's a ton of fun to play as).

Although your opinions of F-Zero sound like you got a bad case of hype backlash.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral

LOL OKAY.

1. F-Zero is great and every console entry has been released to warm critical reception. I'd love to see you have a go at F-Zero on Master or even Expert. There's no way you think it's easy unless you've played just a few minutes of Mute City on Easy. And let's not even get started on the GX Story. If you find F-Zero easy, you could make lots of money on twitch subs streaming your runs.

Besides, I don't really get not liking it because it's unrealistic. I'm a diehard football fan, and I still think NFL Blitz is a blast. And Tecmo Bowl. And Cyberball. And anything else you can think of. In fact, I prefer them to Madden, generally speaking.

2. Captain Falcon was designed to be a comic book hero, and was originally planned to be a mascot for Nintendo, but that never panned out. Consequently, it makes perfect sense to give him super hero moves in Smash Bros. Also, this argument could be made for Rosalina, whose moveset has very little to do with source material.

The reason he has an awkward voice is because I believe his voice actor is Japanese. I still think it's great, though.

3. His taunts are all good (except the weird charge up thing). Yes, the internet has beaten them to death, but that's because they were amusing in the first place. They've been around since before "internet memes" were a thing. I'll admit I wish more people appreciated Falcon for his F-Zero origins than Smash, though. But I understand why that's not the case.

Also, people are calling for a new one because they think it deserves not to be dead. It's a great series that hasn't even seen its full potential. And hell, Nintendo was in talks to make it a Wii U launch title. It's still up their sleeve; I think they're just waiting for the right time. That is, a release window in which it won't be overshadowed by a bigger Nintendo franchise (which the Wii U's launch would've qualified as).

Also, not liking Captain Falcon is no reason to want him DROPPED from the series. Plenty of people do like him. What about them? There are several Smash characters I don't have much sentimental value for, but I know others do, and that's enough for me.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I always thought this was supposed to be a nod towards Japanese comic books, specifically Dragonball.

Kind of makes sense given the influences.
Yeah, I could see that. I just think it's slightly underwhelming. If he did something like that scream from that one Melee victory pose of his, I think it would make it a lot better.

finalark

SNORLAX
I like BlazBlue (at least CT, I never played any of the sequels) but I really can't get into Persona Arena. There's so much going on at any given moment that I don't feel like I have any real input on what's happening on screen. No matter how much I try to learn the game I always feel like I'm pressing buttons and a ton of stuff way out of my control is going down.

I'm pretty sure flashy fighting games just aren't for me.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I like BlazBlue (at least CT, I never played any of the sequels) but I really can't get into Persona Arena. There's so much going on at any given moment that I don't feel like I have any real input on what's happening on screen. No matter how much I try to learn the game I always feel like I'm pressing buttons and a ton of stuff way out of my control is going down.

I'm pretty sure flashy fighting games just aren't for me.
That could be it. But really you just have to take your time. Never played P4A, but I've played other ASW games and they typically (since CS iirc) have a challenge mode that allow you to grind out combos till you get better at them. Been working for me so far in Guilty Gear Xrd. Went from button mashing everything to... well I still buttom mash, but less. My presses are a lot more deliberate and thought out, even if many times they're not the most effective. Point is, it was through the use of challenge mode and simple persistence that I've gotten to a point where I'm at least confident I know what I'm hitting.

If you asked me "Did you really mean to burn all that meter" I'll tell you "Yes!" and proceed to get my ass handed to me.

finalark

SNORLAX
That could be it. But really you just have to take your time. Never played P4A, but I've played other ASW games and they typically (since CS iirc) have a challenge mode that allow you to grind out combos till you get better at them. Been working for me so far in Guilty Gear Xrd. Went from button mashing everything to... well I still buttom mash, but less. My presses are a lot more deliberate and thought out, even if many times they're not the most effective. Point is, it was through the use of challenge mode and simple persistence that I've gotten to a point where I'm at least confident I know what I'm hitting.

If you asked me "Did you really mean to burn all that meter" I'll tell you "Yes!" and proceed to get my *** handed to me.
The thing is, I haven't button mashed in a fighting game since I was eight years old when I discovered that pressing buttons in a certain order does different attacks and that I can use these attacks to out-skill my opponents.

I don't actually own a copy of Persona Arena, but I play it semi-regularly with a group of friends who are really into the game. Even though I go out of my way to learn and execute inputs the game feels so all over the place that it almost seems like victory is less determined by skill and more by whoever's sprite is not lying on the ground once that game is done handing out free seizures to everyone in the room.

I really, really want to like the game since I enjoyed BBCT so much and I really love Persona, but this particular game just isn't for me, I think. I certainly feel like I'm alone in this opinion since it's well regarded and has a very devoted following.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The thing is, I haven't button mashed in a fighting game since I was eight years old when I discovered that pressing buttons in a certain order does different attacks and that I can use these attacks to out-skill my opponents.

I don't actually own a copy of Persona Arena, but I play it semi-regularly with a group of friends who are really into the game. Even though I go out of my way to learn and execute inputs the game feels so all over the place that it almost seems like victory is less determined by skill and more by whoever's sprite is not lying on the ground once that game is done handing out free seizures to everyone in the room.

I really, really want to like the game since I enjoyed BBCT so much and I really love Persona, but this particular game just isn't for me, I think. I certainly feel like I'm alone in this opinion since it's well regarded and has a very devoted following.
Well that changes everything. I get your point.

delcamex

Smash Rookie
Yeah I think I have a lof of these...

I love Mario Sunshine, I find myself re-playing that game a lot, and it's a loooot better than Mario 64, wich I kinda hate btw.

DKC3 > DKC and DKC2

I love Ocarina of time like most of the people, and it was probably the best game evur back in the time, but there are a lot of better games now, even Zelda games, Zelda TP is the best Zelda game imo.

I hate A Link to the Past, I don't know what it is, I just don't feel that game. It took me a lot of time to finish ALBW because it was sooooo like ALTTP and I got bored. I love ALBW though.

Zelda WW is overrated, it's a good game and I loved the history, but it felt so short and weird because of the islands and stuff.

Hyrule Warriors is awesome, and rock music in Zelda games feels just so good.

I'm looking forward the new Metroid game.

I hate FPS, I just don't find the beauty in them, I honestly don't know what other people see on them.

I love Phantom Hourglass. In fact, I hate most, if not all, of the 2D Zelda games except for this one (Haven't played spirit trakcs though), so yeah I'm gonna say it PH>ALTTP

The 64 controller is awful (not sure if this is an unpopular opinion).

The only history I liked in a pokemon game was in BW, in terms of game mechanics I always like the newest games, I hate going back to play pokemon games from different gerenations because of that.

Pokemon music isn't that good, I really like Dianthia music in XY and the best music in any pokemon series so far it's the battle with wally in ORAS.

Super Mario Bros. 3 it's not that good, I get bored with that game, Mario World it's the best 2D Mario game.

Why is C. Falcon in smash anyway? because his popularity in smash? it's kinda... dumb, he should be there because of the popularity in his own games, but I think half the people that play smash haven't played an f-zero game... and that's Nintendo's fault anyway! Like, what are they doing with him?! Get your stuff together, Nintendo.

I enjoy the Pac-Land stage.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Why is C. Falcon in smash anyway? because his popularity in smash? it's kinda... dumb, he should be there because of the popularity in his own games, but I think half the people that play smash haven't played an f-zero game... and that's Nintendo's fault anyway! Like, what are they doing with him?! Get your stuff together, Nintendo.
I mean he was originally in Smash because F-Zero on SNES sold a million copies, and F-Zero X came out less than a year before Smash 64. It was very much a relevant series at the time, and I don't think there's much of a reason to remove a character with such a unique moveset. I also think popularity in Smash is a perfectly good reason to keep a character. Why wouldn't you continue to preserve the fans' favorite characters? Besides, you could say the same about Roy, Game & Watch, and others.

I completely agree that Nintendo should get to work on a new F-Zero, but I think pretty much everyone that's played the series does too.

Edit: Relevant pic

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
A vast majority of people who play Smash have probably never touched Fire Emblem, Mother or Xenoblade. Doesn't mean those characters shouldn't be in.

delcamex

Smash Rookie
I also think popularity in Smash is a perfectly good reason to keep a character. Why wouldn't you continue to preserve the fans' favorite characters? Besides, you could say the same about Roy, Game & Watch, and others.
Right, it is a good reason, what I wanted to point it's that nintendo should dissapear C. Falcon status as a Smash character, not by taking it out of smash, but by making new F-Zero games, I mean they already have a popular character, they can make a very good series revival just by putting C. Falcon everywhere.

I actually think the same about roy... it's there because his popularity in melee... wich is fine, just feels... sad (Well, not the case of Roy, Ness, Lucas, Shulk, etc. wich are protagonists of single games, as opposite of C. Falcon wich is supposed to be the protagonist of a whole series).

I take back what I said, I didn't mean to say he shouldn't be in smash, I'm just saying that he shouldn't be JUST in smash, it's sad that he isn't popular anymore outside of smash.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Well then I agree 100%! For what it's worth, they considered making it a Wii U launch title, so it's not hopeless. They might be bringing that idea back for the NX launch.

...at least that's what I'm hoping.

Khao

Smash Lord
Gonna copy-pase these from a similar thread in another forum and add a few new ones inbetween:

-While they've made some ****ing awful decisions recently, Ubisoft is overall a pretty good company that still makes great games.

-The one and only problem with the Assassin's Creed series is the unfinished state new games are released at. While they're released far more frequently than other series, every new game does offers new kinds of experiences and are not any more rehashes than any other sequel from a different series.

-Mass Effect 3 ending was pretty good. It didn't exactly blow my mind, but if the internet hadn't been flooded with hatred for it, I would have seen nothing special about it (like, negatively speaking).

-On-foot gameplay in Star Fox Assault, while implemented kinda ****tily, was a ****ing great idea that I'm actually hoping returns in some form in the next Star Fox.

-While I would love to see a new Metroid game by Retro Studios, I hope it's not another Metroid Prime.

-The first two Metroid games are kind of bad. The series wasn't really any good until Super Metroid came out.

-That said, the NES and GB Kid Icarus games are great and perfectly enjoyable even today. I'll never understand why they chose to go along with Metroid but not Kid Icarus for a SNES game. (though with Super Metroid as a result, I'm glad that was the case.)

-Blizzard has never made a bad game. Never.

-The World is Not Enough on the N64 is better than Goldeneye in every single way possible.

-Talking about Goldeneye, it has aged terribly to the point it's basically unplayable today.

-The 2013 Tomb Raider is the only decent Tomb Raider game. I could never enjoy the original games even back in the day.

-Mega Man 2 is the second worst game in the classic Mega Man series. It improved on the first one in pretty much every way, but later games did it even better. For one, 3 was the first game not to have that short, awkward slide when you stop moving, as if you're walking on a slippery surface.

-Pokémon Gen 2 is also the second worst gen of Pokémon. Generally, I can safely say with complete conviction that every generation of Pokémon has been better than the previous one. Not exactly by a wide margin, but it has.

-Skyrim became boring very quickly after I started installing mods.

-There's nothing inherently bad about microtransactions, wether the base game is free or not.

-I don't think that a game that tries to focus on something other than 'fun' is necesarily a bad thing.

-"Empty overworlds" are not a real problem in any Zelda game. Not even in Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess.

-While I like the game as a whole, most of the dungeons in The Wind Waker are some of the worst in the whole franchise.

-Skyward Sword's motion-controlled combat is one of its strongest points, and it brought a lot of new elements that were seriously needed in the combat of the 3D games, and I'm hoping they return in some form, even without the motion.

-While I love MM for what it is, I genuinely don't understand why it's suddenly as extremely hyped as it is right now. (And I'm talking about something that's been happening well before MM3D.)

-I generally wish that people would stop treating entire fanbases as if they were a single hivemind. An opinion being popular today when it wasn't a few years ago doesn't mean that people don't know what they want or that they change their minds with no good reason; it means that different people are the ones who are talking.

delcamex

Smash Rookie
-Talking about Goldeneye, it has aged terribly to the point it's basically unplayable today.
You know, it happens the same to me, I hear people say that it defined the genre but that doesn't mean it's still good for today's standards! But what do I know, I don't really like the genre that much.

-"Empty overworlds" are not a real problem in any Zelda game. Not even in Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess.
IKR. I don't get why people keep saying that, specially on twilight Princess, that game felt everything but empty! There's a Zelda game that feels empty to me though, and that is The Wind Waker.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The 64 controller is awful (not sure if this is an unpopular opinion).
It's not (although I do get a kick out of seeing kids born post-2000 trying to figure out how to use it).

-Blizzard has never made a bad game. Never.
Clearly you weren't there for the nightmare that was the release of Diablo 3. Required online and broken launch servers =! a good time.
-Pokémon Gen 2 is also the second worst gen of Pokémon. Generally, I can safely say with complete conviction that every generation of Pokémon has been better than the previous one. Not exactly by a wide margin, but it has.
Reasoning? I personally believe it's the best and then X/Y are the worst (although Gen 1 is close to as bad as X/Y because of the numerous glitches and badly-aging graphics).

EDIT: Also, I agree that the first Metroids were pretty bad.

Last edited:

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
i wish they hadn't made jigglypuff in 64, and instead went with a more iconic character. they were kinda trying to force jiggly to be popular at the time, but it didn't really work out in the end.

meowth as a playable character woulda been nice!

ps: i kinda feel like jiggly is only still here cause she's a 64 veteran? if she'd debuted in melee, she might not still be here...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom