• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Certainly unpopular in places like this but definitely popular elsewhere, but Nintendo is absolutely a terrible company right now, even though they develop a couple games I love.
You'd be surprised. One of the most active Light House threads is about things we hate about Nintendo.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Certainly unpopular in places like this but definitely popular elsewhere, but Nintendo is absolutely a terrible company right now, even though they develop a couple games I love.
They haven't made good business decisions for a while now... As a company they still have a nice amount of money under their mattress, but they are on a downhill trend (the 3DS is the only thing that's saving Nintendo from destruction by the competition this generation). Hopefully they will finally release the Wii U Zelda, a new main title for an abandoned franchise (F-Zero or Metroid specifically), and SFZ should help a bit, but at this point it may be a bit too late to do much for saving the console. It was ruined by a significant lack of good games the first half of its lifecycle and only a few great games (that aren't ports) in the second half.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Banjo-Kazooie is alright. It's not bad. It's pretty good, in fact. But it hasn't aged nearly as well as most people think. Likewise, I'm really not all that hyped for Yooka-Laylee. Just because both Banjo games are two of the ten games worth playing on the N64 doesn't mean that they changed gaming forever, it just means that the N64 was one of the worst consoles ever made.

Even here it seems to be gaining a lot of traction. Nintendo's really screwed up in the last year or so. There's a whole thread about it, and it's been pretty active for about a year.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't know guys, I'd say the main bad decision they've made was how they handled the Wii U. It's something they're going to have to stick with until they're ready for that next console. They haven't made a series of bad decisions like some people make them out to be. Regardless if you hate mobile games, they're finally smart enough to tap into the mobage business. Not only that, they've made so much off of amiibos. Wii and DS was lightning in a bottle, they (and Nintendo fans) are silly to think that was going to happen again. That was more of the exception rather than the expected standard.

I'm interested to see how their NX plans pan out. They're pretty much done expecting a turnaround for Wii U. You can tell they're preparing for the next thing.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Even here it seems to be gaining a lot of traction. Nintendo's really screwed up in the last year or so. There's a whole thread about it, and it's been pretty active for about a year.
They've been screwing up for way more than just the last year or so. They've been screwing up ever sincd like the last quarter or 5th of Wii's lifetime, and they're screw-ups have only been getting bigger.

And I know of that thread. I posted a reply there and gotten a response akin to "But they still make good games" or w/e, I don't remember. since then I kinda stayed away from it lol

I don't know guys, I'd say the main bad decision they've made was how they handled the Wii U. It's something they're going to have to stick with until they're ready for that next console. They haven't made a series of bad decisions like some people make them out to be. Regardless if you hate mobile games, they're finally smart enough to tap into the mobage business. Not only that, they've made so much off of amiibos. Wii and DS was lightning in a bottle, they (and Nintendo fans) are silly to think that was going to happen again. That was more of the exception rather than the expected standard.

I'm interested to see how their NX plans pan out. They're pretty much done expecting a turnaround for Wii U. You can tell they're preparing for the next thing.
from the looks of the rumours which sound very believable and all the clues, the NX seems to be yet anothe screw-up waiting to be revealed. As long as they stick with gimmicks like they've done with the Wii (which was a 1-time success, and lucky at that) and WiiU, they're not going anywhere.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Well, for one, I honestly didn't think that Pokémon's Gen 3 needed a remake. And it isn't all that great as it's said to be.
Also, I think Male Robin is better than Female Robin. There's just so very little fanart of Male Robin because it's usually just OC's or Fem Robin, so I've been forced to use Male Robin's very few official art.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Imo, they only make a few good games this generation, but everything else they've made is terrible to me. Nintendo to me has gotten bad ever since the Wii came out.

They haven't made good business decisions for a while now... As a company they still have a nice amount of money under their mattress, but they are on a downhill trend (the 3DS is the only thing that's saving Nintendo from destruction by the competition this generation). Hopefully they will finally release the Wii U Zelda, a new main title for an abandoned franchise (F-Zero or Metroid specifically), and SFZ should help a bit, but at this point it may be a bit too late to do much for saving the console. It was ruined by a significant lack of good games the first half of its lifecycle and only a few great games (that aren't ports) in the second half.
And the Amiibos. Nintendo brought this upon themselves when it comes to the Wii U's awful marketing.

finalark

SNORLAX
Also, I think Male Robin is better than Female Robin. There's just so very little fanart of Male Robin because it's usually just OC's or Fem Robin, so I've been forced to use Male Robin's very few official art.
I honestly think that Smash 4's female Robin model looks like male Robin in drag.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Since this is unpopular opinions thread and we seemed to be talking FE...

...I never liked Fire Emblem. Never looked like my kind of game.

finalark

SNORLAX
Since this is unpopular opinions thread and we seemed to be talking FE...

...I never liked Fire Emblem. Never looked like my kind of game.
It's a balls-to-the-wall hard Turn Based Strategy RPG where the story is the least interesting part and most of the game play is min-maxing and stat building.

So yeah, it's not for everyone. Although if you dig strategy games I'd say its at least worth trying.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Oh, I know what it is. I just never bothered with it. When it comes to strategy games though I'm more of a Warcraft 3/Red Alert kind of guy.

Speaking of Warcraft, I prefer the RTSes over WoW. Both are fun and different games but WoW likes taking a dump on the Warcraft lore every chance it gets, thanks to the quality writing of Metzen.

finalark

SNORLAX
Speaking of Warcraft, I prefer the RTSes over WoW. Both are fun and different games but WoW likes taking a dump on the Warcraft lore every chance it gets, thanks to the quality writing of Metzen.
Burning Crusade was the ultimate low point in terms of the series' story.

Sorry Kael and friends, your motivation and characterization means nothing now. BC needs raid bosses.

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
Might as well state my unpopular opinions...

- Fire Emblem: Awakening is easily one of the worst entries in the series, with broken mechanics (Pair Up, Next Gen kids) and a terribly uninteresting and trite story.

- Sonic Heroes is one of my favorite Sonic games, with Grand Metropolis being one of the best levels in any 3D platformer I've played.

- Super Mario Galaxy 2 was an expansion pack, and should have been treated as such. With it being one of the blandest and most uninspired sequels I've ever played.

- Sonic Runners is decent

- Zelda 1, along along with Pokemon Gens 1 and 2 are terrible.

- I'd rather play anything else over Paper Mario Sticker Star

- I have a strange nostalgic obsession with GBA ports of SNES games, I literally cannot play Yoshi's Island SNES cause the SFX from SMA3 are absent.

- The Sonic series isn't actually terrible, certain games somehow manage to reach new lows though, to list of some games I consider bad: Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Shuffle, Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, Sonic & the Secret Rings, Sonic 06, Sonic Lost World 3DS, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. That's less than half of what the series has to offer, and I feel like the good/decent games are unfairly discredited, simply due to their ties with the bad ones.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
The stories in Fire Emblem games generally aren't very memorable.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I like SA1 a bit more than SA2, but I'd say they are both good games. Gamma > Eggman/Tails though.

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
@ G Rank Zinogre G Rank Zinogre You may be the only person in the world who considers SA1 to be a better game than SA2.

And that is quite the unpopular opinion.
Really? I go on a lot of IRC chats (Pokemon Showdown, Mibbit, etc), and people usually agree with me.

Usually the argument being that half or a little more of SA1 was enjoyable, while only 1/3 of SA2 was good.

Twewy

Smash Lord
People would say that since Sonic Adventure felt more like a 3D transistion of Sonic altogether, despite having fishing/shooting/adventure levels. It was, aside from Big, pretty fast-paced despite the devs' intention to slow down the overall gameplay by introducing features like the Chao Garden and Big's fishing.

Sonic Adventure 2 certainly goes by quicker due to lack of Adventure Fields and slower gameplay types like Big, but at the cost of more slower paced shooting/treasure hunting levels. People like the Sonic levels because they do what SA1's Sonic and Tails levels did while improving on them. SA1 also let you play the different gameplay types at your own pace, whereas SA2 will have multiple levels of a certain type in a row, ala Eggman's like two or three levels in a row.

SA2 is also designed to be a more action-y game. Compare 2's shooting with Gamma's. Gamma flies through the levels on a time limit while shooting for time, he is pretty much Sonic with a shooting system. 2's levels are longer and slower with more action and platforming.

TL;DR: SA1 somehow feels faster despite being designed for a slower pace, SA2 is somehow slower feeling despite being meant to be action and speed based.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I like SA1's ascetics and level design more so than SA2.

It feels like a classic Sonic game more than Adventure 2 which the only stage that feels like a Sonic stage are Pumpkin Hill and Green Forest.

I also really liked the Treasure Hunting levels, IF Knuckles is in it because his levels are designed pretty well aside from Sky Deck in SA1. Rouge's levels are absolutely disgusting and none of them are good especially Security Hall and Mad Space

Twewy

Smash Lord
Rogue, Tails, and Shadow's levels were added late in development, and it shows. Their levels are not up to the same quality as their counterparts, since the original SA2 was just Sonic/Knux/Eggman.

Rogue's especially, every one of her levels but her first have a lame gimmick that either are frustrating, make the levels last longer than they should, or both.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Rogue, Tails, and Shadow's levels were added late in development, and it shows. Their levels are not up to the same quality as their counterparts, since the original SA2 was just Sonic/Knux/Eggman.

Rogue's especially, every one of her levels but her first have a lame gimmick that either are frustrating, make the levels last longer than they should, or both.
It's really the reason why I wanted SA2 still be Sonic, Knuckles and Eggman since their levels are the best. And considering Radical Highway was originally a Sonic level, it would have helped.

But the fanbase had to beg for Tails and not just make him support. Which gets into my unpopular opinion:
The Sonic fanbase killed Sonic more so than Sega.

finalark

SNORLAX
So, a few years ago the cenus was that SA1 hadn't aged well and that the controls were poor and that it had more bugs than a landfill and that SA2 is the better game.

Now the census is that only a third of SA2 is any good and it's slow and kind of gimmicky and that SA1 was clearly superior.

Why can't the Sonic community make up their minds on these games?

Last edited:
So, a few years ago the cenus was that SA1 hadn't aged well and that the controls were poor and that it had more bugs than a landfill and that SA2 is the better game.

Now the census is that only a third of SA2 is any good and it's slow and kind of gimmicky and that SA1 was clearly superior.

Why can't the Sonic community make up their minds on these games?
Sooner or later, everyone will have to face the facts.

Sonic just ain't good.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Sonic just ain't good.
It's better than Star Fox who fans are even worst when deciding which games are good aside from SNES and SF64. Plus Sonic has more good games compared to it

finalark

SNORLAX

Sonic just ain't good.
Unfortunately, I've been playing Sonic since I could hold a controller and I have really, really fond memories of the Genesis and Dreamcast games.

He's been through ups and downs, but since he was such a big part of my childhood I can't dismiss him so easily.

Plus I thought that almost all of his games released between 2010 and Boom were actually pretty awesome.

It's better than Star Fox who fans are even worst when deciding which games are good aside from SNES and SF64. Plus Sonic has more good games compared to it
Some would say Sonic has no good games at all.

I'm not sayin' it. I'm just sayin' some would say.

Not me.

But some.

finalark

SNORLAX
This is why Star Fox 0 is a glorified Star Fox 64 remake.

Because certain, very vocal Star Fox fans refused to enjoy any game in the series that isn't SF64 because god forbid Nintendo try to push the series forward and evolve its game play in any sort of meaningful way.

Because certain, very vocal Star Fox fans refused to enjoy any game in the series that isn't SF64 because god forbid Nintendo try to push the series forward and evolve its game play in any sort of meaningful way.
At least you understand.

LONG LIVE SF64

DOWN WITH KRYSTAL

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt

This is really a shame, since I liked SF:Assault a lot

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
As much as I love Heroes, it's stood the test of time pretty poorly. That game was a buggy mess with frame rate problems on the PS2 and a nightmarishly bad camera. I still love it because of nostalgic reasons, but it isn't that good of a game.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think that's really just the Adventure games, as there are a fair number of Sanic teh Hoodheg games that have stood the test of time. See: Original trilogy, Advance trilogy, Rush games, Heroes, etc.
stood the test of time
I'd like to disagree. Heroes was once of my favorites when I was a kid but going back to it as an adult, it frankly holds up worse than both DC games.

Horribly slippery controls.

Levels that dragged on way too long.

Having to replay what comes down to nearly the exact same game four times to get to the final story.

Enemies that took multiple hits to kill, really, really hurting the game's pacing.

More bugs than SA1 and 2 combined.

Heroes had a lot of good ideas, but unfortunately it was poorly executed. The fact that the game's engine was pretty unstable didn't help.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

This is the reason why I loved Assault, it was a unique experience of a game that added more than regurgitate older stuff. It had the same old Star Fox game play but added some new stuff especially the land missions which needed work but the a sequel could have helped that and made the improvements that could have helped the series expand and grow but people wanna blame Krystal and not being like 64 and put the series in a rut.

Some would say Sonic has no good games at all.

I'm not sayin' it. I'm just sayin' some would say.

Not me.

But some.
Those are the Nintendo fanboys who usually just spout stuff they heard and play the bad games of the series or the 3D titles just to judge the game and then barely play the classic games and ignore them and say "it's okay but still bad".

As much as I love Heroes, it's stood the test of time pretty poorly. That game was a buggy mess with frame rate problems on the PS2 and a nightmarishly bad camera. I still love it because of nostalgic reasons, but it isn't that good of a game.
Heroes might not be that great but dude, you played the worst version. Seriously, I'm not joking.

The PS2 version never should have existed and was originally supposed to be a Xbox and GC title. Sony had the blackmail them to get he game on there and the port was horrendous.

When people talk about Heroes, it's mostly due from the GC version or the rare occasion of the Xbox version

Last edited:

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt
I should probably explain. When Heroes first released, it got very mixed reception. All of the **** it gets flack for today is all of the **** it got back then. Granted, from my perspective it's aged like milk next to a sun, but from a critical standpoint, it's basically the same as it was back then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom