• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I thought Sonic R had some decent mechanics, particularly being able to go off the main track at multiple points, and had great music. However, the fact that it was a collectathon racer game (which, why?) and had awful controls are why people veered away from it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Honestly, I thought Sonic R had some decent mechanics, particularly being able to go off the main track at multiple points, and had great music. However, the fact that it was a collectathon racer game (which, why?) and had awful controls are why people veered away from it.
Believe it or not, people used to be a lot kinder to the game. I remember a point in time when it was one of the better liked spin-offs.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Jontron's video
That's, like, 95% of the reason minimum, actually.
Replace Jontron with Projared and you got Sonic Adventure 2, nowadays. Before the video he did, if you talked **** about SA2 to the extent some people do, you'd probably get **** thrown at you from everyone on the internet.
Nowadays, it feels like if you even talk something positive about the game, people will come to your door and try to snap your neck off because you're not boarding on the bandwagon.
That's just how I feel.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
That's, like, 95% of the reason minimum, actually.
Replace Jontron with Projared and you got Sonic Adventure 2, nowadays. Before the video he did, if you talked **** about SA2 to the extent some people do, you'd probably get **** thrown at you from everyone on the internet.
Nowadays, it feels like if you even talk something positive about the game, people will come to your door and try to snap your neck off because you're not boarding on the bandwagon.
That's just how I feel.
I still feel SA2 is a good game, just SA1 is a lot better.

SomeCallMeJohnny had a review of SA2 and pretty much had the same conclusion as ProJared, but also compared it to SA1 a lot more and was just a lot more in-depth with his opinion.
The full review is 40 minutes, but if you jump somewhere @ 14:10 he starts talking about the game play (the first 14 minutes was the the story.
TL:DW Sonic/Shadow levels are the best, but are insanely linear compared to SA1
Knuckles/Rouge controls great, but nerfed radar and giant levels, especially near the end, lead to a bad time
Tails/Eggman levels are worst. Bad levels (Eggman's are better), bad enemy placement, bad controls. Cosmic Wall, Eggman's last stage although long, is however good.

Also, JonTron made a Sonic R video? Can't imagine much good was said about the game. I enjoyed it, but that was years ago, doubt I'd have the same opinion now.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Also, JonTron made a Sonic R video? Can't imagine much good was said about the game. I enjoyed it, but that was years ago, doubt I'd have the same opinion now.
He did, years ago, back when Jon probably had no idea of what to do with his channel. That'd be implying he knows what to do with it nowadays
In fact, something tells me he's ashamed of that video since apparently, he removed it, here's a reupload.
Now that's what you call quality entertainment, isn't it? The original's link is this, it's now unlisted.
I mean, here's my opinion on Sonic R, from someone who played the original Saturn version as a young child: It's... kind of bad, I guess? It's seriously not as bad as people say it is. It's not very good, but Jesus, saying Jontron is exaggerating about the game doesn't even begin to describe it. The soundtrack is definitely very odd for a Sonic game, but it's listenable. The gameplay is bad but the game is far from unplayable. The graphics were OK-ish, especially since the Saturn couldn't make 3D models look that pretty.
Would I ever go back, play this game and say it was a good experience? No, but it's not like the game is anywhere close to being the worst game ever.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's amazing how much sway Youtubers have over public opinions.

Probably because most people can't be bothered/can't afford to play most games for themselves so they just take Youtube vids as gospel truth.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Sad, really. Now here's another impopular opinion! The Nintendo NX ain't looking very attractive, to me.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Probably because most people can't be bothered/can't afford to play most games for themselves so they just take Youtube vids as gospel truth.
Hell, it's with anything in general.
Get a couple hundred thousand subscribers and you'll have thousands of sheep more than willing to kiss your boot and defend you from the "haters" and "trolls". And all for free.
Now sure, I doubt every Youtube wants a white knight (and with some it's the contrary), but those fans exist regardless and they will forever plague the Internet.

And it gets even more hilarious when it's a Youtuber that thrives on accentuating the negative. Like, I highly doubt I'd look into Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation with the idea of recommendations for a good game, but God knows his fanbase takes it all face-first (unless he insults their favorite game(s) which then he's Satan).

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
You mentioned Yahtzee, which is pretty much the king of the White-Knighted Youtubers.
Every week, he uploads a video to Zero Punctuation, and every week, his fans go there and agree with whatever the hell Mr. Croshaw passes off as a critique like good little boys and girls they are. I'm not saying there isn't a bit of truth between all the ignorant rambling he does, however.
But sometimes, he really screws up.
His review of Super Smash Bros. Brawl: "Me and my group of friends didn't like it, that means none of you should, either."
His review of Pokemon Black: "I don't like the concept and you should feel bad if you do. Also, the game is way too difficult and repetitive."
His review of Soul Calibur 3 (A game I haven't played and I don't plan to, honestly): "I don't see how this game can appeal to anybody." (Actual quote)
Like?... You can just write the first two off as ignorance, but the third one? That's something you don't say. To anything. Joke critic or not, that's an insult to criticism.
I watch Yahtzee's videos and I really laugh at them, and I actually agree with some, but no one should ever even take him seriously, much less try to get recommendation of games from him. You'd be led to believe Portal and Saints Row 2 actually live up to the hype they get.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Sad, really. Now here's another impopular opinion! The Nintendo NX ain't looking very attractive, to me.
Let's be real, did anyone think the Wii was a pretty/playable piece of hardware at first? Probably not, but we played games that were compatible with control styles we preferred and enjoyed those games thoroughly. I imagine the same thing will happen with the NX, as Nintendo has been super forgiving about alternate control schemes for its consoles for the last few years.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Playing FE: Awakening, even though I'm still on Chapter 4, I will still say this:
Despite Lucina only having appeared once so far and only have spoken about 3 sentences, she's honestly a much better pick for Smash than her father. I dunno, but so far, Chrom isn't coming off as likable or a good leader. He's also really stupid, in Chapter 2, I think, Chrom was legit surprised that Robin thought up of the incredibly complicated strategy of "Maybe if we combine our forces and make 2 units attack one enemy unit, we will have an easier time winning battles!"
How the hell did Ylisse fight and win wars with this moron in command before Robin arrived, did they all just queue up to fight enemies one by one?!
If you played this game and liked Chrom, without spoilers, can you please tell me if this guy gets any better?

finalark

SNORLAX
I watch Yahtzee's videos and I really laugh at them, and I actually agree with some, but no one should ever even take him seriously, much less try to get recommendation of games from him. You'd be led to believe Portal and Saints Row 2 actually live up to the hype they get.
Hell, if you take everything he says at face value then the only games that are worth playing are Portal and Saints Row.

Ironically, he's actually said in a few of his blogs that his vids aren't 100% reflective of his actual opinion and that they're more to entertain rather than be an actual critique. Not that it stops his legion of loyal followers.

If you played this game and liked Chrom, without spoilers, can you please tell me if this guy gets any better?
Unfortunately, in the early chapters Chrom is basically there to make the Avatar look like some kind of tactical mastermind during the tutorials. Lyn had similar issues in Blazing Sword IIRC. After a certain spoilery event occurs about a third of the way through the game he becomes much more competent as a leader.

TBH most of the Chrom love comes from his support conversations where he's a giant dork trying to figure out how to raise his teenage daughter from the future.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Unfortunately, in the early chapters Chrom is basically there to make the Avatar look like some kind of tactical mastermind during the tutorials.
When I described Chrom's... "antics" to one of my friends, he said "He makes the story sound like one of those crappy SI fanfictions". I don't think patronizing the player like that making it look like he's special because he can work out 2 is a bigger number than 1 is a good idea, it just makes the story and Chrom especially look really cringeworthy.
TBH most of the Chrom love comes from his support conversations where he's a giant dork trying to figure out how to raise his teenage daughter from the future.
Ah, so he's still gonna act like his IQ struggles to maintain a single digit until the game ends, just in a different way. I getcha.

Not like any of this matters much because I got stuck! Wonderful! I knew enabling permadeath would bite me in the arse sooner or later.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Out of curiosity, how new are you to FE?

Because a general rule of thumb is to consider any death a mission failed and restart.
Actually, I do just that: Everytime someone dies, I restart the game without saving and try it again pretending the last try never happened.
It's just that I got into a roaming battle (or whatever Awakening calls them) that I can't finish without atleast one person dying, and I've tried, like, 6 times already. I'll probably get it perfectly sooner or later, thought.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
On the middle part of the game, Chrom did eventually became competent but, later on, his role as a "main character" nearly becomes non-existent in favor of Robin as soon as the endgame chapters begin. I like Chrom but only as a unit since his growths are pretty good for a Lord unit. Then again, this is how I feel about most of Awakening's cast when compared to the older Fire Emblem games. I only like them as units but I don't care or dislike their personalities.

Now here's an unpopular opinion. I've spoiled myself, although it was by accident, a bit on FE:Fates Conquest route's story and I personally think it isn't that bad. Sure, its got some plot holes here and there but I think its pretty decent. (Although, it may mean that I have **** taste in story writing but whatever)
Not sure if this an unpopular opinion but I feel like I'm one of those few who don't care about Corrin's inclusion to Smash. Everywhere I go, I see either people getting salty about Corrin being in Smash for somehow "stealing a slot for *insert favorite character here*" or people getting too excited about Corrin in Smash to the point that they say that he will somehow become the best Fire Emblem character in Smash 4 when he isn't even released yet.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Since we were just talking about Jontron before, I have to ask: Anyone noticed he's been making quite a lot of drug references, lately, mostly with weed? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm actually perfectly OK with weed, but it's just strange he's been making so many references to it since his Anti Drug games video seeing as there were none at all before it.

On-topic - This might even be a very controversial opinion, and I know this is not gonna happen anytime soon, but I'll say it anyway: Valve needs to let Team Fortress 2 die.

I know damn well TF2 is probably gonna go down the same path Counter Strike 1.6 and Source went where it'll probably stay alive forever, but honestly, TF2 is getting a bit tired. Here, It's already suffering of the "Old MP game" syndrome most old FPSs do where 90% of the servers play on the same few maps (Dustbowl, Turbine and 2Fort, Upward if you're really lucky) or have mods up the arse, and they're all either completely filled up (I'm not talking 24/24, I'm talking 32/32, yes, pretty much every single server that shows up in my serverlist has the extended playerlist) or completely/so close to empty it's not worth entering them. Since the amount of players is in a nonstop exponential growth ever since it went F2P, it's getting significantly harder to find nice people. Not 2 years ago, you could go into a server and actually make a lot of friends, nowadays, it feels like most of the people in the servers are kind of nasty...
Then again, if you booted up TF2 2 years ago, the servers would play other maps than bloody Turbine, so maybe these issues are related?

Also, I had enough with the hats and the cosmetics in general. Yeah, some of them are really cool, some are very nice and fit their characters very seamlessly, but their prices are a sin, and some others stick out like a sore thumb, and in a really bad way, some of the hats feel like they're some kind of crappy skin you'd download off of Gamebanana that got rated 2/10 or something.

Even though I started playing the game in 2011, which means I'm techincaly a F2P, I wonder how good of a decision it really was to make the game F2P. I mean, it helped to make the game have a large community, and now they're making far more money off of it than they were making when it was P2P, but to me, it seems to be hurting the game's longevity. I know CSGO is paid and it has a bad community, nowdays, but TF2's kinda feels like a special kind of bad. It just makes me sad seeing that.

Yeah, rant over, I know some of this stuff is probably objectively wrong...

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
My unpopular opinion: TF2 isn't fun. I first tried it out shortly after it went F2P, and whether you lived, killed, or died felt just as random as Smash Bros. with all items on very high.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
My unpopular opinion: TF2 isn't fun. I first tried it out shortly after it went F2P, and whether you lived, killed, or died felt just as random as Smash Bros. with all items on very high.
I can see why it's fun... maybe... But it's pretty whatever for me. It and Garry's Mod are two games I always question how someone could have +1000 hrs on. It's just boring to me, but I played DotA 2 for +800 hrs and I'm sure people wonder how someone could play a MOBA for that long.

Possibly unpopular opinion: Despite obvious issues here and there, I feel 343i handles Halo better than Bungie did. Yes, the lack of split-screen in H5 sucks (sorta, I usually play by myself), H4's multiplayer was literally Call of Duty: Halo Warfare, and both game's story suffer from having too much of the EU crammed in without explaining what they are to those who don't follow the lore. But I'd be lying if I said, I didn't love what they were doing.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
It and Garry's Mod are two games I always question how someone could have +1000 hrs on.
I can explain GMOD. The game has hundreds of thousands of mods, dozens of gamemodes for you to play (all of them garbage except for sandbox) and an absurd amount of ragdolls and maps for you to take screenshots of, pose, blow up, etc.
Posing takes a lot of practice and even when you'rE good at it, if you want to tell a short story comic book style, it's still gonna need more or less 70 images, and if you spend 10 minutes posing all of them (unreasonable since some might take 3 times that depending on the detail) you'd need 700 minutes minimum.
If you want to make the exact same story in stopmotion, however, the amount of images quintuplifies, and the workload for each one doesn't actually drop much. That is why people have so much time put into GMOD.
Also, the game takes ages to load anything. I have more mods than most human beings can count. It takes 5 minutes for the game to start up. Depending on the map, it might take from 5-10 minutes for that to load. Then, it might take another minute for the FPS to stabilize on the bigger maps.
Lastly, thanks to all the maps and the billions of guns you can download for the game just about anywhere, you could play it as some sort of makeshift FPS. You need to have a lot of imagination with saves or a lot of patience to deal with lag if you want to kill more than 40 people, though.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103

Or they just don't know how to think for themselves and would rather be part of the group than have their own voice. I get that YouTubers are huge, but regardless of what their opinions are, I'm not going to take that as written law. For example, I find the mech stages in Adventure 2 to be fun. Granted, most of the Tails ones aren't too great, but the Eggman ones can provide a lot of good fun (Cosmic Wall FTW). I also don't find their controls to be that bad. It took me only one mission to get used to them and I was comfortable with playing them. By that logic, I enjoy 2/3 of Adventure 2 (the treasure hunting stages have one major design flaw that just hurts them severely), and don't see anyone who likes it to be a "blind fanboy." That mentality along with the bandwagoning mentality need to die.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I actually liked Sonic '06.

Enough said?
I'll take it a step further; Sonic 2006 is my favorite Sonic game. While we're on the subject of Sonic:
- Heroes was horrible.
- Black Knight really wasn't all that bad.
- Live & Learn is a decent song, but not amazing.
- Silver is my favorite Sonic character.
- Sonic as a series has no future. SEGA doesn't know what to do with it and Nintendo couldn't make a good Sonic game.
- The new voice actors suck.
- Super Mario Bros. 3 is without a doubt my least favorite Mario game. It controls like ass and the difficulty curve is ********.
- NEW Super Mario Bros. Wii is my favorite 2D Mario game.
- The original Galaxy isn't all that great any more.
- Super Paper Mario and Legend of the Seven Stars are the two best RPGs.
- Neither version of Super Mario Bros. 2 is good.
- Even so, Sticker Star is the only truly bad Mario game.
- 64 isn't that great but 64 DS is amazing.
- The first two Paper Mario games bored the **** out of me.
- Wind Waker is inferior to Twilight Princess.
- Skyward Sword is overhated.
- The original Zelda was never that great of a game.
- Brawl is my favorite Smash game.
- Melee is my least favorite.
- Smash 4 has more problems than any other Smash game. Despite that, it's still my favorite game behind Brawl.
- Project M is vastly overrated and Brawl- is the better hack in every possible way.
- Smash 4 has the worst roster of the series.
- Roy is the only DLC I care about other than Super Mario Maker and Pirate Ship.
- The Japanese voices suck.
-Ryu is a boring protagonist and Akuma is a boring antagonist.
- On that note, Sagat and M. Bison are the superior pro and antagonists.
- I'm not getting Street Fighter V unless Sagat is revealed.
- The IV series has the best soundtrack.
- The III series is the worst series.

Last edited:

Kritzkrieg

Smash Cadet
- Battle Spy/Engineer is my favorite tactic in TF2

- I can never understand why Ocarina of Time is so liked, I got bored after the first dunegon.

- I find shovel knight to be boring

- I don't take time to explore Binding of Isaac

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
- Battle Spy/Engineer is my favorite tactic in TF2
if by Battle Engineer you mean "someone who uses a gunslinger sentry, places it on offensive spots and relies both on it and the Shotgun to get kills"
Battle Engineers are fine on Offence. Hell, every single offence team IMO needs some engineers so it wouldn't hurt to do that.
Defence? ...No. The mini sentry doesn't last, it doesn't defend squat and your Shotgun is a 3HKO on a 125 health class and only at Point Blank range if all your pellets connect. It's not good for that at all.

Kritzkrieg

Smash Cadet
if by Battle Engineer you mean "someone who uses a gunslinger sentry, places it on offensive spots and relies both on it and the Shotgun to get kills"
Battle Engineers are fine on Offence. Hell, every single offence team IMO needs some engineers so it wouldn't hurt to do that.
Defence? ...No. The mini sentry doesn't last, it doesn't defend squat and your Shotgun is a 3HKO on a 125 health class and only at Point Blank range if all your pellets connect. It's not good for that at all.
I actually don't use the Gunslinger very often. I use Southern Hospitality, Pomson, and the Pistol

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'll take it a step further; Sonic 2006 is my favorite Sonic game.
You're entitled to your flawed opinions I disagree with most of this stuff, but I'll just address a few points:
- Sonic as a series has no future. SEGA doesn't know what to do with it and Nintendo couldn't make a good Sonic game.
Other companies could take the series back to its roots and do wonders, but at this point, SEGA is so corrupt and weak that Sonic has no chance of being the huge power it was 20 years ago.
- Super Mario Bros. 3 is without a doubt my least favorite Mario game. It controls like *** and the difficulty curve is ********.
This is one of my favorites because it controls amazingly and the difficulty is high enough so that you get that huge moment of victory after passing a difficult level rather than instant gratification which wears off pretty much instantly.
Why do you think it isn't great anymore? I think the game has aged very well and it still has a lot of solid gameplay that set the standard for future Mario 3D games.
Why? They only added a couple characters and updated graphics a little bit.
Interesting. I thought that the well-balanced and entertaining gameplay, good game pace, diversity of surroundings, terrific storyline, great graphic design, and interesting characters made the first two games of the series the best.
- Wind Waker is inferior to Twilight Princess.
I dunno, it's kinda flip-flopped over the years. WW used to be criticized very harshly for its graphical style, but has become more loved recently as the graphics have aged more gracefully.
I think this has become a popular opinion over the past few years.
If you disregard gameplay, I agree.
I couldn't disagree more; it's one of the best fighters of all time.
- Smash 4 has more problems than any other Smash game. Despite that, it's still my favorite game behind Brawl.
Agree on the first part, disagree on the second.
- Project M is vastly overrated and Brawl- is the better hack in every possible way.
- Smash 4 has the worst roster of the series.
lol

I agree with a lot of the SF stuff, but here's another point on SF:

I think that SF4 is the most boring competitive fighter that has gotten attention in recent years. Just look at KOF 13 vs SF4 at any EVO and you'll see what I mean. I think the gameplay in KOF is faster, more technical, and more interesting to watch than SF4. I honestly like the Alpha series and 3rd Strike a lot, but 4 is just garbage. I'll link both matches; just watch the first set of each and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: Also, I don't like the SF4 OST nearly as much as previous games. In addition, Mr. Karate dittos can be boring in KOF, but other than that, pretty much everything fairly fast.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Or they just don't know how to think for themselves and would rather be part of the group than have their own voice. I get that YouTubers are huge, but regardless of what their opinions are, I'm not going to take that as written law. For example, I find the mech stages in Adventure 2 to be fun. Granted, most of the Tails ones aren't too great, but the Eggman ones can provide a lot of good fun (Cosmic Wall FTW). I also don't find their controls to be that bad. It took me only one mission to get used to them and I was comfortable with playing them. By that logic, I enjoy 2/3 of Adventure 2 (the treasure hunting stages have one major design flaw that just hurts them severely), and don't see anyone who likes it to be a "blind fanboy." That mentality along with the bandwagoning mentality need to die.
That's the pack mentality for you. Like any pack animal, the desire to be led is strong in humans. But then there are the black sheep that don't want to be led, that relish the ability to think for themselves. I mean, we have brains right? Why not use them? But that sometimes results in earning the ire of your fellow humans for cutting across the grain.

Anyway....

I've played SA2 quite a bit and enjoyed it for what it was. All the gameplay styles worked(more or less)and were pretty enjoyable in their own way. But looking back on it, I just feel that they were VERY out of place(well, the treasure hunting and shooting anyway) considering the fact that it was a mainline Sonic game. As far as I'm concerned, Sonic is solely about speed, and the other gameplay styles just kind of detract from that(not sure if that's unpopular but whatever).

Super Paper Mario and Legend of the Seven Stars are the two best RPGs.
I could be wrong on this, but I've always had the impression that, between Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario, Mario RPG was the overall fan favorite of the two series. But in my eyes, Mario RPG can't hold a candle to Paper Mario. Not even close. Especially not when a masterpiece like TTYD exists.

Wind Waker is inferior to Twilight Princess.
Care to share?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
You're entitled to your flawed opinions I disagree with most of this stuff, but I'll just address a few points:
I personally think Sonic 06 is a horrible game, but my god is your response edgy. If someone likes the game and claims it's their favorite their opinion isn't flawed

Other companies could take the series back to its roots and do wonders, but at this point, SEGA is so corrupt and weak that Sonic has no chance of being the huge power it was 20 years ago.
The platformer genre in general isn't huge and despite that Sonic is still doing pretty well. Generations still pushed over a million in sales and Lost Worlds pushed over 700K. Sonic won't ever grow big again because the genre outside of Mario will never big big, but the franchise is still in a good spot.

I couldn't disagree more; it's one of the best fighters of all time.

Agree on the first part, disagree on the second.
"Oh no someone thinks a different Smash game is better than Melee. Allow me to tell them how wrong they are" Very original dude.

Tbh, I do second that lol. But at the same time, if someone thinks Brawl- is more fun or that Smash 4's roster is weak (which I question how) who am I to say they're wrong?

I agree with a lot of the SF stuff, but here's another point on SF:

I think that SF4 is the most boring competitive fighter that has gotten attention in recent years. Just look at KOF 13 vs SF4 at any EVO and you'll see what I mean. I think the gameplay in KOF is faster, more technical, and more interesting to watch than SF4. I honestly like the Alpha series and 3rd Strike a lot, but 4 is just garbage. I'll link both matches; just watch the first set of each and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT: Also, I don't like the SF4 OST nearly as much as previous games. In addition, Mr. Karate dittos can be boring in KOF, but other than that, pretty much everything fairly fast.
I looked at it, but I don't see what you mean. I understand your opinion, but being slower and less technical does not mean it's immediately boring or bad.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The platformer genre in general isn't huge and despite that Sonic is still doing pretty well. Generations still pushed over a million in sales and Lost Worlds pushed over 700K. Sonic won't ever grow big again because the genre outside of Mario will never big big, but the franchise is still in a good spot.
One may have sold a million and the other 700k, but that isn't close to the amount that older Sonic games reached (for instance, Sonic 2 reached 6 million). Sega has had to downsize considerably after the failure that was Boom, and I'm not sure if they're in a position to continue the series to its full capabilities.

"Oh no someone thinks a different Smash game is better than Melee. Allow me to tell them how wrong they are" Very original dude.
I didn't tell him why he is wrong, but I'll specify my opinion:

Sm4sh and Brawl are wonderful games. Brawl has the best single-player content (other than challenges, which still goes to Melee), Sm4sh has stunning visuals and an amazing OST, and they both have a lot of extra content. Both of them have pretty poor gameplay, however, because they were specifically designed to be casual. Buffering, slower movement, slower falling speeds, and lack of comboing ability (and removal of DI in Sm4sh) have all hurt the gameplay experience at any level of play. With that said, it especially hurt the scene in the aspect of competitive play. I'll be speaking of Sm4sh for now on because its gameplay is worse than Brawl's.

People that are of a lower skill level were more likely to do better than in Melee or 64, you can recover from nearly anywere on stage, the shield as well as roll and spotdodge data are way too good (making the game too defensively-oriented, and slowing it down signifigantly), you have little control over your character's movements in comparison to previous games (Wavedash, Dashdance, and other vital tools to movement were removed), buffering caused you to not have full control of your character's actions, the gameplay was intentionally slowed down (removal of L-Cancelling and physics changes to slow aerial speed, falling speed, ground speed, etc.), there is a much lower skill cap than in Melee, no DI causes auto-combos that only require a partially braindead person with two thumbs to execute (like Mario's U-tilt combo), low shieldstun means trying to approach with aerials is riskier than it should be (yet again slowing down gameplay), there is almost no dynamic comboing system because of the lack of DI, and when I play the game, I feel restricted by fewer options with any character at any given time in comparison to Melee.

It's like watching NASCAR with stock cars vs watching NASCAR with Go-Karts. Sure, everyone will be on more of a level playing field, but when you realize how slow the play is, how nontechnical Go-Karts are, how risky stock is vs the safety of karts, how low the skill cap is in one compared to the other, and how much better delayed gratification feels for mastering a difficult game than instant gratification when you're instantly on a much higher level of game with much less effort, you'll wonder why anyone's choosing to watch the Go-Karts. After the shine of a new game wears off, people will again realize what the superior game is, and either move on to do other things with their life or go to Melee (or move on to 5mash if the game is out yet).

Tbh, I do second that lol. But at the same time, if someone thinks Brawl- is more fun or that Smash 4's roster is weak (which I question how) who am I to say they're wrong?
They can have the opinion that Brawl - is better than PM (even though I think it's PM by far), but if they are trying to say that the Sm4sh roster is bad when they only removed 4-ish characters from the other games and added over a dozen more, I'm not sure if they could say that the roster is lacking. Heck, he said "worst roster of the series", which implies he likes 64's roster better (and all of 64's roster is in Sm4sh, with an additional 46 characters, counting all Mii Fighters seperately). I don't see how that is possible unless he REALLY hates Cloud.

I looked at it, but I don't see what you mean. I understand your opinion, but being slower and less technical does not mean it's immediately boring or bad.
I disagree, but hey, a larger skill cap, faster, more technical, and amazing movement options is the difference between Melee and Sm4sh. I guess not everyone likes to spectate fast, technical, hard-to-master gameplay and would rather watch easier, campy, non-technical stuff.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You lost me on the italicized bit. I'm sorry, and maybe my eyes were fooling me, but was that a backhand? I mean the rest of it is merely opinions, but where does "flawed" go into this? Were you implying his opinions were less than stellar?

I mean everything else is "This is my opinion" sure. But just saying this small, minute word that could've been avoided puts a completely different take on your whole post. But that's just me.

Edit: And yes I know Kurri already made mention of this, but I still want this addressed. Because to me it feels more like a "my opinion is right" post.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
You lost me on the italicized bit. I'm sorry, and maybe my eyes were fooling me, but was that a backhand? I mean the rest of it is merely opinions, but where does "flawed" go into this? Were you implying his opinions were less than stellar?

I mean everything else is "This is my opinion" sure. But just saying this small, minute word that could've been avoided puts a completely different take on your whole post. But that's just me.

Edit: And yes I know Kurri already made mention of this, but I still want this addressed. Because to me it feels more like a "my opinion is right" post.
The whole quote is italicized, but I assume you are talking about "flawed" part. That word may have been a bit harsh, but I cannot comprehend a game as broken and convoluted as '06 being someone's favorite Sonic game. I suppose it could be pure nostalgia (I suppose it is because of the 64 DS vs 64 statement, and 64 DS came out around the same time as '06), but it's still surprising to find that opinion anywhere.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The whole quote is italicized, but I assume you are talking about "flawed" part. That word may have been a bit harsh, but I cannot comprehend a game as broken and convoluted as '06 being someone's favorite Sonic game. I suppose it could be pure nostalgia (I suppose it is because of the 64 DS vs 64 statement, and 64 DS came out around the same time as '06), but it's still surprising to find that opinion anywhere.
And there's a problem with that? I'll be honest, I like Sonic '06, and so do others, and that's completely okay. No one is "flawed" just because heaven forbid they like a video game.
It'd be like if I lashed at someone because they liked Bay's Transformers, or PewDiePie. At the end of the day it's only an opinion, and it's not like they're an awful person for having it.

Also on a side note I'm confused by the "nostalgia" argument. Because they like Sonic '06 and SM64DS there has to be some conspiracy theory to it? I mean, couldn't it just be they like the games? It's surely a stretch I know, but it is plausible.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
And there's a problem with that? I'll be honest, I like Sonic '06, and so do others, and that's completely okay. No one is "flawed" just because heaven forbid they like a video game.
It'd be like if I lashed at someone because they liked Bay's Transformers, or PewDiePie. At the end of the day it's only an opinion, and it's not like they're an awful person for having it.
Fair enough, I'm just surprised that he thinks it's better than other Sonic games that are objectively superior.

Also on a side note I'm confused by the "nostalgia" argument. Because they like Sonic '06 and SM64DS there has to be some conspiracy theory to it? I mean, couldn't it just be they like the games? It's surely a stretch I know, but it is plausible.
I wasn't saying it was nostalgia based off of liking both games, I'm saying it's nostalgia based off of liking SM64DS and not SM64 even though they are virtually the same game with a couple extra characters. That leads me to believe that he has nostalgia bias for that time period or absolutely despises older gens because he doesn't seem to like anything before the Wii other than SMRPG.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I wasn't saying it was nostalgia based off of liking both games, I'm saying it's nostalgia based off of liking SM64DS and not SM64 even though they are virtually the same game with a couple extra characters. That leads me to believe that he has nostalgia bias for that time period or absolutely despises older gens because he doesn't seem to like anything before the Wii other than SMRPG.
...One again, you've lost me.
And where's your proof? Unless you have definite evidence that he likes it based on nostalgia and nostalgia alone, I see no reason to nail him on a cross for a glorified hypothesis. Same thing with your second point. All I'm seeing is baseless jabs for something that's stretching at best.

I mean really now, where are basing all this off of? Do you know him
personally? Were you two friends? No? Then I don't see why you're so sure that this is fact.

All I see right now is straw grasping.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
...One again, you've lost me.
And where's your proof? Unless you have definite evidence that he likes it based on nostalgia and nostalgia alone, I see no reason to nail him on a cross for a glorified hypothesis. Same thing with your second point. All I'm seeing is baseless jabs for something that's stretching at best.

I mean really now, where are basing all this off of? Do you know him
personally? Were you two friends? No? Then I don't see why you're so sure that this is fact.

All I see right now is straw grasping.
OK, I'll post a list of liked and hated games from each generation:

8th Gen:
Liked:
Disliked:
- N/A

7th Gen:
Liked:
- Sonic 2006 is my favorite Sonic game
- NEW Super Mario Bros. Wii is my favorite 2D Mario game.
Disliked:

6th Gen:
Liked:
- N/A
Disliked:
- Heroes was horrible.

5th Gen & Older:
Liked:
Disliked:
- Neither version of Super Mario Bros. 2 is good.
- The original Zelda was never that great of a game.
- The III series is the worst series.

I didn't include the whole Twilight Princess and Windwaker thing because TP is on both GC and Wii, but it's fair to note that TP is associated more with the Wii than the GC. Do you notice any patterns here?

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
One may have sold a million and the other 700k, but that isn't close to the amount that older Sonic games reached (for instance, Sonic 2 reached 6 million). Sega has had to downsize considerably after the failure that was Boom, and I'm not sure if they're in a position to continue the series to its full capabilities.
You understand most games still don't hit even a million in sales and yet Sonic was still able to? I get the games will never hit 6 million again like Sonic 2 did, bu you can't say Sonic isn't doing well. Continually getting over million sales even after the flop that was Sonic 06 means they're still in a good spot.

TEXT ABOUT WHY MELEE IS SUPERIOR AND OTHER GAMES AREN'T
I don't care if you think Melee. My problem comes from the fact that you felt the need to butt in your opinion when someone said otherwise. Aside from a few things (wavedashing is extremely useful), I think Smash 4 is better than Melee. Also L-Cancel is dumb :^) (But that's a discussion for a different thread).

They can have the opinion that Brawl - is better than PM (even though I think it's PM by far), but if they are trying to say that the Sm4sh roster is bad when they only removed 4-ish characters from the other games and added over a dozen more, I'm not sure if they could say that the roster is lacking. Heck, he said "worst roster of the series", which implies he likes 64's roster better (and all of 64's roster is in Sm4sh, with an additional 46 characters, counting all Mii Fighters seperately). I don't see how that is possible unless he REALLY hates Cloud.
Tbh, I don't really know how anyone can think Smash 4's roster is the weakest but I guess it's like if Capcom removed Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter(?). I dunno... the roster isn't bad to me; sure we lost a few characters but there's more to make up for it.

I disagree, but hey, a larger skill cap, faster, more technical, and amazing movement options is the difference between Melee and Sm4sh. I guess not everyone likes to spectate fast, technical, hard-to-master gameplay and would rather watch easier, campy, non-technical stuff.
To quote my friend who plays SF "Who cares how technical the gameplay is?"

Start @27:10 and watch from there

Edit: Substitution Substitution is right. Had "flawed" never been there (and had you not forced your opinion as right) I would not have cared.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom