• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I go under the opinion that I liked Shovel Knight, but I wouldn't call it groundbreaking (though to be honest I doubt it was meant to be). For what it is it's a fun retro platform, and that's all it needs to be.

It's kinda like another game that gets a similar reaction: Undertale. At it's core it's a decently made RPG. And while I know many tend to have conspiracy theories on it and tend to act like it's some deep art, but I feel that really it's simply a game that focuses on surrealism; kinda like Earthbound. And that's fine with me.

Last edited:

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
wouldn't call it groundbreaking (though to be honest I doubt it was meant to be)
Oh my god this. This is what people often lose sight of when they're judging games, especially nouveau-retro games. A game doesn't have to do new things to be good; it can just do the old things exceptionally well and still do just fine. I, at least, am not still playing Kirby or Pokémon games because of their bold innovations (though I do consider Wonder Trading and Pokémon Amie a couple of masterstrokes). Same deal with so many of the newer Mario games.

ASCII

Smash Rookie
NNID
iruhlman
Honestly not a fan of the Sonic Adventure games. After Sonic 3 & Knuckles, with the exception of Sonic Generations, they weren't as interesting or fun anymore.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Yea Crash 1 is honestly not very good. How you consider it better than one of the most influential and immaculate platformers of all time is baffling, honestly.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
On the topic of Super Mario 64, although I will admit I like can't go very long without playing it for a few giggles, I still think it hasn't aged that well. It doesn't have that many courses and IMO every single one of the later ones are terrible (and when you only got, like, 15ish courses, having one unenjoyable one already feels like a ripoff, imagine several), the camera doesn't help and sometimes it makes navigating Mario hard, and I find most of the courses' side missions to be just a bunch of chores.
I still have fun with it, but mostly with the first few stages. It's odd how much I don't like the Mario series, yet I've been a solo Mario main in Smash since always.

finalark

SNORLAX
On the topic of Super Mario 64, although I will admit I like can't go very long without playing it for a few giggles, I still think it hasn't aged that well. It doesn't have that many courses and IMO every single one of the later ones are terrible (and when you only got, like, 15ish courses, having one unenjoyable one already feels like a ripoff, imagine several), the camera doesn't help and sometimes it makes navigating Mario hard, and I find most of the courses' side missions to be just a bunch of chores.
I still have fun with it, but mostly with the first few stages. It's odd how much I don't like the Mario series, yet I've been a solo Mario main in Smash since always.
I strongly agree. For me, Mario 64 is a game that's fun for the first few hours but gets less so as it progresses. It almost feels like the meat of the game's budget and effort went exclusively into the first half.

Not to mention how strangely linear the later courses get, especially when you've spent the first half of the game in large, open levels that force you to explore.

On the note of Mario, am I the only one who was never that impressed with Mario 3? I played the GBA version as a kid long before I knew it was supposed to be some kind of big deal and I never really thought it was anything particularly head-turning. It's always just kinda been an inferior Mario World to me.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
On the note of Mario, am I the only one who was never that impressed with Mario 3? I played the GBA version as a kid long before I knew it was supposed to be some kind of big deal and I never really thought it was anything particularly head-turning. It's always just kinda been an inferior Mario World to me.
I like SMB3 but, in my opinion, there's no way in hell it's better than SMW. Then again, because I grew up with SMW and I played and made several hacks for the game, I might be biased, but I don't think think platformers can get that much better than SMW. NSMBWii is, in my opinion, a mechanically superior game when compared to SMW, but I much prefer the level design of the latter. That's the only thing holding it back from being better than SMW, for me, sometimes I feel like NSMBWii's levels are a bit obnoxious and don't feel as smooth and Worl'd's. I think SMB3 stands in a similar position: It has a lot of stuff going for it that should make it better than World (better items, for example), but I'd take World's physics any day of the millenium over SMB3's, and since these games bank everything on those physics, I find SMW far more enjoyable, therefore far more fun, and thus I like it more.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
I do not like Fire Emblem Fates. While the other FE's had a hint of anime to them, this thing is %100 uguu senpai. We have crossed the threshold. Also the DLC prices are a scam, but I feel like this isn't unpopular.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'd say it's less popular or unpopular, and more divisive. The games have created a crack in the fanbase that'd make the Grand Canyon jealous. I could consider an opinion on either side unpopular at this point. It's that bad.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
I do not like Fire Emblem Fates. While the other FE's had a hint of anime to them, this thing is %100 uguu senpai. We have crossed the threshold. Also the DLC prices are a scam, but I feel like this isn't unpopular.
But you haven't played it yet. You can't judge it until you play it.

finalark

SNORLAX
But you haven't played it yet. You can't judge it until you play it.
Imports bro.

That being said, I do totally feel VillageofFitness VillageofFitness when it comes to the direction the series' style took. Even since the dawn of the 10s anime, manga and a number of JRPGs have started going down the same dark path that comic books took in the 90s. Everything is hyper-tailored towards themes and archetypes that the otaku crowd loves with little deviation, leaving it 100% otaku-centric and alienating casual fans and non-fans who might otherwise be interested if the themes are archetypes weren't so limited.

BTWs, replace "otaku" with "comic book fans" and you'll see why Marvel went bankrupt and why for years nobody read comics unless they were backward and from Japan.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Imports bro.

That being said, I do totally feel VillageofFitness VillageofFitness when it comes to the direction the series' style took. Even since the dawn of the 10s anime, manga and a number of JRPGs have started going down the same dark path that comic books took in the 90s. Everything is hyper-tailored towards themes and archetypes that the otaku crowd loves with little deviation, leaving it 100% otaku-centric and alienating casual fans and non-fans who might otherwise be interested if the themes are archetypes weren't so limited.

BTWs, replace "otaku" with "comic book fans" and you'll see why Marvel went bankrupt and why for years nobody read comics unless they were backward and from Japan.
Which is exactly why Fates appeals to someone like me!
T__T
But really, as an outsider to the series, Fates does look a hell of a lot different than say Path of Radiance

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Which is exactly why Fates appeals to someone like me!
T__T
But really, as an outsider to the series, Fates does look a hell of a lot different than say Path of Radiance
You know how you can tell that PoR is from the 2000s and that Fates is from the 10s?

In PoR Ike has a little sister. Initially, Mist is quiet, reserved and is generally given the "not now, kiddo" treatment from her superiors. Her learning to heal and support Ike and his army is presented as empowerment to her and presents her as brave and supportive towards the Greil mercenaries.

In Fates you have two little sisters who are both naive, immature and whose entire personality is OMG I WUB YOU BIG BRO

I may have to bite my tongue on that since that's just what I've heard around the web and the impression I've gotten from trailers, maybe it will get changed in the official English version

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
It also doesn't help that there's like, implied incest.

because the Nohr queen is also Kamui's mother or something, that's why he has dragon blood.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It also doesn't help that there's like, implied incest.

because the Nohr queen is also Kamui's mother or something, that's why he has dragon blood.
Implied? The game straight up has it.

Azura is your cousin and they push her to being :4corrin: love interest, Hoshido are your half siblings and even then Fire Emblem has been doing incest for so long that it's always been there since FE4. It's reason why it didn't come to the west when they were trying to localize FE4 without having to rewrite the whole damn thing. And the later games have implied ones as well (see:4lucina: and Owain)

I'd say it's less popular or unpopular, and more divisive. The games have created a crack in the fanbase that'd make the Grand Canyon jealous. I could consider an opinion on either side unpopular at this point. It's that bad.
Awakening kinda started it but it was still down to Earth like the other games. Fates went over the top to the point where it feels like a parody. Plus it doesn't help that with the hints of it probably having some type of censorship somewhere within the dialogue and content shows that this game is probably gonna be the most diversified game in the series to where FE13 will start getting the benefit of doubt

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
This is actually Smash related.
Every second I spend on Melee's Event Mode is a second badly spent.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Yeah Melee's events are kinda BS. I just cheated my way through the ones where you could choose characters with Master Hand. :p

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Yeah Melee's events are kinda BS. I just cheated my way through the ones where you could choose characters with Master Hand. :p
Yep, that thing can be pretty freaking terrible, especially the later events (oh god that Majora's Mask one).
I decided to restart playing Melee earlier this year. Because I lost my old memory card which had my old save in it from when I was a kid and had barely any sort of noteworthy progess tbh I had to redo everything in a new one, and I had to redo it on my own, I didn't know any of the exploits you could do in the events. Now I'm playing Melee on an emulator and I feel no remorse at all for using all exploits I can manage to do.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
User was warned for this post
I don't know why, but I just don't struggle with bullet hell shooters (see: Undertale, Touhou) You really need to crank up the difficulty for me to have any challenge whatsoever.

Yep, that thing can be pretty freaking terrible, especially the later events (oh god that Majora's Mask one).
I decided to restart playing Melee earlier this year. Because I lost my old memory card which had my old save in it from when I was a kid and had barely any sort of noteworthy progess tbh I had to redo everything in a new one, and I had to redo it on my own, I didn't know any of the exploits you could do in the events. Now I'm playing Melee on an emulator and I feel no remorse at all for using all exploits I can manage to do.
If you even knew the insane extents just to get all the trophys XD

Last edited by a moderator:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I don't know why, but I just don't struggle with bullet hell shooters (see: Undertale, Touhou) You really need to crank up the difficulty for me to have any challenge whatsoever.
Eh, that's not exactly "unpopular", maybe you're just good at them. Though, one needs to define what it means to be "good" at bullet hell shooters.
On Easy, I can absolutely breeze through Touhou 6-14 without any trouble, hell, I could probably 1LC one of them if I tried hard enough.
On Normal, well, finishing all of them is still extremely easy to me, but doing a 1CC is a different story. I'm guaranteed to finish all of the Touhou games if you give me the option to continue atleast once, but if you don't, so far, I've only 1CCd EOSD, PCB, IN, POFV, MOF and 10D.
On Hard, again, I'm guaranteed to finish them without breaking a sweat if you give me the option to continue, but 1CCing Hard for me is out of question.
And I never did any serious attempt at Lunatic, heh, can't say anything about that.

Last edited:

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Eh, that's not exactly "unpopular", maybe you're just good at them. Though, one needs to define what it means to be "good" at bullet hell shooters.
On Easy, I can absolutely breeze through Touhou 6-14 without any trouble, hell, I could probably 1LC one of them if I tried hard enough.
On Normal, well, finishing all of them is still extremely easy to me, but doing a 1CC is a different story. I'm guaranteed to finish all of the Touhou games if you give me the option to continue atleast once, but if you don't, so far, I've only 1CCd EOSD, PCB, IN, POFV, MOF and 10D.
On Hard, again, I'm guaranteed to finish them without breaking a sweat if you give me the option to continue, but 1CCing Hard for me is out of question.
And I never did any serious attempt at Lunatic, heh, can't say anything about that.
I tried lunatic once on PCB...
It's amazing the difficulty spike between hard and lunatic. *What I mean about it is that I see so many people struggling incredibly hard at their first time playing. I beat PCB (first one I ever played) on my fifth try without any prior knowledge of Touhou and being complete arse at Galaga (still am). Trying to clear up some confusion there.*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More opinions I might have left out:I am an anime fan, but I feel that some games that have an anime design simply shouldn't have to be more enjoyable.
Someone kill everything pac man with fire, except Ms. Pac Man
I find it interesting that only I really appreciate NES games since I started playing them with nostalgia blinders off. Speaking of which (considering NES library):
Super Mario Bros (1 and 3), both Legend of Zeldas, every Castlevania (even Simon's Quest), Ninja Gaiden, and Punch Out are enjoyable, but have severly questionable design choices that ultimately leaves them off my list of the best I've ever played.
Battletoads never got hard until the final level. The thing that truly irked me about though is that health bars are essentially pointless in the game.
Roguelikes are fun, but a few tweaks to the generated rooms (there are so many where i can spawn next to the room exit) would make them amazing for me.

Last edited:

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
For Touhou, I don't have a problem in Easy/Normal (Hard/Lunatic is a no for me because they are literally hard of course). But, one thing that bugs me is how I always get hit in earlier stages. Especially when I try to get a higher score than my previous one or going for the No Death and/or No Bombs run. Sometimes it is my fault that I intentionally get hit for no reason other than being an idiot. That moment to me could be the same for the Dodonpachi and Mushihisama games.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
If it weren't for bullsh*t like enemy reinforcements attacking you on the turn they're spawned, I think Fire Emblem Awakening would be my favorite game in the series. It gets a lot of hate but honestly, it has the most memorable story and characters in a Fire Emblem game in my opinion. The story starts off pretty generic and slow paced but the twists that come later are what makes it stand out for me. It's amazing how it did the Bioshock Infinite twist before that game even came out.

The main villain is you from an alternate reality.

Lucina and Robin are also very memorable compared to other Fire Emblem protagonists.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
If it weren't for bullsh*t like enemy reinforcements attacking you on the turn they're spawned, I think Fire Emblem Awakening would be my favorite game in the series. It gets a lot of hate but honestly, it has the most memorable story and characters in a Fire Emblem game in my opinion. The story starts off pretty generic and slow paced but the twists that come later are what makes it stand out for me. It's amazing how it did the Bioshock Infinite twist before that game even came out.

The main villain is you from an alternate reality.

Lucina and Robin are also very memorable compared to other Fire Emblem protagonists.
People hate Fire Emblem? Especially Awakening? I've yet to meet someone who hates it. (This is the internet though)

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Xavix Xavix

Fire Emblem Awakening specifically gets a lot of hate from older Fire Emblem fans. I think it's due to it's more pandering aspects like the marriage system and how Robin is allowed to marry anyone of the opposite gender.

finalark

SNORLAX
I never really got the Awakening hate.

Most of the usual complaints I hear from hardcore fans are thing you wouldn't pick up on unless you've dumped dozens upon dozens of hours into it. And frankly speaking, if a game can keep you hooked for that long its doing something right.

Honestly, I think the real reason why a number of hardcore fans actually hate Awakening is because it pushed the series into the mainstream in the west. IMO most of it is just an elitist "I liked FE before it was cool" attitude. At least from what I've observed.

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
I never really got the Awakening hate.

Most of the usual complaints I hear from hardcore fans are thing you wouldn't pick up on unless you've dumped dozens upon dozens of hours into it. And frankly speaking, if a game can keep you hooked for that long its doing something right.

Honestly, I think the real reason why a number of hardcore fans actually hate Awakening is because it pushed the series into the mainstream in the west. IMO most of it is just an elitist "I liked FE before it was cool" attitude. At least from what I've observed.
Also there is a lot of hate swimming around for the reclassing mechanic.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
I used to frequent the Serenes Forums a lot till I kinda got sick of the elitism from the GBA forums. They hate a lot of things from Awakening. Like the introduction of 'Casual' mode, the reintroduction of the reclassing system, the fanservice DLC, the story, the fact that the support system is not like in the other games where its limited, hates the fact that Hard mode is too easy, hates the fact that Lunatic mode is too hard, Emmeryn is obviously good, Gangrel is obviously evil, questionable character designs, S-supports are too cheesy and the children.
Obviously not everyone there hates Awakening but those are common complaints I heard from those who hates Awakening,

finalark

SNORLAX
Also there is a lot of hate swimming around for the reclassing mechanic.
Ironically, it was also in New Mystery of the Emblem, which a ton of hardcore fans absolutely love.

Double standards, much?

EDIT: Although I will add that I never played New Mystery because I'm not hardcore enough to import, so there might have been some major changes that made the system less fun and interesting.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Well, my reaction when I played FE: Shadow Dragon:
"I don't get it, this isn't fun."

and my reaction when I played FE: Awakening:
"I get it, now, this is really fun, why don't more people like this?"

Soooooooo as an outsider to the FE series, I will say Awakening is far more appealing than any the other titles, atleast more appealing than SD.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The only thing I can accept as a legit complaint about FEA is the Map Design, the supports (which FE always had a problem in) and the story (which like every other game in the series is just as bland).

The complaints about the story is BS due pretty much every game in the series goes through the same pattern a lot.

• A lord with a legendary weapon and a rag tag team of Warriors and other fighters go on an adventure
  • Defeat a corrupt and evil Kingdom/Country
  • Kill a Dragon/God

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Fire Emblem Awakening hate only spawned from the fanbase that emerged with it (although, there are far worst fanbases out there).

I thought Awakening was pretty good. Probably my third favorite FE game. Trust me, as an American kid that grew up playing Fire Emblem games on the Famicom and Super Famicom, as well as owning the VHS of the Fire Emblem anime way before Melee was released, I didn't find any real reason to hate it. Seemed like a FE game to me.

Speaking of, my favorite FE game is...Shadow Dragon. It was a solid remake. It didn't reinvent the wheel, but it literally wasn't supposed to. The main reason I enjoyed it so much was the online multiplayer. I had a blast playing that with friends. I feel a majority of people forgot that mode existed.

The graphics were something to be desired, though. Medeus looked like an absolute joke.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I really enjoyed Awakening, but it did have a lack of variety in mission objectives and map design compared to older games in the series.

That being said the story and dialogue was some of the best I've seen from a FE game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom