• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
OK, I'll post a list of liked and hated games from each generation:

8th Gen:
Liked:
- Smash 4 has more problems than any other Smash game. Despite that, it's still my favorite game behind Brawl.
Disliked:
- N/A

7th Gen:
Liked:
- Sonic 2006 is my favorite Sonic game
- NEW Super Mario Bros. Wii is my favorite 2D Mario game.
- Super Paper Mario and Legend of the Seven Stars are the two best RPGs.
- 64 isn't that great but 64 DS is amazing.
- Skyward Sword is overhated.
- Brawl is my favorite Smash game.
Disliked:
- The original Galaxy isn't all that great any more.

6th Gen:
Liked:
- N/A
Disliked:
- Heroes was horrible.
- The first two Paper Mario games bored the **** out of me.
- Melee is my least favorite.

5th Gen & Older:
Liked:
Disliked:
- Neither version of Super Mario Bros. 2 is good.
- The original Zelda was never that great of a game.
- The III series is the worst series.

I didn't include the whole Twilight Princess and Windwaker thing because TP is on both GC and Wii, but it's fair to note that TP is associated more with the Wii than the GC. Do you notice any patterns here?
Yeah, they're opinions that not everyone agrees on. Which is the entire point of this thread.
Of course people are going to blast the popular ones and praise the divisive ones. Because the entire foundation of this thread is: "What do you like that others don't/hate that others like?" And games like SM64, Zelda 1, Melee and such are critically acclaimed. Not everything is posted just because they're out for some other purpose.

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
I'll take it a step further; Sonic 2006 is my favorite Sonic game. While we're on the subject of Sonic:
- Heroes was horrible.
I agree.
- Black Knight really wasn't all that bad.
It wasn't bad it was ****
- Live & Learn is a decent song, but not amazing.
It is iconic but if it was a real song in the real music market without any ties to Sonic it would be torn apart.
- Silver is my favorite Sonic character.
Lol no. His first appearance is in an awful game and Silver to me looks like something stolen off of DeviantArt.
- Sonic as a series has no future. SEGA doesn't know what to do with it and Nintendo couldn't make a good Sonic game.
Nintendo could, Sega suddenly reverting to employing a shady looking company with no experience.
- The new voice actors suck.
Sonic voice acting always sucked.
- Super Mario Bros. 3 is without a doubt my least favorite Mario game. It controls like *** and the difficulty curve is ********.
SMB2 was the worst.
- NEW Super Mario Bros. Wii is my favorite 2D Mario game.
Re-hashed re-hashed re-hashed.
- The original Galaxy isn't all that great any more.
It is, it's the 3rd best Mario in my opinion. Coming after 64 and Legend of the Seven Stars.
Agree on the latter disagree on the former.
- Neither version of Super Mario Bros. 2 is good.
That is correct.
- Even so, Sticker Star is the only truly bad Mario game.
What about Mario is Missing?
Absolutely no change whatsoever except it's portable and adds a couple of characters and makes one of those OP.
Well completely the opposite there.
- Wind Waker is inferior to Twilight Princess.
Twilight Princess didn't feel like a Zelda game and tried too hard to be grown up so I disagree.
- Skyward Sword is overhated.
Wholeheartedly agree. However that opinion is growing into a pretty popular one now.
- The original Zelda was never that great of a game.
It twas'
- Brawl is my favorite Smash game.
Gameplay wise it's the worst by a country mile.
- Melee is my least favorite.
You're joking right? Is that because you're bad at it?
- Smash 4 has more problems than any other Smash game. Despite that, it's still my favorite game behind Brawl.
It really doesn't. Care to list them?
- Project M is vastly overrated and Brawl- is the better hack in every possible way.
Brawl Minus is pretty pointless from a competitive point of view and it's a joke really making all the characters have ridiculous ability, Project M is great made the game feel like Melee 1.5.
- Smash 4 has the worst roster of the series.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH......... wait you're serious?
- Roy is the only DLC I care about other than Super Mario Maker and Pirate Ship.
You don't like Melee or Project M but the only DLC you care for is Roy, seems weird.
I personally think Sonic 06 is a horrible game, but my god is your response edgy. If someone likes the game and claims it's their favorite their opinion isn't flawed

My God is your response whiny. It's flawed because it's pretty damn wrong.

"Oh no someone thinks a different Smash game is better than Melee. Allow me to tell them how wrong they are" Very original dude.

It's obviously a correct view as well, Melee is the best fighter ever. As always with these things there is more people complaining about stuff like this than there are comments like this. Also your response to Spak Spak 's comment is WAY more edgy than his "that opinion is flawed" comment. You're being hypocritical here and picking a fight for the sake of it.
but where does "flawed" go into this?
Flawed as in liking a game that is awful buggy and tedious.

And there's a problem with that? I'll be honest, I like Sonic '06, and so do others, and that's completely okay. No one is "flawed" just because heaven forbid they like a video game.
It'd be like if I lashed at someone because they liked Bay's Transformers, or PewDiePie. At the end of the day it's only an opinion, and it's not like they're an awful person for having it.

Also on a side note I'm confused by the "nostalgia" argument. Because they like Sonic '06 and SM64DS there has to be some conspiracy theory to it? I mean, couldn't it just be they like the games? It's surely a stretch I know, but it is plausible.
He isn't saying they are an awful opinion just that it's a bad game and you have to be pretty oblivious to think it was good especially with Sonic 06.

Liking 64 DS more makes absolutely no sense. The differences between the two game are very minimal.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
And that's a problem why? Again, I don't think 06 was a good game, but if someone enjoys the bugs and glitches who am I to say their opinion is flawed?

He isn't saying they are an awful opinion just that it's a bad game and you have to be pretty oblivious to think it was good especially with Sonic 06.
So in other words he's saying they're awful opinions?

Liking 64 DS more makes absolutely no sense. The differences between the two game are very minimal.
This is true, but minuscule changes can make a huge difference (i.e Melee vs Project M)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

And once again, what's the point? If he likes one or the other, that shouldn't matter.
This isn't the "Let's shoot fish in a barrel" thread. This is a thread meant for unpopular opinions. This is the same mentality that brought the Smash 4 Unpopular Opinions thread down.

Also, what's with the bold, italics, and underlining? It doesn't make your point any more stellar or important just because you add special effects.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
And that's a problem why? Again, I don't think 06 was a good game, but if someone enjoys the bugs and glitches who am I to say their opinion is flawed?

This is true, but minuscule changes can make a huge difference (i.e Melee vs Project M)
Why the hell would you enjoy a game for bugs and glitches unless it's helpful or fun? Which Sonic 06's aren't

No they're just wrong.

But in Mario 64 DS the little changes make no difference.

Oh God here comes the salt.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

I've had more fun breaking 2006 than I've had playing any other Sonic game. Except for maybe Generations.
As for 64 DS, 20 extra missions and three new characters is hardly miniscule.
Glad to see the unpopularity taking place here.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Yeah, they're opinions that not everyone agrees on. Which is the entire point of this thread.
Of course people are going to blast the popular ones and praise the divisive ones. Because the entire foundation of this thread is: "What do you like that others don't/hate that others like?" And games like SM64, Zelda 1, Melee and such are critically acclaimed. Not everything is posted just because they're out for some other purpose.
Sure, but I at least expect some explanation for why they say something. If they said they didn't like Zelda 1 because the dungeons are hidden in arbitrary places you would never find without a copy of Nintendo Power by your side, the combat is pretty horrible, the three tracks in-game get on his nerves, it didn't age well, and the gameplay itself is flat-out boring, I wouldn't have given them any flack. If they gave reasons they didn't like Melee or liked SM64DS over SM64 or liked '06 over literally every Sonic game and they were good, I would have respected his opinions. For instance, I heavily disagree on his analysis of SMB3 and stated as such, but respect his opinion on the matter because he stated his reasoning.

Also, '06 and Boom bother me to no end because I'm a programmer and those games are atrociously coded.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
PM is basically Brawl plus Melee physics. It's more the lovechild of two games than slightly altered Melee.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Also, '06 and Boom bother me to no end because I'm a programmer and those games are atrociously coded.
Implying you have to be a programmer to recognize the games were coded badly?

Why the hell would you enjoy a game for bugs and glitches unless it's helpful or fun? Which Sonic 06's aren't

No they're just wrong.

But in Mario 64 DS the little changes make no difference.

Oh God here comes the salt.
Why the hell do you care? Does it pain you to know there are people who enjoy a game you don't? I will admit it does pain me to see people butthurt over such a dumb issue.

PM is basically Brawl plus Melee physics. It's more the lovechild of two games than slightly altered Melee.
So therefore it's the better game right? It has everything Melee does plus more! Why don't more Melee players play it then? Is it because small changes can make a huge difference?

Edit: Also, you can always just edit your posts.

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
And once again, what's the point? If he likes one or the other, that shouldn't matter.
This isn't the "Let's shoot fish in a barrel" thread. This is a thread meant for unpopular opinions. This is the same mentality that brought the Smash 4 Unpopular Opinions thread down.

Also, what's with the bold, italics, and underlining? It doesn't make your point any more stellar or important just because you add special effects.
Shooting fish in a barrel? I am definitely not trying to make easy targets like you Kurri ★ Kurri ★ are trying to make. I am not the only one critiquing other's opinions, everyone's doing it regularly. You are following the same mentality as me if not worse. You are trying to find faults. The bold, italics and underlining is one of many examples of your nit picking. Why did I do that? To make it stand out because I made an error with the quoting system. Bottom line: you are just being querulous.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I've had more fun breaking 2006 than I've had playing any other Sonic game. Except for maybe Generations.
As for 64 DS, 20 extra missions and three new characters is hardly miniscule.
Glad to see the unpopularity taking place here.
3 new characters each change the gameplay slightly and how would 30 missions change your opinion of a game that significantly? The level design hasn't significantly changed and none of the new stars are huge objectives; they're just sprinkled around the game in small areas (most of which were in the original).
No, implying that it bothers me more because I know what should have been done to prevent the glitches that occur and I coulda fixed it in under half a day.

So therefore it's the better game right? It has everything Melee does plus more! Why don't more Melee players play it then? Is it because small changes can make a huge difference?
Because PM is poorly balanced and the physics engine is still based on Brawl, making it really wonky at times.

Sorry, too much DGames recently.

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice

Why the hell do you care? Does it pain you to know there are people who enjoy a game you don't? I will admit it does pain me to see people butthurt over such a dumb issue.

Was someone else complaining about a post being backhanded before? Well this is another one to complain about.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
3 new characters each change the gameplay slightly and how would 30 missions change your opinion of a game that significantly? The level design hasn't significantly changed and none of the new stars are huge objectives; they're just sprinkled around the game in small areas (most of which were in the original).

No, implying that it bothers me more because I know what should have been done to prevent the glitches that occur and I coulda fixed it in under half a day.

Because PM is poorly balanced and the physics engine is still based on Brawl, making it really wonky at times.

Sorry, too much DGames recently.
Roll it back, Mr. Game Developer. I think you need to learn what the word "opinion" means.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Shooting fish in a barrel? I am definitely not trying to make easy targets like you Kurri ★ Kurri ★ are trying to make. I am not the only one critiquing other's opinions, everyone's doing it regularly. You are following the same mentality as me if not worse. You are trying to find faults. The bold, italics and underlining is one of many examples of your nit picking. Why did I do that? To make it stand out because I made an error with the quoting system. Bottom line: you are just being querulous.
And how am I worse? All I've been saying is it's okay to not like or dislike things. That's all.

Honestly I'm done here, this is going nowhere. If apparently I'm a big bully for pointing out that it's okay to have an opinion than so be it. But I still stand by that both you and Spak are being petty for something as menial as an unpopular opinion in a thread about unpopular opinions.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Nice thesaurus! Discussing opinions and flat out saying someone is wrong are two different things.

You're 18 y/o, be quiet.

Because PM is poorly balanced.
So is Melee, only 8 characters are actually viable and that number shrinks the farther the meta pushes.
inb4: But those 8 characters are balanced!!!!
Then don't make a game with 25 characters.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Roll it back, Mr. Game Developer. I think you need to learn what the word "opinion" means.
I know what the work "opinion" means and I'm not sure how this thread works now, but back when I started posting in it we used to comment on other people's unpopular opinions and look into the validity of them, as well as posting our own. If the thread doesn't work like that now, I'm sorry, I'll shut up, leave, and I'll keep my opinions to myself.

EDIT:

You're 18 y/o, be quiet.
lol you're 19 years old, like you're one to talk.

So is Melee, only 8 characters are actually viable and that number shrinks the farther the meta pushes.
The top 12 are fairly balanced and can be viable. The bottom 13 are for people to style on scrubs with. PM is even less balanced than Melee and is also really jank. 64 is by far the most balanced Smash game of all time and I think Melee is after it, but we can determine that after Sm4sh has been out for 10 or so years.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I know what the work "opinion" means and I'm not sure how this thread works now, but back when I started posting in it we used to comment on other people's unpopular opinions and look into the validity of them, as well as posting our own. If the thread doesn't work like that now, I'm sorry, I'll shut up, leave, and I'll keep my opinions to myself.
You do that.

While I'm here:
Revengeance was my favorite Metal Gear game.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
People discuss opinions all the time here, but again, there's a distinct difference between saying "I don't agree" and "Your opinion is flawed"

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
People discuss opinions all the time here, but again, there's a distinct difference between saying "I don't agree" and "Your opinion is flawed"
So I tried to make a funny jab after someone decided not to give any reasoning whatsoever for any his opinions except one and it exploded into a nuclear war.

Meh, whatever. I don't think that debating this is worth my time anymore. Spak out; I may be back in a few weeks/months after everyone has cooled down.

EDIT: lol "I was tried" isn't a legit statment. Whoops.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So I was tried to make a funny jab after someone decided not to give any reasoning whatsoever for any his opinions except one and it exploded into a nuclear war.

Meh, whatever. I don't think that debating this is worth my time anymore. Spak out; I may be back in a few weeks/months after everyone has cooled down.
This is why I use "/s" or " :^) " when I'm not serious. Text isn't the easiest way to get jokes.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
So I was tried to make a funny jab after someone decided not to give any reasoning whatsoever for any his opinions except one and it exploded into a nuclear war.

Hate to tell you this, friend, but nobody has to explain anything to you. Also, funny?
Oh man, this thread went nuts while I was gone.

I take it you have a hard time eating the learning curve?
It's not that. Once you've played one Street Fighter, you've played them all, with the exception of some gimmicks here and there like parrying and Focus Attacks. It's just that compared to II, IV, Alpha, and to some extent EX, III is very lackluster. The music isn't as memorable, neither are the characters, and the story is stupid even for Street Fighter standards. It had some good ideas, namely Q and the parrying mechanic, both of which I wish would come back, but overall the III series just doesn't live up to the more well-known games.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Hate to tell you this, friend, but nobody has to explain anything to you. Also, funny?

It's not that. Once you've played one Street Fighter, you've played them all, with the exception of some gimmicks here and there like parrying and Focus Attacks. It's just that compared to II, IV, Alpha, and to some extent EX, III is very lackluster. The music isn't as memorable, neither are the characters, and the story is stupid even for Street Fighter standards. It had some good ideas, namely Q and the parrying mechanic, both of which I wish would come back, but overall the III series just doesn't live up to the more well-known games.
tbf, it is at least nice to discuss opinions so people understand your views better.

I don't know if you can outright say playing one means you've played them all. The differences are still significant enough that you're not just going to bop someone in USFIV because you bopped them in Third Strike.

Also, the music is top-notch, but I like rap and hip-hop so I'm biased.

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
I posted this "unpopular opinion" jokingly a while back, but it appears to be time to reiterate it:
I enjoy video games.

Kappa
Why such salt, friends?

Alright, serious time now. I dunno how unpopular this is, but: I've been playing Just Cause 2 lately, and I think the size of the game world is ultimately more of a weakness than a strength when coupled with some other places where the game is lacking. There's no good way to get from one side of the island to the other quickly, a lot of the ground vehicles are difficult to control with finesse if you don't have a game controller, and air vehicles like helicopters are hard to find unless you want to pay for a heavy drop every single time you want to get airborne. Furthermore, there's no ingame radio or anything, so once I do get going, I have nothing to listen to but ambient sounds and the occasional non-diegetic music lick. Flying a helicopter over the span of kilometers with no music sucks.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
tbf, it is at least nice to discuss opinions so people understand your views better.

I don't know if you can outright say playing one means you've played them all. The differences are still significant enough that you're not just going to bop someone in USFIV because you bopped them in Third Strike.

And I like jazz, but I'm still going to take issue if a soundtrack consists of nothing but jazz pieces. Variety plays a huge part in the quality of a soundtrack, which is why games like Sonic Adventure get praised for their soundtrack.

And I forgot another one:
- From a gameplay standpoint, I liked Metroid: Other M.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
Nice thesaurus! Discussing opinions and flat out saying someone is wrong are two different things.

You're 18 y/o, be quiet.

Will you stop trying to insult anyone who disagrees with you? I have good knowledge of the dictionary so you go "haha thesauras." Even though your 19 you insult someone who slightly younger than you and you're acting like you're in a school playground.

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice

Good move.

finalark

SNORLAX
I cannot for the life of me stand rap and hip-hop. But even then I never really found III's OST to be particularly intrusive or annoying.

Besides

THE THIRD STRIKE IS THE HARDEST

It's not that. Once you've played one Street Fighter, you've played them all, with the exception of some gimmicks here and there like parrying and Focus Attacks.
Maybe to the layman, but saying that SFIII is like SFII is like saying Melee and Brawl are the same game.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I cannot for the life of me stand rap and hip-hop. But even then I never really found III's OST to be particularly intrusive or annoying.

Besides

THE THIRD STRIKE IS THE HARDEST

Maybe to the layman, but saying that SFIII is like SFII is like saying Melee and Brawl are the same game.
Generally, they function the same. Pressing A is still a jab, pressing B is still a special move, the goal is still to knock the opponent out. There's no radical difference between them aside from game speed.

D

Deleted member

Generally, they function the same. Pressing A is still a jab, pressing B is still a special move, the goal is still to knock the opponent out. There's no radical difference between them aside from game speed.
Let's not forget the difference in physics, and that Brawl lacks any sort of wave-dashing or L-cancelling.

EDIT: Brawl also has random tripping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Will you stop trying to insult anyone who disagrees with you? I have good knowledge of the dictionary so you go "haha thesauras." Even though your 19 you insult someone who slightly younger than you and you're acting like your in a school playground.
I don't insult those who disagree with me, I insult those who push their opinion as right.

Note that I agreed Sonic 06 isn't a great game, but I'm not going to say someone is wrong for enjoying it.

Also, it's not "your" it's "you're".

And I like jazz, but I'm still going to take issue if a soundtrack consists of nothing but jazz pieces. Variety plays a huge part in the quality of a soundtrack, which is why games like Sonic Adventure get praised for their soundtrack.

And I forgot another one:
- From a gameplay standpoint, I liked Metroid: Other M.
I dunno, I feel the songs in Third Strike are varied enough, but I understand your point.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't insult those who disagree with me, I insult those who push their opinion as right.

Note that I agreed Sonic 06 isn't a great game, but I'm not going to say someone is wrong for enjoying it.

Also, it's not "your" it's "you're"

I dunno, I feel the songs in Third Strike are varied enough, but I understand your point.
Keep in mind that there were two other games in the series. Kind of funny that III has three games and IV has four.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice

Also, it's not "your" it's "you're"

Wow you've resorted to being a grammar Nazi? Jeez you can see I did it right a couple of words before. Well how ironic is it that there is no full stop at the end of than sentence?

Soooo you insult people who have a good opinion. Well we can all hop on the insult train can't we? We could try and insult you right? I'm sure you'd loooove that.

Yeesh, what the hell just happened here?
Kurri ★ Kurri ★ being an idiot. That's what happened.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Yeesh, what the hell just happened here?

And why are there so many versions of Street Fighter games?
Downloading patches wasn't really a thing in the past. If a developer wanted to make an update to a game they had to make an entirely new version. That and it makes more money. Thankfully there's only ever going to be one version of Street Fighter V. With the power of patches and DLC they don't have to resort to making new versions.

Wow you've resorted to being a grammar Nazi? Jeez you can see I did it right a couple of words before. Well how ironic is it that there is no full stop at the end of than sentence?

Soooo you insult people who have a good opinion. Well we can all hop on the insult train can't we? We could try and insult you right? I'm sure you'd loooove that.
Alright, insult my opinion...

Kurri ★ Kurri ★ being an idiot. That's what happened.
Okay

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
Downloading patches wasn't really a thing in the past. If a developer wanted to make an update to a game they had to make an entirely new version. That and it makes more money. Thankfully there's only ever going to be one version of Street Fighter V. With the power of patches and DLC they don't have to resort to making new versions.

Alright, insult my opinion...

Okay
So I assume you didn't get the point of my last post. I was showing you how disrespectful and pretty dumb it is to insult everyone in your path.

Also thanks for the sarcastic like it helps me more than it will satisfy you.

EDIT: Thanks for another one you are really helping my like count tick along.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Buffering, slower movement, slower falling speeds, and lack of comboing ability (and removal of DI in Sm4sh) have all hurt the gameplay experience at any level of play.
I see you haven't played Sm4sh at all.

Gotta love that blatant denial of reality Melee fans have when it comes to buffering. Yeah, sure, a 1 frame mistime should lead to your move not coming out at all. That's definitely a better alternative than once in a blue moon doing the wrong move because a buffer stores all of one action a few frames in advance.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So I assume you didn't get the point of my last post. I was showing you how disrespectful and pretty dumb it is to insult everyone in your path.
Okay

Also thanks for the sarcastic like it helps me more than it will satisfy you.
No problem

I see you haven't played Sm4sh at all.

Gotta love that blatant denial of reality Melee fans have when it comes to buffering. Yeah, sure, a 1 frame mistime should lead to your move not coming out at all. That's definitely a better alternative than once in a blue moon doing the wrong move because a buffer stores all of one action a few frames in advance.
He has, Spak just prefers Melee.

I personally don't see a problem with buffering, a lot of fighting games have it. But maybe Smash is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom