• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I don't like Fire Emblem!

I've tried to like it. I don't like it as a game, and I really don't like it's inclusion in Smash after Marth, Roy, and Ike.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I agree. It wasn't really innovative as far as turn based RPGs go. It had a whole lot to do, and the story was decent. Music score was well done, but the core game, and mechanics weren't anything I wouldn't compare less to a Pokémon game. But I guess all turn based RPGs kind of have the same formula, or similar operations.

Edit Iceweasel Iceweasel

Last edited:

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I agree. It wasn't really innovative as far as turn based RPGs go. It had a whole lot to do, and the story was decent. Music score was well done, but the core game, and mechanics weren't anything I wouldn't compare less to a Pokémon game. But I guess all turn based RPGs kind of have the same formula, or similar operations.

Edit Iceweasel Iceweasel
I like the music and the story and whatnot. I think the battle system is horrid, boring, drawn out, and overall stupid. I tried so hard to like it. If Fire Emblem just have Final Fantasy-esque battles, I would love it.

EDIT: Can you imagine having to move your Pokemon around just to attack?

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I like the music and the story and whatnot. I think the battle system is horrid, boring, drawn out, and overall stupid. I tried so hard to like it. If Fire Emblem just have Final Fantasy-esque battles, I would love it.

Sorry man, I meant that more towards my comments for FF7. But im relatively the same on FE games. The battle system is cool because you can move around the board, but the encounters take too long to stay interesting for me. but im a casual player of the series, and only played awakening to maybe 1/3 of its story. I don't think its bad, just not all the great.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Skullgirls, King of Fighters 13, Tekken, and Persona 4 Arena are all severely under appreciated titles. They offer the same depth as melee and street fighter in my opinion. But I don't understand the lack of community. or rather the smaller size of community compared to other titles.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

What I'm getting here is that you don't like Tactical RPGS
Games like Final Fantasy Tactics
Or Disgaea

Which is fair, not everyone enjoys them. I do, Fire Emblem is the only reason I want a 3DS.

Skullgirls, King of Fighters 13, Tekken, and Persona 4 Arena are all severely under appreciated titles. They offer the same depth as melee and street fighter in my opinion. But I don't understand the lack of community. or rather the smaller size of community compared to other titles.
Because they're not Street Fighter. By this I don't mean slapping the Street Fighter name on it will change anything but that Street Fighter's gameplay appeals to the broadest amount of people. Plus Street Fighter is a bigger name.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Or Disgaea

Which is fair, not everyone enjoys them. I do, Fire Emblem is the only reason I want a 3DS.

Because they're not Street Fighter. By this I don't mean slapping the Street Fighter name on it will change anything but that Street Fighter's gameplay appeals to the broadest amount of people. Plus Street Fighter is a bigger name.
Nah, i like tactical RPG's, but i was saying that i think that in how much i hear of FF7, (For how "good" or "amazing" it is) i wasn't finding myself with they same opinion as the general fan. But, i do actually like Tactics more than 7. Objectively, they are the same, because they are turn based RPG's, but i never saw what other people who were so taken with 7 when i played it. Felt like any other RPG, but i prefer tactics over it. Sorry if i wasn't clear in what i wanted to say.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
In fact, as far as RPG's go in general FF Tactics is only second to Pkmn Silver in my personal favorites. I even keep them both ready to play on my phone!

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Nah, i like tactical RPG's, but i was saying that i think that in how much i hear of FF7, (For how "good" or "amazing" it is) i wasn't finding myself with they same opinion as the general fan. But, i do actually like Tactics more than 7. Objectively, they are the same, because they are turn based RPG's, but i never saw what other people who were so taken with 7 when i played it. Felt like any other RPG, but i prefer tactics over it. Sorry if i wasn't clear in what i wanted to say.
I was referring to Treedot Treedot there.

You're the second quote.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Or Disgaea

Yeah haha I just really don't like the battle system. It's too slow for me. Pokemon feels just right, Final Fantasy is pushing it. I'm more of a fast paced gamer, I really don't like being slowed down too much by things that aren't necessary, like moving your characters around a map. If I wanted to play a tabletop game, I'd play a tabletop game. On a table. Not my 3DS.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Yeah haha I just really don't like the battle system. It's too slow for me. Pokemon feels just right, Final Fantasy is pushing it. I'm more of a fast paced gamer, I really don't like being slowed down too much by things that aren't necessary, like moving your characters around a map. If I wanted to play a tabletop game, I'd play a tabletop game. On a table. Not my 3DS.
I sorta get what you mean, although I don't think tabletop is the best analogy, as Pokemon falls under that.

That said, I definitely wouldn't call moving your units around the map is unnecessary. I don't know how it's done in Fire Emblem, but in other TRPGs, the positioning of your units is crucial to defeating your enemy.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
In Fire Emblem, on the lower difficulties, you can simply spam your pre-promoted units or any strong unit and be done with it. While on larder difficulties like Lunatic mode, unit positioning, utilizing the weapon triangle and knowing when and where will reinforcements arrive is very crucial if you want all of your units to survive. If you turn permadeath mode on in Awakening and Fates, of course.

Speaking of Pokemon, I personally love Gen 5 in the Pokemon series due to the Pokemon roster, fair difficulty, a decent story and BW2 had tons of post-game content. So I felt somewhat disappointed in Pokemon X/Y where the Pokemon roster is really short, the difficulty is really easy and the story and the post game are nearly non-existent. Sure, the incoming Pokemon Z or Pokemon X/Y2 may fix the post game issue but I guess this is just me nitpicking.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I sorta get what you mean, although I don't think tabletop is the best analogy, as Pokemon falls under that.

That said, I definitely wouldn't call moving your units around the map is unnecessary. I don't know how it's done in Fire Emblem, but in other TRPGs, the positioning of your units is crucial to defeating your enemy.
Honestly I can't say I spent enough time with the game, but it was infuriating enough that I couldn't finish the demo.

finalark

SNORLAX
Man, people really don't get FFVII.

Obviously its overrated. That being said, we're at a point where the people praising it the high heaven and acting like its the single most important thing to happen to humankind since the Code of Hammurabi are damn near nonexistent. These days it's the vocal haters who are quick to denounce the game and throw around their hate that are more obnoxious.

That being said, I see people downplaying its importance and not really understanding how influential it was to the genre. And that's just ignorance.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Skullgirls isn't popular because it's basically gimped Marvel 2, despite being the best team fighting game that's relevant at all (unless you count KoF as a team fighting game, which in the vein of the Vs series it isn't technically).

KoF IDK why it isn't popular. Probably just the gameplay style or art style. Never played it.

Tekken is a 3D fighter so people are averse to trying it.

Persona doesn't really mesh with the fighting game crowd as a series in general, I think.

IDK if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but IMO Bloodborne is better than the Souls games.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Skullgirls isn't popular because it's basically gimped Marvel 2, despite being the best team fighting game that's relevant at all (unless you count KoF as a team fighting game, which in the vein of the Vs series it isn't technically).

KoF IDK why it isn't popular. Probably just the gameplay style or art style. Never played it.

Persona doesn't really mesh with the fighting game crowd as a series in general, I think.

IDK if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but IMO Bloodborne is better than the Souls games.
I never got my hands on bloodborne, but I liked watching streams of it. All souls games, and bloodborne always gave me that "wtf" feeling when I tried to understand the story so I gave up on that lol. But the gameplay, weapons, and objectives in the game were really cool looking. I think I watched the end but idk if that's true. it was a while back if I did.

finalark

SNORLAX
Unfortunately, in NA people are just averse to 3D fighters period. I have no idea why either.

All souls games, and bloodborne always gave me that "wtf" feeling when I tried to understand the story so I gave up on that lol.
Yeah, those aren't really games where you're supposed to understand the story. Whenever I'm playing and somebody asks why something is going on I reply with "because it's a video game."

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I myself am 2D over 3D, but a lot of that is because I'm not good at 3D games. Platformers especially.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, in NA people are just averse to 3D fighters period. I have no idea why either.

Yeah, those aren't really games where you're supposed to understand the story. Whenever I'm playing and somebody asks why something is going on I reply with "because it's a video game."
Lol, I feel it man. The games are just too nutty and hard to play as is. its one of those titles I actually have to look into to understand why im doing what Im doing lol. I often wander around wondering where im even supposed to go. Then, boom, deathtrap, or boss, or some scumbag monster stabs me from a corner I cant see lol.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
2D Mario imo, is easier to deal with because the main goals of each game is to clear a level by traversing obstacles, while in 3D games, you have multiple missions, you can have RPG elements, keys to puzzles etc. Sometimes people want that quick simple satisfaction of defeating linear maps with puzzles that require more timing and muscle memory than thought.

finalark

SNORLAX
You also have to take into account that 2D games are much easier to understand to the layman.

In a 2D game, how everything works is pretty obvious from the get go. Left moves you left, right moves you right, up usually lets you look up or jump, down lets you duck, ect.

But in 3D things are different. Suddenly it's not left, right, up and down. It's forward and back, sometimes turn, some times strafe. Then you have a camera controls to learn on top of that and usually a lot more buttons to deal with.

That's not even getting into how hard navigating a 3D space can be if you've never really played video games before. Have you ever seen someone new try to figure out how to move an adjust a camera at the same time in 3D? Or how about figuring out how to navigate with two sticks in a shooter? 3D is hard if you're not used to it. Even then at the ripe old age of 22 I still find myself occasionally misjudging distances in platformers.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I prefer 2D moreso than 3D.

Platformers, fighting games and even sort of RPGs.

3D works best in Action games, Sports games, Racing Games and shooters

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
About the Fire Emblem debate...
I already said this before in a couple of threads but I'll say it again: I went into Awakening with no hope of it being any good after having played Shadow Dragon on the DS and having found it really boring.

I also had to pay a really salty price for the game considering I got it used. I bought it for about 37 dollars, and the brand new game... costs about 60 dollars, here. It's also really rare around here, I had to search a lot for it. So basically, this was setting up to be a disaster, then I played the game and I loved it. I was really pleasantly surprised, it wasn't boring like SD was, I'm really enjoying the story in it, I'm loving all the colourful characters, Lucina drives me bonkers... I think it's different strokes for different folks.

This game reminds me a lot of my time playing Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory on my PS3 almost 2 years ago (Damn, to think 2014 really was 2 years ago...), but unlike Neptunia, I doubt I'll look back at this game and think it was but dozens of hours wasted. I'm having fun with the game and it feels like the fun I'm having is genuine.

Maybe you should try to give it another chance, Treedot Treedot . The combat is something you get used to very quick, if that's your problem. I'm certainly enjoying Awakening far far more than I enjoyed Pokemon Y.
Then again, after Pokemon Y, I won't be touching anything Pokemon related with a 10 metre stick until the next generation, if that.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
About the Fire Emblem debate...
I already said this before in a couple of threads but I'll say it again: I went into Awakening with no hope of it being any good after having played Shadow Dragon on the DS and having found it really boring.
To be fair, Shadow Dragon is considered to be one of the worst FE games by the fans. They thought Fire Emblem 3 on the SNES remade the first game far more better than Shadow Dragon and I share that opinion as well. Shadow Dragon is really boring. Its a good thing IS was able to remake New Mystery to be much better than its prequel but, alas, it is Japan exclusive.
Then again, after Pokemon Y, I won't be touching anything Pokemon related with a 10 metre stick until the next generation, if that.
I can see your point, I am massively disappointed by the entirety of Generation 6 so far. Sure, the competitive scene is good and all but the main and post game felt so.. lacking.. Doesn't help that ORAS isn't that great of a remake compared to FR/LG and HG/SS. The only good thing that came out from Gen 6 imo is Super Mystery Dungeon. That game is pretty fun.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
You disliked it that strongly, huh?
Well, not that I disliked it... it just wasn't that great a Pokemon game. Pretty much all of the improvements were for competitive purposes, and while you can influence stuff like IVs and natures, you can't deny that's still nothing but luck that takes dozens of hours to perfect. Pokemon Amie was nice, it was cute, but it got ridiculous when you could pet even stuff like Giratina, Arceus and whatever massively tall monstrosity you can think of. I didn't find that cute or funny, I just thought it broke immersion. The story was... not there, pretty much, and it's honestly embarassing to think this game barely has more postgame than the Gen 1 games, and atleast the Gen 1 games have their excuses, this AAA game from a big name studio doesn't!
I can see your point, I am massively disappointed by the entirety of Generation 6 so far. Sure, the competitive scene is good and all but the main and post game felt so.. lacking.. Doesn't help that ORAS isn't that great of a remake compared to FR/LG and HG/SS. The only good thing that came out from Gen 6 imo is Super Mystery Dungeon. That game is pretty fun.
I honestly didn't like Gen 3 that much, which is why I didn't bother getting ORAS. I didn't want to pay the ludicrous asking price they charge here to play a game I didn't enjoy too much in the engine of another game I didn't enjoy too much.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I really don't know if this is unpopular or not since it's something I've never seen addressed, put Pokemon games are too damn easy. I know that they're made for kids and everything, but it would be nice to see a game that actually used the game's mechanics to their maximum potential.

In pretty much every game since RB you could rip through the game with just your starter provided you can hit enemy weakness. Or if you can just hit them with any neutral attack. The least they could do is try to punish you for only leveling your starter, or give gym leaders smart, well-balanced teams with actual coordination that can't be burned through with a single super-effective move. Instead of the three to four EXP pinatas they usually have.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I really don't know if this is unpopular or not since it's something I've never seen addressed, put Pokemon games are too damn easy. I know that they're made for kids and everything, but it would be nice to see a game that actually used the game's mechanics to their maximum potential.

In pretty much every game since RB you could rip through the game with just your starter provided you can hit enemy weakness. Or if you can just hit them with any neutral attack. The least they could do is try to punish you for only leveling your starter, or give gym leaders smart, well-balanced teams with actual coordination that can't be burned through with a single super-effective move. Instead of the three to four EXP pinatas they usually have.
That is exactly why I don't play Pokemon anymore. The main storyline is too damn easy, it's not even fun. X and Y were the biggest offenders. I actually managed to beat the Water guy from the Elite 4 with my Delphox because she was Level 90, that's insane! The Exp. Share breaks the game very badly.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
While I can't say X/Y is certainly ditch the franchise bad, it was underwhelming to say the least.
Kinda like you take everything from the other games and water it down to a bland bread. The characters especially were hit with this, as most are either one note if they even were given one.

Aife

Smash Apprentice

No trust me, its a common issue in pokemon circles too. There's a very good reason why theres entire subgroups and hacks constantly dedicated to making the games harder. If you're interested in trying a harder pokemon, try playing some of draydens hacks. They're a lot of fun and while I don't honestly remember the true difficulty of them, I know that they're harder and more varied then the main series. (I mean he actually tried to make the gym leaders smart.)

It gets really frustrating when you know GameFreak could do so much better. I mean, they obviously know something about competitive battling if the towers/chateaus are anything to go by. HELL, THE POKEMON WORLD TOURNAMENT WAS AMAZING.
Maybe that type of difficulty was a bit too much due to ev's basically being required knowledge, but they really just need to remove that issue. The movesets and items being held were amazing, the main story should be something like that...

Eh, though surprisingly, the easiness of the franchise hasn't really dulled my enjoyment of it. Perhaps i like the pick up and play nature, and infact that might be what draws so many people to it in the first place. I just wish gamefreak would create a hard mode themselves, fan creation ones only go so far.

And XY just needs more content and a slightly more engaging main story. (outside of difficulty increases.) The region is beautiful and varied, ontop of having gigantic pokemon variety and a very immersive world. But post game exploration where????

EDIT: Since I'm on a roll here, I'll vent a bit more and state my own personal pokemon opinion.There are times where gamefreak attempts it, but the attempts are so late in the game it just doesn't matter.

N's post-game battle is a perfect example of this. (in gen 5 part 2) He has a god damn weather based team, one for each of the seasons! Weather basically controlled somewhere close to half the number of teams in gen 5's meta game, and was a very popular choice if only because they were so good. (swiftswim+drizzle on dream world Poli was banned as a combination for being too good) The AI apparently was ranked up, and the movesets were rather good too. But his battle is hidden enough that you could finish the entire game and 100% your pokemons levels before you fight him. (Its not that hard, but you do have to search for him based on knowledge of the previous game.) Effectively making what might be a super hard boss fight into something...Not even close to challenging. It doesn't help that his pokemon don't hold any items, well most of them anyway. Which is sad because it should be challenging.

world tournament avoids this issue by forcing your opponent to the same level as you (ontop of giving good items to their pokemon.)

If you haven't figured it out by all my gushing... I'll just say it outright: black 2 and white 2 are the best games in the entire main series. Fight me. (This is an opinion statement but I like to believe its true. :< Apparently thats not thought commonly of in pokemon circles though, idk I wasn't part of the community very much back then.)

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Am I the only one that liked X and Y, the shift to 3D is nice with all the added detail like battle animations and the general gameplay changes that made it more enjoyable to play through, I don't know about you but I always found the games that came before it to be kinda slow. The story was certainly lacking but I found it enjoyable to say the least, Team Flare was pretty cool.

Aife

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people give XY's story a lot of flack, and I do think to some extent it deserves it, but the post game Looker side quests were such a cute surprise that i have a hard time being harsh on it sometimes. Main story's blandness in general completely lowered my expectations, so I was not expecting something as cute as those side quests coming right after. Still not what I'd consider gen 5 territory, but that stuff came really close, specially with how meaningful it managed to be despite how small on scale it was.

Edit: Err, let me rephrase that

Gen 5+ORAS level. If there's one thing gf did right with that remake (above all the issues), it is completely revitalizing the story. I'm not even talking about the delta episode, but just what ORAS'S did to wally, your rival, the opposing team, steven...

Just everything good god. They really drastically improved the story, I'd argue it sits right behind black and White's story. With black and white 2 right after.

Last edited:

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Am I the only one that liked X and Y, the shift to 3D is nice with all the added detail like battle animations and the general gameplay changes that made it more enjoyable to play through, I don't know about you but I always found the games that came before it to be kinda slow. The story was certainly lacking but I found it enjoyable to say the least, Team Flare was pretty cool.
I'm pretty sure that the developers of this game mostly focus on the graphics and the new Gen 6 Pokemons than the story. I mean, both X/Y and ORAS graphics are a lot better than the BW/BW2 graphics. But, while I do agree that the story was lacking and yet enjoyable, there are some characters (Sycamore, Lysandre, most of the Gym Leaders aside of Korrina, and Diantha) in the story that are also lacking their developments. Overall, I like X/Y a lot more than ORAS.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
I actually thought the Sonic games (Adventure Battle 2, Heroes, RIders) were somewhat decent. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom