• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
q
I have some interesting unpopular opinions:

1-) I dislike Shadow of Colossus, heavily. The game just fails to keep me interested and the fact that the controls are terrible makes it even worse. It's just a really boring experience for me.

2-) I don't like Super Mario 64 that much, which is very strange because outside of it I enjoyed every mario 3d I played (I didn't play Sunshine yet)

3-) Undertale is ok but I don't see how people find it totally super amazing like that. The game has very good music and is pretty beaultiful to look at but it's too short and after getting all the endings which shouldn't take too much time there's nothing else to do here

4-) I love competitive brawl

5-) I really love Super Paper Mario, I wish it was possible to us to have a game like it but with the combat system of previous titles on it too somehow

6-) Mario Kart Wii is my favorite one and I don't like Mario Kart: Double Dash that much

7-) Crash Bandicoot games aren't hard, really. The problem is that there's a small amount of bull**** in certain areas that may cause unfair deaths sometimes.

8-) I really, really love Wii Party. I used to play this game a lot with friends and it was always a blast. But everyone in the internet seems to hate it unfortunately.

9-) I had tons of fun with TMNT: Smash Up. People also seem to hate it from what i've heard.
But you just have a crash bandicoot avitar?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
But you just have a crash bandicoot avitar?
I only said that the games aren't that hard, not that i dislike them.
I pointed out a negative about the games because liking a certain game doesn't mean i think it's flawless.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Not sure if this is THAT unpopular because I've seen a good handful of people agree with me, but it's definitely not the mainstream opinion.

I like Majora's Mask more than Ocarina. I understand that Ocarina was the first and therefore did more for gaming as a whole, and was revolutionary. But in my opinion, Majora, in addition to providing a new spin on Ocarina, did a lot of things better and was overall more fun.

Side quests were far more memorable. I loved the gloomy atmosphere (but that's just a preference thing). Mask transformations were fantastic. I can't think of much that Ocarina did better than Majora.

I really hope that the BoTW follow-up takes a lot of influence from Majora's Mask in the atmosphere and story. Best case scenario, they do to Termina what they did to Hyrule in BotW, and the game actually takes place in a giant, reimagined Termina.

Last edited:

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
BOTW is...not the best Zelda.
It's fun, but the brittle weapons, slow pace, and "dungeons" that are so short Nintendo couldn't even consider them dungeons and had to rename them "shrines" kinda pull me away from the hype that I once had for this game.

Also, I can't use my LEGO Wiimote. How do you make a Wii U Zelda without motion controls? They don't even have to be 1-1; I'd prefer Twilight Princess over Skyward Sword any day of the week. #TwilightPrincess4Eva

Spud125

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2360-0901-6241
I liked more the original FF7 than the remake xd...

I dont know why tho, mmm... It gives a nostalgic feel.

Last edited:

Spud125

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2360-0901-6241
New super mario bros U was trash...

Last edited:

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
-I wish F.L.U.D.D. was a recurring character and mechanic in Mario platformers.
-I like Pokemon saying their names over realistic animal sounds.
-I think that Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness are both better that any core Pokemon game. The double battle are fun and the snagging mechanic is an interesting twist. I also love Cipher more than any other evil team.
-Sacred Stones is my favorite Fire Emblem game. Fire Emblem Heroes shows me how much of a minority I'm in there.
-I think Shadows of Valentia dialed back supports and especially romance too much. I know the Fire Emblem fanbase has a disdain for shippers, but I'd like characters to have more than one romance option. Why introduce a love triangle between Clair, Gray, and Tobin if Clair has to pick Gray?
-I don't like Metroid because of the "isolated atmosphere." The only Metroid game I enjoyed was Metroid Prime 3 because Rundas and Gandrayda were great.
-I found Brawl to be almost as much of an improvement to Melee as Melee was to 64. Adventure Mode was much improved, Assist Trophies and Stickers were great additions, and Boss Battles really spiced up single player. My only problem was the engine being a little too slow.
-I found Shovel Knight to be a distinctly average game. It wasn't really good or bad in my eyes.
-Larxene is my favorite Organization XIII member.
-I liked Final Fantasy 9 more than Final Fantasy 6. It came down to the cast connecting with me more, really.
-I think that boost gameplay only works in 2d Sonic games like the Sonic Rush series. I also enjoyed playing the Werehog in Unleashed because I liked feeling in control of my movements.

McChicken

Smash Rookie
I like grinding. I love grinding stuff in Monster Hunter and I also really like the stupid grind in WoW. Many people say that grinding is wasted time, but it really isn't if it's done right. Idk and Idc who said it, but someone once said "time you enjoyed wasting, isn't wasted"

Wurst

Smash Rookie
I'm probably not alone but I genuinely enjoy sonic 06. It's got it's flaws and a lot of bugs, but it was fun, the levels were a good length, soundtrack fit the levels and was really good. voice acting was meh, story was like a 10 year old's fanfic, but other than that I was a pleasurable experience and if sega spent more time on it, it would've been one of the best.

Sprite

Smash Cadet
For smash bros, I actually don't mind clones, and guniunly like most of them

Beastloader

Smash Rookie
I dislike shielding in the SSB games. I feel there should be more emphasis on dodging, and shielding should be limited to the special moves of certain characters. I'd rather do a sidestep every time I press the shield button rather than put up a shield.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
I dislike shielding in the SSB games. I feel there should be more emphasis on dodging, and shielding should be limited to the special moves of certain characters. I'd rather do a sidestep every time I press the shield button rather than put up a shield.
That's an interesting opinion. By the way, what about your idea to be able to turn shielding off?

Last edited:

Beastloader

Smash Rookie
Having thought more about that idea, I think I would prefer to just have shielding modified rather than completely removed. Like I said in my last post, I think it would work well as a special move of certain characters and having the shield button replaced with a sidestep for other characters.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I think you need the ability to block in a fighter. The fundamental RPS gameplay of attack > grab > shield > attack falls apart without it. I can cite Sly Cooper in PlayStation All Stars - he can’t block and thus spends the entire match dodging and running away. It’s highly uninteractive.

finalark

SNORLAX
I liked more the original FF7 than the remake xd...

I dont know why tho, mmm... It gives a nostalgic feel.
Dude. The remake isn't even close to being out yet. It's like me declaring that I liked Star Wars Episode VII more than IX. There's no way of knowing that's true because the thing in question its being compared to is so far off.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Breath of the Wild Zelda was a terrible character. The cast was mostly composed of one dimensional anime stereotypes, although the DLC did help flesh them out. Other 3D LoZs all did a much better job with their characters.

FoxE

Smash Cadet
I really dislike most RPGs. I never found them fun or engaging. It always felt like a chore playing them, I'm trying to play older games that I thought I'd enjoyed but quickly get bored or uninterested like Pokemon Platinum.
I also LOVE playing claw style when playing any game, especially on console. It's so useful, especially when you need to A -Left - fowards - shoot, all at the same time. I tried playing Majora's mask. I got halfway, like around the water dungeon I think? It's been a year but from what I remember, it wasn't too much fun. There wold be the ocasional, "This music is nice." but fighting enemies got kinda boring and 3D didn't fit it. IDK I don't know if the game is for me, since I always feel a huge pressure playing nintendo games because they're the games you're supposed to find fun? My tastes have changed and a lot of games I used to enjoy aren't as fun or enticing anymore. I'm not sure how to put my thoughts into words about the games.

But good games that I don't like are still good games.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
1. I feel that Sunshine structures its missions better than any of the other 3D Mario games.
2. DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze removed too many of the good things about the original trilogy.
3. Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe, and Planet Robobot weren't amazing, and Star Allies doesn't look like anything special so far.
4. I don't find Puyo Puyo very fun, regardless of knowing the strategies.
5. Amiibos aren't a consumer-friendly DLC practice.
6. The moments of backtracking in TTYD had no effect my enjoyment of the game.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I don't like Monster Hunter, and I don't like Dark Souls. I also don't like Mortal Combat. Why?, you may ask. Because all three franchises use clunky controls and slow, janky characters. I feel soooo slow moving in those games, along with the slow pacing, it drives me insane. I also don't like Majora's Mask, mostly due to the time limit stressing me out. I don't like time limits in video games aside from Mario, where it feels just right. Assassin's Creed died for me after they left Ezio, and Fortnite is trash. Also PUBG is trash. I don't like games where winning is determined by RNG, as I have not been blessed by the RNG gods. I also stand by that Twilight Princess hasn't aged well at all. I have a lot of unpopular opinions, but these are the ones people are most likely going to find unpopular.

Edit: Tingle is a gud character. He just makes me laugh all the time because he's so absurd. Windwaker has the saddest Zelda ending.

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
I don't like Monster Hunter, and I don't like Dark Souls. I also don't like Mortal Combat. Why?, you may ask. Because all three franchises use clunky controls and slow, janky characters. I feel soooo slow moving in those games, along with the slow pacing, it drives me insane. I also don't like Majora's Mask, mostly due to the time limit stressing me out. I don't like time limits in video games aside from Mario, where it feels just right. Assassin's Creed died for me after they left Ezio, and Fortnite is trash. Also PUBG is trash. I don't like games where winning is determined by RNG, as I have not been blessed by the RNG gods. I also stand by that Twilight Princess hasn't aged well at all. I have a lot of unpopular opinions, but these are the ones people are most likely going to find unpopular.

Edit: Tingle is a gud character. He just makes me laugh all the time because he's so absurd. Windwaker has the saddest Zelda ending.
Ummm.... What game(s) DO you like?

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I actually like a lot of games. I like Final Fantasy 6 and 7. Chrono Trigger. The Pokémon Series. Most Zelda games. All of the Mario Games. Mario Kart. Overwatch (though my interest has been dwindling, due to my popular opinion that lootboxes suck). Titanfall 1 and 2. Most Mobas. Yoshi's Island. Fallout franchise except for 4. Far Cry 1-4 + Primal. I really like the Halo series. I also like Street Fighter and other fighting games, I just don't like Mortal Kombat.

Edit: I don't like Fortnite or PUBG. They are very luck-based and winning in them doesn't feel authentic.

Last edited:

iCrash

Smash Cadet
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword was actually an amazing Legend of Zelda game and is super underrated largely just because of the art style not being gritty like Twilight Princess, which people were expecting, but the change to a slightly more cartoony art style makes a ton of sense if you compare the themes and conflict of the two games.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I don't really care for sandbox games
Dang why?

Sega makes the best music of any game company, bar none.

I also don’t care for RPGs of any kind lol. Unless the PvP is straight flames.

I think competitive games right now are great, but if there was a competitive game that was reaaaaaally complex, akin to software intended for creators, I think that level depth could be unlike anything we’ve seen before, where the fighting really becomes an art. I’m preaching for more complex games lol.

Sega in general is a very artistic company in visuals and atmosphere. Some of them sonic games will grab your imagination if you let them.

There should be a game that’s about making art. Like, that being the point of the game.

Consoles/games should allow a script editor of some sort in there for thinkers to manipulate. And also share with friends.

More gamers should try to learn coding.

Smash 4 would last way longer if the special smash option was available online also. Also, the single player content as well.

Every gamer should try to create something lol.

As you can see, I’m an artist in the mind.

fusroyay20

Smash Rookie
I like Sonic Forces more than Sonic Generations or Unleashed. I think SNN has some people who think its okay.

Also, here are some reasons why people hate Forces:
  • The levels are too short!
Really, they are short, but some fans wanted that.
  • Classic Sonic sucks and shouldn't be there!
Just because it isn't Gens or Genesis 1 to 1 physics doesn't mean they're bad. Even though they can be somewhat frustrating.
  • Anyone who likes this game is an idiot and needs to experience Gens/SA2/Unleashed/S3K!
I've played all of those at least once. Also, I think you are an idiot for being unable to truly experience a good game.

Anyone agree?

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
MP2 Echoes is my favorite Metroid game.
Skyward Sword was my favorite Zelda game before BotW.
DK64 is better than SM64.
Sunshine was my favorite 3D Mario before SMO.
XCX is the best game on Wii U.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Bubsy is awesome
Mega Man is awful
DK64 and Wario Land 3 are both garbage games
McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure is one of the best games on the Mega Drive
American Mohawk Sonic is the best Sonic
Sonic Adventure 2 is an awful game, while Knuckles' Chaotix is one of the best Sonic games

Morbi

Scavenger
The Last of Us is the most overrated game in the history of the gaming. It is not fun, it does not do anything particularly well outside of the story, and the sequel probably going to top it because people are going to pretend to like it just as they did with Metal Gear Solid 5, merely because Kojima worked on it and it was his last game at Konami.

Breath of the Wild is the most flawed Zelda game. While I am at it, the Legend of Zelda theme is not particularly great. I believe people enjoy it just because it represents the series.

Donkey Kong 64 was the best 3D platformer.

Call of Duty is not the same game every year. If it was, the series would not be getting progressively worse.

I agree with the person who believes Colosseum and Gale of Darkness are better than any main series Pokemon games.

CursedKaiju

Smash Apprentice
After playing skullgirlsI think it is the worst fighting game I have ever played
My favorite trio of starters in pokemon is 2nd gen, but 4th gen is my overall favorite (and is my 2nd favorite trio of starters)
Besides Pokemon and Metroid, Im not crazy about most of the main Nintendo franchises

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have a love/hate relationship with Breath of the Wild. Exploring is awesome but you get accosted by red spandex cultists and stalfos every 3 minutes. It also rains frequently and there's no way to circumvent that issue; you can't even light a fire to pass the time. These problems aren't as bad during the main story but suck in the completionist grind: trying to find the shrines, koroks, talus and hinoxes post game. The story also sucks , I dislike half the cast and open world rpg elements are extremely primitive compared to other games of the genera like Skyrim and Horizon ZD. It bugs me because the game has so much going for it in other areas. The 2 previous console LoZs, SS and TP, had great characters and passable stories. Leave it to Nintendo to reinvent the wheel every time, struggle with deadlines and throw out past innovations.

finalark

SNORLAX
The Switch is a fantastic console.

Unless you owned and regularly played a Wii U. In which case most of the Switch's "big releases" are all games you played five years ago but with the price tag of a brand new game.

Ty Gillis

Smash Rookie
- Mother 3 is better than 2 in every way

- Skullgirls is the best 2D fighting game ever made

- Sunshine has the best controls in the entire 3d mario series

Top Bottom