• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
GameCube was definetely the best console

And Super Mario World was the best freakin' mario game ever made
I think the N64 library is more impressive. Gamecube had great platforms, just not as many. N64 was simply revolutionary.

But those controllers. My goodness.

:144:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I know this is a thread for unpopular opinions, but "Nintendo 64 was the best console" and "simply revolutionary" might need some backing up.
If anything the unwillingness to switch from cartridges makes it look more regressive compared to the other offerings at the time.

Crooked Crow

I know this is a thread for unpopular opinions, but "Nintendo 64 was the best console" and "simply revolutionary" might need some backing up.
If anything the unwillingness to switch from cartridges makes it look more regressive compared to the other offerings at the time.
You should just trust me. I'm a doctor.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Oh I apologise Mr. Sir Doctor.

Okay let me pull an unpopular opinion from my box of unpopular opinions...
I've said this before I think, but I really do think Super Mario 3D World is an extremely uninspired game and probably the most boring experience I've had with a game my whole life.
I was surprised to find recently, however, that I'm actually not alone in this opinion. It seems that 3D World is being seen with far less optimistic eyes nowadays. Retroactive reviews have been far more lukewarm than the sea of 10/10s it got during launch.
So my unpopular opinion is that I do believe that 3D World has the potential to become Nintendo's own "Sonic Adventure" if you know what I mean. The game that was very well received and loved near launched but nowadays is seen with more bad eyes than good ones. Sonic Adventure is another topic entirely that has been discussed to death in this topic alone.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Oh I apologise Mr. Sir Doctor.

Okay let me pull an unpopular opinion from my box of unpopular opinions...
I've said this before I think, but I really do think Super Mario 3D World is an extremely uninspired game and probably the most boring experience I've had with a game my whole life.
I was surprised to find recently, however, that I'm actually not alone in this opinion. It seems that 3D World is being seen with far less optimistic eyes nowadays. Retroactive reviews have been far more lukewarm than the sea of 10/10s it got during launch.
So my unpopular opinion is that I do believe that 3D World has the potential to become Nintendo's own "Sonic Adventure" if you know what I mean. The game that was very well received and loved near launched but nowadays is seen with more bad eyes than good ones. Sonic Adventure is another topic entirely that has been discussed to death in this topic alone.
Sonic Adventure 2 was a great game. Loved it. :139: :487:

D

Deleted member

IMO Adventure 2 was only okay.
I love Adventure 1 partially because it's a guilty pleasure but I enjoy 2/3 of the game, while with Adventure 2 I only enjoy 1/3 of the game, and the game has better polish but it still looks pretty bad, but not in a laughable way like Adventure 1.

Crooked Crow

Super Mario Galaxy would have been a lot more enjoyable if I was able to use a Gamecube controller. I really disliked Wii Mote for anything. So, the game is rather sour in my eyes.

Great music though.

Mario Party 8 was the worst game I've ever played. Mario Kart 64 is better than your scrubby versions.

Wario World for Gamecube is a top 10 game produced by Nintendo. It's absolutely fantastic and very under rated.

Did anybody actually enjoy having to farm obnoxiously hidden blue coins in Sunshine to full clear? Neither did I. Great game otherwise.

Star Fox is ... simply not my cup of tea. Does anybody even play this franchise anymore? Unironically?

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, X and Y.
They were my first Pokemon games, and were the best... Until I played the older games, and then replayed XY.
I still think it's better than Gen 1 and is equal or even better than Gen 2, but compared to the Generations that predated it, Gen 6 was a massive downgrade. It's like you take everything that was good about Gen 5 - memorable characters, fantastic story, LOTS of original and unique Pokemon and less focus on older 'Mons - and just throw it away (There are literally THREE Kalos mons I really, really like, and those are Greninja (Second favorite Pokemon overall), Aegislash and Tyrantrum.). Not to mention, the story felt incomplete and the postgame was awful.
X and Y were solid games, but they're easily the weakest of the modern Pokemon games. ORAS were very good games, but felt lacking for whatever reason.
Gen 6 especially pales in comparison to Gen 7, which literally became my new favorite generation. Won't go into detail right now.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
- The original Super Mario Bros., while indeed a memorable classic, holds up by today's standards about as much as a block of prehistoric cheese... control-wise, I mean. I'd argue that most of the challenge this game has to offer is legitimately unfair due to the stiffness of the controls. Maybe I am being a little too hard on it, since it definitely is satisfying to finally beat, and obviously since it spawned so many more wonderful things for decades to come, but at the same time, I really don't believe a platformer should have anything less than smooth, optimal, fluid controls. The challenge should solely come from level design, enemies, and to an extent, puzzles.

- I absolutely adore Earthworm Jim 3D for the Nintendo 64.

- Fire Emblem: Awakening gets too much hate... Take anything I say about FE with a grain of salt though, because even though I love this series and think it's pretty awesome, I suck hardcore balls at FE and I've still yet to beat any of them, even Awakening.

- Xenoblade series is incredibly overhyped. I mean it's an okay game with beautiful scenery and some kickass music here and there, but the gameplay became a huge cluster**** over time, and I've experienced much more compelling storytelling in gaming, if I'm being honest. It's definitely not a bad story, but no way is it an incredibly phenomenal 10/10 or whatever

- SMT IV: Apocalypse > SMT IV > Nocturne

- I find Pokemon to be an incredibly dull series, save for the fact that I find competitive online battles really awesome... I mean, I wish I could get into that, but I think I'd still be wasting my time to just finally start getting into now, tbh. I'll take a more kickass, fun, story-driven RPG like SMT/Persona any day.

- These people chasing me with pitchforks and torches are still better at running than an Xbox 360

D

Deleted member

Star Fox is ... simply not my cup of tea. Does anybody even play this franchise anymore? Unironically?
Meant to reply to that before, but I actually got my first Star Fox game a few days ago, and I unironically enjoy it.
It's probably a one-off series for me though.

D

Deleted member

I am not that much of an avid gamer, so I'll only leave a few opinions about the series I enjoy playing:
  • Of all the types of mini-games I've played in Mario Party series, the luck-based mini-games are the best ones.
  • Tekken Ball is one of the best side modes they ever added to Tekken series, which leads me to say Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition leave the other games in the dust.
  • The addition of :4bayonetta2: in Smash 4 was a capital idea! I, a 56-year-old female Smasher, have fallen in love with her since this past summer. This leads me to say Smash 4 and even Brawl far outclasses Melee. Now, don't get me wrong; Melee is great but too fast-paced and technical-skill-intensive for me.

Sayonara :kirby:

Last edited by a moderator:

finalark

SNORLAX
  • I have no interest in LoZ: Breath of the Wild. Being open world and lacking in story is a bad combination IMO.
I disagree. Sandbox games are about setting your own goals. Having a large story focus is just a gigantic roadblock to that.

• Earthbound was somewhat of a disappointment to me when I played it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as amazing as people made it out to be.
Earthbound, taken purely as a game, is a pretty average RPG. Really, the fun of it is its charm and seeing all the crazy weird **** it can throw at you. That being said, I agree.

D

Deleted member

I disagree. Sandbox games are about setting your own goals. Having a large story focus is just a gigantic roadblock to that.
I just don't like them personally. I'm not saying they're objectively bad.

Earthbound, taken purely as a game, is a pretty average RPG. Really, the fun of it is its charm and seeing all the crazy weird **** it can throw at you. That being said, I agree.
Yeah, I can agree. My main disappointment comes from the final boss - probably because I spoiled myself way before I played the actual game.
The ending didn't leave much of an impact on me either.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Samus should have been left as the worst character in Smash 4, with no buffs and if possible some nerfs. I hate her to death.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Take advantage of this and become a Samus main! :)
Sorry, but Robin >>>>>> Spamus when it comes to cool projectile game. And it works regardless of lag due to essentially having 2 PK Fires with better angles that beat spotdodges and trap shields, a faster, frame-trapping Charge Shot in Thoron, and the extra of having impossible to see, lightning fast kill projectiles in his discarded tomes.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but Robin >>>>>> Spamus when it comes to cool projectile game. And it works regardless of lag due to essentially having 2 PK Fires with better angles that beat spotdodges and trap shields, a faster, frame-trapping Charge Shot in Thoron, and the extra of having impossible to see, lightning fast kill projectiles in his discarded tomes.
Can't you beat Samus with Robin then???

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Can't you beat Samus with Robin then???
I wish. Sadly, the framerate does not drop when I send my own projectiles. It's a one-way-cheat; so I can't always get the jump on her, neither with Robin nor with Greninja. My most consistent Spamus counter is G&W.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
  • The Wii U era was Mario’s dark age.
  • Mega Man 1 was a bad game.
  • I hate how Namco Bandai constantly gets a free pass just because they put out Tales, liscensed anime games and slap their name on Dark Souls.
  • If a game simply isn’t fun? It’s bad. (I’d rather play Sonic 06 over PM: Sticker Star)
  • Nostalgia pandering is utter cancer to gaming franchises. Especially when done so much and so many times in a row in succession. (Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man have all been guilty of this at some point or another.)
  • Super Mario Sunshine is better than Mario 64.
  • The only 2D main Mario’s worth playing ((Excluding the Yoshi’s Island games And other spinoffs)) anymore are SMB3, SMB2, SMW, NSMB1, NSMBWii, SML1 And SML2.
  • Pac-Man has a worse reputation this day and age than Sonic the Hedgehog, sadly.
  • I’m sick of generic “JRPG” character designs like FE, SAO, Tales of Whatever and most FF characters. I’d tolerate them more if other companies weren’t oversaturizing this style to begin with. Most characters I see that are all the rage are these types and they don’t hold the same appeal characters like Mario or Pac-Man did to me.
  • Tier lists ruin games and I hate competitive sides of gaming.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mega Man X2 > Mega Man X IMO.
I love both games but X2 had a better soundtrack and was overall more memorable to me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
  • I hate how Namco Bandai constantly gets a free pass just because they put out Tales, liscensed anime games and slap their name on Dark Souls.
  • If a game simply isn’t fun? It’s bad. (I’d rather play Sonic 06 over PM: Sticker Star)
  • Nostalgia pandering is utter cancer to gaming franchises. Especially when done so much and so many times in a row in succession. (Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man have all been guilty of this at some point or another.)
  • The only 2D main Mario’s worth playing ((Excluding the Yoshi’s Island games And other spinoffs)) anymore are SMB3, SMB2, SMW, NSMB1, NSMBWii, SML1 And SML2.
  • Pac-Man has a worse reputation this day and age than Sonic the Hedgehog, sadly.
  • I’m sick of generic “JRPG” character designs like FE, SAO, Tales of Whatever and most FF characters. I’d tolerate them more if other companies weren’t oversaturizing this style to begin with. Most characters I see that are all the rage are these types and they don’t hold the same appeal characters like Mario or Pac-Man did to me.
I truly don't understand your third point. A free pass from...what?

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I truly don't understand your third point. A free pass from...what?
When Nintendo makes similar decisions and business practices along with ignoring longtime fans, they get roasted and don't get me wrong: they deserve it.

Namco Bandai does the same ****? They get away with it. Free pass. :/

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
When Nintendo makes similar decisions and business practices along with ignoring longtime fans, they get roasted and don't get me wrong: they deserve it.

I truly still don't see the connection. What is Bandai Namco doing that's so contentious? What is the "****" that they're doing, and what business practices do you not like?

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
It seems pretty unfitting you came to a place about competitive Smash Bros if you hate competitive gaming, to me? Nothing against it, it's just odd.
I don't know what's so super generic about the designs in FE and FF, though. And Pacman's designed was literally a Pizza.

A lot of people feel like Nintendo is getting too much of a free pass for being repetitive if anything. It's matter of perspective.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Actually I have a few...
-Mario Galaxy 1 is far better than Galaxy 2. Way more creative and uses a lot better its power ups.

-Xenoblade X gets way too much hate. I loved that game while I dropped the original several times (still can't stand characters like Reyn or Sharla).

-Fire Emblem Awekening is a great Fire Emblem that gets hated by the "core fanbase" because it actually made the sries mainstream and accessable.

-Metal Gear Solid 4 is probably my favourite in the series.

-Metroid Prime is overrated. The first one is actually good (but far from Super), but Echoes is quite meh.

-Super Mario Bros 2 USA is actually a really good game.

-New Super Mario Bros U is a great 2D platform, but it got ruibed by being launched five mounths after that disgrace named New Super Mario Bros 2.

-Nintendo Land is one of the best Wii U games, and also one of the most fun party games on a Nintendo Console.

-Some people complaint that Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are an "HM Feast". These people ever played the Hoenn games, where you had to constatly have Surf with you?

-I find Pokemon White/Black/W2/B2 to be extremely overrated. I found the story incredibly dumb, the region uninteresting with some of the worst pokemons in the series (there are WAY too much who evolve at level 50+)

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I don't know what's so super generic about the designs in FE and FF, though. And Pacman's designed was literally a Pizza.
You clearly are forgetting about the Japanese cabinets of the original game. The problem I have with the specific character designs of JRPGs is none of them are really distinct and they all look like they could be part of the same game for all I care.

I truly still don't see the connection. What is Bandai Namco doing that's so contentious? What is the "****" that they're doing, and what business practices do you not like?
Bad marketing, Sitting on IPs, Oversaturating certain IPs until they are ran into the ground.

Just because I was a huge Mario fan back when I was a blind fanboy didn't mean I DIDN'T think he was being a wee bit overused... Because he was.

I especially felt sorry for fans of IPs like Metroid, F-Zero, Wario Land and whatnot. Of course, Metroid is getting a comeback NOW but still. And much like Nintendo (pre-Switch) they didn't seem to understand what fans of their own mascot wanted and kept playing the safe route and banking off of nostalgia for his hayday.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It seems pretty unfitting you came to a place about competitive Smash Bros if you hate competitive gaming, to me? Nothing against it, it's just odd.
This website is for Smash in general, not just competitive.

-Some people complaint that Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are an "HM Feast". These people ever played the Hoenn games, where you had to constatly have Surf with you?
They probably have.
But of course, these games get a free pass because of nostalgia. I like them, don't get me wrong, but I agree with your point.
Also... Can we talk about how IGN complained about too much water in ORAS, yet they gave the original RSE (Which had the exact same amount of water) a higher score?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crooked Crow

Sunshine better than 64? You're crazy. That's like saying Romans were better than Greeks. There'd be no former without the latter. Super Mario 64 was groundbreaking.

Sure, you may dislike tier lists, and think they're inherently negative; but they do exist. Always. If fighting game characters have differing properties and tools, then they aren't equal in a vacuum. Which means somebody is the best, either way.

I personally love them. Combined with match-up spreads, it gives you a greater comprehension and appreciation for the game.

:093:

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Sunshine better than 64? You're crazy. That's like saying Romans were better than Greeks. There'd be no former without the later. Super Mario 64 was groundbreaking.

Sure, you may dislike tier lists, and think they're inherently negative; but they do exist. Always. If fighting game characters have differing properties and tools, then they aren't equal in a vacuum. Which means somebody is the best, either way.

I personally love them. Combined with match-up spreads, it gives you a greater comprehension and appreciation for the game.

:093:
I'm sorry. I find Sunshine more fun to me and easier to pick up and play. 64? I constantly fight with the camera and a few physics and mechanics haven't aged well to me compared to how they feel in later games. ((The Wall Jump especially feels too precise in 64 and tricky to pull off.))

I don't care if it "invented 3D platforming". (which it didn't) Later games polished up it's issues, even the DS remake I have more fun with despite having to use the D-Pad.

Also I hate tier lists because if one character is better than every other in every single way? That means they are broken IMO. Everyone is going to use it instead just because they will pretty much always guarantee an automatic win thanks to their exploits.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Also... Can we talk about how IGN complained about too much water in ORAS, yet they gave the original RSE (Which had the exact same amount of water) a higher score?
Different reviewers and the "Too much water" point is explained in the actual review.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Actually I have a few...
-Mario Galaxy 1 is far better than Galaxy 2. Way more creative and uses a lot better its power ups.

-Xenoblade X gets way too much hate. I loved that game while I dropped the original several times (still can't stand characters like Reyn or Sharla).

-Fire Emblem Awekening is a great Fire Emblem that gets hated by the "core fanbase" because it actually made the sries mainstream and accessable.

-Metal Gear Solid 4 is probably my favourite in the series.

-Metroid Prime is overrated. The first one is actually good (but far from Super), but Echoes is quite meh.

-Super Mario Bros 2 USA is actually a really good game.

-New Super Mario Bros U is a great 2D platform, but it got ruibed by being launched five mounths after that disgrace named New Super Mario Bros 2.

-Nintendo Land is one of the best Wii U games, and also one of the most fun party games on a Nintendo Console.

-I find Pokemon White/Black/W2/B2 to be extremely overrated. I found the story incredibly dumb, the region uninteresting with some of the worst pokemons in the series (there are WAY too much who evolve at level 50+)
I just wanted to touch on the Awakening thing. I'll preface by saying I love the game to death and it has some of my favorite Fire Emblem characters ever (like Chrom and Virion). That being said I don't think it's fair to say the detractors only amount to "get out normies reeeeeee" or something like that. The game did feature some divisive things, like controversial map design, limited chapter objectives (literally all Route the Enemy with a few Defeat the Commander intermixed), and certain skills (and Pair Up) being broken, which were definitely points of contention for some.

You clearly are forgetting about the Japanese cabinets of the original game. The problem I have with the specific character designs of JRPGs is none of them are really distinct and they all look like they could be part of the same game for all I care.

Bad marketing, Sitting on IPs, Oversaturating certain IPs until they are ran into the ground.

Just because I was a huge Mario fan back when I was a blind fanboy didn't mean I DIDN'T think he was being a wee bit overused... Because he was.

I especially felt sorry for fans of IPs like Metroid, F-Zero, Wario Land and whatnot. Of course, Metroid is getting a comeback NOW but still. And much like Nintendo (pre-Switch) they didn't seem to understand what fans of their own mascot wanted and kept playing the safe route and banking off of nostalgia for his hayday.
The only big mistake that BN's made recently, in my memory, is the Ghostly Adventure stuff, but they've since backpedalled significantly on that. And can you really fault them for shelving IP that don't sell well enough to warrant continuation? They aren't even saturating their bigger series like Tekken or Tales. They're far from being yearly series.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I just wanted to touch on the Awakening thing. I'll preface by saying I love the game to death and it has some of my favorite Fire Emblem characters ever (like Chrom and Virion). That being said I don't think it's fair to say the detractors only amount to "get out normies reeeeeee" or something like that. The game did feature some divisive things, like controversial map design, limited chapter objectives (literally all Route the Enemy with a few Defeat the Commander intermixed), and certain skills (and Pair Up) being broken, which were definitely points of contention for some.

The only big mistake that BN's made recently, in my memory, is the Ghostly Adventure stuff, but they've since backpedalled significantly on that. And can you really fault them for shelving IP that don't sell well enough to warrant continuation? They aren't even saturating their bigger series like Tekken or Tales. They're far from being yearly series.
Ghostly Adventures was a bad move, definently. But now they are being dumb like Nintendo assuming they don't want actual Pac-Man Adventure titles when they honestly DO. But it needs to not be a dumb die-in to a bad reboot aimed to be "hip with the kiddies".

Also Tales has been getting games almost yearly now. It annoys me and I'm getting sick of it.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Yeah, I agree that it isn't a perfect game (nor even the best FE out there), and those are legit complains, but it gets a lot of hate because it was accessible for new players. That is simply wrong.

Top Bottom