• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

finalark

SNORLAX
But she has big **** and wears a thong so it's totally excusable.
If the massive fanbases for characters like Sephiroth, Vamp and even Tharja have taught me anything its that you can have a character literally choke a baby to death. If they're attractive enough they'll get a free pass.

Rizen

Smash Legend
If the massive fanbases for characters like Sephiroth, Vamp and even Tharja have taught me anything its that you can have a character literally choke a baby to death. If they're attractive enough they'll get a free pass.
It's not just video games. People are stupid.
https://thinkprogress.org/why-peopl...cause-he-has-a-handsome-mug-shot-beeeb3f6570f
Why do people like Tharja?

I get that she's hot, but I think people are grossly ignoring her negative traits. Negative traits such as...
- Child Abuse
- Spousal abuse
- Stalking
- anti-social tendencies.

But the one problem I have more than anything else is that there's no pathos to her actions. I beg the question. Why is she obsessed with Robin again?

This is the biggest reason why I can't get behind Tharja but I can get behind someone like Camilla as there is a reason for her actions.
*Looks up, eww. She's not even hot.

...When did this thread turn into the FE series social?

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Only the last few posts have been about Fire Emblem, because I brought up the subject.

Tharja is good looking in my opinion. She doesn't really offer anything beyond that, though.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Tharjas would somewhere be like a 6 or 7/10. Face does pretty well but her clothes aint going through. But she's suppose to have that since she's a dark mage by design I guess.

And boy the dark mages in Awakening and Fates look stupid.

Edit: Also Morgana sucks

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Wow, how fitting that we were just talking about Tharja...
Ridiculously minor unimportant spoilers from the first hour of FE Echoes: Shadows of Valentia ahead, but spoilers anyway:

Just why.
Why did we have to get another Tharja and why did it have to be her.
This isn't even funny.
Every FE game needs a new Tharja now.

finalark

SNORLAX
Ridiculously minor unimportant spoilers from the first hour of FE Echoes: Shadows of Valentia ahead, but spoilers anyway:

Just why.
This isn't even funny.
Lemme tell you, I liked this character when I first started playing the game because of her cute design and the fact that the random number goddess decided that she should should crit on almost every single attack. But then

THIS IS FOR ALM
ARE YOU WATCHING ALM
I NEED YOU ALM

Like, I get why this archetype is appealing to some people. But man, you can have a character with unwavering devotion to a person or cause without making it their only personality trait.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Just why.
This isn't even funny.
On the positive side at least she doesn't put a hex on Alm from as far as I'm aware (inb4 FE Switch has Not!Faye like Fates had Not!Tharja)
She's still **** though as her support with Silque shows.
"There's no point in talking about Alm when Alm isn't here!"

Easily the worst character in the game.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Man... just...
why.
I was really liking her, She was pretty adorable, she got decent growths with me, I critted a ton with her (there's gotta be something wrong with Echoes' crit RNG, because I get like 10+ crits per fight), but her character...
She's a terrible person. The only difference between her and Tharja is the way they're terrible.

Okay, we might actually be making this some second FE social thread now. Even though we still technically are talking about unpopular opinions.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I was never really into the FE series despite my main in Smash 4 and my profile image, but the series has almost completely lost any appeal to me after seeing that there is ALREADY another FE game that is either already out or is coming out (I honestly don't remember or care) after Fates came out just last year, which I think I also heard Fates was a disappointment. This along with the FE mobile game makes it look like this series is going to continue to get milked the **** out of for the next few years.

Okay, we might actually be making this some second FE social thread now. Even though we still technically are talking about unpopular opinions.
Yeah I'm pretty tired of talking about FE now, mostly because I don't play it at all.

I feel like the first person shooter genre gets a lot of hate, but for a while we have been getting a ton of great first person shooter games like Titanfall 2, Overwatch, Bioshock: Infinite, DOOM, and Rainbow Six: Seige. I just started playing Titanfall 2 a few days ago, and it definitely is one of the best multiplayer shooters I've ever played. Just imagine the more recent Call of Duty games if they were better and more fast paced in every single way and had giant robots you can control and fight.

Speaking of first person shooter games......as much as I am hoping for a Borderlands 3 to be announced and come out sometime soon, I am pretty scared that they are going to **** things up again and make a game not even close to being as good as BL:2 was. There is hope that there won't be horrible writing because the lead writer for BL:2 and BL:TPS is thankfully no longer working at Gearbox, but the person who originally created the series unfortunately isn't working there anymore either. It is going to be one of those games where as much as I want to get my hopes up, I know I probably shouldn't. Whenever another Borderlands game releases I think I am going to want to wait a few months to see whether or not the game ends up saving the series from the disaster that was TPS, or being a huge disappointment.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Titanfall 2 and DOOM have had some of the best single players in a shooter title for a while. I'd honestly rate those two plus Overwatch as the best AAA games to release last year just because of how fun they are, something several games fail to grasp these days.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Titanfall 2 and DOOM have had some of the best single players in a shooter title for a while. I'd honestly rate those two plus Overwatch as the best AAA games to release last year just because of how fun they are, something several games fail to grasp these days.

I've mostly been playing the multiplayer in Titanfall 2. It is frustrating as hell at times, but when you are doing well it feels so good. Not only is the game fun, but it also has a fairly high skill ceiling that makes the game even more fun to play or watch the better players get.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I was never really into the FE series despite my main in Smash 4 and my profile image, but the series has almost completely lost any appeal to me after seeing that there is ALREADY another FE game that is either already out or is coming out (I honestly don't remember or care) after Fates came out just last year, which I think I also heard Fates was a disappointment. This along with the FE mobile game makes it look like this series is going to continue to get milked the **** out of for the next few years.
Nintendo milks all of their franchises no exception, though. Now that FE is succesfull you bet they're gonna milk it.
Even with the slight saturation, Heroes (the mobile game) has been reasonably well recepted, and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (the one that was released about a week ago), while it hasn't really done all that well compared to Fates and Awakening in reception, is still a really solid game that will likely be far more fondly remembered that Fates will ever be.
I don't see how it having more enries makes it lose appeal to you, though.

Anyway
Call of Duty was never a bad game or series before that "thing" CoD: Ghosts happened. Advanced Warfare was okay, Black Ops 3 was alright; But Ghosts, Infinite Warfare and the way MW: Remastered was handled makes me honestly wish CoD finally became Treyarch only and that IW was kicked out of the dev cycle.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I don't see how it having more enries makes it lose appeal to you, though.
Having more entries isn't what makes it seem less appealing. What makes it less appealing to me is how soon this game came out after Fates and the mobile game obviously shows that the series is going to be milked, which in many cases results in lower quality.

Even Pokemon seems to be taking a bit of a break ever since ORAS with at least a 2 year gap in between ORAS and Sun & Moon. I never even felt like Pokemon games were just getting worse and worse with each new game anyways, because with Pokemon they were able to avoid this for a long time because they still kept all of the previous Pokemon and it was really more like they were releasing a new game every 2-3 years, because there usually was a third version releasing the next year.

Nintendo even sort of stopped milking Mario (Non-platformers and Mario Maker don't really count imo) for a while too. Maybe FE games won't end up getting worse and worse, but I can't imagine them creating a completely new story and an entire new cast of characters replacing previous ones every 1-2 years without the series having a decline. From what you guys were talking about just a few posts ago it even seems like they are reusing character archetypes. Lets also not forget about the bull**** season pass for this new FE game that costs more than the main game. I can only really see hardcore FE fans not getting tired of the series if they put out another game or two at the rate they are right now.

Anyways, I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but now that the Switch is released Nintendo should just let the 3DS die. I remember about 2 months ago I heard Reggie said Nintendo is considering making a successor to the 3DS. It just doesn't make sense that Nintendo is even considering this while mobile gaming on phones is becoming more and more popular (while also making mobile games now) and the Switch is pretty much both a home console and a handheld at the same time. I'm fine with the 2DSXL as long as it is the last Nintendo handheld at least until the Switch has run its course. I mean who doesn't want to see future Pokemon generations and FE games being in HD and on the Switch? Making another handheld would just be holding the Switch back from having an even better library of games and drive away at least some of Nintendo's focus from the Switch.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It's sorta the usual for Fire Emblem because it's popular again. It used to have near yearly releases back in the 2000's (JP release dates)

Binding Blade - 2002
Blazing Blade - 2003
Sacred Stones - 2004
Path of Radiance - 2005
Radiant Dawn - 2007
Shadow Dragon - 2008
New Mystery - 2010

Awakening took 2 years after that while Fates took 3 years since it's pretty much 3 games. FE feels like it had sparse release times because of localization times or passing on it. Took us more than a year to get Fates in English. You're not wrong though in that they're definitely pushing it more. They're just pushing more of it in spin-offs and crossovers, not main games/remakes.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Nintendo even sort of stopped milking Mario (Non-platformers and Mario Maker don't really count imo) for a while too. Maybe FE games won't end up getting worse and worse, but I can't imagine them creating a completely new story and an entire new cast of characters replacing previous ones every 1-2 years without the series having a decline. From what you guys were talking about just a few posts ago it even seems like they are reusing character archetypes. Lets also not forget about the bull**** season pass for this new FE game that costs more than the main game. I can only really see hardcore FE fans not getting tired of the series if they put out another game or two at the rate they are right now.
Reusing character archetypes is just kinda something that is bound to happen. They have been doing that since the 2nd game, really. At the end of the day every main Lord is kind of still similar to Marth at their core for example.
And if you only count main series titles, there's been two years since the last main title. Fates was originally released in 2015. Shadows of Valentia is releasing now 2 years later. There's a new main series title for the Switch that may come out next year but also might be pushed back. Between 2015 and 2017, Fire Emblem got the US version of Fates in 2016 and Fire Emblem Heroes earlier this year. To be honest,it's not even that much.
And yeah, like it has actually been said before, FE has always had only a few short intervals between releases of new games.
  • Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (NES) - 1990
  • Gaiden (NES) - 1992
  • Mystery of the Emblem (SNES) - 1994
  • Genealogy of the Holy War (SNES) - 1996
  • Thracia 776 (SNES) - 1999 (extremely shortened version of what happened is that FE64 got canned and they slapped whatever they had built up to that point into this game and the next one)
  • Binding Blade (GBA) - 2002
  • Blazing Sword (GBA) - 2003
  • Sacred Stones (GBA) - 2004
  • Path of Radiance (GCN) - 2005
  • Radiant Dawn (Wii) - 2007
  • Shadow Dragon (NDS) - 2008
  • New Mystery of the Emblem (NDS) - 2010
  • Awakening (3DS) - 2012
  • Fates [Birthright/Conquest/Revelations] (3DS) - 2015
  • Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS) - 2017
Also, to be completely honest: Fates isn't universally hated. It's a polarizing and controversial game, but not everybody hates it. Some people in the community actually even swear by it, and it's not necessarily just people who started with it either. I personally did not like it because I didn't dig the gameplay and the story was way too bad for me to make seriously, and the localization didn't make it any better. Talking about the localization of Fates is a very taboo subject, though. TBH Fates localization would already be going down in history as one of the worst pieces of localization of this decade if it weren't for the massive elephant in the room - all this elephant in the room did was take a hackjob of a localization and add controversy on top of it.

finalark

SNORLAX
TBH Fates localization would already be going down in history as one of the worst pieces of localization of this decade if it weren't for the massive elephant in the room - all this elephant in the room did was take a hackjob of a localization and add controversy on top of it.
The inevitable changing of Stand names in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven?

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
The joke is I have no idea what elephant you're talking about, so instead I throw out an obscure game with some unfortunate localization that is most obviously not the elephant.
The "obvious elephant in the room" when it comes to Fates' localization is whether or not we should or shouldn't have the petting minigame the Japanese version of Fates has but the western versions removed.
I think this is a subject that could be interesting to discuss but a few people just can't discuss it without it ending up becoming uncivil.
But hey, this is the unpopular opinion thread, atleast. We can be more free with opinions as long as they're respected.

finalark

SNORLAX
The "obvious elephant in the room" when it comes to Fates' localization is whether or not we should or shouldn't have the petting minigame the Japanese version of Fates has but the western versions removed.
I think this is a subject that could be interesting to discuss but a few people just can't discuss it without it ending up becoming uncivil.
But hey, this is the unpopular opinion thread, atleast. We can be more free with opinions as long as they're respected.
Well, while we're on that subject here's my unpopular opinion: I'm totally cool with the removal of Unit-Amie from Fates. Like, I get how people who are into their ships, the dating sim elements of Fates, or people who are vehemently against any kind of content removal/changes in localization period, would be upset about it. But for me personally, those things aren't why I play FE, so its removal doesn't bother me.

Plus I see why Nintendo removed it. For a vast majority of westerners, rubbing an anime character's face to get them to like you more is less charming and more off-putting.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Plus I see why Nintendo removed it. For a vast majority of westerners, rubbing an anime character's face to get them to like you more is less charming and more off-putting.
Yeah, this is basically the object of the discussion whenever this is brought up: Cultural differences.
Here in my country I think I legit can go to 9 out of 10 people in the streets, explain them the context of this game and the removal of this feature, and they would more than likely go like "Why did they bother and how did they think it was an issue" than "Oh my I am thankful they removed it!"
Whether or not this kind of thing is seen as acceptable is way too culture dependant. Some countries would have an issue with it, other countries simply wouldn't. I don't really see a problem with this.
However, this kind of discussion tends to go sadly wrong whenever somebody enters the discussion and tries to sound like their own concept of what's acceptable and moral > your own. I have actually seen people commenting on this issue literally like "I am extremely glad they removed it, it's extremely disturbing and nothing short of creepy and shame on the person who ever came up with it and thought it was acceptable".
I think it's alright - my culture thaught me it's alright. Some people might not think it is - their culture doesn't see it as alright. Both are fine. What is not fine is when somebody tries to make it look like a one-upping contest on "Which culture is more moral (hint: mine is!)"

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Tekken 5 is better than Tekken 4 in every way. I am not too delighted by most of the stages in T4 having uneven elevations and other tangible obstacles which causes whiffing to be much more common than in other installments. Also, combos look weak in damage according to the juggle system. But T5 brings back the infinite stages which I'm used to, removes uneven terrain and breakable structures, and more than anything else, made combos look much cooler than in earlier games.

finalark

SNORLAX
Tekken 5 is better than Tekken 4 in every way.
I haven't been in touched with the Tekken community in years, but is Tekken 4 getting a ton of hype these days or something? When I used to play it was generally agreed upon to be a major step down from Tekken 3, with Tekken 5 being a major step up.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a great game. Completely forgot about it, but it's not talked about much, and even then it gets turned down.
On the other hand, I'm surprise lots of people enjoyed P5. Even going as far to call it the GoTY 2017 (Yeah I'm still keeping my hype in check for FFXV and Zelda BoTW. Even though I haven't actually played those two lol).

Still don't think it'll top FFXV first impression btw. Out of the big three, I definitely don't think this game will be the GoTY, which is a recent trend happening out of the "big three".

I'm here thinking, nope this game is about equal to P4, which would be just a 9 (or maybe 8ish)/10. Games great, but even it has some glaring flaws.

Edit: Still going first impressions btw, so my opinion regarding might change.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm here thinking, nope this game is about equal to P4, which would be just a 9 (or maybe 8ish)/10. Games great, but even it has some glaring flaws.
Persona 5 is a really good game. I'm not going to call GotY on it because its May and there's seven more months of video games coming out.

Although on that note, FFXV came out in 2016, so it would be ineligible for that reward anyway.

That being said, after finishing P5 I can firmly say that P5 the game is miles upon miles above P4 the game. The dungeons have actual mechanics and puzzles (unlike P4 where its just a bunch of randomly generated floors, obviously bearing SMT's dungeon crawler history), the classic SMT demon negotiation is back, every single social link provides major boons, and maybe I'm just bad at video games but I feel like the difficulty has been turned up a notch.

That being said, P5 the story is a big step down from P4 the story. The overarching narrative of trying to make the Phantom Thieves famous just isn't as engaging as P4's small-town mystery. And man, the traitor twist. From the very beginning the game tries to hang it over your head as some kind of ominous threat that's always scratching at the back of your head. But instead of giving you reasons to doubt the loyalty of each individual party member the twist is so painfully obvious that even your in-universe party members will comment on the fact that they doubted the traitor from the moment they joined your crew.

Like, P5 doesn't have a bad story by any means. It actually has quite a good one, its just that if you're going to compare it to its predecessor it just doesn't stack up.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I'll keep this short and sweet: Melee far outclasses Brawl and 4 in the sense that I have the ability to L-cancel aerials and do fancy advanced techniques.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Persona 5 is a really good game. I'm not going to call GotY on it because its May and there's seven more months of video games coming out.

Although on that note, FFXV came out in 2016, so it would be ineligible for that reward anyway.
Good point. I'll admit that was impulsive of me to state such a claim. I also forgot that FFXV came out in 2016, so noted. Thanks for that.

That being said, after finishing P5 I can firmly say that P5 the game is miles upon miles above P4 the game. The dungeons have actual mechanics and puzzles (unlike P4 where its just a bunch of randomly generated floors, obviously bearing SMT's dungeon crawler history), the classic SMT demon negotiation is back, every single social link provides major boons, and maybe I'm just bad at video games but I feel like the difficulty has been turned up a notch.
I'll give you the dungeon and gameplay mechanics. Though I'm pretty sure that the gameplay mechanics will just get better in each next sequel, so that's probably already a given. The dungeons were just incredible. My favourite being the Pyramid Temple. Just phenomenal. P4's dungeons, despite not being on the same level as P5, at least remains so you can revisit them again. And there were some I like in P4 too.

Difficulty wise it's kind of hard to say. I'm thinking of replaying Persona 4 so maybe I can get to you on that. I will tell you that Persona 3 is harder than 5. Even though it's mostly b/c you could only control your party members in the PSP version. (I have FES the PS2 version, and the fact that the party member Al makes stupid decisions frustrates the **** out of me.)

That being said, P5 the story is a big step down from P4 the story. The overarching narrative of trying to make the Phantom Thieves famous just isn't as engaging as P4's small-town mystery. And man, the traitor twist. From the very beginning the game tries to hang it over your head as some kind of ominous threat that's always scratching at the back of your head. But instead of giving you reasons to doubt the loyalty of each individual party member the twist is so painfully obvious that even your in-universe party members will comment on the fact that they doubted the traitor from the moment they joined your crew.
I'd say both stories were equal. P4's story was engaging and fun as you said, and P5 was a fresh out and unique idea that I appreciate. Though I will say that P5's execution could be written better (at least a little bit). I think what I mean by that was well. P5 started off with a strong beginning, and the events that correlated with the first boss gave me enough motivation to bring him down. This game does a great job in making you hate the villains; the first being a strong example. I disliked that guy but even I have to admit he was written well as a villain.

Though I didn't felt that way with the second (until he states a crime of malnutrition right before you fight him) and third one. The crimes the latter guys did were worse, make sense. You're going up the bigger authority levels in the hierarchy, but I don't know. I felt indifferent in facing them. They just didn't come as strong as the first one. I will say however that Futuba's dungeon was one of the best arc written wise. Story in P5 is still great.

Also, were you trying to say that the traitor part was done poorly in P5? If you are, then I'd agree. I prefer Adachi over Goro at least in terms of motivation and personality, though Goro was more unforgivable if I had to compare the crimes they did. I'd say Ikutsuki in P3 has them both beat in terms of the traitor role.

Like, P5 doesn't have a bad story by any means. It actually has quite a good one, its just that if you're going to compare it to its predecessor it just doesn't stack up.
I actually meant that P5 is equal to P4 in terms of the rating. Both games are a 9 / 10. Sorry if that confused you. P5's the objectively superior game to P4 undeniably, but if I had to make a comparison between each I wouldn't take up your statement of not stacking up either. I'll tell you that I prefer the characters in P4 moreso than P5. Everyone (except Teddie) was at least more memorable. In P5, the only character I cared about was Futuba. Everyone else was just meh.

That's probably not a fair comparison since P4 was milked with a lot of spinoffs and having it's own anime both vanilla and Golden version so you get to see the cast more, but I've only played vanilla P4 anyways.

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I dislike Mario Party (N64) for some of its minigames especially the ones where y'all have to rotate the control stick several times.

finalark

SNORLAX
Difficulty wise it's kind of hard to say. I'm thinking of replaying Persona 4 so maybe I can get to you on that. I will tell you that Persona 3 is harder than 5. Even though it's mostly b/c you could only control your party members in the PSP version. (I have FES the PS2 version, and the fact that the party member Al makes stupid decisions frustrates the **** out of me.)
TBH P3's only difficulty is fake difficulty. I haven't played the PSP version, but I everyone I know who has confirms my suspicions that its much easier.

On that note, another unpopular opinion: P3 has aged poorly and is the least worth-while game in the series, aside from P1.

I'd say both stories were equal. P4's story was engaging and fun as you said, and P5 was a fresh out and unique idea that I appreciate. Though I will say that P5's execution could be written better (at least a little bit). I think what I mean by that was well. P5 started off with a strong beginning, and the events that correlated with the first boss gave me enough motivation to bring him down. This game does a great job in making you hate the villains; the first being a strong example. I disliked that guy but even I have to admit he was written well as a villain.
I agree entirely. The first arc of the game is easily the strongest and best written. Like man, you really feel a connection to Ann and Ryuji when dealing with Kamoshida in a way you just don't feel with the other criminals you're bringing down. The fact that he's a persistent force who shows up constantly to interfere with your life and the lives of your friends really makes you build up a lot of hate for the guy. With every other villain afterwards they just kinda show up, do a bad thing and then are handily taken care of.

Story in P5 is still great.
Most certainly, I just think that P4's story is better.

Also, were you trying to say that the traitor part was done poorly in P5? If you are, then I'd agree. I prefer Adachi over Goro at least in terms of motivation and personality, though Goro was more unforgivable if I had to compare the crimes they did. I'd say Ikutsuki in P3 has them both beat in terms of the traitor role.
Yeah, I was trying to state that an opinion in a spoiler free way in case you hadn't gotten there yet. TBH there's a lot of good ideas involving Goro's character. I feel like if he had joined the party early on in the game, maybe in Makoto's dungeon, then the twist could have been executed better. Instead of giving you a reason to trust and form a bond with him the game just has him pop up constantly throughout the game, kinda spoils it by making his social link go up differently from the rest of your party, has him join and then he betrays you immediately after.

The characters even comment on the fact that his betrayal was obvious and inevitable. Its like the writing team knew it was an obvious twist but decided to roll with it.

I actually meant that P5 is equal to P4 in terms of the rating. Both games are a 9 / 10. Sorry if that confused you. P5's the objectively superior game to P4 undeniably, but if I had to make a comparison between each I wouldn't take up your statement of not stacking up either. I'll tell you that I prefer the characters in P4 moreso than P5. Everyone (except Teddie) was at least more memorable. In P5, the only character I cared about was Futuba. Everyone else was just meh.
I'm not sure you're getting what I'm and I think you agree with me maybe? Persona 5 has better game play, Persona 4 has a better written and executed story.

Although when it comes to characters I love the cast of both games. I wish the game gave you a chance to get to know Haru better in the same way P4 did with Naoto before it just kinda drops her into your party. That aside, I think I like the cast of P4 more because of nostalgia, but time will tell.

EDIT: If there's one piece of P5's game play I'll criticize its that the game buts so much ****ing emphasis on leveling your traits. In every other game if you kinda neglected them to do other things all you really missed out on were some dialog choices. In P5? Have fun getting roadblocked on your social links because you don't have all your traits maxed out.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
I dislike Mario Party (N64) for some of its minigames especially the ones where y'all have to rotate the control stick several times.
How is this unpopular, exactly? I've never met a person who liked those minigames.

Anywho, here's a few of my less-than-popular opinions:

-ARMS doesn't look bad, but I would've rather had a new Punch Out. No reason other than I love Punch Out to death and want to beat Glass Joe's face in in beautiful HD.

-Donkey Kong Country 3 is my favorite of the original trilogy (But all three are great games) I actually like the more gimmicky levels, I think it adds a layer of originality to the classic formula. I also enjoy the more interactive overworld with the vehicles, and the Banana Bird collecting.

:4pikachu:-Best Pokemon

-The Lost Vikings is better than anything else Blizzard ever made. Give me funny dialogue and interesting stage layouts with three characters all needed to advance, over some stupid MMORPGS anyday.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Is that right? This was my first time ever with the original game. Okay, I have another one. I think the AI in Melee is the best since they are easy to cheat out of victory and favor weak attacks much more often than in the other Smash installments. Also, I find it hilarious to run away from a level nine :foxmelee: in the middle of the Temple.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
EDIT: If there's one piece of P5's game play I'll criticize its that the game buts so much ****ing emphasis on leveling your traits. In every other game if you kinda neglected them to do other things all you really missed out on were some dialog choices. In P5? Have fun getting roadblocked on your social links because you don't have all your traits maxed out.
I'm confused. Persona 3 and 4 both also require you to get your traits to a certain level or sometimes maxed out like in Persona 5 for S Links.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm confused. Persona 3 and 4 both also require you to get your traits to a certain level or sometimes maxed out like in Persona 5 for S Links.
Maybe my memory is just foggy, then. I remember traits not having as much emphasis or weight to them in those games as they did in P5.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Maybe my memory is just foggy, then. I remember traits not having as much emphasis or weight to them in those games as they did in P5.
You needed Max Charm, Courage and Knowledge to start the SL for Yukari, Fuuka and Mitsuru respectively (Mitsuru also required having 1st place in Exams). There were others with lower requirements (Tower was Lvl 2 Courage IIRC) but it was only for starting the SLs.

P5 is more ridiculous. Makoto requires Level 3 Knowledge and then Max Charm. Hifumi needs the inverse of Makoto. Iwai wasn't as bad because both requirements were for Guts but you still needed Level 4 to even start his.
Sojiro's was pretty bad too although that's because in addition to Max Kindness it was somewhat tied to the story with Futaba.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Of all the Mario Party games released on N64, I prefer Mario Party 3 the most for unique elements seen in no other MP installment such as Wacky Watch, Reverse Mushrooms to move in paths the game otherwise would not allow, all-or-nothing Game Guy minigames, and Waluigi's Island.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Yeah, I was trying to state that an opinion in a spoiler free way in case you hadn't gotten there yet. TBH there's a lot of good ideas involving Goro's character. I feel like if he had joined the party early on in the game, maybe in Makoto's dungeon, then the twist could have been executed better. Instead of giving you a reason to trust and form a bond with him the game just has him pop up constantly throughout the game, kinda spoils it by making his social link go up differently from the rest of your party, has him join and then he betrays you immediately after.

The characters even comment on the fact that his betrayal was obvious and inevitable. Its like the writing team knew it was an obvious twist but decided to roll with it.
TBH, I kinda felt that Goro's character was a waste. I thought he had potential as a party member. I didn't approve of his reason for doing what he did but if you'd ask me, I'm not sure how I'd go about it myself either. Your suggestion sound like it could do his job better.

Social stat prerequisites getting in the way doesn't surprise me. I remember in P4 when I tried to have Nanako reach out, I had to have a certain level of kindness to continue her social link mid-way. Sojiro too. Though that doesn't really bother me much since I'm on my second play-through anyways.

Regardless I can understand why that would be fustrating.

Edit: Lots of paragraphs removed in my post just b/c they were unnecessary to bring up.

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Mario Party 4 is better than the other MPs on Gamecube for the ability to set specific minigames that are to be played in party mode. The ones y'all don't like never have to be played again! Isn't that sweet?

D

Deleted member

I really enjoyed the story and the characters and of course the gameplay was top-notch. This was my first Persona and I thought it was really solid throughout, so much so that it's my 3rd favorite RPG. I think the story hit home for me because I've dealt with terrible adults recently and seeing these characters fight and rebel against them gave me some courage that I wish I had before.
However, I think the game isn't perfect. For example, I agree that some Social Links are ridiculous in terms of their requirements (I focused on getting max Charm for weeks just to romance Makoto, who is my favorite P5 character), the traitor was obvious (and if you paid attention way before, you know why), and I don't think that the other adults were as great as Kamoshida because they weren't as personal as him (aside from maybe the last one).

As for unpopular gaming opinions...
-Persona 5's translation is not a bad one in my opinion. At least the localization team made it faithful to the original source material, unlike Fire Emblem Fates where a lot was changed around for mostly the worst.
-Sonic Adventure 2 is trash. I can tolerate and find some enjoyment from Sonic Adventure 1, but I only like a third of SA2 (maybe even less than a third). Why is this considered to be the best Sonic game?
-I don't see a reason why people should get an Xbox One. Sure there's Halo and Forza, but the PS4 has a lot more exclusives and shares a lot of games with XB1. I don't see a point in buying it.
-I find Ocarina of Time to have more replay value, but I think Majora's Mask is better.
-I love Skyward Sword and it's my favorite Zelda game. (as of this post, I have not yet played Breath of the Wild)
-I think every Smash game, except for arguably the original N64 game, has some very poor balancing. The games are fun, but I find some balance design choices to be terrible, such as overlooking at how bad Kirby was in Melee or how good Meta Knight was in Brawl. 4 suffers from this problem less so and many characters are viable, but some buffs or nerfs weren't that effective or very questionable; I would not give a character like Bowser a combo throw.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
bowser wouldn't be a functional character without his kill throw, quite honestly

sure it's not very good design but grapplers aren't very well designed from an objective perspective anyways

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Bowser and DK are to balancing what Lunatic+ is to Fire Emblem Awakening
"How do we fix this a superficial level with 0 effort?"
So instead of making good analysis on how to effectively fix the problem, you give a terrible character something broken and hope that the problems fix themselves and that the community will somehow defend it.

Top Bottom