• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your reasons for choosing your main?

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
My main is Olimar. The pikmin franchise is one of my all-time favorites, so when I heard he was going to be in brawl, you can imagine how happy I was. Combine that with his unique(and badass) moveset, and I had found a main. :D

I secondary Zero Suit Samus. I've been playing brawl with my friends since it came out, but I only got brawl for myself last year. For a few monthes, I played wifi and worked on improving with Olimar. Then, I realized I while I had played with all of the other characters, I never actually played with ZSS before. So I chose her, and was like OMG this character is so MUCH FUN to play as.

Yeah, that's my story. :bee::bee::bee:

YamiRyuu

Smash Rookie
I main Wolf because in Melee I mained Fox, and when I tried him in brawl, I just got bored, so I started using Wolf because he is similar, so it wasn't a huge transition and just stuck with him.

shrillbert

Smash Apprentice
I must admit I've never really had a specific main, but the one that comes closest is Lucario, for his Aura Sphere and his qualities as an all-round fighter.

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
I like Ness for the sick aerials and the 'an hero' bombers(PK Thunder 2).

Yo-yos and bats are always up my alley.

KatanaK7

Smash Rookie
ZSS here, when I started Brawl, I tried Samus, got the Smashball and used it, then I was like: Great -_- Character-change...
But I actually like ZSS, so then I went to Training all the time to get the Smashball and just plant my foot in the CPU's backside. Then I discovered how to start a match as ZSS and not Samus, and I was sold :D
Secondaries: Not trying to think about that because I still suck an elephants toe-hair.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I picked Pikachu as my main because out of all my favorite characters, he was highest on the tier list.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I chose Marth because he is pretty well balanced, his down air makes a great meteor smash, and his Down B is my favoritest move ever (second only to Wario's Down B.)

Xubble

Smash Ace
I have "three" mains, so read the wall of text if you wish. @_@

My "main" main, King Dedede, won me over with his aerial power. F-air is just a big wall that's great for edgeguarding, b-air is perfect in almost every single aspect, and d-air does great in low-air combat. Also, his Regicide is FANTASTIC for when I need to level the field.
Oh, and chaingrab too. Gotta love that. ^_^

My second main, Lucas, used to be on my "lolwut" list. He never appealed to me, and nobody EVER used him when I played. Then I got him when I picked Random once. He was mobile, had aerials that went perfectly with my playstyle (N-air and b-air spike FTW! ^_^), AND he came from one of my favorite franchises. I picked him up, and when I discovered all of his physics-breaking power, I went nuts. He was my main main for a long time, and he's always a reliable backup for me.

And then there's Ganondorf. What, bottom-tier? I refuse to let the King of Evil be denounced as such! What truly got me hooked onto Ganondorf was his d-air and Ganoncide. He's a real threat if played defensively, and I know just how to do that. MEET THE BOOT, AND MEET YOUR DOOM! ^w^

Horizont

Smash Cadet
For a while I played as Lucario, because I figured he would be similar to Mewtwo, who at the time was my Melee main. I didn't click with him, and I heard how cheap Olimar supposedly was, so I tried Olimar. I fell in love immediately.

I play a variety of other characters, but Falco is my true secondary. I used to avoid the space animals like the plague, and I'm not really sure why. Then one day I decided to choose random in training mode, and I got Falco. I clicked again immediately.

For a while I played Zero Suit Samus, but I could never fully figure her out. I picked her because I liked the way the guy says "Samus" on the character selection screen. I'm not really sure why on that one. Then I got a smash ball, and realized ZSS was fun, but just not really my style. Her way of fighting was too different from what I was used to, and I couldn't get used to it.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Very simple; the first trailer. I was just amazed that Pit was back. I played KI on the Game Boy a lot as a kid.

When Sonic was announced I wasn't sure what I would do but I definitely like Pit's playing style better. Sonic is cheap as hell and probably easier to play/win as but I just had more fun with Pit. The challenge was nice, too.

BlackFox

Smash Rookie
My Main character is Olimar. Why I chose him, idk...he just looked interesting. I had no idea who he was before brawl. In fact, I bought Pikmin 2, BECAUSE he was in Brawl. He plays nicely and has just the right playstyle I'm looking for. Also, he made my melee main, my second main.

Pikachu, is my second main. Although I prefer Olimar, I think that I'm equal, if not better when I use Pikachu. I mained him in Melee because I love pokemon and the show. I got quite good with him, and I use him when I play with my cousins, for old main sakes.

My third main is a toss up between Lucas, ROB, or Pokemon Trainer. I'd like to say that I'm good with Lucas and ROB, and I'm currently learning PT because I used to suck with him, despite the fact I was looking fowards to him the most. I chose Lucas becuase he was a spin on Ness that I could actually use, and ROB due to my pure love of robotic characters.

Segastorm

Smash Apprentice
I got 2 mains

Lucas: While I was messing around with an RPG 3 years back, I was playing Lucas, and man.....I pwnd the CPU, so I played him more and more......a few months back is when I got competitive about the game, so I started playing online, learning advanced techmiques, and I turned into a formidable oppenent.

Kirby: I pretty much started maining him after I got into Kirby Super Star/Kirby Super Star Ultra, his combos, when I first saw, were amazing, so I got comfortable and boom, main #2

TimboJimbo

Smash Rookie
SSB: Kirby - He was adorable, he had loads of jumps, his throws rocked and stone is awesome!!

SSBM: Roy - Kirby was nerfed a bit and I loved Roy's special attacks. Roy>>>Ike :(

SSBB: ICs - Started off as Kirby but then started to notice just the amount of damage these little guys can crack out. Great smash attacks. Afterwards I learnt about the chaingrab and still cant do it.

miharuka

Smash Cadet
I have 3 mains.
Ganondorf, Kirby and Pikachu.
Ganondorf just because he is so strong. I mean, when I play as Ganondorf I mostly win with like 8 kills or more. ^^

Kirby because he has always been my favorite. :) and he is easy to play as. He can fly as well, so he wouldn't die fast. And I love the hammer and the taunt of Kirby. xD

And Pikachu because..thunder. When I play as Pikachu I almost always win. xD

miharuka

Smash Cadet
^ Omg, is that possible?! Really? Ahahahaha xDD
No, I never met people like that.
Altough I go online often. (:
I actually don't see many Mr Game&Watch online..
And my friends or I almost never play as Mr Game & Watch either..

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I asked that because online, I meet many players who spams Thunder way too much, so this is why I pick Mr Game & Watch. Most of the time, they continue to do it even though I've flushed the filled bucket at them for a nice K.O. :laugh:

miharuka

Smash Cadet
^ Mwhahaha x'D
I should try it once when I see a Mr Game & Watch (I rather don't play him myself, because I'm not good with him. xD).
Hopefully he will use his bucket then. :3
I seriously never saw it before. o-o''

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Well, Thunder spammers are far more present than Meta-Knight's Mach Tornado spammers. Kirby's Stone spammers are rare too, but not as much as Meta-Knight. Oh well =P

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I've only encountered one or two of them, and they always committed suicide whenever they did it. I was lucky compared to you I guess :troll:

miharuka

Smash Cadet
-w-''
Yeah, you were!
The one I was against were really good. xD
Even me with my Pikachu Thunder was no match against THEM.
It was especially annoying when I was Ganondorf. :/ It was sooo hard to dodge them! ><''

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Even well used, Ganondorf is almost no match for Meta-Knight.

Enough off-thread talk, let's get back to why we picked a particular character !

miharuka

Smash Cadet
Yeah, sorry. ^^''
Come to think of it, I've forgotten somebody very important.
IKE!!
I love it to play as Ike!!
He haves very strong moves which are pretty easy to use. x3

tubby

Smash Rookie
I main pokemon trainer because he's unique and fun to play and my friends never beat my pt

I also main Ike because he's fun and my friends never beat my Ike either XD

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I like love kirby. I played the first game when i was young and has been playing others ever since. When i noticed the first smash bros, i was hyped. Really hyped. Though the n64 controller was a tad uncomfortable, I didn't mind playing for hours on end.

I sucked alot due to major professionalism of other players.
But i kept on playing til' melee, then brawl.

Kirby is GOD

Smash Rookie
I first started playing Smash with Super Smash Bros. Melee and I realized that I main with Kirby, but I think all the bottom tiers are capable of much more, even Samus (despite the fact I never played the original). Thats why my icons feature Samus, Pichu, and Ganondorf.

Kirby.

I love the kirby games, and to be honest, he was pretty good in SSBM.

yeah, i said it.
Finally, someone else notices Melee Kirby's potential.

Tsubame

Smash Cadet
Well that's not that hard to explai.. SHORYUKENNN!!!!!

ohh dear god the word won't even let me finish these days

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Toon Link = my favorite video game character ever. The Wind Waker was my first Zelda game I owned and got into, and he has some of the funniest, best timed, and most unique facial expressions and reactions of all-time. He has so much personality for someone who (rarely) talks. Plus he's friggen a master at stealth, got a pirate girlfriend, has a sword, awesome long-range attacks, and is all-around awesome. I liked Young Link. I love Toon Link.

I knew Toon Link would be in Brawl, and since he's my favorite video game character of all-time, I had to main him. I had high expectations for him, and Sakurai went far and beyond. I never main anyone in anything because I like them-before Toon Link in Brawl I would sooner make fun of those people than understand them. Toon Link is my sole exception! :grin:

Edit: Also, I like Toon Link I don't have a secondary. Eff 'em!!!

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Mario, plainly due to having mained him since the 64, and Yoshi due to his unique playstyle. My friends and I aren't very competitive, but we picked up BBrawl a little while back, so power's never been an issue.

Top Bottom