• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Project M?

abcool

Smash Ace
Well I hope you guys don't just make the returning melee characters identical to their melee counterparts. I know it's P:M but me and many other melee veterans find melee to be stale now. We've seen all the situations and combos so many times, if I play P:M I don't want to see the same combos. I really wouldn't mind if you guys made some drastic changes to old characters. Replace Falcon's main KO move from the knee to his Falcon punch and make the move faster, let him chain his B attacks together. Just give the characters enough changes to make them feel new.
I think the reason characters aren't gonna change from their Melee counterparts is because those characters have been basically played/tested for 11 years they have an established metagame and it would be crazy to throw that away. Brawl changed them already and although they are popular i think most people would perfer seeing Melee Falco to Brawl falco anyday the moves just flow better under a Melee setting. Ex. Ken and Ryu. In most games they retain the same movesets with slight alterations, it's the same here. Simply because in smash fighting different characters makes you do different things. You can't fight Samus with Falco the sameway you fight Falcon/Fox and that along with Brawl AT's staying and new matchups their metagame will only be pushed even further revealing things that can't be seen in Melee itself.

Smash 4 will be something new from the ground up, so i don't think that would be "good' people are more willing to accept "crap" when it comes from Nintendo, but if the PMBR does it all hell breaks loose. I would perfer they just stick to the core audience and take their chances putting the top tiers back and buffing the low/mids.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lots of different people to appeal to. I think PM's doing a good job right now, though.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
dude I find that so strange! lol

because if they are willing to play P:M [goes as far to say they LOVE it and are willing to put the effort to learn the advance techniques (which are pretty much like melee)], why don't they play melee????

I just don't get it
for me there's a couple of reasons. as a person who mostly plays brawl (read: p:m, brawl-), i'm used to how brawl feels. and even though p:m is replicating melee physics, i am still able to play faster, better, and more consistently than if i were to play melee. it just comes down to the feel.

the character buffs help too. i never really liked playing with almost any of the melee high/top tiers, and learning any other character seemed utterly worthless. it helps to know thay there aren't just 8 or 9 characters worth using.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
All 3 Ganon mains from BC, Noobking, bwmat, and DaZe (a different daze) all don't like Ganon in P:M because of how different he is. They don't feel like he is "Ganon" anymore for some reason.
Meh... I guess theyre entitled to their opinions, I just don't see how hes all that different. They practically ported his moveset lol I have found it completely painless to transition between the two games in the same sitting

:phone:

forward

Smash Champion
Yea it's understandable that old characters aren't changed much. Just make sure their attacks have cool added special effects, like those purple sparks on ganon's moves.

dkuo

Smash Lord
I haven't played PM very often but the few times I have I've had a good time. Of course it's not the same as Melee but that's not what the game is. The only development direction I (slightly) disagree with is rewarding both offensive/defensive play equally (forgot where I heard this so I could be wrong) but that's just bias on my part. Overall though I think PM is great. Some really promising tournament videos have been floating around so I personally have a lot of faith in PM.

I agree that the aesthetics of Brawl carry over (look/feel/sounds/etc.) and that detracts from the experience for Melee players since they're so used to Melee aesthetics. If people put time into PM like they do for Melee, this problem should only be temporary. The camera movement is my biggest personal gripe on aesthetics, idk if I'll ever get over it <_<

Personally though, I'm not going to go practice or experiment bigtime like I do with Melee until the final version comes out so that I know I'm working with the final characters.

Sacredtwin11

Smash Apprentice
I played PM with my friend once a while back at his house, and my biggest complaint was that the whenver you tech rolled, it felt slow as hell compared to melee.
Either that, or it was just those few characters that I tried out.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Sorry to change the subject about characters likes or dislikes, but probably one of the things that i liked the most was a new AI for the computer controlled characters. I know the only ones that really changed were falco, fox, falcon and wolf with l-cancels and stuff, but it seemed amazing to me that they were gonna work on that. the reason why, is of course because the only person i have to play with is my 9 year old little brother, so i could basically play against a character that was controlled by an AI and actually have a good, interesting match, or i could learn to deal with falco's lasers, shiek's tec.chase, etc.

I think the dev. team should work alot more on this, but since brawl is way bigger in size and resources compared to melee, i guess some people wouldn't need it. By the way, i live in Venezuela (melee smash scene is almost non-existent here) so obiviously for me, and for many other people who don't have anybody to play with could REALLY use that kind of AI.

What do you guys think about it? is it a waste of time or could it actually be something usefull?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
He wasn't talking about the distance. He was just talking about the speed. He said it that they felt too slow, but I personally don't have a problem.
It goes the same distance as Melee in the same amount of time.

Thus it is the same speed.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
nah bro everything's right, prolly just brawl visuals throwing dudes off.

nah bro everything's right, prolly just brawl visuals throwing dudes off.
This has always been the biggest thing I thought on most complaints for stuff being different.

It seems a shame that one of Brawls good ideas with replay cannot be used at all if P:M is to be made properly.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Nah, just physics. Like, people think Fox falls faster and stuff. Which isn't true.

Magus ripped translations from rolls from Melee, so.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about it? is it a waste of time or could it actually be something usefull?
I love the AIs, though they suicide too much in my cases. I don't think it's a waste. Personally I think that improved AIs have to be done in Melee someday, if possible, also (since P:M will never be tournament standard) as it will help people get better. BTW I'm probably be biased since NOBODY I know still plays Melee at my area, they all play CoD, Brawl, or LoL.

abcool

Smash Ace
I seriously don't understand how a game that has unlimited modding possibilites can't be better than a 11 year old game when it is completed. Sounds like bais opinion to me.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Melee was a masterpiece, it'll be difficult to make something at a similar level than Melee even if it does get close or is more fun. Melee will always be remembered and respected as a competitive masterpiece. Oh BTW a mod cannot be tournament standard (Yes I know CS was but that's a different case).

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
you can't beat what people are used to

if the most perfect, balanced, exciting, and deep Smash game were ever created, many Melee players still wouldn't like it as much

abcool

Smash Ace
Super Smash Bros. Melee was a masterpiece, it'll be difficult to make something at a similar level than Melee even if it does get close or is more fun. Melee will always be remembered and respected as a competitive masterpiece. Oh BTW a mod cannot be tournament standard (Yes I know CS was but that's a different case).
It makes no sense to me, Melee will be played, but if there is a better version of it out there it will be accepted. When you love smash you love smash. I never liked Melee when it first came out i liked Smash 64 the most, the combos, the sfx and everything in that game was superior to Melee back in the day to me, only the competitive aspect of Melee made me love it more and play it more, not to mention more characters and stages. We aren't supported by some big company, so this game can be accepted, if we want to accept it.

I know people will love melee, but this isn't an Olympic event we are trying to replicate by finding players to match superstars. We are porting one games phyiscs to another with the SAME characters and more. How can it be worst in that regard. All i am saying is at the end of the day Smash is a video game first and a competition later. People not believing this game can't improve upon Melee when that is the intended goal is kinda twisted.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
It makes no sense to me, Melee will be played, but if there is a better version of it out there it will be accepted. When you love smash you love smash. I never liked Melee when it first came out i liked Smash 64 the most, the combos, the sfx and everything in that game was superior to Melee back in the day to me, only the competitive aspect of Melee made me love it more and play it more, not to mention more characters and stages. We aren't supported by some big company, so this game can be accepted, if we want to accept it.

I know people will love melee, but this isn't an Olympic event we are trying to replicate by finding players to match superstars. We are porting one games phyiscs to another with the SAME characters and more. How can it be worst in that regard. All i am saying is at the end of the day Smash is a video game first and a competition later. People not believing this game can't improve upon Melee when that is the intended goal is kinda twisted.
I REALLY love the mod I really do it did everything I wanted Brawl to be and I have been playing it constantly every time I can for the past few months, but I just simply see Melee a piece of art that can't be replaced by something else due to human thinking. I actually think the mod is a little more fun than Melee due to it's AIs and its roster and it feels like the game I was long waiting for, but Melee just can't be replaced because of how people mind's work and because the mod's developer does not wish to do so.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
There's no reason a mod couldn't become tournament standard. The game is good, it's competitive, it's fun. It's got everything it needs. If the community gets on board and consistently bring sit to tournaments, if players open their minds, there should not be any problem. Really, we're making the game, we bring it to events, but beyond that, it's all on you guys.

I'm one who thinks that if a game is good, it should be played. It doesn't matter who makes it, if it's official or a mod. If you're one of those tourney players who see the potential in Project M, you can always apply to be a tester. We have always been open to feedback. You guys are going to be the ones playing it after all.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Afaik, you guys are only accepting applicants for your dev team, but whatever.

I've been working hard to practice my 3d modeling and animation skills, so maybe really soon I'll apply for that. But whatever- offtopic.

For the ontopic section of my post, I'll bring up the "there have been other mod games that have hit it huge in the competitive scene such as dota, CS, etc" argument.
Yep.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Yeah I think at the very least P:M will become a tournament standard. It is simply too well-made to ignore.

Personally, I think once the final version is out we will see where P:M is going. I see it doing well, possibly even fantastically.

One thing I've been thinking though, I feel that a better name should be made for the final release. Calling a finished product "Project [insert name]" makes it sound tenuous, unstable, and unfinished. I think its appropriate for now, but I really feel that calling it "Project M" emphasizes its mod nature and makes people inherently view it in a lesser way.

Personally I just like "Super Smash Bros: Melee 2". Has a very official and clean ring to it.

Citrus

Smash Apprentice
I don't know... Melee 2 sounds a little too Melee clingy if you know what I mean.
The title should sound more independent, like it's its own thing.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We've put a lot of time, resources and effort into putting out our name as "Project M" and it'd be very difficult to re-create our image & widespread recognition under a new title. It's possible we'll eventually change our name to a less under-dev implying one, but not very likely.

Citrus

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it is a little too established to change at this point I suppose.
And the name does has a certain epicness about it.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
The thing is, it IS Melee clingy. That's the whole point. It's a mod that is making Brawl in to what is essentially a Melee sequel.

I understand that there has been a lot of time and effort put in to the name "Project M", but things have working titles all of the time. People will hear about this thing, I am not worried about its exposure. Just look at the amount of people ALREADY playing this thing, casually and competitively. It's not going to be fully released for a good while and it's already one of the most hyped (if not THE most hyped) mods out there. People will flock to this.

Like I said, if it is presented as a true sequel that has been years in development (as opposed to "some mod"), I feel that more people will desire to play it. It's simple marketing. They aren't calling the new Halo game "Project: Halo, the Forerunner chronicles", it's just Halo 4. It is a simple title that lends itself to appealing to the less-than-educated masses. It is simply a sequel, which is the best marketing shtick that P:M has going for it.

This is all just my opinion obviously, and I am extremely impressed with the work the P:M crew has done so far. I just really want to see it succeed.

Top Bottom