• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what are the reasons to ban a character?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
It's not subjective. It's simply incredibly complex. But in MK's case... who's more viable with him around? Which characters who don't already have some very hard counters have him as their worst matchup? Between very few and none.
-sigh-

It's not simply that more characters are viable without him.

It's also the fact that MK is undoubtedly the best secondary in the game, he covers all your characters bad match-ups, and prevents you from being counter-picked.

Without MK different characters are basically forced to pick different secondaries to cover their bad match-ups. This leads to a dynamic meta-game basically.
With MK allowed it's just go MK or be forced to be at a disadvantage.

But anyway for specific characters...
It would depend on who you define as 'viable'.
For characters capable of winning a national tournament, that would be MK, Snake, Diddy and Falco. For characters placing highly, it would be S, A and B tier (possible high C tier on rare occasion).
With MK banned I would think Wario and Marth would definitely be capable of winning nationals, Olimar, Pikachu and D3 would also have a good shot.

Kirby, Toon Link, ROB and Peach (Toon Link especially) all have bad match-ups with MK (worst or second worst), and would probably be made quite a bit better without him.

Of course this is all speculation and I have no concrete proof of it, which is basically why if nothing else there should be a temporary ban on MK, to gather data on it. (such as characters in top 8/16, stages counter-picked, player opinions)

After that the community can basically come to an informed decision on the matter. Before that neither side really has enough evidence.

You should look into TKD
The guy that wants air time limits and goes MK on MK's counter-picks?

Anyway how many times have we seen the "-character X- goes even with MK!"

I have a fox second (ex-main) in my area who I've played against and the match-up is closer than most to even sure but still MK's advantage.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Whoops. Somehow, I forgot to finish my sentence. :laugh: It's supposed to read, Imagine a game where all the characters are unique. There happens to be one character who goes between 55-45 and 60-40 with the whole cast (usually leaning towards 55-45) with a few exceptions in low tier going 70-30 or worse his way. Almost no character, and certainly no character who would be viable without him there, has him as their worst matchup. Is it still right to ban him?

You think my school of thought is imperfect as far as results go (given accurate, perfect parameters)? Give me a concrete example where a game which is less deep is better for competition (in a way that is comparable; for example, SSBB versus SSBB without Final Destination, or Street Fighter 2 Turbo vs. SF2T sans Akuma). I haven't seen it fail yet. Its failure comes when you try to give it unsure (for example, we can't tell if brawl is a more deep game if MK is legal-there are too many variables to really be able to tell) or indiscreet (ones you can't compare; for example, Brawl vs. Call of Duty: Black Ops-they are two very different games, it really is comparing apples and oranges) parameters to work with. But beyond that? It is perfect. Think it isn't? Give me one example.

Subjectively deciding on something is bad for quite obvious reasons-subjective opinions on an objective subject can (and very often are) flat-out wrong. Best example: a certain smash community thinks the best, most competitive way to play is with the only legal stage being Bridge of Eldin (or, more extremely, Temple Hyrule). This is so obviously wrong it's not even funny-the game is broken on both of those stages. And yet, you would claim that they're fine with doing that. And then deciding to ban Lazer camping, and running away, and... You get my point.
I make no claim to objectivity, why do you put the burden of proof on me? Youre the one saying your rules are perfect, because they make the game ''more competitive/better for competition'', for a game to be objectively ''more competitive'' the term more competitive must encompass a set of values universally held to be the best. Like for example a game is more competitive if it has greater depth or is more difficult. However not all people share theese values, indeed the values themselves are subjective (hencewhy it's hopeless to try and build a term with an objective meaning upon them) and if you look into the matter realistically you will find that what most people value above all is whether or not the game is actually funny, rather than it's complexity. You exclude all other opinions than your own when you use a term like better for competition because what they find makes competition better is not necessarily included in your term, indeed ''more competitive'' is a term cleverly crafted to disguise your own subjectivity. It's also bad from a social perspective, not everyone is capable of seeing through such a term and will likely not want to admit to addherring to ''less competitive principles'' hencewhy you immediately gain an unfair advantage in discussions, but at the same it's probably also why you've been branded a facist by some lacking better words to express their disagreement.

Furthermore please be realistical, the nightmare scenario you picture is never going to happen if the community is somewhat large, in fact it just as likely that such a situation could arise as a consequence of attempted pure rationalism because humans do err. A democratic approach however tends to take the edges of such errors and whilst per definition can never achieve perfection usually comes closer than the philosophies which strive directly for it.

NNID
Budget_Player
I make no claim to objectivity, why do you put the burden of proof on me? Youre the one saying your rules are perfect, because they make the game ''more competitive/better for competition'', for a game to be objectively ''more competitive'' the term more competitive must encompass a set of values universally held to be the best. Like for example a game is more competitive if it has greater depth or is more difficult. However not all people share theese values, indeed the values themselves are subjective (hencewhy it's hopeless to try and build a term with an objective meaning upon them) and if you look into the matter realistically you will find that what most people value above all is whether or not the game is actually funny, rather than it's complexity. You exclude all other opinions than your own when you use a term like better for competition because what they find makes competition better is not necessarily included in your term, indeed ''more competitive'' is a term cleverly crafted to disguise your own subjectivity. It's also bad from a social perspective, not everyone is capable of seeing through such a term and will likely not want to admit to addherring to ''less competitive principles'' hencewhy you immediately gain an unfair advantage in discussions, but at the same it's probably also why you've been branded a facist by some lacking better words to express their disagreement.
First of all, I put the burden of proof on you because I've demonstrated the theory fairly extensively. I've tried it with a whole lot of test cases, and the theory has never failed. Not once. Your arguments against it seem to boil out to "no, you're wrong".

Furthermore, I've presupposed that the level of competition is defined by the game's effective competitive depth. This presupposition is fair to make. Why? Because it's a pattern that has drawn itself through the history of competitive gaming, that's why. It's a slight jump, but there's no other quality to point to which has such consistency beyond "number of players", which I am discrediting for being completely arbitrary and which doesn't point to "competitive" at all (to be precise: brawl with items on high would be more competitive than our version of brawl if it were). This is where I get off saying "More Competitive". Part of the whole theory is defining a quantitative version of competition in the first place (if this was not obvious. Please tell me if it isn't, because this really should be clear enough for anyone, let alone someone who is as smart as you clearly seem to be-if you don't get this, I'm doing something wrong).

That it grants me an advantage is purely cosmetic; I suppose it is an advantage, but only if the people who listen to me are stupid. They aren't-the stupid people are listening to 107.3 FM, "status quo radio", and will more likely ignore my theories.

Also, the person who called me a fascist was my ethics teacher (after he heard my stances on abortion, euthanasia, and a few other death-related subjects). And the guys in the debate hall for the same stances.

Furthermore please be realistical, the nightmare scenario you picture is never going to happen if the community is somewhat large, in fact it just as likely that such a situation could arise as a consequence of attempted pure rationalism because humans do err. A democratic approach however tends to take the edges of such errors and whilst per definition can never achieve perfection usually comes closer than the philosophies which strive directly for it.
And now you generalize "Absolute" philosophies. Sure, sometimes they have awful results. However, I ask you for an example of how something like that could happen with this philosophy and you come up blank?

And it's very well possible for a democratic group to come to an agreement like that. Think it's unrealistic? The stagelist for VersusMatch.com wifi tournaments was to choose at random between FD, SV, and Bridge of Eldin. You said it yourself-humans can err. But which is more likely to err-a group of uneducated people who very often have no idea what they are talking about (listen to some of the opinions/miseducated snippets around the forum and you'll get an idea-people think Japes is random, or RC is random, or that PS2 is a poorly balanced stage... And that's just smashboards, elsewhere you'll have people advocating stages like Corneria or BoE!) and are easily influenced by regional bias/status quo, or a philosophy based on competitive logic observed throughout competitive gaming over the past few thousand years, constructed by some of the brightest competitive minds out there?

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
No character should be banned. Every character has a weakness to exploit no matter how big or small. That is why many players test and experiment on certain situations like when Meta knight uses Mach Tornado. What can that character do to stop it without being hit or what to do to punish it when he finishes the attack. That is just a tiny example. I don't want to type an essay to be honest...

Ghostbone

Smash Master
No character should be banned. Every character has a weakness to exploit no matter how big or small. That is why many players test and experiment on certain situations like when Meta knight uses Mach Tornado. What can that character do to stop it without being hit or what to do to punish it when he finishes the attack. That is just a tiny example. I don't want to type an essay to be honest...
SSF2T Akuma

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
The BBR established some popular criteria a while ago during the initial mk talks. That criteria was met, and they ended up extending it.

In reality, a majority of TOs aren't going to consider banning any characters until this game's popularity stagnates and declines because of people quitting the game. As long as a good audience of players still enjoys the game as is, many TOs won't bother messing with the status quo. That's the criteria.

NNID
Budget_Player
***** you are so wrong it hurts.

Judo777

Smash Master
(Smiles and shakes head.) Haha! Like I said, I stopped it there. I didn't want to go into full detail. >=)
In a street fighter game (I can't remember which one but its a newer 3d version of the game, not SSF4 or ST or anthing like that) Akuma had a trick where he could simply do a specfic DP that was invincible and outprioitized every move in the game. It also had insane range and it was proven that because of the moves cool down + range + fire ball defense properties it was completely unpunishable and since its a special it did chip damage. Therefore at the beginning of the match Akuma could simply begin doing this DP over and over and inching his way closer to you. If you blocked it you took 1 hit of chip and therefore lost because Akuma could never be hit.

In this situations a few things are true. Number one you can NEVER lose a health lead to akuma or you lost. Therefore if you ever took a hit before he began doing it you lost (assuming you didn't hit him first). Next if Akuma did just decide to continuously do it over and over you only had 2 options. Get hit by it (or block) and take damage and thereby lose, or attempt you simply avoid Akuma the whole time (which im not sure is even possible) and tie.

How do you beat that character?

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
In a street fighter game (I can't remember which one but its a newer 3d version of the game, not SSF4 or ST or anthing like that) Akuma had a trick where he could simply do a specfic DP that was invincible and outprioitized every move in the game. It also had insane range and it was proven that because of the moves cool down + range + fire ball defense properties it was completely unpunishable and since its a special it did chip damage. Therefore at the beginning of the match Akuma could simply begin doing this DP over and over and inching his way closer to you. If you blocked it you took 1 hit of chip and therefore lost because Akuma could never be hit.

In this situations a few things are true. Number one you can NEVER lose a health lead to akuma or you lost. Therefore if you ever took a hit before he began doing it you lost (assuming you didn't hit him first). Next if Akuma did just decide to continuously do it over and over you only had 2 options. Get hit by it (or block) and take damage and thereby lose, or attempt you simply avoid Akuma the whole time (which im not sure is even possible) and tie.

I'm going to be honest and say I don't have an anwser to that. I haven't played a Street Fighter title in I would probably say 2 years. The last one I played was SSF2 for the SNES. Akuma wasn't in that game but I'm aware he was in SSF2T. I haven't seen how Akuma operates in the multiple titles he has been. I'm out to date on SF since I haven't touch any other titles pass the SNES since I enjoy older games a lot more. Heck that be my undoing; Not staying up-to-date.

But hey Judo777 I can see the point your trying to make and I respect what your trying to say. I will apologize that I couldn't give an answer to your example you made.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, i thought ban criteria was quite obvious. When a metagame becomes centralized around a character to the extent that winning ( in this case tournaments- at the highest level nationals), is highly dependant on utilizing said character or countering said character.

Look at Competitive Pokemon. At the end of Gen 4 Salamence was banned because of over-centralization. He was the most used pokemon and (depending on your viewpoint) had no counters or a few dedicated counters which had to included in your team to stop him.

Talking about Mk, because this thread is about MK, no matter what you say. The question you have to ask are:

Does the metagame revolve around utilizing and countering him to win tournaments, to an inappropriate degree than other characters?

Obviously inappropriate is a much argued thing.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Does the metagame revolve around utilizing and countering him to win tournaments, to an inappropriate degree than other characters?

Obviously inappropriate is a much argued thing.
The problem is MK can't be countered, the best you can do is go MK (arguably fox or falco on their best stages when MK's heavily limited >.>).

The degree that's inappropriate is definitely subjective.
According to Ripple's thread MK is used 19% of the time and wins 38% of all the cash at tournaments.

Is that too over-centralizing?
Depends on who you are, some wouldn't consider it over-centralizing until MK's used over 50% of the time or is winning over 50% of the cash at tournaments.
Some would consider the fact he's used 2.5x more than the next character over-centralizing.

According to Sirlin if there is no counter to a certain tactic and people are forced to use that tactic to win it's bannable.
Obviously MK doesn't always win, but he wins more than 3x as much money as the next character (snake).

And there's also the fact that to keep him at this borderline level you need to have rules specifically designed to nerf him. That's reason enough for many people to consider him ban-worthy.

(note that the data above really doesn't have a large enough pool of tournaments yet to be called completely accurate, but it's a starting point)

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
I was trying to stay Neutral in my post.

Tbh the real reason people are anti-ban is simply the time and effort they've spent so far maining MK for up to 2 years. Everyone knows he's the best by a considerable way hence the fact that he's in his own tier.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
In a street fighter game (I can't remember which one but its a newer 3d version of the game, not SSF4 or ST or anthing like that) Akuma had a trick where he could simply do a specfic DP that was invincible and outprioitized every move in the game. It also had insane range and it was proven that because of the moves cool down + range + fire ball defense properties it was completely unpunishable and since its a special it did chip damage. Therefore at the beginning of the match Akuma could simply begin doing this DP over and over and inching his way closer to you.[ If you blocked it you took 1 hit of chip and therefore lost because Akuma could never be hit.

Akuma wasn't banned because his SRK was invincible (which it wasn't)
therefore the bold parts are incorrect

Main reasons was
Air Hadoken
No Dizzy
did to much damage
infinite block string with red fireball in corner
theres more but those are the main ones i know. & he is also Leagues better then the rest of the cast

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Ghostbone, c'mon, MK is (most likely) overcentralizing and too good, but don't use the data that doesn't even have a month's worth of tournaments in it yet... wait until at least the end of February before you start throwing it around, k?

Judo777

Smash Master
Akuma wasn't banned because his SRK was invincible (which it wasn't)
therefore the bold parts are incorrect

Main reasons was
Air Hadoken
No Dizzy
did to much damage
infinite block string with red fireball in corner
theres more but those are the main ones i know. & he is also Leagues better then the rest of the cast
Um name me the game I'm referring to an I might accept your arguement. Because from what ur saying it sounds like ur referring to super street fighter 2 turbo which is NOT what im referring to.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Um name me the game I'm referring to an I might accept your arguement. Because from what ur saying it sounds like ur referring to super street fighter 2 turbo which is NOT what im referring to.
yea I'm referring to ssf2t

but i don't recall Akuma SRK being that over powered in any game... Ill look it up some more

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Ghostbone, c'mon, MK is (most likely) overcentralizing and too good, but don't use the data that doesn't even have a month's worth of tournaments in it yet... wait until at least the end of February before you start throwing it around, k?
lol I agree, and I did put a note at the bottom of my post saying the data wasn't too accurate yet.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
First of all, I put the burden of proof on you because I've demonstrated the theory fairly extensively. I've tried it with a whole lot of test cases, and the theory has never failed. Not once. Your arguments against it seem to boil out to "no, you're wrong".
No they don't, you asked me to demonstrate a situation where a game was better off being less deep, but what makes a game better is subjective hence it is not possible. I could perhaps if I tried hard, demonstrate an instance or two in which you would actually consider a game being better of for competition after being simplified but that would require me using your values in order for you to accept it which would be pointless and counterproductive. I'm trying to get you off your high horses because they are crippling you intellectually.

Furthermore it should be obvious that I never intended to advocate direct democracy but rather a kind Parliamentary system which brings BBR to mind.

And again sorry if I come off as very arrogant : / Usually no one replies to me when I try and post seriously so I'm probably not the best at formulating myself.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Well, we all know this thread is about MK, directly or indirectly. Personally, I think a character should be banned when there is no justifiable reason to use any character but them. In other words, characters with no disadvantageous matchups. MK fits this perfectly, and a lot of people say his ONLY even matchups are on FD, which can be banned in a tournament setting.

It can be argued Brawl is centralized on MK, but even I don't think it is. HOWEVER, banning shouldn't be based on the over-centralization of a character. Many people deliberately refrain from using certain characters as a form of protest BECAUSE the character is broken. This prevents the game from being centralized around the character, thus this prevents the character from being banned. In other words, These attempts to ban the character prevent the character from being banned.

Characters should be banned depending on whether the game has the POTENTIAL to centralize around that character. At this point in the game, a large amount of people purposely refrain from using MK. If these players STOPPED protesting MK, and decided to use him, would he be banned because of this centralization? That system is entirely flawed.

I'd suggest a simple vote. Look at how many people use the character in question, then make a vote regarding the character's ban. If more than half want him banned, BAN THE CHARACTER. If less than half want him banned, examine how many of the voters probably used the character. If it's 60:40 against the ban, and 50% of the players main that character, then the chances are that 80% of people who DON'T use the character, DO want him banned. Therefore, I would say ban that character.

Other factors include strategies that the character is centralized on. If the character is centralized around one or two moves, and uses almost nothing else, in addition to having no counter, the character should definitely be banned... No, even I don't think MK falls into this category (with the exception of a few matchups).

Also consider factors like the amount of skill involved in using and fighting the characters. Although at the HIGHEST level of play, this shouldn't matter, it can take years to reach this level, so it should be addressed so that someone doesn't lose to someone with half their skill despite being a clearly superior player. For example, look at projectiles like Falco's lasers on MK. MK is a small target, and even though this shouldn't matter at the top level of play, semi-advanced players have a hard time trying to hit him. On the flip side, MK has Dair camping, perfect planking, and nado spam, all of which are extremely easy to do.

Honestly, I think votes regarding the characters ban are at least worth a try. Bans definitely shouldn't be based around centralization. People should think, and base bans off moral criteria and statistics such as win percentage and MU ratios.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Epix, it may interest you to know a few things:

First off, we had a ban vote a long time ago. 4 of them, actually. All of them resulted in results between 51% to 55% in favor of the ban. And yet, for some reason, MK is still...

Secondly, Shaya, a mod and BBR member, made a semi-public announcement recently.

The BBR will be discussing the banishment of a certain character in due time.
The decision, arguments and a crapton of information will probably be out around April.
I'm not sure if there's any truth to this, but it may be something to look out for.

Thirdly, Ripple and I have been keeping track of every character's total use and amount of money won in tournaments. You've seen the thread already. Consistent data seems to show MK winning ~40% of the money now, when it was merely 30% a few years back. We obviously have to wait for more data, since we're covering 2011 only, and a month of tournies isn't enough to go off of yet, but it seems like he's winning more than ever before.

Your points are excellent. I don't think I've ever seen such criteria so eloquently explained by any user before in my life. Hopefully, this will be something people can base their arguments on sometime in the future.

NNID
Budget_Player
Just out of curiosity, how many nationals/major regionals have there been since APEX and the last two MLGs? We're talking about a major tournament where there were as many MKs as Sonics in top-8, and the top MK-slayer of the world wasn't even present! Granted, neither was M2K, but that's hardly enough to discredit the tournament.

MK is good, we've gotten that far. But even if he has no bad or even matchups, he's still clearly not broken. Not only are there people choosing other characters (and I mean, a lot), there are people winning with other characters. Who knows, maybe he does have a bad matchup. Maybe fox beats him on more than just FD. Maybe Sonic-MK isn't as clear-cut as we thought. Maybe diddy kong just needs to step his game up. Even if that's not the case, the metagame is vibrant and alive. Hell, just look at europe! Germany has more Sheiks in the PR than MKs! France and Denmark are run by marths (granted, denmark has a few top MKs, but the only truly notable one is an import from NJ). If there's any noteworthy MK at all, it's usually that one guy at the top of the PR (Orion, Staco). And even then, you still have upsets, like Ravenlord placing 5th at a major national going lucas only (the only time he picked another character, he lost). You see DKs, Olimars, Sheiks, Peaches, Links, TLs... The metagame is vibrant to excess. To even imagine that banning metaknight would be an improvement is ridiculous. Granted, we don't have as many randoms to john about it, so...

No they don't, you asked me to demonstrate a situation where a game was better off being less deep, but what makes a game better is subjective hence it is not possible. I could perhaps if I tried hard, demonstrate an instance or two in which you would actually consider a game being better of for competition after being simplified but that would require me using your values in order for you to accept it which would be pointless and counterproductive. I'm trying to get you off your high horses because they are crippling you intellectually.
"My values"? Pointing to direct causation is not something only I do... Go ahead, try hard. Give me one example. That's all it'd take to prove me wrong, really.

The issue is, there isn't one. There is a direct link between "Effective Depth" and "Competitiveness of the game". Granted, not 100% perfect (as things such as randomness can come into play), but given a sufficiently non-random environment (almost all video games) and given a sufficiently even starting playing field (again, almost all video games-I can't think of a counter-example)

Furthermore it should be obvious that I never intended to advocate direct democracy but rather a kind Parliamentary system which brings BBR to mind.
K, how you gonna figure that out? Let people vote for others, I imagine? Again, what if they vote for some idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about? It's not only very possible, it's extremely likely when top players such as ADHD, M2K, and Ally are so incredibly clueless as to what competitive actually means (hint: it's not "banning every stage you don't like"), and such an incredibly large number of people don't understand the differences in the skills required between making a ruleset and winning a game of brawl.

Beyond that? There aren't that many people who are qualified for the job, and 99% of them are either randoms (Raziek, me, ghostbone, etc.) or not well known outside of their branch (AA, Thinkaman). And if they aren't chosen democratically, people are going to follow the exact same pattern we've seen with the BBR rulesets: ***** and moan incessantly about it, then ignore it completely.

But even then, let's imagine that they do get elected, or, more realistically, that the people choose other people who are actually qualified to decide what the correct ruleset is (and boy, let me tell you, THAT is a stretch). Why would anyone from the opposition listen? They're going to take their toys and go home! If a mass of the midwest and southern players vote in liberals, Atlantic North is going to take its toys and go home! Same with the opposite. Granted, this is present everywhere, but it's especially going to be an issue in any democratic method.

And again sorry if I come off as very arrogant : / Usually no one replies to me when I try and post seriously so I'm probably not the best at formulating myself.
Nah, you're fine. It's nice to have to argue with someone who's on a similar level to me for once. You're one of the first people to actually challenge me.

Well, we all know this thread is about MK, directly or indirectly. Personally, I think a character should be banned when there is no justifiable reason to use any character but them. In other words, characters with no disadvantageous matchups. MK fits this perfectly, and a lot of people say his ONLY even matchups are on FD, which can be banned in a tournament setting.
Personal preference, personal knowledge, counterpicking a character with a different character who's even better (If your opponent is going Fox, would you rather be MK, or ZSS?)... Either way, those first two are enough to allow for a massive variety of characters used at all levels.

It can be argued Brawl is centralized on MK, but even I don't think it is. HOWEVER, banning shouldn't be based on the over-centralization of a character. Many people deliberately refrain from using certain characters as a form of protest BECAUSE the character is broken. This prevents the game from being centralized around the character, thus this prevents the character from being banned. In other words, These attempts to ban the character prevent the character from being banned.
...So... what's the problem? If the metagame, even at the highest possible level, hasn't centralized around MK... I mean, it's one thing to be a scrub and say, "Nah, I'm not gonna go with the broken character". But to do that when there are thousands of dollars on the line? That's somehow just a little ridiculous to assume.

Characters should be banned depending on whether the game has the POTENTIAL to centralize around that character. At this point in the game, a large amount of people purposely refrain from using MK. If these players STOPPED protesting MK, and decided to use him, would he be banned because of this centralization? That system is entirely flawed.
"Potential"? Wut? Potential is meaningless. Even if it were meaningful, "Let's cross that bridge when we get there" is by far the better way to deal with the issue. But potential... What potential? What's potentially possible?

I'd suggest a simple vote. Look at how many people use the character in question, then make a vote regarding the character's ban. If more than half want him banned, BAN THE CHARACTER. If less than half want him banned, examine how many of the voters probably used the character. If it's 60:40 against the ban, and 50% of the players main that character, then the chances are that 80% of people who DON'T use the character, DO want him banned. Therefore, I would say ban that character.
Yep, and this totally removes any trace of misinformation or bias from the vote. There's no WAY that DK, Pit, and Peach mains will think "yeah, he might not be broken, but our chances of winning sure do rise if he's gone". Nah, all it does is shift the weight of the bias-both sides can be biased, but only one side's bias has any effect.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Alright, BPC, just a few things in response to your one response to me.

First off, we probably shouldn't be comparing our country's progression to other country's progressions in the game. If other nations aren't having issues with MK, it either means their metagame is far behind or far ahead of ours. There's no way to say for sure.

With that said, I'm not making any claims about MK's success in the US yet, because Ripple and I are keeping track of data in 2011 alone, and we're not even a month in yet. Like I said, I'll start to put more stock into the data once we're two months in. It's just that based on the preliminary data, MK is doing better than years past, and is centralizing to an extent.

And thirdly, about us discussing MK... I seem to recall a lot of people saying, "Don't talk about MK or banning him until MLG is over omgomgomg." :glare:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
viridian city is today. after that result comes in I guarantee that MK will have over 20% usage and over 40% of all the money given out in all of january ($10,000+).

that's unacceptable to me even if it is only a month

NNID
Budget_Player
Alright, BPC, just a few things in response to your one response to me.

First off, we probably shouldn't be comparing our country's progression to other country's progressions in the game. If other nations aren't having issues with MK, it either means their metagame is far behind or far ahead of ours. There's no way to say for sure.
...Or they just don't tier ***** as much. I dunno. It's very possible that they just aren't bandwagoning on MK as much, leading to a much lower level of dominance. I mean, come on, look at the USA. From my perspective, the problem isn't even MK-it's the players who keep choosing MK, and only MK. Maybe my view is skewed, but it seems pretty accurate...

With that said, I'm not making any claims about MK's success in the US yet, because Ripple and I are keeping track of data in 2011 alone, and we're not even a month in yet. Like I said, I'll start to put more stock into the data once we're two months in. It's just that based on the preliminary data, MK is doing better than years past, and is centralizing to an extent.

And thirdly, about us discussing MK... I seem to recall a lot of people saying, "Don't talk about MK or banning him until MLG is over omgomgomg." :glare:
Fair enough. And lol, MLG had ****ty results for MK. :laugh: We done yet?

viridian city is today. after that result comes in I guarantee that MK will have over 20% usage and over 40% of all the money given out in all of january ($10,000+).

All right. We'll see.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
...Or they just don't tier ***** as much. I dunno. It's very possible that they just aren't bandwagoning on MK as much, leading to a much lower level of dominance. I mean, come on, look at the USA. From my perspective, the problem isn't even MK-it's the players who keep choosing MK, and only MK. Maybe my view is skewed, but it seems pretty accurate...
Uhh, isn't that like saying.
"There's nothing wrong with temple, it's just the players circle camping!"
If MK is a problem because of the players he's still a problem....
Doesn't that show that the players need to pick MK to win? That would mean he's a problem.
I mean sure if nobody picks the character obviously he's not a problem, like how Japan soft bans Akuma in SSF2T. (and Old Sagat)

Fair enough. And lol, MLG had ****ty results for MK. We done yet?
M2K had controller johns for MLG (and if you've ever had to use a different controller than the one you normally always play with, it really messes with you), and Dallas didn't even have the top MK there.

NNID
Budget_Player
Uhh, isn't that like saying.
"There's nothing wrong with temple, it's just the players circle camping!"
If MK is a problem because of the players he's still a problem....
Doesn't that show that the players need to pick MK to win? That would mean he's a problem.
I mean sure if nobody picks the character obviously he's not a problem, like how Japan soft bans Akuma in SSF2T. (and Old Sagat)
Err... Not quite. I'd claim that much of the fact that america has such ******** metaknight placing (ESPECIALLY at EC events) bases around the fact that almost every good player plays metaknight. Seriously, it's ********. You could get everyone to play Marth, and then have similar results. This simply is not happening in europe. We have top players playing good characters who win against top-level players. Hell, remember Bushido Brawl Impact? Yeah, neither do I, I wasn't there, But Gluttony, a french Wario, basically handed Ally's *** to him. In france, AFAIK, the best metaknight is the 4th-best in the country (I know that the best players are Gluttony (wario) and Leon (marth), but I'm not sure about third...). We have a ****ing LUCAS who beats high level Metaknights FFS! It really isn't quite that straightforward. Yeah, at low levels, Metaknight dominates. But at high levels? Not so much.

M2K had controller johns for MLG (and if you've ever had to use a different controller than the one you normally always play with, it really messes with you), and Dallas didn't even have the top MK there.
K, there's one top MK...

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Ever think there's a reason most of the top level players use MK?
Maybe it's because he so obviously better than all the other characters in the game.
Sure if everyone played Marth, Marth would dominate.
But that doesn't happen because picking Marth isn't the best option, and there will be players playing MetaKnight that will beat you.

Yes in rare cases MK's can get their *** handed to them by other players, but over time they generally learn the match-up and once again dominate.

Also I don't want to take away any of the top MK's achievements, but maybe consider that those players are top players because of MK?
After a month of data, MK's been shown to be used around 19% of the time, while he's winning almost 40% of the cash at tournaments!

(yes data needs more time and such, but still a pretty strong indication of how good MK is)

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Yo budget, stfu LOL. You weren't there, you don't even play in tourneys so how can you say what competitive is? ***** *** hoe LOL

Europe's best aren't better than U.S' best (Like EU's Falco < US' Falco, etc) Glutonny might be the best Wario since all of U.S wario sucks now or quit. none of you would handle a tourney here anyhow. I'm wasting my time. And I plan on coming back this summer with serious face on.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Yo budget, stfu LOL. You weren't there, you don't even play in tourneys so how can you say what competitive is? ***** *** hoe LOL

Europe's best aren't better than U.S' best (Like EU's Falco < US' Falco, etc) Glutonny might be the best Wario since all of U.S wario sucks now or quit. none of you would handle a tourney here anyhow. I'm wasting my time. And I plan on coming back this summer with serious face on.
The eternal salt of Lord Elliot will slowly sweep across the ocean and punish thy enemies with tilts and nades.

NNID
Budget_Player
Ever think there's a reason most of the top level players use MK?
Maybe it's because he so obviously better than all the other characters in the game.
Sure if everyone played Marth, Marth would dominate.
But that doesn't happen because picking Marth isn't the best option, and there will be players playing MetaKnight that will beat you.
...Except that you're wrong? This does not happen everywhere. It happens in Atlantic North, and because AN happens to be one of the highest-concentration centers of competition in the states, it gets a ****load of attention. But it hasn't happened in the south, midwest, or west, in europe, or in japan.

Yes in rare cases MK's can get their *** handed to them by other players, but over time they generally learn the match-up and once again dominate.
...Or you can watch top MKs getting their ***** kicked by sonics, olimars, and diddies, and think, "dayum, what's going on?".

Also I don't want to take away any of the top MK's achievements, but maybe consider that those players are top players because of MK?
After a month of data, MK's been shown to be used around 19% of the time, while he's winning almost 40% of the cash at tournaments!
Doubtful. Veeeeerry doubtful. How many top MKs switched from another character? Nairo had peach, Ally had Snake, Atomsk used to go DDD... quite a few of the modern pros had other characters, and still did well...

LMAO. Umad?

Did I claim they were better? If I did, I apologize, because it's probably not true. But LOL. Is BBI2 confirmed yet?

The eternal salt of Lord Elliot will slowly sweep across the ocean and punish thy enemies with tilts and nados.
See if you can find the fix.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Nobody cares.

Request name change to Salty Ally.

Edit @ BPC

You really shouldn't talk about EU that much. First of all you don't know enough about our scene yet and 2nd overall we're pretty bad.

:059:

NNID
Budget_Player
Nobody cares.

Request name change to Salty Ally.

Edit @ BPC

You really shouldn't talk about EU that much. First of all you don't know enough about our scene yet and 2nd overall we're pretty bad.

:059:
Fair enough. I can say with some certainty, however, that from what I have seen, the german scene would only suffer from banning metaknight. And looking at the PR in Austria, I'm guessing you guys has it the same.

EDIT: article most definitely related: http://gametheorybootcamp.blogspot.com/2011/01/appeal-to-results-talking-about.html

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Doubtful. Veeeeerry doubtful. How many top MKs switched from another character? Nairo had peach, Ally had Snake, Atomsk used to go DDD... quite a few of the modern pros had other characters, and still did well...
Why would you point out the sum of good players who swapped their characters to MK?

Not only does it point out that a lot of good players dropped their characters for the best one in the game, but when you consider WHY each player made the change to MK, well... yeah, it's really counter-intuitive to your argument.

NNID
Budget_Player
Why would you point out the sum of good players who swapped their characters to MK?

Not only does it point out that a lot of good players dropped their characters for the best one in the game, but when you consider WHY each player made the change to MK, well... yeah, it's really counter-intuitive to your argument.
It was a counter-argument to the point that good players are good because they play MK.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Oh okay.

Just saying it was a risky move because it's kind of a point that helps both sides.

Because good players may be good even without MK's influence.
But you also have to consider why all of these players switched to MK...

Ghostbone

Smash Master
BPC just pointing out (since I really can't be bothered doing a massive reply >.>)
A character being extremely different from the rest of the cast isn't a good thing.

Just look at Masterhand in melee, he requires an extremely gimmicky playstyle, when playing him and when playing against him.

And the reason there isn't enough proof that more characters are viable without MK is because there isn't sufficient data from MK banned tournaments. (there haven't been enough and not of large enough size, and no real recent ones)
All I can say is tournaments with MK banned have been shown to attract more entrants than tournaments with MK legal.

Of course there could be factors outside of just "MK is gay not entering a tournament with him legal" but it's still interesting.

From what I know during the last MK ban discussion a temporary ban was turned down because of MLG, so what's the reason for turning it down now?

Top Bottom