• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are some bad habits with your main(s)?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Lucas: I chase with PKT2 too often. I go for usmash kills even when it's not safe. And I have yet to master the Zap Jump.

Olimar: I constantly go for offstage edgeguarding. Yeah...

Dedede: Not enough grabs.

In General: I tend to fall into patterns unless I consciously decide to mix it up.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Tip for those trying to get out of a bad habit.

Smash in general is like (pulling this statistic out of my *** here) 50% habit.
Habits are what make you predictable, and can cost you some games.
Just try something new, and better one match, and try to remember doing it every so often, soon enough it will happen without you noticing it.

An example is the airdodge to cancle momentum (which doesnt work).
Just try to use an aerial one game when you get sent flying, and you'll soon be living to higher %'s

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
Snake - Off stage aerial out of cypher
MK - Shuttle Loop suicide

Shadia

Smash Cadet
zelda - I fw into people to much, makes me predictable. also don't Dtilt as much as I should.
zss - I use my Fsmash.. even though I know how laggy it is.

H3RO

Smash Rookie
Whenever I Do The Forward Spike With Donkey Kong. Like When The Person Tries To Get Back On Stage. I Tend To Double-Jump When I Leave The Stage To Spike The Opponent Down...I Tend To Kill Myself When I Dont Have That Second Jump...Whats Worse Is When The Move Doesnt Connect And I End Up Killing Myself =/

Smash Master
I never use C-Stick.

I randomly charge f-smash too often. I don't get punished often enough, so it's hard to break.

thekingsdinner666

Smash Apprentice
:fox:: I use my F-Air attack when I don't jump high enough, leading to a 1 second ground stall.
:toonlink:: I use Z-Air to Neutral Air and Down Grab to B-Air, B-Air, U-Air combos to much.
:squirtle:: I use Phony F-Air to B-Airs too much.
:falco:: I do too many boring mind games.
:ike:: I use Forward Grab to Neutral Air too much.
Link: I can compare his moveset to Fox's. Not a good habit.
Zelda: I use a soft spike by accident too much.

Yaw. xD

brinboy789

Smash Champion
MK: shuttle loop when on on the edge to get back onto stage. leaves me open :(

wario: bair spam. makes me predictable :(

jiggs: too much aerials. but that might be a good thing

falcon: always jabbing > grab when im close to opponent. too predictable :(

Nicole

Smash Champion
:gw: I don't play aggressively enough, which is terrible, because GW is a wall of priority and I should take better advantage of that.

:diddy: I'm terrible offstage, and I'm not entirely consistent about keeping a banana in hand at all times

:peach: I get punished too much when I pull up turnips, and I don't space Fair properly/use Fair too close to the ground and don't actually get the attack off

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
IC: Try and go for a grab to much.
Fox: Try To Shine Opponent Everytime They Go Off The Stage.
R.O.B: Too Aggressive, Need to be more campy... :D

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I main Wolf:

1) I roll too much
2) I can use alot of his combos effectively...but way too much. I'm predictable.
3) I'm notorious for self-destructing. Happens all the time at BASH (gaming club) XD

The Brigand

Smash Cadet
:ganondorf: - Suicide! Hooray for using Wizard Foot off stage when I wanted to Flame Choke! Hooray for Flame Choking under the stage when I wanted to Dark Dive!

:jigglypuff: - Trying to fight on the ground.

:toonlink: - Over-reliance on smash attacks.

migas140

Smash Rookie
Shiek-Screwing up my Vanish recoverys, using my smashes at the wrong time.
Toon Link-Not using enough bombs, using too much D-air (I use it on stage now, though. At the beginning I always tried to go for the spike and ended up killing myself.)
King Dedede-Not enough b-air.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
- don't use Counter enough time, so i tend to get myself beaten by my brother a few times when he at home
- rely too much on the edge guarding

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
:ness2:: Barely missing the ledge w/ PKT2... I swear that those angles work; not using PK Flash as an edgeguard.
:falcon:: Killing myself: b-side off the edge, b-side and miss the ledge for recovery, b-side in general. Also timing the knee.
:popo:: Getting separated from Nana; timing the alternating grabs wrong.
:link2:: Not playing as him for months at a time.
:dk2:: never charging B... EVER!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
My Lucario is Moses... Every time he fires an aura blast, the enemies part, and I somehow end up hitting my teammate who hadn't been in the line of fire when I shot it.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Ness - I don't use enough Yo-yo!!
Lucas - I try to grab a lot.... Bad thing for a laggy grab like his...
Kirby - I don't think I have any bad habits with him...
Luigi - I rely on jab grabbing/jab upB too much.

auroreon

Smash Ace
With Yoshi I spot dodge everything and tend to avoid using the shield when I probably should.
When Im trying to throw and egg I do my egg roll.
Sometimes when I've just been hit and Im in the tumble annimation, I'll not do anything and let myself tumble... at first it was to try and trick opponants... but then I got used to doing it.
I sometimes do the Pivot-Grab input too quickly so Yoshi rolls, or does a dash grab in the other direction.
Every now and then, I'll attempt a rising Dair onto the edge and just dair to my DOOM.
I don't space my Bairs appropriately sometimes and get shield-grabbed.
When I egg-lay the opponant I'll chase the egg to attack, and get hit in the break-out invincibility frames.

Zandr

Smash Rookie
Squirtle's throws get weaker when you abuse them? i didn't think throws had that effect.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
With peach i pluck turnips while im still in reach of my opponent. It's a bad habbit of mine. Right after almost every attack i pluck a turnip. I need to remember to be out of reach when i pluck them. Also i use fair and fsmash way too much with peach with means i can't kill with her when i need too. This is very evident when going against chars like dedede,snake,and r.o.b

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
I am the Dair spam king, even off the edge when I know I shouldn't but it is too **** fun.

Incarnati0n

Smash Rookie
I dash attack into people and get shield grabbed.
Yeah, me too. But nowadays I tend to mix these dashes up with running shieldgrabs. Seeing as sheik is a really fast runner and my friends don't have perfect timing, they have to decide: attack and have the chance to get hit by a dashattack, or block and have the chance to get grabbed. By adding some spotdodges into that strategy, I usually come out on top.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I dash attack into people and get shield grabbed.
Dedede definitely has issues there since his dash attack is quite slow.

Anyway, one bad habit that I tend to have is attacking shielded players instead of grabbing them. In the end, I end up getting grabbed instead. This is true especially against level 1 CPUs.

Yio

Smash Rookie
I often try to meteorsmash, and then miss because I fastfall, being unable to recover (fast enough). And a LOT of wrong throws with the blue and purple pikmin...

Top Bottom