• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What 5 characters take the most skill?

sasook

Smash Champion
Done. He does use the dash canceled up smash in them, amongst other ATs. YOU HAVE TO.
Yeah, this is true, but that's why I said "barely any," I didn't say "none at all." I've talked to him plenty of times before, and you can ask him yourself, I guarantee he'll say 80% of Link's ATs are for show.

Nicole

Smash Champion
1. Diddy
2. Pokemon Trainer
3. Jiggs
4. Zero Suit Samus
5. Ganondorf

Not in any particular order, just the ones that came to mind. Fox is another tough one to use.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
People saying Snake boggles the mind...

i mean seriously, ftilt/dthrow until 100% then utilt. how hard is that lol? and marth being difficult coz of spacing... gee its soooo hard to spam retreating f-airs into a dtilt upon landing.

Any character with a stupidly good, quick and safe damage dealing move with a lot of KO options can hardly be called skillful. i mean seriously, G&W is considered one of the easiest characters to be good with, how is he so different to snake/marth? space your high priority damage dealing attacks all game and then KO at the appropriate % with one of many ko attacks.

meh

btw peach gets my unbiased vote for having a high difficulty curve
On the topic of marth: If you notice, he relies on your opponent messing up, if you look at pure theory and paper matchups, on the higher tiers and higher levels of play, he wouldn't stand a chance if the other player is flawless. He capitalizes on mistakes, which requires a highly attuned observational viewpoint. Even retreating fairs can be punished. Spacing is not the reason he's so hard, it's observation, and that's something not everyone can do. Marth has a lot of options, but they have no margin for error.
Though peach imo is pretty hard too, especially the turnip, fair, combinations, but link has a nearly same game with bombs, except he has very glaring weaknesses (horrible recovery, anyone?)
Oh, and this is all opinionated, meaning it could apply as "What is harder for you?", or "What do you think might be harder for newer people?", and I don't consider anything that is dependent on a Tech like IC chains or Diddy bananas hard because once you master that, there's not much beyond that, whereas others have to memorize/learn ALL of the options against a scenario, like marth, because his are very articulate for punishing imo.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Yeah I actually was not gonna say snake, because you tech chase, nade cook, ftilt jab and utilt for kill. BUT I WANTED TO BE TRENDY.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
People saying Snake boggles the mind...

i mean seriously, ftilt/dthrow until 100% then utilt. how hard is that lol? and marth being difficult coz of spacing... gee its soooo hard to spam retreating f-airs into a dtilt upon landing.

Any character with a stupidly good, quick and safe damage dealing move with a lot of KO options can hardly be called skillful. i mean seriously, G&W is considered one of the easiest characters to be good with, how is he so different to snake/marth? space your high priority damage dealing attacks all game and then KO at the appropriate % with one of many ko attacks.

meh

btw peach gets my unbiased vote for having a high difficulty curve
Wow thank you .. you just basically took the words out of my mouth.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Meta Knight
Peach
Meta Knight
Ice Climbers
Meta Knight
Yoshi

And some other like Zelda, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, Meta Knight, Olimar, Meta Knight, Sheik and Meta knight..

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played Brawl yet :(, but I guess that Link's one of the 5. According to another member that I QFT (pseudo-quote), what I recall is that "as Link, you have to give 100% effort 100% of the time. You cannot let up at all!" Lol, I LOVED that quote :D. I'm also guessing Pokemon Trainer as well, since you need to master 2 additional fighting styles and know when to switch and when to stay in for a while longer.

I main Link in SSB64, and within the group of people I played competitively with, I was pretty good as Link, IMO. But to win, it took a whole lot of quick thinking, predicting, strategizing, etc. But Brawl isn't SSB64. So, while Link's gameplay is slightly similar, the Brawl scene is a whole new ballgame. So I honestly can't say for sure as of now...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I second the notion, if he had a picture of every char facepalming (especially Lolimar) then he would make this thread a legendary one.

~rh

Smash Lord
Lollimar is my choice. Not sure, but I think the effectiveness of some of his moves rely on the color of his pikmin that he has out.

Or something like that.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Tough to learn:
1. Captain Falcon (Took forever to get good with)
2. Olimar
3. Mario
4. Ganondorf
5. Peach or something

Characters everyone is good with:
1. Metaknight
2. Toon Link
3. G&W
4. Metaknight
5. Ike

DemonFart

Smash Lord
1):metaknight:
2):snake:
3):falco:
4):dedede:
5):gw:
those characters I just listed r way too hard to master.
:p
Dont flame me cuz I'm only kidding around LOL

:034:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
IMO

Sonic, IC, Pikachu, Metaknight, Sheik

(Yes, I said Metaknight. He does take a lot of skill to be played well.)

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Take to the skies

I am extremely biased against (smash) ground attacks and Specials. I base my list on the skill it takes them to do their air attacks effectively and quickly without prediction from your enemy. (Grabs also, minorly so.)
No particular order. Or is it?!?? :p

1. :falcon: :bee:
2. :marth:/:metaknight: (too hard to decide)
3. :lucario: (high shorthops mean; get close to Fair)
4. :zerosuitsamus::samus2:/:bowser2: (bowser a little harder though)
5. :ganondorf:/:sonic: (Ucgh, I guess I concede that sonic is harder to use with air attacks. =_=)

metaphysicist

Smash Cadet
Diddy is definitely up there, it takes skills to keep track of all those bananas and use them optimally without getting punished. That's in my experience at least. I see Olly coming up a couple times, and right now I consider him sort of my main and he comes pretty naturally to me. Back when I was last into Brawl he was way lower on the tier list though...

The_Prince

Smash Cadet
I'd say it would be, in no particular order
Ice Climbers
Diddy
Samus/Zamus
Yoshi
aaaaaaand.... (this is a hard one)
Sonic? I dunno. I've never really liked him enough to actually play with him.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I like hard to use characters, and I want to start using the 5 characters that take the most tech skill to use.

Heres what I was thinking;

1) Link

2) Peach

3) Diddy

4) Snake

5) Ness

What are your opinions on the characters that need the most skill to use well?
I like the OP's list. But I'd put Falcon in for Snake. Snake has a lot of advanced techniques, but anyone spamming tilts will do ok with him a lot of the time.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
In no particular order:

Zero suit samus: To use her to her full potential, you need to master the timing of her paralyzing moves, get used to her strange recovery, and use the right kill moves at the right time.

Wario: You need to figure out how to vary your approach (due to lack of range) and master his recovery.

Lucario: Maybe it's just me, but I think Lucario has a steep learning curve. You have to figure out what your capabilities when you have certain amounts of damage. That alone is annoying.

Pokemon Trainer: You have to learn three different characters. Self explanatory.

Snake: Yeah, it's easy to play him well, but to max his potential, you need to come up with lots of complex strategies for his special moves and get used to his C4 recovery.

Honorable Mention: Olimar, because managing pikmin can be a chore.

By the way, we're deciding who's hard to master, not who's terrible and is hard to use in general (*cough* Capt. Falcon *cough*)

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
In no particular order:

Zero suit samus: To use her to her full potential, you need to master the timing of her paralyzing moves, get used to her strange recovery, and use the right kill moves at the right time.

Wario: You need to figure out how to vary your approach (due to lack of range) and master his recovery.

Lucario: Maybe it's just me, but I think Lucario has a steep learning curve. You have to figure out what your capabilities when you have certain amounts of damage. That alone is annoying.

Pokemon Trainer: You have to learn three different characters. Self explanatory.

Snake: Yeah, it's easy to play him well, but to max his potential, you need to come up with lots of complex strategies for his special moves and get used to his C4 recovery.

Honorable Mention: Olimar, because managing pikmin can be a chore.

By the way, we're deciding who's hard to master, not who's terrible and is hard to use in general (*cough* Capt. Falcon *cough*)
I agree with everything but the end :) Falcon is hard to use in general, but he's not as bad as you'd think when you use him well. Look for Rebaz videos on YouTube if you want to see what I mean. His jab canceling can add a lot of damage to a grab.

Edit: here's a link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiaXTpB7b0w

Top Bottom