• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
More than that, if we don't get an announcement this month, it seems likely that there's not many characters left to announce in the inevitable November Direct, and there are a few characters we know are all but guaranteed to get in.

Last edited:
That date barely means anything regarding Skull Kid's possible reveal. Next week is just the anniversary for Majora's Mask release in the United States (Japan was in April and PAL is in November). I doubt Sakurai would perfectly plan a reveal just for that specific date. If that were the case then K. Rool would've been revealed in November since that was when Donkey Kong Country released worldwide.
Have we not established Little Mac was revealed for his anniversary? Also King K Rool's situation is different from Skull Kid... because he's already been revealed. If Skull Kid is truly in why would they just gloss over the anniversary? There's literally no reason.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Have we not established Little Mac was revealed for his anniversary? Also King K Rool's situation is different from Skull Kid... because he's already been revealed. If Skull Kid is truly in why would they just gloss over the anniversary? There's literally no reason.
Probably because it wouldn't coincide with their pre-release marketing scheme, which is very likely something that's planned as far back as before we even knew of this game's existence. Highlighting or showing something for its anniversary is just a little nod to a its origins, but it's never going to be the end all, be all, and we haven't even had a single newcomer reveal happen on an anniversary either, so I'm not sure why you think it's such a definitive thing.

With how late into October we're getting I'm also positive the next time we're getting any newcomer reveals, we'll get the entire roster revealed. They're not going to cram both a Direct and a single newcomer trailer into the span of less than 50 days, and in that scenario then the anniversary talk matters even less since Skull Kid won't be the only new guy on the block.

Probably because it wouldn't coincide with their pre-release marketing scheme, which is very likely something that's planned as far back as before we even knew of this game's existence. Highlighting or showing something for its anniversary is just a little nod to a its origins, but it's never going to be the end all, be all, and we haven't even had a single newcomer reveal happen on an anniversary either, so I'm not sure why you think it's such a definitive thing.

With how late into October we're getting I'm also positive the next time we're getting any newcomer reveals, we'll get the entire roster revealed. They're not going to cram both a Direct and a single newcomer trailer into the span of less than 50 days, and in that scenario then the anniversary talk matters even less since Skull Kid won't be the only new guy on the block.
So going from your argument Skull Kid probably isn't playable considering we only have time for a direct. We still have yet to see Incinoroar and the Square Enix character so where does Skull Kid fit in if we can't have a single reveal according to you? That's not even to mention the possible Microsoft representation.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Have we not established Little Mac was revealed for his anniversary?
His trailer was revealed on the 30th anniversary of Punch-Out's release in the United States. Punch-Out was created for the American audience in mind and is generally more well-known there than in Japan, hence why the NES version of Punch-Out was released in the U.S. first and starred American boxer Mike Tyson. Skull Kid does not have that distinct cultural difference in terms of his popularity (he's popular on both sides on the globe) so I doubt they care about the American release date of Majora's Mask.

Even when ignoring the above point, do we even know if Sakurai intended to reveal Little Mac on his anniversary? I doubt he knew the exact schedule of the Nintendo Directs that far in advance and it was probably just a coincidence.

Also King K Rool's situation is different from Skull Kid... because he's already been revealed. If Skull Kid is truly in why would they just gloss over the anniversary? There's literally no reason.
I know K. Rool is already revealed lol. My main point is that K. Rool being shown in August instead of November (as well as Simon being revealed in August instead of September) shows that they couldn't care less about anniversaries in terms of character reveals.

His trailer was revealed on the 30th anniversary of Punch-Out's release in the United States. Punch-Out was created for the American audience in mind and is generally more well-known there than in Japan, hence why the NES version of Punch-Out was released in the U.S. first and starred American boxer Mike Tyson. Skull Kid does not have that distinct cultural difference in terms of his popularity (he's popular on both sides on the globe) so I doubt they care about the American release date of Majora's Mask.

Even when ignoring the above point, do we even know if Sakurai intended to reveal Little Mac on his anniversary? I doubt he knew the exact schedule of the Nintendo Directs that far in advance and it was probably just a coincidence.

I know K. Rool is already revealed lol. My main point is that K. Rool being shown in August instead of November (as well as Simon being revealed in August instead of September) shows that they couldn't care less about anniversaries in terms of character reveals.
Your assuming the anniversary argument needs to apply to EVERY character. It doesn't, in fact it would be messy. Isabelle was revealed in September to advertise the Animal Crossing game and King K Rool was revealed early because he is the most requested character and Sakurai likes to start with his bigger reveals.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So going from your argument Skull Kid probably isn't playable considering we only have time for a direct. We still have yet to see Incinoroar and the Square Enix character so where does Skull Kid fit in if we can't have a single reveal according to you? That's not even to mention the possible Microsoft representation.
That's another matter entirely, but I more so just wanted to point out that there was very little logic in your argument, anniversaries simply don't make or break anything. Personally I just hope he's in, I'm not going to pretend that I find him super likely (and I never thought he was a lock at all, at my most optimistic I gave him a 50/50 chance), but I don't think his chances are dead in the water either, it's not really necessary to take a hard stance on whether you think he's in or not. I'm just going to wait and see, whatever happens happens.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Did you guys hear CoroCoro

They've gone back on their 108 stages.

I don't want to start another argument, but if this is true, it eliminates a lot of Skull Kids competition and is a potential strike against Verg

NineS

Smash Lord

I don't want to start another argument, but if this is true, it eliminates a lot of Skull Kids competition and is a potential strike against Verg
The fact they never clarified that it was a typo makes me skeptical that we actually have 103 stages.

I think it's more of 103 stages currently confirmed to be known.
I mean, we saw the Stage Menu. There was clearly more stages to be shown than 103, whether or not it's actually 108 or 109.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

I mean it could be them just trying to cover for themselves. I do hope there are more stages though for that ugly blank space in the stage select screen.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
We could potentially get five more, based on 3DS and Wii U being arranged about the same way with one spot left open for a DLC button, and previous Smash games (except Melee, as its stage roster was designed differently) also being arranged similarly with their stage rosters being filled up.

Of course, this could be the Smash game where we have a wide blank space, and no more stages until DLC.

Last edited:

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
I highly doubt it but more stages could mean a possibility for a clock tower stage

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I will just repeat what I already said on the Isaac thread…

Melee's stage roster was way too irregular design-wise, but from then on (and even N64 before Melee), Brawl and Smash Wii U / 3Ds had completely full and symmetric stage rosters, specifically base rosters.
New Project(1).jpg

This time, Ultimate has a perfect square roster, meaning less liberty of design, so you gotta fill it entirely or leave similar gaps to each side of the final row, which they didn't, they just left almost half of the final row empty.
super-smash-bros-ultimate-stages(1).jpg
The demo builds of the game have the entire stage roster filled from corner to corner, even when they have less stages on them. Even back then we saw a fully filed stage roster:
fywixe0cnl311.png

Conclusion: if the stage roster was 103 and done, then they would've shown us the stages resized in a way that it would fill the entire roster corner to corner. It doesn't take two brains to do this in design area and they are definitely not killing a menu's design for lazyness on resizing things, if you think they are then you're simply delusional and in denial of us getting more stages to fill the rest of the gap, and whoever says "they have weird menus before" is just as a bad excuse or comeback. It's not precedented in any of the Smash games and Melee doesn't count because the roster design of that game is truly the only one that makes no sense, every other one does whether it's a perfect square or not and they are symmetrical. And to make things even worse (or better), all stages are gonna be available on the go this time if I'm not mistaken.
Therefore that gap we saw last time totally suggest and implies more stages we haven't seen. Typo or not, 108 just makes perfect sense and it's gonna happen, period (at least for base, if there are more in the future with DLC you can expect the usual next page to be added, as they won't downsize the stages any further otherwise that would be impossible to stare at on small screen.) The only way anyone can make me think otherwise on this is if they show me 103 stage roster filling the entire thing as it is supposed to, but if they didn't already it's because there is clearly more to be seen at this point still.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I will just repeat what I already said on the Isaac thread…

Melee's stage roster was way too irregular design-wise, but from then on (and even N64 before Melee), Brawl and Smash Wii U / 3Ds had completely full and symmetric stage rosters, specifically base rosters.
View attachment 170944
This time, Ultimate has a perfect square roster, meaning less liberty of design, so you gotta fill it entirely or leave similar gaps to each side of the final row, which they didn't, they just left almost half of the final row empty.
View attachment 170945The demo builds of the game have the entire stage roster filled from corner to corner, even when they have less stages on them. Even back then we saw a fully filed stage roster:
View attachment 170946

Conclusion: if the stage roster was 103 and done, then they would've shown us the stages resized in a way that it would fill the entire roster corner to corner. It doesn't take two brains to do this in design area and they are definitely not killing a menu's design for lazyness on resizing things, if you think they are then you're simply delusional and in denial of us getting more stages to fill the rest of the gap, and whoever says "they have weird menus before" is just as a bad excuse or comeback. It's not precedented in any of the Smash games and Melee doesn't count because the roster design of that game is truly the only one that makes no sense, every other one does whether it's a perfect square or not and they are symmetrical. And to make things even worse (or better), all stages are gonna be available on the go this time if I'm not mistaken.
Therefore that gap we saw last time totally suggest and implies more stages we haven't seen. Typo or not, 108 just makes perfect sense and it's gonna happen, period (at least for base, if there are more in the future with DLC you can expect the usual next page to be added, as they won't downsize the stages any further otherwise that would be impossible to stare at on small screen.) The only way anyone can make me think otherwise on this is if they show me 103 stage roster filling the entire thing as it is supposed to, but if they didn't already it's because there is clearly more to be seen at this point still.
A think the thing that I just love about having five more stages is that it gives a single free space for the DLC stages tab to fit nice and snug in. It's just so aesthetically pleasing. To quote the lord, "It just works."

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Look, the way I see it, it's just programmed like the 3DS version, 3DS version doesn't centre itself as you unlock stages, it even had a blank spot before DLC. And it was worse when you didn't have the full roster.

The way I see it, they put in a program where it would organise itself (like with Smash Wii U css) automatically as you put in more stages and this was the result. I don't think there will be a dlc button, or if there is it will take up the whole space (like they did in the 3DS css). But I predict once the row is complete, they'll just add another row this time. I just find going from a select screen with 108 stages to one with 2 to be ridiculous (more ridiculous than the blank spaces imo). Also they need to have room for the training stage when they add it.

Point is, blank spaces guarantee nothing, people thought the same thing when the oddly organised 3DS CSS leaked.

I'm a bit tired of arguing the same thing over and over though, just don't act like more stages are guaranteed, nothing is guaranteed. Even Skull Kid who I'm most confident in (except Ken) I don't think is guaranteed

NineS

Smash Lord
Look, the way I see it, it's just programmed like the 3DS version, 3DS version doesn't centre itself as you unlock stages, it even had a blank spot before DLC. And it was worse when you didn't have the full roster.

The way I see it, they put in a program where it would organise itself (like with Smash Wii U css) automatically as you put in more stages and this was the result. I don't think there will be a dlc button, or if there is it will take up the whole space (like they did in the 3DS css). But I predict once the row is complete, they'll just add another row this time. I just find going from a select screen with 108 stages to one with 2 to be ridiculous (more ridiculous than the blank spaces imo). Also they need to have room for the training stage when they add it.

Point is, blank spaces guarantee nothing, people thought the same thing when the oddly organised 3DS CSS leaked.

I'm a bit tired of arguing the same thing over and over though, just don't act like more stages are guaranteed, nothing is guaranteed. Even Skull Kid who I'm most confident in (except Ken) I don't think is guaranteed
To be fair, I would agree with you on the blank spaces thing, if the blank spaces on the stage list was more like this:

Instead of this:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
To be fair, I would agree with you on the blank spaces thing, if the blank spaces on the stage list was more like this:

Instead of this:
As I said, it's just following a style more similar to the 3DS version. Which if had the same amount stages would look very similar to how it is. But anyway it's not really that important

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

Instead of this:
If this is the full stage list and they thought that empty void looked good, they're just wrong. There has to be more. But to be fair, Nintendo is pretty stupid so I wouldn't put it above them to do something like that.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
That's why I said in my large explanation if they wanted to leave gaps with a full revealed stage roster because of the amount, they would've centered the final row, easily. Just like they do with the fighter roster. Both rosters are always centered and / or symmetrical. We're gonna see pretty soon.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This is tense, we're so close now, so many rumours are floating around. Some say we have two directs in November, others are saying we'll know everything before that upcoming Japanese tournaments. It is the season of spooks and Halloween draws nearer.

We only have a little more waiting left

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Really? Two Directs for the same game in the same month? Seriously?
After the drought, comes the flood... pretty interesting story. Now, whose bright idea was it to get Groudon and Kyogre at each other's throats again?!?

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
If SK is revealed how fast do you think he'll move? I'm guessing at below average walk speed but above average dash speed

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
If SK is revealed how fast do you think he'll move? I'm guessing at below average walk speed but above average dash speed
It depends on how he moves for me. If he actually walks, then I think a speed similar to Toon Link or Ness. Speedy little thing. But if he floats around, then I assume something more like Mewtwo, probably a little faster.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm sticking to my bet of last week of October which includes the first days of November + the weekend is the start of the Japan smash events. I think it's super possible to see a direct on that week's wednesday (halloween lol who would've thought of such a coincidence) or thursday (Nov 1st) and they probably even show the final design of that stupid special edition box lol since that's gonna be available the day after (Nov 2nd). I would be gladly surprised if it's this next week but i think the last week of the month that has the first days of November is the most making sense chance.

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
Well it looks like it's going to shape up into one more direct with the rest of the the characters revealed at once to me

NineS

Smash Lord
So, seeing as we're quickly approaching the end of October, and potentially the dawn of the final day,

what are people's thoughts on Skull Kid now, taking into account what we know, how much time is left, and the possible other characters, along with Sakurai's statement on slowing down?

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
So, seeing as we're quickly approaching the end of October, and potentially the dawn of the final day,

what are people's thoughts on Skull Kid now, taking into account what we know, how much time is left, and the possible other characters, along with Sakurai's statement on slowing down?
If he isn't in base, and isn't deconfirmed, he makes for a great DLC character. Popular enough to make good sales. I'm still holding out for him to be in at base, but DLC is sounding pretty nice right now.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman

Not as confident as I once was in his chances, however I refuse to give up hope untill the very end, he still has a lot of things going for him, so it's hard to give up on him with that in mind.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman

I'm still just as confident he'll get in. It's just a matter of when he'll be announced.

(If it's not before the 26th oh well, I've found at least enough Skull Kid videos to not repeat a whole bunch of stuff over and over in my Skull Kid tribute video)

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I would say I'm pretty much where I've always been, which is "he has a chance, but not an amazing one." The link in my signature shows my predictions based on how many characters we actually have remaining along with detailed reasoning; the gist of it is I think Incineroar, Square Enix character (probably Geno), and Ken are locks, and if we're lucky enough to get more than that, then Shadow, Skull Kid, and Isaac are my next most likely characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here are my predictions for the remaining roster in the base game:

69: Incineroar
70: Tails
71: Skull Kid or Shantae
72: Geno
73: Banjo-Kazooie

36e: Dixie Kong
38e: Shadow
54e: Medusa
60e: Ken

cybersai

Smash Ace
Remove Tails and that seems sort of realistic, although I also don't think Banjo will happen on the base roster.

I still think we're only getting 3 more newcomers, and maybe 2-3 echoes if we're lucky.

Top Bottom