• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
How does Young Link’s FS being Fierce Deity help Skull Kid?
Because that could be used in a Skull Kid reveal trailer. Ridley's reveal trailer had Samus face off against him, as did K. Rool's with DK. And Simon's reveal against Dracula, for that matter. All of these had characters face off against their foes. A Skull Kid reveal trailer could have Skull Kid face off against Young Link, and Young Link could transform into the Fierce Deity near the end of the trailer as he fights a Majora-powered Skull Kid.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Because that could be used in a Skull Kid reveal trailer. Ridley's reveal trailer had Samus face off against him, as did K. Rool's with DK. And Simon's reveal against Dracula, for that matter. All of these had characters face off against their foes. A Skull Kid reveal trailer could have Skull Kid face off against Young Link, and Young Link could transform into the Fierce Deity near the end of the trailer as he fights a Majora-powered Skull Kid.
Or it could just be revealed down the line.

It’s not like Chrom where revealing the new Final Smash would show him missing, we could literally have footage shown to us tomorrow of Young Link’s FS being Fierce Deity and that wouldn’t mean anything.

In that respect, the Moon AT is much more telling, since that’s a place where you would expect to find Skull Kid.

cybersai

Smash Ace
The wait for any info on Skull Kid has been unbearable. If he really isn't playable, Sakurai should have de-confirmed him right away, instead of letting speculation go on for months and months. He knew very well the Moon assist alone would raise eyebrows.

Really hoping this isn't another Ridley in Smash U type of misfire.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
The wait for any info on Skull Kid has been unbearable. If he really isn't playable, Sakurai should have de-confirmed him right away, instead of letting speculation go on for months and months. He knew very well the Moon assist alone would raise eyebrows.

What happened with that? I never got Smash 4 (or a Wii U) so I didn't follow it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What happened with that? I never got Smash 4 (or a Wii U) so I didn't follow it.
During a Direct, after a section on bosses, a shadow (heavily reminiscent of Ridley) was shown on Pyrosphere (Metroid Other M stage), with the caption ‘other bosses might appear’. I don’t know why, but in a Waluigi-esque turn people took that as a tease for Ridley as a playable character.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
During a Direct, after a section on bosses, a shadow (heavily reminiscent of Ridley) was shown on Pyrosphere (Metroid Other M stage), with the caption ‘other bosses might appear’. I don’t know why, but in a Waluigi-esque turn people took that as a tease for Ridley as a playable character.
I can kind of understand that. But hey, at least we have Ridley now! :)

At least Skull Kid has other points going for him. At this point I'd honestly be surprised if he's not in.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
There's a big difference between Ridley and Skull Kid

Ridley was flat out teased as a boss, we saw his presence and we knew he was in the game and that he was likely a boss.

Skull Kid is the opposite, we haven't seen him at all, he's mysteriously absent when that are times we could see him. He's not seen bringing down the moon, the moon has seemingly replaced him entirely. Things relating to Skull Kid just seem to be suspiciously missing, like Young Link, why haven't we seen his Final Smash? Fierce Deity is such an obvious choice but no mention at all, like they're saving it for something.

I just find it hard to believe Skull Kid is completely absent, after his presence in the last game.

And I find the idea of him as a boss as preposterous, it just makes no sense to me, he's not a boss, he's never had a boss fight, and the Zelda series isn't exactly lacking in actual bosses. And Skull Kid over the mask is just dumb.

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice

although granted sakurai discovered wavedashing in melee but didn't think it was a big deal.

Love the man, but he may underestimate some stuff

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I know it would be very unlikely, but looking at your avatar made me think about Earthworm Jim and how he would be a awesome character for Smash. Perhaps he would have a good shot for DLC after Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, and Spyro make it in.
I wanted to respond to this at the risk of being horribly off-topic; Earthworm Jim in SSB seems even less likely to me than other impossible choices I'd support, like Amaterasu, Travis Touchdown, Fierce Deity Link, etc.

Jim is so obscure these days that it kind of blows my mind. I used to have schoolyard conversations with my friends about him and he was pretty recognized even if they never played his game. But seeing him in SSB (never gonna happen) would be simply touching. Jim sits blanketed under the deepest layer of my nostalgia and I'm one of those fools who feels like they need to make sure the character never dies, so he's staying as my avatar possibly forever.

Earthworm Jim's quirky and dark style also influenced my taste in games, probably creating a preset for my love of MM. I just remember thinking Jim's games were so funny, yet sometimes grotesque and scary (and sometimes made deep statements about tropes and humanity). Majora also makes me feel this way. So you could say that Earthworm Jim prepared me for Majora's Mask.

MM is still my all time favorite game, but Jim hit me when I was a blank slate and I'll never forget that.

Also, if anybody here hasn't played Psychonauts I would highly suggest it as it's another dark and kooky game bordering on abstract/surreal.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It's funny that the last three songs we've gotten have been repeats from series we've already gotten songs for. (Side note, tonight's SotN remix is ****ing fantastic.) And we still haven't gotten a second Zelda song! I'm holding out hope that that's a good sign.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
It's funny that the last three songs we've gotten have been repeats from series we've already gotten songs for. (Side note, tonight's SotN remix is ****ing fantastic.) And we still haven't gotten a second Zelda song! I'm holding out hope that that's a good sign.
I saw someone on GameFaqs dub it "Reverse Music Theory". Fingers crossed that this is more good news for Skull Kid's reveal to be soon!

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

So what are your guys thoughts on this banner leak that has been going around?

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman

So what are your guys thoughts on this banner leak that has been going around?
I'm not 100% sure of what to think about it.... real or not it's just huge as hell.

My boi Isaac is in and B&K too..............but I REALLY want skull kid....
If it's true, I would wait until DLC just in case.

Smash Apprentice
There's a new leak going around (apparently a French guy posted the full banner to snapchat) that has SO MANY fan requested characters, and Skull Kid is nowhere to be seen... I'm super conflicted because it has a lot of characters I want (Mach Rider, Banjo, Geno, Isaac) but Skull Kid is nowhere to be seen... hell, there's not even a new Zelda character (Echo or otherwise...)

As the post above me says, it's looking rather credible. However, there is ONE huge thing preventing me from thinking this is 100% real. No Incineroar, or new Pokémon rep at all. That's highly unlikely, considering Vergeben's credibility and the fact that the Pokémon Company has made sure there's always a new Pokémon rep every Smash. It's the only series to get a new character every installment

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
If it's real I'd be incredibly disappointed. Putting in Chorus Kids over Skull Kid?!That makes no sense! Skull Kid has a history with Nintendo, he's a notable antagonist, he's not an Assist anymore that we've seen... while Chorus Kids are just... there and weird.

I'm calling it fake.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Regardless if it's true or not this is definitely one of the more believable leaks in all of Ultimate's speculation run. The lack of Skull Kid hurts if it's true but for what it's worth I think he is prime DLC material if he is not in the base game.

As the post above me says, it's looking rather credible. However, there is ONE huge thing preventing me from thinking this is 100% real. No Incineroar, or new Pokémon rep at all. That's highly unlikely, considering Vergeben's credibility and the fact that the Pokémon Company has made sure there's always a new Pokémon rep every Smash. It's the only series to get a new character every installment
The thing that makes me iffy on it is Banjo. He's very popular and I would love him in Smash, but it just seems too good to be true for him to be in the base game. That said I'm about 70% sure this leak is real.

If it's real I'd be incredibly disappointed. Putting in Chorus Kids over Skull Kid?!That makes no sense! Skull Kid has a history with Nintendo, he's a notable antagonist, he's not an Assist anymore that we've seen... while Chorus Kids are just... there and weird.

I'm calling it fake.
Rhythm Heaven is very popular and the Chorus Kids were planned for SSB4. With Chrom being added to Ultimate they're also the only characters from the Gematsu leak not playable yet.

Smash Apprentice

I'm calling it fake.
You know they were planned for Smash 4 but cut, right? Also, they'd rep an entirely new series that's pretty popular in Japan, Rhythm Heaven. Your fanboy is showing.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
You know they were planned for Smash 4 but cut, right? Also, they'd rep an entirely new series that's pretty popular in Japan, Rhythm Heaven. Your fanboy is showing.
Oh, okay.

For the record, I never owned a Wii U and thus never followed Smash 4. If the Chorus Kids were considered for Smash 4 I guess that makes sense.

As for your last point, yeah I'm a Skull Kid fangirl, he's my favorite Zelda character and he seems to have a lot going for him. Of course I want him to be in Smash.

Then again we got Ridley who's cool and I got my main most wanted the first time I saw Smash (Mewtwo) so I can't complain too much.

Plus there's always DLC or next Smash game.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
A) it's so blurry that you can't tell either way if it's real or fake, but it could definitely be fake, the banner is exactly what I think someone would go after for a fake leak

B) even if it's real, there's always DLC, there wouldn't be many other first party characters left more popular than Skull Kid, it'd pretty much be Dixie, Skull and Bandana Dee, and I guess newer characters like Spring Man and Rex

We'll rally harder than ever before! Get the word out! Try and bring in supporters from those who just got their characters, make him the next BIG character!!!!

Smash Apprentice
I will say this: the fact that no other Zelda character or Echo is in this leak is a silver lining, because this pretty much confirms that nobody is a more popular Zelda rep than Skull Kid and he'd almost certainly be the first new Zelda rep added. The leak mentioned that Tabuu, Crazy Hand, Necrozma, Spirit Hand(?!) are bosses, but not Skull Kid/Majora. Don't give up sending your energy to Skull Kid yet, if he's not a boss he's almost garunteed for DLC.

If that's true, I don't think I'd ever play another game again.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A) it's so blurry that you can't tell either way if it's real or fake, but it could definitely be fake, the banner is exactly what I think someone would go after for a fake leak

B) even if it's real, there's always DLC, there wouldn't be many other first party characters left more popular than Skull Kid, it'd pretty much be Dixie, Skull and Bandana Dee, and I guess newer characters like Spring Man and Rex

We'll rally harder than ever before! Get the word out! Try and bring in supporters from those who just got their characters, make him the next BIG character!!!!
If Skull Kid is not in the base roster, he will definitely be DLC because we are going to make him the next Ridley if nether is the case.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Kinda annoys me we're still not getting another Zelda character but they took the effort to add a 9th Mario character who is so....... No, you know who I'm talking about. I won't bother ranting about it

But this is just criminal, we didn't even get an echo? Yeah the redesigns are nice but it's definitely not enough. We want our new character! Zelda deserves way better than this!

And while I'm at it, so does Kirby

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Kinda annoys me we're still not getting another Zelda character but they took the effort to add a 9th Mario character who is so....... No, you know who I'm talking about. I won't bother ranting about it

But this is just criminal, we didn't even get an echo? Yeah the redesigns are nice but it's definitely not enough. We want our new character! Zelda deserves way better than this!

I'm respecting your opinion, but the Geno fans definitely deserve him for how hard and long they have fought for his inclusion. They have been waiting in the lobby as long as Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, and Skull Kid's fanbases.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I'd be content if we got Skull Kid and Geno.

EDIT: And Isaac and Shadow. If those four were the last I'd be cool with it.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm respecting your opinion, but the Geno fans definitely deserve him for how hard and long they have fought for his inclusion. They have been waiting in the lobby as long as Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, and Skull Kid's fanbases.
I avoided talking about him for a reason, so I respectfully ask not to bring him up around me. Because in my eyes, a character should have more than popularity to be in Smash.

But at least in the future there will be no excuse what so ever to exclude Skull Kid

_sneaK

Smash Apprentice
My confusion with geno is he's this one side character from a crossover game from 20 years ago and yet he has this unnatural popularity.

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
If Skull Kid isn't in somehow, we can still hope for DLC.

I'll honestly be surprised if the leak is real and there's no Skull Kid (though on the bright side I'll be happy we got Shadow). If Skull Kid wasn't going to be in why not just have him call down the Moon, like him appearing in the background?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
The banner could really be one way or the other, but the lack of a Pokémon rep seems very strange to me personally. Needless to say, between that and the "classic blurriness means it's real!" phenomenon that has taken over Smash U leaks, I'm taking it with a few shakes of salt, and would still do so even if Skull Kid were on that banner somewhere.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
My confusion with geno is he's this one side character from a crossover game from 20 years ago and yet he has this unnatural popularity.
It's like most of characters with huge fanbase, it's due nostalgia (I'm saying this in a positive way). Skull Kid is a character from almost 20 years ago too, but it's true his role was more relevant than Geno in his game.

I think every "old/retro" character that has a huge fanbase is because nostalgia, because what does that character means for each person.

I didn't play Super Mario RPG (I want to) so I don't know the appeal of this character but I full support him being in because how motivated the fanbase is, and if a lot of nice people (not toxic like Steve fans or some stupid meme character) wants him in, that would mean it would be for the better. If they're just trolls they wouldn't have been around here wanting him in for years.

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, Banner/Mural/Grinch leak might be fake after all.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77127187

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77127204

Apparently the character shadows aren't moved or in the right place.

In that case, there's still hope for Skull Kid. Honestly I'm hoping at least some of those characters in the Banner leak are actually in as well, Shadow's my 2nd most wanted, Isaac is cool, and I know how many people want Banjo and Geno.

Last edited:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman

In that case, there's still hope for Skull Kid. Honestly I'm hoping at least some of those characters in the Banner leak are actually in as well, Shadow's my 2nd most wanted, Isaac is cool, and I know how many people want Banjo and Geno.

I almost can't see anything in the picture by itself , less the shadows on it... I still seeing the image but I can't find anything. Someone bring back some pictures of the official banner and which each character added the shadows changed....

I'm not in the team "REAL" but the same way I can't think it's real due the bad quality, the same (or even more) I think the shadows here can't be taken as proof (not saying you're telling so)...

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman

Tell me about it, Zelda gets treated like a after thought at times, sure the redesigns are nice and all, but it has been 17 years since Zelda has gotten a unique newcomer.

Smash Apprentice

The shadows have already been inconsistent.
Compare the shadows of villager in those versions :

https://i.imgur.com/OxNtBti.jpg

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Interesting.

I think it's probably real. There's too much going for it, and last game's ESRB leak proves that you can try to explain away all sorts of supposed inconsistencies and still end up having the thing you're trying to disprove be real. It does contradict Vergeben though, which is interesting.

It's a shame that Zelda gets shafted once more, but not entirely surprising, and there's too many great, heavily requested characters on here for me to get too upset about Skull Kid being missing. I mean, a game with Ridley, Isaac, Geno, and Banjo as base newcomers? Are you nuts? Sakurai must be.

In the end, I would be disappointed not to see Skull Kid, but not too terribly surprised. And assuming he's not a boss, he's still completely eligible for DLC later on!

And now for my obligatory warning: treat this as real. Convince yourself that Skull Kid is not playable. That way, if he's not, the blow is softened, and if he is, it's a fantastic surprise.

Smash Apprentice
It's a shame that Zelda gets shafted once more, but not entirely surprising, and there's too many great, heavily requested characters on here for me to get too upset about Skull Kid being missing. I mean, a game with Ridley, Isaac, Geno, and Banjo as base newcomers? Are you nuts? Sakurai must be.

In the end, I would be disappointed not to see Skull Kid, but not too terribly surprised. And assuming he's not a boss, he's still completely eligible for DLC later on!
Let's be honest here: I don't think anyone in this thread doesn't have another character in this leak they're not super excited for. For me, that character is Banjo. (PLUS ISAAC, GENO, and MACH Rider as an added bonus!)

This is probably the best case scenario for me short of Skull Kid having been confirmed outright. At least the final character wasn't Steve, and we got more than 2 newcomers.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Let's be honest here: I don't think anyone in this thread doesn't have another character in this leak they're not super excited for. For me, that character is Banjo. (PLUS ISAAC, GENO, and MACH Rider as an added bonus!)

This is probably the best case scenario for me short of Skull Kid having been confirmed outright. At least the final character wasn't Steve, and we got more than 2 newcomers.
For me it's Shadow. He's been my 2nd most wanted since Ultimate was announced (was actually my 1st before I got back into MM), so I'm thrilled to see him though I was kind of expecting him. Plus already have Mewtwo so I really can't complain too much.

It still baffles me that if they aren't planning SK for base or DLC they didn't just have him be with the Moon Assist. But I'm pretty happy with what we've got whether that leak is real or fake.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
If this leak ends up being true, it'll also mean that Sakurai just set up his office like that for no reason, which is odd to me, because who the hell would want those hideous chairs in their office? :laugh:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
If this leak ends up being true, it'll also mean that Sakurai just set up his office like that for no reason, which is odd to me, because who the hell would want those hideous chairs in their office? :laugh:
That's what I was thinking too. I know that some people laugh at the Furniture Theory, but the one previous seemed to be rather DK-ish and then K. Rool was revealed. Whereas with the chairs/couch/plant thing I can only see that fitting Skull Kid or Shantae. Chorus Kids, Banjo, Geno, Ken, Mach Rider, and Shadow don't relate at all to it color-scheme-wise.

So if that room ended up meaning nothing than Sakurai had really odd decor choices.

Last edited:

Dr Bones

Smash Cadet
This would be a strong final roster. also if it is true 3 of the big 5 are on the roster and unless Sakurai either already made the DLC or just hates Zelda, skull kid should be first in line for DLC

Top Bottom