• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome new recruits

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Since there is a new group of people admitted (I think 12 new ones), I figured it would be nice to make a welcoming post.

The place is a little more informal than you would think, there aren't any strict guidelines for what should be posted where per se.

Post your contact info here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230295

Read and abide by what rules we do have: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226540

For the character subforum, do not create any new topics. Each character has their own thread. Post in whichever one you want to. Keeping character balance discussion here keeps things organized.

Keep an eye out for meetings, shanus normally makes new threads for each one. To get into the WBR IRC, go to gamesurge.net/chat/BrawlPlus
then type in
/join #wbr yatta

We've been sort of working on a tier list to know who we should work on, but the project keeps falling apart, especially since the game keeps changing. I'm going to give it another go pretty soon.

Everyone please try to be active back here. Short leaves of absences are understood, but it's not good to be a complete ghost. If you have a thought on something or some input, please provide!

Whenever you are in doubt about something in a topic about potentially making a new stage, feel free to reference my stage post (goodolganon certified lol)

In reply to leafgreen saying we should strive to make as many legal stages as possible:

NOOOOOOOOOOO

The reason being: by somehow creating so many different stages we end up with two problems:

Too many neutral stages: The Smash community has evolved to liking the stage strike system for the first match. Currently vBrawl is at 5 stages (or 9 according to the SBR), and most B+ lists are at 7. Those are ok numbers for remembering who strikes which stage (though 9 is starting to push it, and I don't want to visit the stage select screen everytime just to keep track, too much time) so with all of these new stages, Hyrule Temple, New Pork, all these Castle Siege transformations, Spear Pillar, you're adding TONS of neutrals. We can't do stage striking with like 17 stages. It's just not feasible. Not to mention it's boring since so many of the stages will end up being similar and people might argue with boundary problems that we have control over.

Banning Counterpicks Won't Make Sense Anymore: People have a ban in a tourney set to take out a level that hurts them the most or that they don't like. But with like 80,000 legal stages, even if the player bans a stage they don't like, there will be a greater chance that there will be another legal stage that is just like the stage they banned, making their ban worthless.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Not really much of a welcoming thread if only one of us welcomes them, is it? Let's fix that. Welcome guys. Please don't be appalled by the nature of our organization. I assure you, there is order in chaos.

shanus

Smash Hero
Yeah, and come in the IRC a lot. That's where the cool people go.

Veril

Frame Savant
One of the newbies

Thanks for the welcome :) Its an honor.

I can't thank you all enough for the work you've put into this project. I'm delighted to be a part of this whole endeavor. I hope that the testing I do, and all my random Jigglypuff knowledge, will add to the community here. <3

Right now I've gotten almost the entirety of my local scene to convert to B+. So like, around 20 people. Not a ton, but a good start. I'm looking into a venue close to me for hosting a B+ tourney. Work makes things go a little slower but, yeah, I've got big plans.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Hello everyone.

Is there some amazingly lost post describing how to work the Frame Speed Mod? The description...

makes no sense to me. o_o

Yes, I wanna experiment right away?!

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Hello everyone.

Is there some amazingly lost post describing how to work the Frame Speed Mod? The description...

makes no sense to me. o_o

Yes, I wanna experiment right away?!
IM me (leafgreen386) or get on the irc and I'll help ya get it. You too, veril. IRC is preferred, since then I only need to explain it once.

IRC is on www.gamesurge.net, channel is #wbr and the password is yatta.

edit: Just went over this with veril on aim, so I'll post this here.

leafgreen386 (11:29:31 PM): the frame speed is in the format of WWXXYYYY ZZZZZZZZ
leafgreen386 (11:29:36 PM): WW is the character ID
leafgreen386 (11:29:49 PM): XX is the first frame the frame change takes place on
leafgreen386 (11:30:53 PM): YYYY is the action or animation ID (action IDs use 0 for the first character and animation IDs use 8, so the action ID for a dtilt would be 0029)
leafgreen386 (11:31:11 PM): the Zs are the frame speed multiplier, in 32 bit hex floating point
leafgreen386 (11:31:20 PM): http://babbage.cs.qc.edu/IEEE-754/Decimal.html
leafgreen386 (11:31:31 PM): this is a great site for converting decimal to hex floating point
leafgreen386 (11:32:19 PM): a number greater than 1 will speed up the move, and a number less than 1 will slow it down
leafgreen386 (11:32:44 PM): so at 3x speed, it would cause it to perform a frame, skip two frames, perform a frame, skip two frames, and so on
leafgreen386 (11:32:56 PM): whereas at 0.5x speed it would cause every frame to repeat once
leafgreen386 (11:33:39 PM): messing with frame speed during hitbox frames can be a bit tricky
leafgreen386 (11:33:47 PM): since you risk skipping hitboxes
leafgreen386 (11:34:27 PM): now, a lot of times, you're only going to want to speed up or slow down a certain part of a move
leafgreen386 (11:34:49 PM): if you're only messing with endlag, then you will only need one line
leafgreen386 (11:35:08 PM): since the frame speed change goes on until the move finishes or a new frame speed change is loaded
leafgreen386 (11:35:35 PM): but if you want to edit something in the middle of the move
leafgreen386 (11:35:39 PM): you will need two or more lines
leafgreen386 (11:35:54 PM): one line for the frame speed change at where you want to edit, and then another to set it back to normal
leafgreen386 (11:36:31 PM): note that frame speed changes that occur LATER in the move will be placed ABOVE those that occur earlier in the code
leafgreen386 (11:37:21 PM): so if you wanted to decrease the startup lag for something, you would first put the line of code that sets it back to normal at whatever frame you want the speedup to stop applying and THEN you would place your actual modification below that
leafgreen386 (11:38:31 PM): you can have as many frame speed changes on a move as you would like, but you should note that right now we are limited to 127 total lines for frame speed changes
leafgreen386 (11:38:37 PM): and going over that would be... bad
leafgreen386 (11:38:48 PM): as then it starts spilling over into other codes
Veriloquy (11:39:01 PM): how many are being used so far?
leafgreen386 (11:39:13 PM): we're very close to the limit
leafgreen386 (11:39:45 PM): currently, we're waiting for almas to do his rewrite of the frame speed code to be far more memory efficient
leafgreen386 (11:39:51 PM): effectively giving us unlimited lines
leafgreen386 (11:40:11 PM): anyway, one last and very important thing for making frame speed changes
leafgreen386 (11:40:23 PM): in order for the game to actually read all of the changes, you need to edit the byte count
leafgreen386 (11:40:59 PM): the first line of the code reads 065A9400 0000XXXX
leafgreen386 (11:41:08 PM): the Xs are where you place the byte count for the code
leafgreen386 (11:41:39 PM): basically, just count up all of the lines EXCEPT the first line and multiply that number by 8
leafgreen386 (11:41:42 PM): then convert it to hex
leafgreen386 (11:41:49 PM): and that will be the byte count
leafgreen386 (11:43:34 PM): also, I'm not really sure if this step is necessary or not, but given the problems we've been having lately, you should also place a line that reads 00000000 00000000 at the very end of the code (don't count it in the byte count)
leafgreen386 (11:44:08 PM): when the code was first released, spunit said that a line of full 0s like that ends the code
leafgreen386 (11:44:56 PM): so it's something I try to follow when compiling codesets for myself, although the code seems to be working even without it, so... meh
leafgreen386 (11:45:04 PM): and that should completely cover it!
But new WBRers should still get on the irc as much as possible! It's where we get a lot of stuff done.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey guys. Glad to be back here.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Oh, for veril, viet, and anyone else who's already read my little tutorial about how to use the frame speed mod, there are two things I forgot to mention.

1) The frame the move starts on needs to be in hex. That means if you want the speedup to happen on frame 10 you would put 0A.

2) Smashes have multiple IDs. I'm currently investigating this to figure out exactly how the game handles it, but all we know so far as that there is an ID for the charge animation and two other IDs for the smash. From what we've seen so far, the last smash ID is always used for the hitbox frames, so the middle ID is probably pre-charge. Note that this means you can't just put whatever frame of the full animation you want the speedup to occur on and expect it to work, since with each animation change, the frame count starts over.

So this is what goes on in the backroom?

I like it here already...
Thanks for volunteering.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Is Cape sending me 18+ youtube content over AIM also a part of the initiation? He said it was a mistake but I think you're all mindgaming me.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
Hi Zach!!!

whats up im g-reg and i play jiggs sheik and some falcon.

ive been playing an older version of brawl plus for months, just recently got the newest version so you guys probably wont see me posting much until i can get more experience playing the game. i also havent placed well at the brawl plus tourneys ive participated in, so forget the g-reg you once new and accept the bottom-rung brawl plus noob (for now.) good to be back here and.......

play me online!!!!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Stop being so humble Greg, we won teams yesterday :p

And make your name gRAPE dammit!

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Welcome!

For gRAPE:

User CP -> Group Memberships -> "You may choose to be identified as a member of the following groups" -> choose WBR

Tah-dah, G-****-ulate.

Top Bottom