• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Match-up Discussion~ #1: Snake

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I'm not fantastic against snake but I think I have some insights. As always, take it with a grain of salt. Keep what you like, ignore what you don't.

Snake is such a pain in the ***. All I can say for sure is powershield and get grabs. Snake on the ground ***** you. Snake ruins tornados for the most part (a perfect one always ***** everyone, but those are hard). Snake also kinda ***** aerial approaches, though through mixups you can get them to work sometimes. So your only reliable popup tends to be grabs.

Jab dsmash seems to work alot, but it sends him pretty far, and thats no good for punishment. What you really really want to do is put him in a situation where he's teching on a platform. You can nearly always get a hit in this situation, and if you're lucky you can get two or three. Juggles are good too, becuause snakes seem to love that airdodge. Just watch your spacing and dont let him ffad out of your range.

Another thing, is that if you're super scared of the grenades, you lose. If you let a snake pressure you with grenades and put you where he wants you all you can do is cross your fingers extra hard. Just try and play them smart, but dont get punished for picking up a grenade, try and figure out what they like to do when you pick one up and react accordingly.

I have one trick that I like alot, and I'm sure it works. Snakes like to recovery REALLY high, luckily you're luigi and you can get REALLY high. What you want to do when they're going up up up is use your rising cyclone on jump1. This puts you at the top of the stage with an extra jump handy. This is a fantastic situation for putting snake into a position he doesn't feel comfortable. Maximize. If you're massively lucky, or super genius you can land an aerial shoryu up here for a like 30% kill. But, good luck with that. Just something to keep in mind.

Overall, snakes tilts just poop all over luigi in a ground battle. If you can predict and powershield them correctly you can gain an edge. But overall it seems to me to be clearly in snake's favor. 6040 or 6535. You MUST keep your thinking cap on for every second of the game, if you slip up or go autoweeg, you lose, no questions asked.

P.S. Though I love you all, I don't do these for you, I do them for me. It helps me to form a plan, when I can have everything I know written and reference-able. I hope it helps someone though. OS likes to tell me when you go into a fight don't just think "im gonna beat this guy", think "im gonna beat this guy, and this is how". Ally likes to **** my luigi, cruising in 2nd gear (though he's only done it once, im sure he enjoyed it).

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I don't know what the crap you guys are smoking, but if you take Snake to battlefield you're going to get ***** so hard you'll be out of the tournament scene for like.... 8 years.

Brinstar is a good one against Snake, granted sometimes its hard to see his projectiles there, but the bumpy ground prevents effective mortarslides. Also the platforms are spread out and high enough that he can't control the entire stage at once. Rainbow is pretty good as well, for the same reasons. Also it moves so he can't keep mines around so well. Good stuff.

Snake is still super annoying though. Another thing to note is that you can fastfall Nair through the mortar and and hit an edgeguarding snake. Granted they always have more than just a mortar out, but hey, anything is better than nothing.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Mushroomy Kingdom if you're playing Bbrawl
Otherwise, Luigi's good everywhere and Snake's great everywhere, so unless you really want to lose money and go FD it's really preference to me...
And RC will be banned lol, be it by the TO or the Snake :V

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
lol RC is legit

Anyways, I plan on doing MK next. Snake discussion is basically done. His match up has been done before so we have plenty of info.

After MK we'll take votes on which character we want to do next or whatever.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
It's gonna be Marth. No doubt.

We didn't get anybody from the Snake Boards to come in and drop their 2 cents.
I planned on doing Marth soon so that would work :)
I was even considering doing him next instead of MK, but I want to get MK over and done with =/

And no unfortunately. I posted twice in their boards with a link to this thread. I was basically ignored. But I dug up a Snake-Luigi match up discussion from awhile back. The info in there is still good.
I posted a link to it in the Snake section in the main match up thread.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
I planned on doing Marth soon so that would work :)
I was even considering doing him next instead of MK, but I want to get MK over and done with =/

And no unfortunately. I posted twice in their boards with a link to this thread. I was basically ignored. But I dug up a Snake-Luigi match up discussion from awhile back. The info in there is still good.
I posted a link to it in the Snake section in the main match up thread.
Their just jealous that Luigi's sexiness is greater then their Snake >_>

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I prefer deflino plaza all the way... wigitaunt spikes are SO legit if they're going below under the stage lmao.. and anything flat maybe.. only if your good in executing and punishing his ledge options flawlessly.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I think anything flat is maybe the dumbest thing you could do against snake. Platform pressure is your saving grace in this matchup.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Lets do someone fun, like Wario or Diddy? Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah
Oh **** thats actually an awesome idea.
We'll wait a bit until we do someone gay. Suggestions/votes!

I vote IC's :)
Or Wario is cool too

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Idk it's maybe my preference, cus l'll still combo the crap outta him either way :3. Just don't fall for platform mine traps (which l do all the time lmao, maybe why l prefer flat stages) and you'll be fine lol.

also if snake takes out a nade, and is holding it (not shielding) anything spaced (jab, ftilt, retreating aerial) won't set it off.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I still vote MK, it's the only matchup out there I can literally NOT win when I'm evenly skilled against my opponent. Yes, I sometimes at least beat Marths and Game and Watchs...

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Anymore suggestions for the next character?
=/

If not then we'll be doing Wario next

Pony

Smash Apprentice
I vote Wario, never played a good one, and wanna be prepared. :3

TreK

Is "that guy"
ICs, Wario, Diddy... all of them are fun, but I couldn't help much :p
I wouldn't like marth/mk/gaw because they're unwinnable and I go diddy vs them (get at me D=)

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
IC's and Wario are both good characters to do. I don't know who to pick xD
But I'll choose one of them. After that we'll do someone gay after, like Marth or MK, then we'll do the next fun character :)

Also, I can't update the main match up thread right now =/
Something is messed up and it won't let me edit it.
It's either my laptop, my internet connection, or this site. Or even a combination of those reasons.

Good news is the Snake section is basically complete, aside from the few things I wanted to finish up >__>

I'll start the new character discussion right away, so look out for the new thread :D

Oh and if you guys ever have some Snake info you want to add then just post it here. That's the beauty of having separate threads!

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Oh and if you guys ever have some Snake info you want to add then just post it here. That's the beauty of having separate threads!
That's for sure. Here's to us beating the crap out of many a snake, and then making them post here. Then we can help them in their Luigi matchup thread... because they don't have one.

SNAKE? SNAAAAAKKKKKEEEE!!!!!

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
That's for sure. Here's to us beating the crap out of many a snake, and then making them post here. Then we can help them in their Luigi matchup thread... because they don't have one.

SNAKE? SNAAAAAKKKKKEEEE!!!!!
xD
lmao

Also, It's down to either my laptop being ****ed up, or my internet connection. I hope it gets better by tomorrow. I can barely even post here right now :(

Hopefully I can even make a thread >__>

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Ah I almost forgot about the final match up ratio.

I'm tempted to say 57:43 Snakes favor, but do we really want to deal with numbers that specific?
I mean it's hard to decide if it's 55:45 or 60:40

But if I had to choose I'd put 55:45 Snakes favor, so I'll put that for now.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I'd call it 60:40. Snakes usually can keep my Luigi at bay, but Snake is so easy to combo and juggle, and gimp.

No doubt this is a really fun matchup, but I think Snake has an advantage.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
55:45 Snake.

At high levels of play, the better player is much more likely to win in this matchup. The false appearance of it being 60:40 stems from Snakes being able to use their "usual" tactics against Luigi while we have to drastically change our style for him, IMHO, meaning most of us are under-prepared.

EDIT: SamB, these are your matchup threads; have more confidence in your own logic and choose either 55:45 or 60:40. It's your authority here. We can argue about it after you choose.

crewster

Smash Lord
I think its more 50:50. Sure I dont beat snakes but i dont bea anything! If you play deffensivly with a lot of fireballs and sheilds you're fine. I find snakes easyer to play againstthan other characters.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Its an overall even matchup, but snake has more neutrals to exploit

55-45. you can't say 60-40 since Luigi has legitimate stages as well

Top Bottom