• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Match-up Discussion~ #1: Snake

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Snake

Well I figured I'd start this. Usually I'd start off by listing some pros and cons in the match up, and maybe some tips, but I have to leave for work right away.
I'll be adding some stuff later tonight when I get back.

Note that most of the updates will probably be done at night, when I'm not working xD

Anyways, let's get started here.

What do you guys think the match up here is?
I'd say 55:45 Snakes favor maybe. Luigi can definitely hold his own here, but he has to play almost flawlessly.
This is against good Snake players of course.

Here's a great way to discuss match ups if you want to use it. Mentioned by Teneban.
1) First thoughts
2) What followups after a jab do we have ?
3) Approaching
4) Defense & camping
5) Edge game
6) The KO stuff
7)Stage stuff

Summary in Progress:

The Snake Match-up can be a difficult one. But it's winnable. Snake easily outranges Luigi and easily out camps him. For this match up it's best to stay right outside of Snake's range. Too close to be effectively camped and too far to get bombarded by his tilts. Try and get inside when you see an opening.

Getting Snake in the air above Luigi is always a plus. He can be easily juggled and this can add a fair amount of damage. Just watch out for when Snake pulls out a granade in between attacks.

Snake has the overall advantage against us here. Here's a quote from elheber that I think accurately describes the Match-up ratio.

60:40 Snake if both players are very good players. But I think it's 55:45 Snake if both players are at the top of the metagame. There's no way Boss can win so much against the best Snakes using Luigi if it wasn't at least 55:45.

More to follow~

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I agree with the ratio, but Don't know how to really explain the matchup...He's comboable and Luigi's Nair eats through a few things, Snake's Uair can kill Luigi well due to his floatiness and Luigi's Up is pretty effective...I'm gonna leave this to the pro for now XD

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fireballs exlpode held grenades. (not that many Snakes hold on to them very long)

Just thought that was worth mentioning.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
No offense at all but like, since when did we agree in making a matchup thread? lol. dont recall considering most of us are either lazy, hate matchup guides >.>.

But just quick 2 cents, it's all about playing aggressive M2k status as in, aggressive and spacing flawlessly. Aggressive camping sometimes works depending on the snake. 55:45 snake, 6/4 snake

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
my bestfriend is a snake user and hes beat all my mains except luigi and i still wonder wat makes luigi stand out from mario against snake?

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
No offense at all but like, since when did we agree in making a matchup thread? lol. dont recall considering most of us are either lazy, hate matchup guides >.>.

But just quick 2 cents, it's all about playing aggressive M2k status as in, aggressive and spacing flawlessly. Aggressive camping sometimes works depending on the snake. 55:45 snake, 6/4 snake
ahaha well, I only briefly mentioned in the Q and A thread here. I noticed that the Luigi boards lack a complete match up thread and stage discussion thread.
A few people said they agreed and so I kinda just jumped into it :embarrass

Maybe I should've made a thread mentioning it so everyone would notice

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'll go ahead and be the one to say this is 65:35. Luigi has no chance.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
We talked about it in the Q&A thread, plus we talked about it in Luigi's Mansion, and we talked about it in the LGD (your own thread!). O_o

• DO NOT use Cyclones against nade spamming Snakes, unless you really need to.
  • Bait Snake's shield and eat away at it. I mean, make a barrage attacks just outside his grab range. You see... Snake will drop nades and sit on them, then wait for your attacks (like the Cyclone) hoping that you will make the nade explode on you while he shields. By reducing his shield and attacking just outside his dropped nade range (his grab range), you'll make that tactic work against him.
  • When you're above 90%, Snake WILL go for the uTilt KO. Absolutely. No doubt about it. When you're 90% or higher, try to stay outside of this range... and instead only go for him when he's in the air where you're chances are much better. This is another reason to use the "bait tactics" discussed above, since you are guaranteed to not get uTilted.

Fudge, man, "bait tactics" should now be defined as attacking outside of your own attacks' ranges. It turns out people automatically fall INTO this range as they come at you. Since Snake can't approach and uTilt at the same time, you're pretty safe using this on him.

Here's my video pick... which shows great examples of the above tips:
Boss (Luigi) vs. Ally (Snake) Friendly Set at Cat4 (sorry, no sound)

BAIT TACTICS FTW!

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I'd say it's probably 60:40 Snake. Without going into too much detail, Snake outranges Luigi quite easily, outcamps him, Snake's Bair goes through Luigi's recovery options pretty easily (mostly Side B and Tornado), Snake can nade out of 0% utilt combo, and it's easy for Snake to push a grounded Luigi away from him.

For the pros, Luigi can KO Snake like anyone else pretty early with fresh Fsmash or Up B. Fireball camping helps stop Snake's nade camping and approaching a little. You can probably Nair out of Snake's Nair maybe? Exploit Snake's recovery weakness by punishing his Up B onto the stage with a nice big Fsmash to the face.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Theres no way its anything but 60:40. Snake doesn't totally ****, but its definitely in his favor.

Ftilt beats a lot of your options, but it seems like its sort of easy to land Fsmash kills if you can read him. Snake is just such a stupid character, I'll john/help with the discussion more later.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
60:40 Snake if both players are very good players. But I think it's 55:45 Snake if both players are at the top of the metagame. There's no way Boss can win so much against the best Snakes using Luigi if it wasn't at least 55:45.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
This

Also, I contacted the Snake boards so hopefully they start posting here so that we can have some input from them.
I only mentioned it in there social thread, but I asked Susa if it would be alright to make a thread there, so that the snake players actually notice >__>

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Oh l didn't read Q/A and GD discussion no wonder lol.. and l still remember samusbrawler.. quite a change you've made lol...

l think candy beats boss in tourney more than boss beats candy in tourneys l think though.

go for m2k aggressive pressuring Snake to the edge, the little room snake has, is better for luigi, and snake's weak point is being on the edge, and luigi needs to punish that fully. When Luigi's in death range, play a defensive careful game, or hit and run game.

(and hopefully we'll ACTUALLY finish our matchups fully this time lol.)

polmex's post from Luigi Back Room, and hes planning to make snake guide.

*Snippit of my snake guide im making*
A couple things you should know about snake
A. You are out ranged on the ground, yet you will fight on the ground. Air = Fail (Unless snake is up there)
B. Nair and Nado beats mortars, not nades.
C. Snake is tall. His shield isn't.
D. Gernades. Live with it and you'll die. Avoid them and slowly you will be defeated. Control the user, and a naked Daisy awaits you back home (Pressure snake = Limit on nade options)
E. Off stage is a go ahead combat zone. Snake has almost no options against you.
F. Obviously, be mindful of the ****ing explosives.

the art to fighting Snake can be summed up by what happened to Mike Tyson in Tokyo, 1990.

Buster went in there with no fear, complete confidence, passion, and determination. He attacked the aggressor, intimidated the intimidator, and wasnt afraid to stay within Tysons reach.

Take Snakes first part of his F tilt an draw a line where it ends. That is where you will be at all times.

Stay on top of snake. Get inside an win the inside battles. Hover over him like the angry Italien you should be. Await your time. Force the opening. Punish fear.

Am I wrong? No. You lose the projectile battle. Only battle you can win is inside and aerial. Aerial becomes situational.

Go into the match no complaining about how snake gay is. Just go into like your going to beat down a wanna be bad *** that kills people with a High Split Kick...While you uppercut the **** outta lil nintendo icons an make them look like childs play. You have a slow green fireball used as an act of elegance while he goes into battle with High Tech gadgetry. What a ***. Fight with your hands. Thats where you win.

The jab cancels his jab an tilts. If you cancel once, PS the spam attempt than punish.
Nado is a realiable way to get in. Eat a nade if you have to. See the oppurtunities.
When you dont get hit by a Mortar Slide, punish is 100%. If to far away, nado.
If you slide with him, shield release to pivot run into whatever the situation calls for. An you can Up B the slide straight up after the dash part.
Hunt him down off stage.

Oh, if you PS the ftlilt first part an your to far away to OOS, crawl towards snake so your in his face to either ps or shield the second part than OOS or punish the defensive snake that doesnt finish the tilt

BigLøu

Smash Lord
my bestfriend is a snake user and hes beat all my mains except luigi and i still wonder wat makes luigi stand out from mario against snake?
Combo ability, kill potential. Luigi is just overall better then mario.
As for this matchup, it can't be worst then 6:4 snake. Snake defintly wins, but snake can die i nthis matchup really early if he messes up. Putting snake in the air in this matchup is crucial, sometimes if i grab snake I use upthrow just so i can put him in the air.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Oh l didn't read Q/A and GD discussion no wonder lol.. and l still remember samusbrawler.. quite a change you've made lol...

l think candy beats boss in tourney more than boss beats candy in tourneys l think though.

go for m2k aggressive pressuring Snake to the edge, the little room snake has, is better for luigi, and snake's weak point is being on the edge, and luigi needs to punish that fully. When Luigi's in death range, play a defensive careful game, or hit and run game.

(and hopefully we'll ACTUALLY finish our matchups fully this time lol.)

polmex's post from Luigi Back Room, and hes planning to make snake guide.
haha yeah, I'm sure most people don't know that DTP = Samusbrawler but oh well lol

And don't worry, we will finish this one, you can count on that. I went through the old Luigi threads and dug up 3 old match up threads LOL
All incomplete of course......

TreK

Is "that guy"
This match is cool, not in our favor but still cool lol
In tourneys I usually pick Luigi vs Snake (or Kirby, the snakirby hat is godlike <3), it's very winnable thanks to CPs
Oh and DTP, good matchup threads are usually good because of organization and stuff ; it motivates people : see fox board's format in example... omg a random idea just came up, I'll use their format for my post <3
we're here to learn and I'm unfortunately no exception, so feel free to correct everything I say, since I'll probably say a lot of stupid stuff :V

0) First thoughts
The usual strat vs Snake for everyone is "send him in the air and combo him", Luigi is no exception to this and have better tools to achieve it than most of the cast
He's an unkillable ****er tho.

1) What followups after a jab do we have ?
D-smash, D-tilt, F-tilt if close enough
jab 1 again or jab 2+3 if far away
+everything if he's stupid enough to DI up.
^just checked it in the sticky
That said, Jabs are hard to land on Snake because of his supergood tilt game, and his camping makes it hard to approach as well
Grabs are the most reliable followup imo, with dsmash for the kill and dtilt to set up stuff at 100%.
Grabs are even better considering Snake has a really hard time escaping dthrow followups without being damaged (thy fool, airdodging after being dthrowed, shall get shoryukenned)

2) Approaching
This is the funniest part, even if the hardest ._.
Snake's defensive game is really good because of shield dropped nades, the fact that he can pivot grab us out of everything except maybe the cyclone, and the fact that his tilts outrange our aerials (bair and nair vs utilt gets both of us damaged tho)
Aerial oos are usually a bad idea for the snake ; so landing behind him is often an okay solution ; just don't get predictable with it, as always
When he's pulling a nade and shields, the nade will be on the floor and will blow up if you aerial him ; but if he dropped it AND picked it up, it won't. This is a good situation ; because he will not be able to shieldgrab you. You may take 4% because tossing it oos is fast (3 frames for diddy, idk for snake), but it will not make you flinch so you can punish it with whatever (shoooryuuukeennn !!!). Just don't do it if the nade's cooked already, at best both of you will blow up and take 12%. You die early vs snake so you don't want that ; tornado trough or away, or shield. If he dropped it, you can tornado a small foot above the ground level and stall in that place; it will poke him trough his shield (snake's tall, his shield is a bubble ; do the maths lol), not detonate the nade, will not be shieldgrabable, and you may avoid the nade's explosion if placed perfectly.
Also, since vs Snake the stage is usually booming everywhere, you can shield the booms to slide toward snake in your shield. Whatever he does afterward will not stop you ; I've shoryukened a handful of snakes oos last week thanks to that, and if you jump oos afterward you get a huge aerial boost (if you think he's going to grab you). There are several tricks with this, test it and see what you can come up with, I found it out last Saturday so I'm no pro at it (yet ? ;D), it may have even more uses ._.

3) Defense & camping
Our defense sucks, why am I copying this one ? :V

4) Edge game
We both **** each other on the ledge, and can't really do anything to the other one offstage, which is weird lol. I usually try to keep my position and punish whatever he tries if ledgeguarding, and try to at least deal hits with him if ledgeguarded. Nair (even the sourspot) beats his usmash (both the mortar hit and the bomb it shots), and most if not all snakes will dacus to the ledge as soon as they ftilt you, so it's really one thing to know

5) The KO stuff
His ftilt will not kill us until 140-150% with decent DI because of Luigi's godlike momentum cancel <3, so most snakes will use the ftilt as a stalable punishing/zoning tool (which can still set us up for ledgeguards D=) and rely on their utilt for the kill which, while avoidable, isn't really punishable =/
It kills us between 90 and 110 depending on staleness, momentum cancels aren't as great for vertical hits =/
The unfun part is we get juggled pretty bad so setting it up isn't a problem for him
About KOing him, it's kinda hard too. On top of being hard to approach, he is SUUUPER heavy, almost unkillable to the sides. We can't rely on jab-shoryuken so unless we get/force a lucky opportunity our main killmove will be fsmash at 110-120, which gets predictable. He recovers high usually so there's little chance for us to edgeguard. We could go for the tornado star kill, but it's not likely to work. I have nothing really reliable for KOs, any tips ? =/

6)Stage stuff
My guess is Snake's strengths vs Luigi are camping and surviving, and his top weakness is his aerial game. With that in mind, I usually aim for an unleveled stage, which rewards the aerial game more and makes camping a bit harder to do flawlessly, killing 1 of the advantages he has on you and buffing an already existing weakness... Well, diminishing those advantages at least because Snake is still mister number two, so it's not like he's hopeless on any stage =/
Ban the opposite kind of stage ; Halberd and DF are top clients :V
Profit of the "can't pick a stage you already won on" rule to the max, you don't want to play twice on any neutral where snake owns everyone and their mom...

I don't understand ratios very well so I won't give out one
It is at least as hard as matchups that are labeled 40-60 sooo...

*This must be my longest post on swf this far... ****, fox boarders are madmen if they do this everytime ._.*

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I say 55:45 or 6:4 Snake's Favor. Snake isn't hard to combo and your air game is so much better than his. If they are campy, just catch a grenade. It's really not hard to do. Throw it back for an opening and combo. He is so heavy that comboing should be easy. Snake definitely has some advantage especially because Luigi's has very poor range and Snake's ftilt probably outranges everything Luigi has. Land your aerials behind him so he cant shield grab you. He is far from Luigi's hardest MU. The reason I don't immediately say 6:4 Snake is because Luigi has good kill power. You can kill him at relatively low percents (at least relatively low for Snake).

What can Luigi do against his tilts?

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
haha good stuff Teneban :)
No worries, I'll be more in depth and organized with my threads. I just wanted to get this one going to I made it quickly. I'm currently working on organizing The Main Match up thread and the stage discussion thread. I'm also gathering info for lots of other things. I'm just getting a head start on things while letting discussion take place here :)

I have Monday and Tuesday off work so I plan on getting a lot of work done then.
Great Format btw. I'll copy and paste it into the next character discussion OP :D

EDIT: Gotta go to work now...... :urg:

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Bait tactics. Bait tactics. BAIT TACTICS!

It works against MK too.

Snake is massively gimpable when he's off stage. Chase him 100% of the time. Use up all your jumps to chase him if you have to. Most of the time, you'll be refreshing his Cypher, allowing him to recover higher... but when he does, he is super vulnerable to a Rising Cyclone KO.

I like JJ against Snake.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i say its 67 pumkins out of 100.

Oh.. where not just throwing otu random numbers that don't actually effect anything? my bad -.-

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
i say its 67 pumkins out of 100.

Oh.. where not just throwing otu random numbers that don't actually effect anything? my bad -.-
The point of giving a 'random' number to a matchup is to give people a general idea as to how hard you think the match is. Its useful to know that luigi does better against olimar than he does against marth, unless you want to play luigi against every marth you see in tourny (which you don't go to so it doesn't matter anyway).

Most people add input as well. I don't see what the problem is.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Bait tactics. Bait tactics. BAIT TACTICS!

It works against MK too.

Snake is massively gimpable when he's off stage. Chase him 100% of the time. Use up all your jumps to chase him if you have to. Most of the time, you'll be refreshing his Cypher, allowing him to recover higher... but when he does, he is super vulnerable to a Rising Cyclone KO.

I like JJ against Snake.
Luigi gimping Snake ? Me needs replays, I must suck at it D=

AurosuunFlame

Smash Rookie
Luigi's Advantages

- Luigi's air game is superior. Luigi wants Snake in the air.
- Down grab and nair are staple launchers that will set up for good, quick damage against Snake.
- Being able to use two aerials allows for good shield pressuring.
- A projectile. The fireball.
- Shoryuken.

Luigi's Disadvantages

- Is not only out ranged, but traction makes punishing more difficult, especially when trying to punish very well spaced f-tilts and u-tilts.
- Fireball is easily powershielded.
- Cyclone can be stopped with nade shielding.
- Snake will want to kill with u-tilt, making momentum canceling less useful.

-----------------------------------------

Snake's Advantages

- Snake's ground game is superior. Snake wants Luigi on the ground to use his jabs, tilts, and d-throw chase game.
- Nade shielding helps to make approaching more difficult.
- Better camping.
- Heavy. He just doesn't like to die.
- Nades, up-smash and side+b give projectiles, while C4 and mines can help to limit Luigi.

Snake's Disadvantages

- Weight also means that he's more easily comboed.
- Doesn't have a lot of options in the air.
- Grenades can be caught/picked up and thrown back.

-----------------------------------------

|.On the Ground.|

Snake is going to want Luigi here to get in his powerful tilts. F-tilt can be used for zoning and damage purposes, as a fresh f-tilt on Luigi will do 20% if both hits connect. Both hits will NOT connect if Luigi is hit in the air, though, so short hopping around if the Snake is throwing f-tilts out will only get Luigi hit once. If Snake pulls out a grenade, do NOT approach with the Cyclone because it will cause it to explode, so either both characters take the damage or Luigi will take the damage through Snake nade shielding. Snake also has a really good pivot grab that he can use to start up a d-throw chase game. Don't get predictable with rolls or Snake will continue this until he wants to finish it off. Avoid rolling backwards too much, as Luigi will eat an unavoidable f-tilt if the Snake is aware of it. As for killing, Snake will want to kill with u-tilt, as it makes Luigi's momentum canceling nowhere near as effective as it would be if he were hit horizontally.

Luigi does not want to be on the ground, but when he is, he'll want to throw in jabs. Luigi can either finish into his AAA combo or he can jab ---> grab, down-smash. Down-smash can be used for damage purposes or if Snake is at an obscene percent, a kill move. With the element of surprise and some momentum, Luigi can go for a jab ---> shoryuken if possible. If Luigi gets the chance to kill Snake early, he needs to exploit it for all it's worth. Snake should not live longer than he has to. Up-angled f-smash will kill him at 110%. If Snake uses DACUS for approaching, punish it if the initial hit doesn't land. If a grab is landed, Luigi can juggle with up-tilt or shift into aerial combat, since his down-grab leads into combos, which goes to the next section.

|.In the Air.|

Luigi wants Snake in the air, where he is subject to being knocked around and comboed by Luigi's aerials. With a slow falling speed and a big short hop, Luigi can use two aerials in a single short hop, allowing for good shield pressure. Landing behind him can lead into a grab, which again brings him into the air for Luigi. Nair can be used to combo with it's low knockback or as a kill move at 136%. SH Fireball can help prevent Snake from camping as much and aids in approaching. Uair is an awesome juggling tool against Snake. Fair can combo into itself. SHBair or RAR Bair is an approach method for Luigi which can be used to tack on damage or push Snake off the stage. If the stage has platforms, Luigi can use aerials to pressure Snake from below until he jumps off or falls off from sliding, from which a kill opportunity could arrive.

Snake's aerials are powerful, do good damage and have high knockback, but he doesn't want to be here. Luigi will win in an aerial fight. What Luigi does to Snake, Snake can't do back to Luigi while airborne. Snake's best bet in the air is to use nair to tack on huge damage if all four hits connect and use bair. If a Luigi is waiting for him on the ground and he's facing the other way, bair Luigi away. If he shields it, he'll slide a good distance because of his traction. If Luigi is trying to drop down from the air, Snake is under him, Snake can up-air. I'm sure it goes through every aerial he has and it will clash at best. It can be used laglessly as well.

|.Edge Guarding.|

Snake is going to want to recover high, so Luigi is going to want to follow him there with his high jumps. Use bairs and fairs to knock him off his cypher. They get through the super armor. Dair can be used to spike if it's spaced just right. If extra height is needed, use a grounded tornado to lift off into the air. Snake cannot do much when he's recovering. If he lands on the ground instead of going to the ledge, f-smash him or if you're feeling courageous, up+b him.

It is almost the same the other way. The difference is that Luigi's recovery can be mixed up. Green Missle, Cyclone, double jump, and up+b are his recovery options. He can use any of these options in any order except for up+b, which will put him in a helpless state. Snake will want to DACUS up to the edge to get there quickly while also launching a projectile high into the air in case Luigi tries to recover from above. Luigi's nair can go through the projectile and the mortar itself, however. Fair can be used to spike and up-tilt can kill Luigi out of a Green Missle and Cyclone if he ends up above the edge while recovering. Nikitas can be used for chasing him off stage safely. Snake can bair through Luigi's recovery options, eventually forcing Luigi to up+b, which can lead to a kill.

|.Overall Summary.|

Luigi is going to be approaching Snake throughout the match, while using fireballs to help aid his approach at lower percents. Snake is going to be using grenades to camp, stop any cyclone approaches, and get out of combos. Snake will be playing defensive until Luigi is around 90%, where Luigi will be playing very cautiously and defensive to avoid being killed by a u-tilt. Snake will try to keep Luigi on the ground, zoning him with his tilts, such as f-tilt while Luigi attempts to get Snake into the air to hit him around with aerials. Snake wins in camping ability, ground fights and range while Luigi wins inside of Snake's range and in aerial fights.

55:45
Snake's advantage.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Luigi doesn't ALWAYS gimp Snake, but Snake is usually in a BAD position when he gets back onstage. It's matter of predicting and punishing really. Snake can do more bad stuff and gimp Luigi harder than vice versa. And Luigi has a hard time getting past Snake's ledge traps >_>.

Inferno, look up Themann and l believe luigiking, they've been doing it for a while, fair>gm saves alot of %s.

teneban, luigi DOES have a defensive game, well more in the lines of aggressive camping really.

WIGI

Smash Champion
The point of giving a 'random' number to a matchup is to give people a general idea as to how hard you think the match is. Its useful to know that luigi does better against olimar than he does against marth, unless you want to play luigi against every marth you see in tourny (which you don't go to so it doesn't matter anyway).

Most people add input as well. I don't see what the problem is.
you must not have been around for my giant rant about how much i ahte and think matchup threads are usueless because a number doesn't change the way you play. and if it does, theres a problem.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Grenades can't really be picked up and thrown back. A snake who is paying attention can simply shield and YOU will drop his grenade, leaving it on the floor and ready to blow up.

TreK

Is "that guy"
teneban, luigi DOES have a defensive game, well more in the lines of aggressive camping really.
Haha I was joking, tbh my Luigi's a campy basterd... kinda (chic said I "needed to slow it down" on the luigi xat last time, wtf ?)
Just that if you keep being defensive against snake you're basically asking him to steal your money ; so I go mk style by pressuring him with the safest pokes I can pull off until there's a chance to combo :V

Grenades can't really be picked up and thrown back. A snake who is paying attention can simply shield and YOU will drop his grenade, leaving it on the floor and ready to blow up.
Insta throw it ;D
Or use the explosion to slide :p

HURRICANE REV

Smash Ace
I would say that this match up is 45 - 55. If not, 50 - 50. Snake is good on the ground whereas luigi is good in the air. Snake got nades and luigi got fireballs. Snake got U/D tilted and luigi got f smash tilted upward and super jump punch. Snake has got a really good defesive game. However, luigi has got a really good offesive/Mix up game.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I've decided to include some stage discussion with each character. We might as well right?
So basically we should discuss where, and where NOT to go.

Snake seems kind of difficult to cp against. Both characters have the same stages that work in their favor and against them.

Both Luigi and Snake don't do to well on Japes, but they both do well on BF, Delfino, and Brinstar.
Neutral wise, BF is probably your best bet. Platforms are just fantastic for Luigi and his gameplay. Try to get Snake above the platforms and just control the stage from there. Just try not to get caught above the platforms yourself. Snake has his tricks there too..
Don't think for a second that this is an auto win when you choose this stage. You still have to play extra cautious.

Luigi's up b reaches the top platform perfectly, so if you miss the platform saves you from free falling into a utilt.

I'm not sure which stages have a clear advantage over Snake. Probably none Dx

Brinstar works well for both characters, but Snake has more going for him here.
We both can kill very well here, and the low ceiling helps with that even more. Beware Snakes utilt!

Luigi's up angled fsmash and up b are god like on this stage. Luigi's up b reaches the top platform here too
Brinstar has three platforms just like BF, which work well for Luigi. But the two end platforms are on the very edge of the stage so this doesn't help as much.

Luigi's Cyclone can get caught up in the tendons things that connect the two side of Brinstar when going to the right. This can leave you open for a bit.

When the lava reaches the very top it only leaves the very top platform uncovered. A safe snake player might cypher away to avoid Luigi's Killing potential. But an aggressive snake player might take advantage of it and go in for the kill. All sort of situational since it depends on who is standing on top of the platform first I suppose.

Snakes explosives are really well hidden on Brinstar's terrain though, and it can just be a pain to keep a constant look out for it all.
The short blast zones on this stage allow for an easy kill for snake's ftilt as well. Luigi is a vertical killer so this doesn't significantly help him. That right there kinda gives Snake the edge on this stage.

All in all it might be best to avoid this stage against him, unless you want a really annoying fight on your hands

That's it for now lol
I'll talk about Delfino later

EDIT: I'll be making a General Stage discussion thread sometime later today :D
I wanted to cover the neutrals first, but we can just bounce around from one random stage to the next if you guys want to

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Ill bring up the stages...probably edit it with other stuff later

For stages, stay away from any stage Snake can camp on easily. This means FD and smashville are no-no's

Go to Battlefield (best bet) followed by Lylat Cruise, Followed by Yoshi's. Platform stages are one of the few things that saves Luigi.

Similarly, the same thing works with platforms. Ban Haliberd since Snake kills I believe at 80 with a fresh up tilt and FD.

If you can win the first match, there are many good stages to play on. However, if you lose, you will most likely lose on Smashville or FD or some other incredibly campy stage.

I personally recommend stages that force snake to approach in the air or a stage with an incredible amount of platforms
To me that means:
Norfair: Lava combos and multiple platforms. Snake isn't quick enough to camp on the platforms. However, will most likely be banned at tourney
Frigate Orpheon: The stage flips and the stage moves, forcing snake into the air.
Battlefield/Yoshi's: Best neutrals

Also, two last thing. Learn to down air spike his recovery, and our down throw combos help tremendously on platforms. Down throw to up tilt or N-air gets snake to 50+

WIGI

Smash Champion
i will put my 2 cents in here. bring snake to places that force him to recover stupidly.

RAINBOW CRUISE. movement = less stage control fro snake. its easy to gimp him here too.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
My 3 stage picks are Jungle Japes, Rainbow Cruise, and Frigate Orpheon.

JJ: Overall, it's one of my favorite stages so this is biased. I like it against Snake because the battle becomes aerial very easily since he can't just run to the other side of the stage to avoid me. Plus the low bottom "blast zone" is deadlier/harder for his Cypher/Claymore recoveries than Luigi's Cyclone recoveries.

RC: AERIAL BATTLE!!! Snake's slow and laggy attacks sort of make him have to choose between moving to keep up with the stage or attacking... while Luigi can do both at the same time. That's all the insight I have.

FO: Ah, the frigate. Just pushing him off the stage makes it so dangerous for him. Plus, he'll need to re-lay mines and claymores if the stage flips.

IxxI: I thought about posting that one (since it's also in my favorites and it has sound)... it was such a tough choice.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
You guys took all the good stuff

Green Fire Balls are god send, they can really when in your a small pickle when your near snake, but don't go spamming them. Aggressive Smart camping is your best bet.

Trying to keep the fight towards the edge can and will help Luigi, just as long as you aren't the one trying to get back on stage.

Jab Combos can also help, and comboing Snake is pretty easy as long as you don't get all fancy with the air game. Rack up as much damage as you can then try to sneak in an Up B. Just be careful at what damage you actually hit him with it, I've messed up to many time using Up B to early, and never getting a chance to use it again.

Tornado can make or break this match up. I feel it works better up close in this matchup, and mostly because I have fallen for some grenades I didn't see on the floor.

Gimping I have no idea how to do >_>, I suck at gimping him. Guess his sexyness is to great for me.

I would pick any stage that can go against his recovery, and air game. RC works wonders for this, and you can make it were the stage can help you score a KO. Just don't forget the the cieling is a lot lower for his uptilts.
BF also works great for some combos.

Another easy punish you can try is if for some reason he uses up smash when your above him, nair eats through it.

Well I'm sure you all know the above info. And I don't see anything Snake has that can make this mathcup 60/40

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
About gimping... I used the wrong word. Open would have been a much better word. There's just no way he's not taking damage on his way back to the stage unless he's already high up. Even if he airdodges out of his cypher to avoid your bAir WoP, he's gonna have to blow himself up and increase his damage. It's like he's saying, "hey, Luigi dude, rough me up a little on my way back or I won't feel complete."

He'll make it back on stage... but with a solid 20% or more damage tacked on if he had to recover from low for sure.

Top Bottom