• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Pokémon Trainer

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
I cant find why charizards recovery is refered to as "poor".. with two midair jumps, glide and a superarmor upB its unless above average... and charizard is one of the characters with the biggest "survivality" (aka stock-tanking effectivity) on all the cast.. so he WILL be on the battlefield quite a while.. not like the analysis posted on weekly character discussion thread says
Anyway ivy and squirtle have bad recoveries and charizard wont be the only one who must recover.. and i agree with everything else said there

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I think what they mean by recovery is his up b move. It sucks. And his jumps aren't very high, so overall his recovery isn't that great, but it's okay at least. It's better than Squirtle's.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Ivysaur has really strong attacks, but he is too slow, which makes him the second best pokemon in PT. He is more of an all-around character actually, but too slow for me.
If you are only using smash attacks, then yeah, she is slow. Her tilts and her aerials come out very quick -- like how her back-air comes out in 4 frames.

Knickknacks

Smash Journeyman
When using PT, dont switch when the current pokemon is tired; just let it do some damage b4 it dies.
Oh and u should loev your pokemon like Ash does with his to perform better.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Hm... you guys are right. I've been finding a lot of good uses for switching in the middle of the match without having to KO or get KO'd first. Like against falco... When I'm Ivy, I can't risk getting gimped so I avoid having to play against Falco when I am at chain grabbable percents... So I jump and nair all over the place, waiting for bullet seeds, razor leaves, bairs, and hopefully looking for a grab so that I can make the switch.

Squirtle is good against Falco at any percent... Charizard is also better off at higher percents, but but at least not as gimpable as Ivysaur. Charizard also has excellent KO possibilities on Falco since his recovery is quite poor and punishable.

So I find myself playing as cautiously as possible with Ivy at low %, switching to Squirtle as often as I can, and trying to gimp him with Charizard.

Ugh, Pokemon Trainer is so fun. SOOO many strategies can be used in a single matchup, because a single matchup is 3 matchups, and learning how to manage those matchups. Sooo much more complex than playing my other mains, lol. Love PT.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
@chok: all 3 pokemon can be cgd, and ivysaur is the only one who can survive it 100% of the time if u meteor cancel vinewhip. Squirtle and char are much more dangerous to have out at low percentages and its often better to bait a little bit of damage then to run in too headstrong with those 2. Squirtle is pretty good vs falco otherwise, and Char can get ***** but can also gimp falco pretty well if they dont expect it. Stick to ivy and Squirtle in this matchup for sure tho.

Onxy

Smash Lord
If people are going to be afraid of being gimped all of the time, then don't bother even using Ivysaur. You'll never get Ivysaur to a level that as high as the others.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Ivysaur does have to potential to be better than the others, but Squirtle is a much easier character. And Charizard, don't even think about it.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
charizard is great dude. his only major weakness is the blindspot below him when he's in the air. he's got his front (rock smash, kinda fair), back (bair), head (uair, fly for lols) covered. nair punishes air dodges extremely well. rob has an even bigger weakness in the air but he's doing fine. when charizard has his feet planted on the ground, he's REALLY good. when he's edgeguarding, he's pretty good. in the air, he's good.

squirtle is so dynamic. he's high tier quality imho.

i just can't figure ivysaur out. she's supposed to be a spacing queen but she has no safe way of racking up damage since 1. ftilt is greatly influenced by di, 2. bair does nothing damage-wise, dtilt has average damage but HAS NO IASA FRAMES even though it makes perfect sense to have it, nair is okay and leads into stuff but isn't safe, bullet seed is only safe if you can interrupt something, and even then, it can be di'ed.

additionally, a mediocre projectile, a horrendous recovery, and bad KO moves. how can you possibly say there's potential in that? i'd love to be proven wrong because i have to improve my ivysaur but seriously trainers. i think both charizard and squirtle are more than a tier above ivysaur, individually.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
If dsmash or fsmash killed and was quick then squirtle would be high tier. His only limitation is his weight and it can get a little difficult to kill (but you have a great emergency KO/switch if u save it or use it right)

Char is just so great when you string together some hits, all of a sudden theyre at like 70 :p. He has so many killing options at any percent but they can be diffcult to land sometimes. For emergencies there is always ftilt, dtilt and sometimes dthrow. A grounded dair will also kill.

Ivysaur doesnt have trouble with power although it may be hard to land a finisher, her real problem is inflicting a good amount of damage. If it weren't for bullet seed her damage output might be the worst in the entire game.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
additionally, a mediocre projectile, a horrendous recovery, and bad KO moves. how can you possibly say there's potential in that? i'd love to be proven wrong because i have to improve my ivysaur but seriously trainers. i think both charizard and squirtle are more than a tier above ivysaur, individually.
I could say something similar for Squirtle. He's got terrible range, bad killing potential, and his recovery is pretty gimpable (Which limits his own ability to gimp). Both Squirtle and Ivysaur rely on the actual abilities of the player to perform perfectly in any given situation than Charizard will.

I will however agree that Ivysaur is far more dependant on this factor than Squirtle is. As I've already mentioned in this thread, Ivysaur's move balance is totally screwed over. It goes much farther than actual damage output. Ivysaur is a complete character, but it seems that most moves are extremes. No one will disagree when I say Bair is an incredible spacing move and is very useful for that purpose, but how far will the 4% put you long term? I know that I often get aggravated when I am doing an excellent job spacing with Ivysaur but my opponent gets in for just a few moves and they've already evened out the percentages again. Similarly, no one will try to disclaim the fact that Ivysaur's Usmash is one of the strongest smashes in the entire game. But its functionality is extremely limited because of how punishable it is and how slow it executes. It certainly isn't a kill move that you'll rely on. It seems that Ivysaur was balanced far too well; so well, in fact, that PT players will actually have to make conscious decisions between spacing and doing damage. Ivysaur offers very few moves that serve as a "multi-purpose" move (Compare to Charizard, who actually has so many KO moves that the player has flexibility in choosing which ones to use for damage and which ones to use for KOs) and is therefore an extremely unforgiving character to play. You need the ability to land many moves from all over the spectrum to have any sort of success with Ivysaur.

Zephramill said it best thus far: I doubt many people would contend that Ivysaur is the worst on paper. Make no mistake, Ivysaur is a complete character (Well, I suppose aside from recovery).

However, for all this talk I've done of the lack Ivysaur has to any sort of "middle-ground," I do want to mention that Ivysaur does display it in Nair. Nair is a very good attack. I remember a long time ago when Pope of Chili Town still frequented the PT boards and he said something to the effect of "Remember, Bair (Spacing) is only the means, not the objective." And I whole-heartedly agree. At the time I suppose I would have defaulted to Bullet Seed or Fsmash as the objective. But the more I play, the more strongly I feel that Nair is Ivysaur's most complete move. This move is quick, lagless, has spike properties, does 14% fresh, wears out shields, can cause the opponent to trip, is helpful during recovery (The spike), and even functions as a set-up (Bullet Seed without the pop-up at lower percentages, back into itself at lower percentages, even Uair if your opponent makes a mistake). Seriously, this move is basically everything all at once and I use it more and more every time I use Ivysaur.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Squirtle's killing move is possibly up smash. His other attacks are weak and he is pretty light too. He can wall cling. His recovery isn't all that great. His side b move can result in suicide. His b move is a downgraded version of F.L.U.D.D. but it is still useful. He has good aerials too. Despite his disadvantages, he can be very good if used correctly. He is my favorite thanks to his ninja skills.

Ivysaur is an average character. She has powerful smash attacks. Her recovery is good, but it is also bad because it's a tether. Tethers are cool, but as an up b? No. Unless she had better jumps, which she doesn't. She is pretty slow, but not slow enough to classify him as a slow character. She is midweight. Her bullet seed is very useful, and she has a projectile. Her aerial game isn't that good, but has a great ground game. Ivysaur is good, but can be hard to use. In my opinion she is the second best.

Charaizard is really powerful, but really slow. His side b is strong. His other specials suck. He actually does have a good recovery because he can glide, but his multiple jumps a short and his up b is a sucky recovery. Charizard has good aerials and good ground game. If you know how to use him, he is decent, but I still think he sucks. He is my least favorite. However, he is the most important one of the three and you need to get good with him. I'll explain why next paragraph.

Overall, PT isn't a really good character, but more of an okay character. His main advantage is that he can survive on the field for a long time on one life if used correctly. Start with Squirtle, switch to Ivy at 60%, then switch to Charizard at 120% and continue to use him till you die. repeat this method and it will be a while before you die. This is why Charizard is really important and you should get good with him. You need him to survive past 120%, which is easy because he is heavy, but he takes a lot of hits, so you can still die easily.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
no offense mimic_king but its a much better idea to specialize in 1 and be decent with the other 2 than to start with 1 switch at a percent and then switch again all within one life.

also Retro_Gaming what i actually said was that nobody considers ivy anything but the worst out of the 3 on paper (meaning ivy has the least going for her on paper but in practice ivy is just as viable and maybe even more viable than the other 2, just at this point my ivy is only passable.)

If I had to rate my pokemon competence and then multiply it by how generally useful the pokemon is in my experience of competitive play (in canada's metagame) I would come up with something like this.

Squirtle:
Skill 8/10
General Usefulness in play: 1.0 (Fatigued Usefulness: 0.8)
= 8.0
Percentages most useful in: 0-65%

Charizard:
Skill 7/10
General Usefulness in play1.3 (Fatigued Usefulness: 1.25)
=9.1
Percentages most useful in: Always but especially over 90.

Ivysaur:
Skill 4.5/10
General Usefulness in play1.2 (Fatigued Usefulness: 1.1)
=5.4
Percentages most useful in: 40%-90%

This means that in general I should start with Charizard and use him in life 1. If I get the first kill and my health is around 75 then I should stay with charizard. If i get the first kill and my health is below 60ish I might try for a quick dmagaing run with Squirtle (get them to 50-60 or so) and then Downthrow or usmash into a change. Then I can ensure that I can get back to charizard to stock tank if i need to (an ivy backthrow or smash should allow me to change once the opponents percent is over 80.)finish that stock with ivy if i desire to have char out again from the get go, or use squirtle my next most effective pokemon in his most effective area.

Many variables affect how effective each Pokemon will be. These include your opponent's character, playstyle, current damage percentage, the stage you are on, and whether or not you are fatigued. My chart and description only applies to myself in my scenes metagame and how well i find the potential for performance in each character through personal experience.

I suggest each pokemon trainer take a look at his 3 pokemon and how well he performs with each of the 3 and how useful he perceives them to be. I will also be starting a new version of matchup threads with a focus on specific percentage strategies for each of the pokemon, when to get them out there, when to get them out of there, and how to maximize your time with your best bet in any given situation.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
also Retro_Gaming what i actually said was that nobody considers ivy anything but the worst out of the 3 on paper (meaning ivy has the least going for her on paper but in practice ivy is just as viable and maybe even more viable than the other 2, just at this point my ivy is only passable.)
Isn't that what I said? Ivysaur is the most reliant on the player to determine effectiveness of any of the other Pokemon. I pretty much quoted the paper thing word for word. The complete character portion has nothing to do with your statement, I suppose that wasn't very clear.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
Isn't that what I said? Ivysaur is the most reliant on the player to determine effectiveness of any of the other Pokemon. I pretty much quoted the paper thing word for word. The complete character portion has nothing to do with your statement, I suppose that wasn't very clear.

oopsie, you put
Zephramill said it best thus far: I doubt many people would contend that Ivysaur is the worst on paper

which i interpreted as Zephramrill "I doubt people think Ivy is the worst on paper."

when IMHO just looking at them from a non playing perspective Ivy is by far the worst.

Either way do you think my idea for a modified type of matchup thread is a good idea, or would it just be spammy clog?

Onxy

Smash Lord
Ivysaur is an average character. She has powerful smash attacks. Her recovery is good, but it is also bad because it's a tether. Tethers are cool, but as an up b? No. Unless he had better jumps, which he doesn't. He is pretty slow, but not slow enough to classify him as a slow character. He is midweight. His bullet seed is very useful, and he has a projectile. His aerial game isn't that good, but has a great ground game. Ivysaur is good, but can be hard to use. In my opinion he is the second best.
Lolwut

:laugh:

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Mimic_King, did you just say Charizard's Flamethrower sucks? Are you flippin' mad?

Oh, and Charizard at 120%? I don't like that. The way I play, I try to get Squirtle out of there by 50-60%, anad I get Ivysaur out of there by 100%. If Charizard had the weight of say, Snake (which he SHOULD HAVE), then yeah, I'd feel comfortable bringing Charizard in at 120%. But he feels like he dies too early, so I'd rather have him out at the 100% area.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Squirtles recovery is actually very good I find, you just have to have the experience to DI correctly. Directional Influence is so important to him, because it keeps his options flexible. Waterfall has a huge hit box, so it's hard to avoid, and with proper DI, you can recover from up high, so Withdraw becomes a blessing in of itself. Let's also not forget how mobile this character is, and how hard he can be to edge guard due to his small frame.

Squirtle is absolutely horrid when improper DI is used, because his only option is Waterfall, which makes his recovery one dimensonal in that circumstance, and thus very easy to guard/hog.

Ivysaur however has garbage recovery. Even with the proper DI, there is little benefit, because he has nothing to properly propel himself horizontally in the air. The most hope Ivysaur has is to use Razor Leaf on an ledge hogging opponent and grab the ledge that way. Even with this tactic, you're putting that character at horrible risk.

Charizard has rawksmash, which is probably the third best move in the game. Nuff said.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Charizard:
Skill 7/10
General Usefulness in play1.3 (Fatigued Usefulness: 1.25)
=9.1
Percentages most useful in: Always but especially OVER 90.
You heard it here... Charizard is better OVER 9000!!!!!!!!

Ulevo, what do you think about charizard's survivality??? Hes very heavy, and has a nice horizontal air spped, but his best attack to survive (the way you discovered) is Bair, which sometimes makes me missing the right DI... :/

Ulevo

Smash Master
You heard it here... Charizard is better OVER 9000!!!!!!!!

Ulevo, what do you think about charizard's survivality??? Hes very heavy, and has a nice horizontal air spped, but his best attack to survive (the way you discovered) is Bair, which sometimes makes me missing the right DI... :/
Do you use your C Stick for the aerials? You should. It's easiest that way. You should really be using your C Stick for aerials in every circumstance really, it allows for optimal control and spacing precision. You can't retreat a Fair properly while using the analog stick, just as an example.

And Charizard survives very well I find. Squirtle alone for me lives to 130 - 140% just by proper DI and aerials, since he rarely gets hit with anything, and he usually can return to the stage safely since he has Withdraw and a small frame, as well as his Waterfalls hit box being as large as it is. Charizard does this even better with the help of Rock Smash and Fly's Super Armor to cover him on return. His aerials have impressive range, so he can usually use those as cover on return too if the opponent chases off stage, it's just not as safe with the lack of SA.

Oh, for some reason, I find Squirtle to survive vertical KOs with aerials very, very easily. More so than characters similar to his weight. I'm not sure why, I might be losing my marbels. But I find I live very long when someone uses a strong USmash, UTilt, et cetera, that would have normally killed said Meta Knight or G&W.

With Ivysaur I can't maintain stage control with very well yet, so Ivy gets knocked off stage and... well dies. :ohwell:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i'm with ulevo on this one. squirtle's recovery isn't bad at all. it's just average. di up and you should never get consistently gimped by anyone that isn't meta knight or something.

i don't like ivysaur at low percent. gimps matter so much more at that point. mid to high percent is cool but charizard does that better too...although if you di up with ivysaur, it shouldn't be getting gimped THAT frequently...but still more often than anyone else. if ivysaur isn't THE BEST pokemon in a matchup (which is rare anyway...ness, dk, snake, a handful of others), i just can't find reason enough to use it for more than a partial stock. :\ zard's damage output FAR exceeds that of ivysaur, and neither of the other two pokemon have such a ridiculous weakness that ivy has in recovery. ivy has perfectly average weight but weight and recovery are all just smaller parts of one big thing called SURVIVABILITY. and squirtle's survivability > ivysaur's survivability, imho.

i wish bullet seed were more reliable.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
Yo ulevo, who the hell are you facing to allow squirtle to live til 130-140 :p, I wanna play them too. You must have the most badass DI or they must be using stale moves. Squirtle should never live past 125 so you should definitely pat yourself on the back for being able to stay alive that long, thats awesome :p.

Everyone I brawl with is pretty used to my PT so if i have squirtle out they make sure theres a fresh kill move ready for me. It is a bonus that his hurtbox is so small for sure. my problem with retreating fairs is if i get punished by something i dont see coming at all my DI is set terribly, and I get *****. Luckily that hasn't happened in any important or serious matches.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Check this out: Reflex is an awesome Pokemon Trainer. He got 2nd at Fast1 over 100 entrants, only losing to M2K, he didn't use PK trainer, but that shows you how good & smart he is.
lol what does that have anything to do with pokemon trainer?

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Oh yeah two over 9000 jokes on two continuous pages of a weekly character discussion
We may be considered as spammy.. not lucario boards spammy, but spammy :p
@Ulevo: That just happens when i play woth the wiimote :/... otherwise i dont have too much trouble surviving as zard... but with the wiimote i feel like i DI to the outscreen, even when i use fair cause i fell that that fire pushes me back :/.... my real question is... how far do you feel like can charizard go before dying in matter of damage??
And squirtle is very good surviving against oponents with powerfull but hard to land ko moves

mimic_king

Smash Lord
What about Sonic thread spammy?

If used correctly, Squirtle is practically a ninja. How can someone not like him?

Ulevo

Smash Master
Yo ulevo, who the hell are you facing to allow squirtle to live til 130-140 :p, I wanna play them too. You must have the most badass DI or they must be using stale moves. Squirtle should never live past 125 so you should definitely pat yourself on the back for being able to stay alive that long, thats awesome :p.

Everyone I brawl with is pretty used to my PT so if i have squirtle out they make sure theres a fresh kill move ready for me. It is a bonus that his hurtbox is so small for sure. my problem with retreating fairs is if i get punished by something i dont see coming at all my DI is set terribly, and I get *****. Luckily that hasn't happened in any important or serious matches.
I usually DI everything on instinct. It's mostly upwards DI, so it's very generalized, but it does the job even if it could be better. I usually don't fail to do so. And whenever I fight Meta Knight, I pretty much DI everything correct since I know how to deal with him more than any other character I fight.

This alone usually contributes to me living to higher percents than normal.

@Ulevo: That just happens when i play woth the wiimote :/... otherwise i dont have too much trouble surviving as zard... but with the wiimote i feel like i DI to the outscreen, even when i use fair cause i fell that that fire pushes me back :/.... my real question is... how far do you feel like can charizard go before dying in matter of damage??
And squirtle is very good surviving against oponents with powerfull but hard to land ko moves
I'm not sure. I think if you pay attention in a match, it's not difficult to stay above 160%. I can see 180%+ being possible, depending on how well you can DI moves and how fast you are with your aerials on reaction. That's just an assumption though, I don't play PK Trainer all the time.

infernovia

Smash Ace
I like Ivysaur in high percentage for upwards DI. I like Charizard at high percentage to avoid combos.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
I believe that Squirtle is a better choice than Ivysaur or Charizard because he can fair better than the both of them in combat. For instance, Hydroplaning makes him more dangerous because of the many things he can use with it. He seems to be the all-around poke because he has many fast and campable moves, a speedy charge, as well as a projectile with two uses. Sure Ivysur and Charizrd have their moves but most of them are very risky and require precise timing, which is why I believe Squirtle is the better poke(although timing is required for all characters, he doesn't need much timing).

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
Nope Charizard is the best all around pokemon because he has at least 1 decent tool for every purpose.

He has high damage output in single moves (flamethrower and rocksmash especially worth noting)
He has a plethora of kill move options (Dtilt, Ftilt, Fsmash, Usmash, Rock Smash, Fair, Bair, Dair, Downthrow sometimes, Fly)
He has some decent combo setups if the opponent is at a low percent (Various throws into regrabs, aerials, jab jab dtilt,)
He has 3 aerial jumps and a glide
He has super armor in 3 attacks (Fly, Rock Smash and I'm pretty sure hes got something in Fsmash)
He lives long (Shouldnt die before 130 in a normal match)
He has an infinite grab break
He has decent grab break setups
Amazing grab range and speed plus an amazing pummel
He has great offstage options (Fair *****, Dair spikes, Tipper Bair can kill, nair has a decent hitbox)
Great shieldpoke in Dtilt
Did I mention how insanely fast he is on the ground in terms of running speed and attack speed?

The point is Char has got a little bit of everything going for him and his major problem in being huge is really just lackluster horizontal airspeed (basically negated in terms of recovery because of his good recovery options) and being juggled from underneath. He doesnt like projectiles either but hes so fast running that you can close distance if needed.

Squirtle doesnt have a projectile with two uses, dont know what you're talking about. Squirtle doesn't have any campable moves either, he low range moves all require being right in peoples faces, his only moves with large hitboxes are usmash and Waterfall. I don't know what you mean by a speedy charge, if you mean running speed then actually he has the slowest of the 3 pokemon, if you mean air speed then yup you are right. And finally you're wrong about timing with Squrtle, most of his high damage output 'combos' require precise timing, his fair and bair have a little prolonged hitbox but following up takes good timing. And as for riskiness, Squirtle has to be close to hit with just about anything which is generally considered a risk. Ivy and Char have better range and more multihit options (And rocksmash is not really risky at all unless you are facing the wrong direction.)

Top Bottom