• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Marth

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
You ARE kidding right?

Dancing blade is 100 times better in Brawl, I rarely ever used Dancing blade in Melee, it is a staple of Marths in Brawl.

Also Marths range shortening KILLED his fsmash <_<, Marth had the best fsmash in Melee imo.
lack of CC hurt his F smash most IMO

Prancing Mad

Smash Rookie
Marth in Melee is so much better. I was reminded of that recently, while playing some melee. He seems more powerful and has longer range. IMO the only real improvement is his dancing sword. His b power up is worse too since it doesn't hit on the top like in melee. I was disappointed in Marth when I played him in brawl. REALLY disappointed, it seems like a lot of tiny things have changed, and it throws off my marth game so much so that I main Ike and 2nd MK and Sheik.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
It really is just you. Marth is great, but is nothing compared to MK, D3, Snake, and his melee counterpart, not that that has anything to do with brawl.

Nightshine

Smash Journeyman
Marth would be better in brawl if his sword was the same length it was in melee its shorter in brawl and i find it a bit harder to hit with the tip of his sword in brawl than in melee as well. If those two things were like in melee then maybe Marth would be a better character. He's still great and everything just the small changes can effect a character greatly.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Lacking safe kill moves is far more detrimental then having reduced range.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I think his range is still pretty decent but he lacks a lot. He's not as maneuverable as he was in melee and it's really hard to hit people at times after the sword being shortened. There have been a few times I know I would have hit an opponent was I playing melee, but it's brawl and that's life. He's still a good character and any character can be the best. Practice with him over and over, get to know his moves, develop strategies, and you can do wonders against any charcter. (Maybe not MK, because he's on steroids)

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Many of the people I've played either main Marth or have him as a good secondary. He's popular and it's easy to see why. He's fast, pretty safe and he has multiple killing moves. I think he's high tier at least, although many people using him means his metagame progresses faster than that of most characters. I don't know much about his match ups, but I think at least Snake is a tough one for him.
Agree here too. Hasa a plethora of killing moves, can rack damage easily if used right, and has high-priority, speed, and a great metagame

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I have been using him a lot because he has a great matchup against olimar, so now my friend won't win as easily.

MaxThunder

PM Support
i use marth cause he is the character that fits best whith my preffered play style... and hes fun to play... and he can dance=)... he is also good to edgeguard whith=) and i can beat most of my friends whith him=)

mimic_king

Smash Lord
normally i main the top characters, but i use marth who isnt top. he is more fun to play than any of the top characters, except ROB.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
good discussion, too bad it went downhill after matchups weren't discussed regularly...
EL you've done a great job helping me realize what's wrong w/ my Marth, especially since there is only like 1 marth in TX, so i wanna be the second XP

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
yeah that's kinda what i meant, but in general, there are a lot of people who can pick up Marth, it just takes a lot to learn to properly space

i also like to use Marth b/c he has been the main character i've played w/ since Melee came out

romarthx2

Smash Rookie
I remember in Melee where Marth actually had big range. Marth has been nerfed now with his range. Thats actually good that they did that though because now he is a tougher character and it takes skill to control him i my opinion.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
I remember in Melee where Marth actually had big range. Marth has been nerfed now with his range. Thats actually good that they did that though because now he is a tougher character and it takes skill to control him i my opinion.
Are you trying to imply Marth took no skill in Melee?

Top Bottom