• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
Hey want to play some matches sometime
FC 4983-4587-2357

D

Deleted member

I didn't know that... It's good to know! I also agree to unsticky this thread... its kind of useless... :(
along with skler's guide, cmon he doesnt even play the fcking game

theres so many better threads out there than these two worthless threads

Deva

Smash Lord
Basically one of those retarted mods or whatever, think it was Lee Harris, made the weekly char. Discussion, stickied it on the character forums, posted on it for a week, and then forgot about it >_>. It should have been unstickied after the first week.

D

Deleted member

does anybody else want to help me get this and skler's guide unstickied?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I do... some of the helpful guides are dieing because threads Like these continue to survive. Sasook's guide and the bomb AT guide can easily replace character discussion and Skler's guide...

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
does anybody else want to help me get this and skler's guide unstickied?
Yes....yes i do. I've tried pm-ing one mod to get rid of it but so far no action. I also agree that it's pretty lame that we have a guide by someone that no longer even plays brawl. It is a decent starter guide though, so maybe someone can copy it (giving credit to skler) and expand on it.

Also, some of the other stickied threads might be better off in a "useful threads" thread that can be created and stickied. (maybe even have a "previously stickied" section in it).

Anyway, here is the main thread where the weekly discussion came from. Maybe if we post in there and complain it might encourage the sbr to remove this sticky: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162420

ppig

Smash Journeyman
its cause he horrible in brawl i play him in meele and he has gone down hill again smash bros has no love for link this will be the second time he has been bottom tier they went from ****y recovery 64 to awsome chain recover meele back to ****y again

mimic_king

Smash Lord
He is a bad character. His recovery is one of the worst in the game. He has decreased range on all projectiles except the arrow. He is slower, but a bit stronger. He has crap attacks that don't do much.

Overall, Link sucks.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
again with you guys. can't you just accept the fact that when I say a character sucks then I think they suck?

If you ask a link player, they're obviously going to say that link is good. otherwise they wouldn't play as him. If you ask some of the most intelligent players in the world, they'll all say that link sucks. He doesn't stand a chance against the top characters like MK and Snake.

Plus, half of the stuff I said isn't false. I've tested the character in melee and brawl and noticed these things. Link may have gotten better from melee, but he still sucks.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
What a loss. MK vs. Link. Had the MK aerial dodged in the correct spots he would have won. If you think Link can beat Meta Knight, I will face you.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
If you ask a link player, they're obviously going to say that link is good. otherwise they wouldn't play as him. If you ask some of the most intelligent players in the world, they'll all say that link sucks. He doesn't stand a chance against the top characters like MK and Snake.
If you think Link can beat Meta Knight, I will face you
Do you even know who DSF is? Deva, (probably the best Link player alive) beat DSF when he was playing Snake and Meta Knight. You beating me with Meta Knight doesn't mean anything because I'm not that good. By posting that video, I refuted your comment about "Link doesn't stand a chance against characters like snake and Meta Knight". Link isn't the greatest character, and I never said that. Link has the potential to beat top tier characters if used to his fullest potential.

If you need more proof, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaik3Efwdxw

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I never said that people can't be good with link. People can be good with any character, except ganondorf, but once someone becomes even with them with a better character, the link will lose.

The people who play a character may be good, but someone just as good as them who plays a better character will win.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
I never said that people can't be good with link. People can be good with any character, except ganondorf, but once someone becomes even with them with a better character, the link will lose.

The people who play a character may be good, but someone just as good as them who plays a better character will win.
So you're saying that Deva is much better than DSF as a player? That, if Deva played Meta Knight and Snake, that he would beat DSF every time when DSF played as Snake or Meta Knight? All of the people who say "someone whose just as good as someone else will beat them with a better character". Well, what makes a person good at super smash bros.? Spacing, Comprehension of each characters moveset in the match, a good understanding of the game? Yes, but how do we measure these attributes? With a ruler? The "ability" of a person cannot be determined, it can only be tested when one person faces off against another person. When Deva picked Link as his main, do you think he even considered his priority and lag? Of course he did, but that didn't stop him from choosing Link as a character. If someone's personal playing style just fits Link's moveset, then they will be better than someone whose playing style isn't suitable for that character. Deva likes Link's playing style and uses it to its full potential, so he ***** with the character.

What does DSF need to improve on to best Deva if they play again? Do you honestly think that DSF isn't using Meta Knight correctly, or, do you simply think that DSF isn't as good as Deva? Please elaborate.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
i say deva has gotten very good with link to the point where deva can beat DSF when he's using MK. If DSF got better with MK or Snake, he could beat Deva

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
i say deva has gotten very good with link to the point where deva can beat DSF when he's using MK. If DSF got better with MK or Snake, he could beat Deva
that's where natural human competition comes in. So, if DSF gets better with Mk, then he can beat Deva. But, what if Deva gets even better with Link? There's no telling who will be better at the next tournament or even the tournament after that. There's no "limit" to how good you can be with a character. There are characters that are naturally "better" than others, as in the case of MK v. Link. MK is obviously better than Link, but that doesn't prevent Link from exploiting MK's weaknesses to win a match.

So, is MK better than Link? Hell yes. Does that prevent a Link of equal skill to a MK from winning? No. You can't put a limit on someones luck or skill, especially at higher levels of play. And I reiterate, Kk bi

mimic_king

Smash Lord
once again, i never said that link couldn't be as good as a normal MK, but i did say that he gets as good as he gets, and MK gets better. there is a limit to how good a character can be. it's just that no one knows where that limit is.

take the two worst players in history. one picks MK one picks link. MK will win. Link can lose to other characters besides MK, like ROB or Olimar.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace

once again, i never said that link couldn't be as good as a normal MK, but i did say that he gets as good as he gets, and MK gets better. there is a limit to how good a character can be. it's just that no one knows where that limit is.
Holy crap, dude! Same argument three times in a row! This is getting old now, so please stop saying the same thing. Please say how you can put a limit on how good a character can be. You can't predict how someone plays, so how can there be a limit? Did you include mindgames in your explinations?

take the two worst players in history. one picks MK one picks link. MK will win. Link can lose to other characters besides MK, like ROB or Olimar.
I agree, for the third time. But we aren't arguing about bad people, we're arguing about good people. Good people have more complex strategies. Good people know what mindgames are and utilize them during matches. Bad people just press C-Stick. If we're arguing whose C-Stick is better, I would've hands-down said MK. But the thing is, that isn't what we're arguing about.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
how to put a limit on a character? that's easy to explain.

a character can only have so many strategies and mindgames. if those would be the only strategies that make that character useful, then they have to be good. take bowser for example:

bowser is not a good character, but he is not at all a bad character. he has a few strategies, but those strategies can be surpassed by those of a better character. One of bowser's strategies is that his down b can be used as an edgeguard. that can be useful, but to a certain extent. people will be able to counter that strategy with something else eventually. what that strategy may be, i have yet to find out.

So i as i was writing this, i realized that i was wrong and that a character can't have a limit put on them, but the usefulness of their strategies are limited. in other words, character potential is not determined by strength or speed or any of that stuff, but by the amount of strategies the character has. that number can only go so far in a given amount of time, and no one knows what that amount of time is, nor do they know how many strategies a character has. that is what i mean by the limit.

it may be months before another bowser strategy is thought of.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
This is silly. Mimic King, leave and take your ignorance with you. Don't come back until your crown has less mass in it's given volume. End of story.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
in other words, character potential is not determined by strength or speed or any of that stuff, but by the amount of strategies the character has. that number can only go so far in a given amount of time, and no one knows what that amount of time is, nor do they know how many strategies a character has. that is what i mean by the limit.

it may be months before another bowser strategy is thought of.
I agree with you. So I have to say two words: Link's AT's.

How many does he have now? How many more can we get, how many combos can we mash together along with all of his normal techniques to get so many strategies?

Sure Link has, like, three options for recovery. 1) Jump and tether. 2) Jump and UpB. 3) Pull out a bomb, jump and UpB and hope it explodes for another UpB. So we all have a consensus that Link's recovery sucks.

But with all those AT's, Link's strategies on and above ground become a lot more diverse. Although they may or may not increase Link's deadliness overall, they sure makes an opponent think hard about all the options Link has to attack and defend at any distance. How about a bair to reverse Quickdraw? How about a bomb DAC? What about a bombsmash?

And still Link is considered second bottom. So I think we're still missing the mark here.
You guys should take this argument to the tiers section, where they can explain a lot better how they rate characters in the tiers. Whether or not you agree with them on how they do it (I certainly disagree with certain sections of how they place characters, while I definitely agree on others) is up to you. Just take it where you can actually get answers rather than a pointless back-and-forth here, on a useless thread anyway.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
OMG LINK IS THE WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME (Online)

Not only do we all know link is bad....I think we do. But online it is harder to perform his AT's which he depends on.

This makes him need i say [Trash] Online

Offline is a diffrent story of course......

D

Deleted member

what? link's not trash online fool

learn the lag and you'll be fine

mimic_king

Smash Lord
im not an IC main yet. i dont have a main. right now im trying the IC's, but i might just go back to MK, Marth and G&W, or possibly D3

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Lol Arkive....When you see the IC vid I will send you...I use to play IC but I dropped him for the most part.

Now I only play IC against characters with chaingrabs for 2 reasons.

1. You cant chaingrab IC there are 2 of them.

2. I'm gonna be gay and chaingrab you back.

Back on topic. Arkive is right if you learn the Lag you can do okay. I didn't know what I was talking about before because my wavebird produces button lag on top of regular lag which puts me at a sever disadvantage. And yet, I am still good with Link.

Wavebird button Lag has been holding my true skill back way too long.

By the way Arkive, I know your rusty and you can play me better. can't wait to play you when all your skillz are back. Don't excpect to rock me though. Once I integrate that edgegame I'll deadly......hopefully has a wired soon too....

sasook

Smash Champion
I was told to move an argument with Darkest-Link here.

of course your not because you dont know what your talking about. of course the concept of using strong attacks and comboing applies to all characters but some characters need to use a certain type more than others

Ex:MK isnt good with KO hits therfore his strength is comboing......and gimping
I don't know what I'm talking about? I'm not the one who said zair was useless. And we're not talking about MK here, we're talking about Link. So only use examples of Link, or don't use one at all.

since you apparently cant figure out whos for comboing and whos for finishing ill give you a tip, characters like meta knight dont have strong attacks but they are very fast......ive explained his strength already so theres no need to repeat it, Link is slow but has strong attacks gee i wonder what he should be doing.
Who's for comboing and who's for finishing? Um......first of all, combos hardly exist in Brawl, period. Now, using a string of consecutive attacks is different. At low percents, Link can use several **** strings, and omg, guess what? They involve his aerials. By "finishing moves," I hope you're not referring to just using smashes again and again. If you are, you really need to improve that Link of yours.

Honestly all you do is jump in the air and attack.....wth have you lost your mind, yes there a times for jumping but not the way you do it. if you were good with the gun and you had to fight somone with the choice of gun or sword and you chose the sword: your doing the same thing you do with Link, link was not made to fly and i dont need to go into detail on that its obvious his strength is on the ground. So why are you trying to be peter pan and fly, yes yes i know they have a resemblance but that doesnt mean they are the same person so dont get mixed up on that.
Please retype and reexplain, this part made no sense to me whatsoever.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188459

check that thread out and read the first post on it all the way through
What is your point in sending that thread? It doesn't pertain to the discussion at all.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
ok now this is ridicolous your changing your story now. you were complaing about how "Foolish" i was for not comboing and also the only thing Zair is for is.....yes comboing, its weak its lag free (although if they doge it your screwed) and it leads to combos and spacing(sorta, you have so many better things to do that) but now your saying comboing doesnt exist on brawl wth.

sasook

Smash Champion
Okay, first, when you say "there's so many better things to do", what exactly are you talking about? Zair is godly for Link's spacing. Anyone knows that.

And when I talk about combos, technically there aren't "combos" in brawl. There are consecutive strings of attacks, but those aren't combos. If you don't know this, it shows you either have just recently picked up the game or you just have no idea what you're talking about. Or both.

Let me define combo for you. Consecutive attacks in which the opponent cannot recover from due to hitlag. Since hitlag in brawl is just about next to nothing, combos don't exist in brawl. Do you see how this is different from a string? A string is a series of consecutive attacks in which it is possible for the opponent to DI/jump out of or escape.

I realize I was unclear about using the word combo earlier, I apologize for that. The technical term I should have used is string.

Now of course, if you don't know what hitlag is, this entire explanation is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom