• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Kirby

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Kirby has been buffed from melee, but still isn't as good as other characters. His down b is somewhat powerful. His swallow can be used as a "when in doubt, suicide" technique. His side b is also powerful. His up b isn't very ideal for recovery, but it is his only projectile. He multiple jumps for recovery anyway. His drill can be used as a meteor smash and a repeated combo, but the combo won't be as effective now since L-cancel was removed.

Overall, Kirby isn't good, but has a few positives.
Ur wrong my friend, Kirby is good b/c he has many positives but more importantnly less weaknesses. Also his multiple jumps and inhale give him tactics that allow for very lowe percent kills

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
yeah, well he doesn't have a ton of positives
?...

if your going to make such a bold statement at least back it up.

Kirby's jumps give him options

his aerials have little lag both on start up and cool down (barring D air which still doesn't have too too much) and in a game with no L cancel this is a big strength.

B air spaces well

Smashes are quick and strong

incredibly useful tilts and jabs (especially U tilt)

Specials work well for the metagame of the match

.. I'd go on... but i see no need. your wrong man

though its true that Kirby's greatest strength is his lack of weaknesses he's high tier for a reason. and thats because he has many strenghs as well.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
well i guess that makes sense. he still isn't as good as he was in 64, but definitely better than in melee. kind of like pikachu

AntiC

Smash Journeyman
well i guess that makes sense. he still isn't as good as he was in 64, but definitely better than in melee. kind of like pikachu
About half the characters aren't as good as they were in ssb64, mainly because there was a much smaller move set, alot LOT more stun than any of the trilogy, and about 2/3 of the characters had a dair that spun for multiple hits and could be combo'd into an u-tilt.

I'm not sure if anyone's brought this up before, but i saw in some of Gonzo's movies the dtilt to anything combo (if the character trips). What i'm thinking a nair (or maybe even a hammer?) to get yourself close and then a dtilt-> fsmash would be a good set up.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
he plays meta pretty even actually IMO
Ha. Even if that is true, I wouldn't go so far as to say he has many advantages :p

or I guess the exact word was "positives" against Meta Knight. I can think of Fsmash and hard-to-gimpness. Other than that he doesn't really have too much that will scare MK players

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
I think blind aggresive players would get easily punished though, so it would depend on your gameplay.
well obviously you still have to play smart... but barring skill differences the two characters play pretty even

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
and how do you know this? i havent faced you before. unless that IMO means something that i need to know.

what does IMO mean? i dont know much about internet slang
In My Opinion... aka in my opinion KIRBY plays META KNIGHT pretty even... i wasn't talking about you in any sense....

mimic_king

Smash Lord
what do you mean many? it was mainly the pit and yoshi forums, and im not trolling right now am i?

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
kirby has potential, but it gets too hard at super high level play when one mess up equals your death. i'm not doing too bad with kirby but i am still finding a lot of difficulty against snake and MK. i also recently got ***** by olimar. I just couldnt get inside. Kirby feels to limited to me, like there are no cool tricks to do. although kirby for some reason feels like the only character that feels right to me. So i still dont really have a secondary.

-hiro

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Kirby had been My Main Since 64...well aside from Melee Shiek....But In brawl Kirby has Numerous amount of attacks that chain to one another....If a Heavy or Mid-H Character gets grabbed by him....It's like an instant 50 percent depending if your opponent DI's out...but still it does some heavy damage...His F-bair is also good to use in Mind Game Situations.....Huhhhhhh I'm done for now....I'm tired of typing

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
kirby has potential, but it gets too hard at super high level play when one mess up equals your death. i'm not doing too bad with kirby but i am still finding a lot of difficulty against snake and MK. i also recently got ***** by olimar. I just couldnt get inside. Kirby feels to limited to me, like there are no cool tricks to do. although kirby for some reason feels like the only character that feels right to me. So i still dont really have a secondary.

-hiro
ya i have problems getting in on MK, Marth and Oli... though my experience with Oli's limited so i always have trouble getting in even when i play my Marth. Kirby feels right to me as well but we have no other reletively safe entries but B air. all the tricks you can throw in are high risk low reward.

Ills

Smash Apprentice
Not always true.

I don't like stone that much but at low percentage, a stone is fine too, just to get in there. Doesn't work well at all though.

Final cutter works for two or three times before they catch on.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Not always true.

I don't like stone that much but at low percentage, a stone is fine too, just to get in there. Doesn't work well at all though.

Final cutter works for two or three times before they catch on.
... doesn't work well at all huh?... doesn't that add to my point and not refute it?... and if final cutter works that many times then your either playing the laggyest match ever or your opponent's blind

mimic_king

Smash Lord
How can it not work well at all if it is fine to get in there? You're contradicting yourself there.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
How can it not work well at all if it is fine to get in there? You're contradicting yourself there.
...no... your just putting words in my mouth... where the heck did i say that it was ... 'fine to get in there'?... brain growth is so limited these days

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
So you realized Kirby sucked ballz in Melee and Sheik was amazing? Good job. Not many people realize that, just like people think Ganondorf is a good character.
ganon's good in what game you say? if you mean brawl then i'm no longer responding to your posts. if you mean melee then kudos. most little known high-top tier character ever

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
To contribute to the inhale topic, I find it immensely satisfying to steal my opponents move and use it better than them (i.e. KOing DK w/giant punch). His nair is awesome, but I've gotten into a bad habit of not using it (along with his tilts)...
n air isn't all that great. but you must use tilts my friend. and personally i find it way better out spamming spammy characters.. like.. eat a falco and full hop quad laser him lol

mimic_king

Smash Lord
ganon's good in what game you say? if you mean brawl then i'm no longer responding to your posts. if you mean melee then kudos. most little known high-top tier character ever
Ganon is not good. I was implying that some people think that he is, even though he sucks. and i mean in this game.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Umm if you guy still want to see some videos of Chudat's Kirby I posted some in the New Video thread.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Kirby is too good. I started using Kirby like the beginning of this month and I'm already seriously considering using him in my tourney on Saturday.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This has been here long enough...

P07051

Smash Rookie
Kirby is the only character I have played since the original and I believe him to be quite strong. His ability to return to the platform after being knocked out is amazing, you have to actually KO Kirby to keep him from returning to the platform.

His melee attacks are also quick and quite effective. His C-stick kicks are quite strong and his A button melee attacks are fast as well.

His hammer and brick, if timed well can be devastating to an opponent and his UP-B attack can be used to surprise your opponent as well as a use to return to the platform.

Overall I would say that Kirby is a well rounded character that doesn't get the credit that is deserved.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
There's a more up-to-date thread about this same topic around, literally another "Weekly Character Discussion: Kirby" from '10, so this thread isn't needed anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom