• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Kirby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neogen

Smash Rookie
I find n-airs to be very annyoing edge guards (off stage). While it should definately be used above the opponent to prevent them from rising, you shouldn't FF with it off stage due to the length of time it takes to get out of it. It basicaly forms a wall that can throw off opponents and can hit from all directions. It also has decent knockback at high percentages making it even more effective. But as dabuz said, onto the FS.

The forward smash (Kick of justice!) is a great move with very good range, deadly power, and shocking speed. However, and I find myself doing this a lot, if spot dodged or blocked, it leaves you in a very bad position. I think you should always try to either combo into it or manipulate an opening. I find it more of a countering move than an aggresive one (even though I can't stop using it aggresively -_-). It is definately Kirby's best killing move and should be used when the time is right.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
yeah, plus his dtilt and jab combo can combo into it, even deterioraated it is a beast, if missed it is somewhat punishable but even then a quickly excuted jab or tilt can save you against some of the slower attacks if your lucky

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
aside from comboing into it, simply walking away slowly while the opponent approaches you, and then fsmashing into them (baiting) can work well as a surprise attack.

I find myself rolldodging and immediately fsmashing a lot, though it doesn't work as well against real players as it did against computers in N64 and Melee >_> bad habits..

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
they didn't put the hint up until like last minute so no one really knew. I was looking forward to it but missed it so now that its here we got 2 put are two cents in.

And Bair on to stage i mean u let go of the stage, jump so ur facing away from the stage, and then Bair towards the stage. If u do it all fast u'll land on stage,

Nair is not a move that should be used often nor in bad positions. Use it when u know u'll counter ur opponents hit or ur far away enough to maybe cancel a projectile. It should really be used unexpectedly b/c it is predictable and easily countered by shields
aaah ok thanks for the clear up on the b air.

and i agree for the n air statement. Its more easily shield grabbed especially with the lack of shield stun. i don't believe i've ever been shield grabbed when using a properly spaced b air. and i find if you do a b air or two into a character's shield and then f air into them you'll shield poke with the last hit.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
The forward smash (Kick of justice!) is a great move with very good range, deadly power, and shocking speed. However, and I find myself doing this a lot, if spot dodged or blocked, it leaves you in a very bad position. I think you should always try to either combo into it or manipulate an opening. I find it more of a countering move than an aggresive one (even though I can't stop using it aggresively -_-). It is definately Kirby's best killing move and should be used when the time is right.
Honestly I think overall Kirby's hammer is his best kill move. Its harder to use though.

i don't believe i've ever been shield grabbed when using a properly spaced b air.
Thats how I was. But then DDD screwed everything up :(

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
oh ok... its really not that hard. learn their grab range. SH, bait towards them... then move back just out of range and if you know they'll try a shield grab start charging an f smash and release it as their shield disappears... works for me sometimes.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
even try retreating bairs. kirby has great ariel speed and control. so bair towrds them with a rising shbair and the right when you hit the sheild back a wayi do it a lot to rob.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ok, ok, ill see if that works sometime, why does his forward smash do everything in any sort of strategy, like, that the only smash i ever here about in any strategy for kirby

Neogen

Smash Rookie
Kirby has good smashes. His up-smash is pretty good for catching people off guard and is kirby's most defensive smash. It reaches all around him and set the opponent up in the air. It's not the main killer, but it can be useful in sliding/running.

The down smash is very interesting. It's fast, but it can send them in different directions. Because of this, it's not as good for combos. It's once again defensive. It's best used on opponents who like to roll a lot and is faster than the up-smash.

The reason the f-smash is so greatly discussed is because it is the strongest, great reach and speed, and it's the best smash when on the offensive.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
ok, ok, ill see if that works sometime, why does his forward smash do everything in any sort of strategy, like, that the only smash i ever here about in any strategy for kirby
U smash can be used to fill combo's sometimes... like... d throw combo's SOMETIMES. usually only on heavies or dumb people. and D smash can clear out pretty well.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ive never really found a use for dsmash so far unlike what you say beccause its slow, tilts work better cause they a quick and can combo, and upsmash just does its job better

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Chu uses dsmash very often, and i find a good use for this move watching his battles =]
I use it...not VERY often, but I definitely use it. A lot of Kirbys I see don't use it at all. Usmash and Dsmash both have their places. I use dsmash a lot after rolling or after my opponent rolls.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
ive never really found a use for dsmash so far unlike what you say beccause its slow, tilts work better cause they a quick and can combo, and upsmash just does its job better
D smash hits more horizontally which benefits Kirby... my kirby at least. i do most of my work horizontally. Vertical KO's are few and far between for me. IMO Kirby's one of the best Gimpers out there

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
he plays a very aggressive. dunno if its just cause he was facing a ROB. I hope we don't see half a million Chu clones now spamming hammers and bricks everywhere in all the wrong places.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
he plays a very aggressive. dunno if its just cause he was facing a ROB. I hope we don't see half a million Chu clones now spamming hammers and bricks everywhere in all the wrong places.
People have been doing that anyways. Theres not really anything simple to copy about chudats playstyle its not like he has some trick. Its just spacing, mindgames, and knowing your character.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
People have been doing that anyways. Theres not really anything simple to copy about chudats playstyle its not like he has some trick. Its just spacing, mindgames, and knowing your character.
this is true. i can see a lot of over agressive Kirby's coming through the works though soon from these vids. i play much more defensively than this... then again i don't play all too many ROBs

JuniorToons

Smash Apprentice
Kirby is one of my favorite characters, so I am going to make him my third main. First is Ike or Falco and Second is Ike or Falco. I can't choose! But anyways, Kirby is going to be my third main.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
LMFAO HOLY ****

THIS COMMENT ****ING DESTROYED ME

sasuke9329 (1 day ago) Show Hide
-1 Poor comment Good comment

i hate toasty's gameplay
all he does is avoid

"all he does is avoid"

-casketed-

Nintendo-pie

Smash Cadet
Watching Chu play I saw a lot of what I currently do. I play an aggressive Kirby. Always have, always will. The only thing I saw different was his effective use of dodging and shielding. I'm quite a novice at dodging and have only recently started using it. I still find it hard to sidestep. I overuse my hammer and brick as well. I only really get punished for the brick's start up lag.

Anyway, Chu's a really good player. It's hard for me to get better than I currently am because I've never been to a tournament. Mainly because I've never heard of one in Northern Ireland. I really need to find out if there are any. Oh, I also don't have Wi-Fi. Woe is me.

I think Kirby's a good, solid fighter with strong moves and quick moves which can be unleashed when necessary. The unpredictable nature of his attacks can also lead to victory. Only problem is lack of a good projectile, but Final cutter's shock wave can be an average, if not avoidable, substitute. Inhale can also be effective if timed correctly and suddenly.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Kirby is also very very light. which is a mixed rewards kinda thing... wicked air control... incredibly easy to Star and side KO.

never underestimate the power of your inhale. and the Shield game is one of Kirby's strengths. i find he's harder to shield poke than bigger more human shaped characters

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhW23Vl1f8&feature=related

another chudat match (first two in the set, third match is the OS link)

3:53 to 4:03 = amazing use of utilt for combos and epic mindgames

7:43 = omg a nair

Crazy
^haha the 7 whiffed u tilts were pretty funny. awesome kirby though. incredible spacing
Yeah, those combos were great. And the spamming uptilt 7 times...I actually do that sometimes. See, I know up tilt is one of Kirby's greatest moves, but I have trouble incorporating it into my game other than immediately following a dthrow, because I've gotten into the habit of not using it throughout my smash experience of fighting only computers in n64 and Melee. Sometimes, if I remember I don't use it enough, I'll just stand still and spam uptilt, it's amazing how people actually run into it too XD

That second match was just amazing. The only real flaws I saw on Chudat's side were a couple obvious down Bs that just got punished. Frigate Orpheon is lame. But man the end of the second match made me laugh :D didn't see that coming tbh

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, those combos were great. And the spamming uptilt 7 times...I actually do that sometimes. See, I know up tilt is one of Kirby's greatest moves, but I have trouble incorporating it into my game other than immediately following a dthrow, because I've gotten into the habit of not using it throughout my smash experience of fighting only computers in n64 and Melee. Sometimes, if I remember I don't use it enough, I'll just stand still and spam uptilt, it's amazing how people actually run into it too XD

That second match was just amazing. The only real flaws I saw on Chudat's side were a couple obvious down Bs that just got punished. Frigate Orpheon is lame. But man the end of the second match made me laugh :D didn't see that coming tbh
haha yes i have trouble with u tilt sometimes as well. i like using it instead of a shield grab sometimes as a combo starter.

i don't see the rock moves he used as flaws. even if he gets punished the fact that he used the move keeps his opponent guessing.

pirkid

Smash Lord
I honestly don't play many ROBs at all, but Chudat's style is very similar to what I play like.
Suppose Kirbs everywhere have a similar style, you watch a Kirby video and you can recognize a lot of comboes (and mistakes) that many Kirb players do.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Kirby has been buffed from melee, but still isn't as good as other characters. His down b is somewhat powerful. His swallow can be used as a "when in doubt, suicide" technique. His side b is also powerful. His up b isn't very ideal for recovery, but it is his only projectile. He multiple jumps for recovery anyway. His drill can be used as a meteor smash and a repeated combo, but the combo won't be as effective now since L-cancel was removed.

Overall, Kirby isn't good, but has a few positives.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't play many ROBs at all, but Chudat's style is very similar to what I play like.
Suppose Kirbs everywhere have a similar style, you watch a Kirby video and you can recognize a lot of comboes (and mistakes) that many Kirb players do.
yes. i see a lot of Kirby's trying to do D throw- U tilt combos on floaties. which is a waste of a grab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom