• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Ice Climbers

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
There are multiple throw based "infinites." You are correct that there is only one throw variant that is universally infinite, though.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm hearing now that the Fair at the end shouldn't work. If you smash DI towards the stage, nana spikes you into the stage instead of off it.

Can anyone confirm?
Just use the NT spike. This is not a problem. I posted a video about it on the IC boards.
Actually I think Hylian found a way to have Nana do the spike differently and you can't DI out. He told be about it one day but I can't remember.
This is correct. If you CG to the edge you can actually spike your opponent without throwing them. Just have nana spike your opponent while you are still holding them. This works 100% of the time and cannot be DI'ed out of. They HAVE to smash-DI if they want to tech as well. I call this the NT-Spike.
I looked into the IC infinites, and found there is no such thing. There is an infinite. No infinites.

You can grab, throw, then grab with nana, have her throw, grab again, repeat until you want to smash attack.

The fair chain throw? You can SDI that towards or away and get out of it. You can do the same iwth the fair spike; you can also meteor cancel this spike.

The ice blocks? SDI towards or away and go to the ledge. Sometimes you don't need it, as the timing splits it up. You can also buffer a roll off teh ground so if the IC has timing a few frames off, you auto roll.
There are 3 infinites out of a grab with IC's and then MANY variations on those. The one you listed is the Alt grab infinite. There is also the footstool infinites, and the grab release infinites. Ice block lock is in no way infinite and most IC players know that lol.

I'm going to post about IC's soon. I just went out and bought a nifty USB keyboard for my Wii, so now I can actually type long things without having to bum my roommates computer :).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Well post it while it is in the IC forums, because this thread is done in the SBR!

Synopsis:

One of the most exciting characters in the game, people often look to the future rather than the present with this character. The Ice Climbers are dripping with such potential that it is almost inevitable that someone is going to appear out of thin air and rock the tournament scene. The Ice Climbers have a lot of issues, most of them nana related, but their high damaging attacks, high priority smashes, and their wonderful, wonderful grab game really sets them at a unique position in any matchup. Ice Climbers change the rules of the game in a way no other character does. Even though they have such a good grab game, their best advantage yet may be that no one ever plays them! Matchup inexperience + 0-death grabs = ICs being terrifying.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Before this gets moved, I'd like to point out that I believe Toon Link does amazing against the ICs.

His projectile spam (especially bombs) are very hard for Nana to avoid and since he is so floaty he can nair, bair, or fair in and out without getting touched. A lot of his moves have great shield knockback so he can't be grabbed easily. It's pretty ridiculous.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I think I should have posted a bit more about the weird CGs that I've seen some ICs do that I've never seen before, but in reality it doesn't really matter as a CG is a CG. It doesn't matter what kind you do, they're all 0-death.

Everything after this post is general discussion

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
^

Chu Dat used the ice climbers in melee and is credited with raising them quite a few spots on the melee tier list. He uses Kirby in brawl.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I don't see enough talk about IC's Dtilt, which is amazing now. Especially if people miss the tech, Dtilt, which is sooooooo good at like 70% on...

Unless your recovery is STUPIDLY good.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
^

Chu Dat used the ice climbers in melee and is credited with raising them quite a few spots on the melee tier list. He uses Kirby in brawl.
I'm well aware of who he used in Melee -___-

IT was mentioned that he found out some ICs techs in Brawl, yet last time I saw Chu Dat at Montage, he was using Kirby pretty much everytime I ever glanced at the TV he had a match on.

Adapt

Smash Lord
IC's Side B is broken though. That thing has massive priority and is next to nigh impossible to punish!
I dunno about this statement.... ph00tbag recently discovered that ZSS's rapid jab (holding A) will beat/clash with the side-B nearly every time.

Snake, Wolf, and Captain Falcon can also beat out the IC's Side-B with their rapid jabs. Fox however couldn't.

I didn't check any other characters, I can't remember who else has a rapid first jab like the ones I mentioned.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
You usually wouldn't blindly attack while your opponent is standing still, anticipating a side+B. Rapid jabs are irrelevant.

I seriously doubt m2k is right about Chu discovering the Ice Block Lock, lol

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
As far as I know I was the first to post a video that shows that desynced blocks on a grounded opponent will result in the same effect as falco's laser lock.

Also, about saying that IC have a really hard time getting a grab, this is not true. The final hit of a synced forward B will pop the opponent a bit above the ground from here it is very easy to grab if you just run to the general area they will land at and just shield.
The same is true if your opponent is coming from above, alot of characters can be easily forced to airdodge with the IC insane uair priority (This attack goes through everything, seriously).
Landing a grab isn't a must for taking down a stock or racking damage. Blizzards squalls and uairs rack up damage very well, add the occasional 50% dsmash of doom and you shouldn't have too much trouble getting your opponent off the stage. A well timed upB can also quite easily gimp from the top and its a great punisher against the auto fast fall attacks like gaw and toon link dair, Nana cannot be hit out of the upB because she is totally invincible.

And QFT about what Hylian said, if you think IC has problems dealing with ledge camping you aren't playing a good IC player.
Spiking people off the edge is 100% unavoidable if you spike them straight from grab like Hylian mentioned.

Conclusion:
It's melee all over again and it will take a while untill some1 gets them up the tier list.

Adapt

Smash Lord
You usually wouldn't blindly attack while your opponent is standing still, anticipating a side+B. Rapid jabs are irrelevant.
congrats for completely missing the point...

if a jab can stop the side-B then it clearly doesn't have massive priority...

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
congrats for completely missing the point...

if a jab can stop the side-B then it clearly doesn't have massive priority...
Edit -- I see, you were referring to the 'massive priority' part. My bad, somehow I thought you were trying to relate rapid jabs to punishing the Squall.

Anyways, I've never tested in Brawl, but jabs neutralized many moves in melee, even those with high priority.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Side b doesn't have much priority. It's just that there are 2 of them, and hitting them both out can be difficult.

I could be wrong...

M@v

Subarashii!
Can a broomer or anyone who knows answer an IC question for me?

More than once, Ive been killed by ICs by one grabbing me and the other fsmashing me. How do you do that? I don't play IC's but im very interested in seeing how it works, its crazy good X_X.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Before this gets moved, I'd like to point out that I believe Toon Link does amazing against the ICs.

His projectile spam (especially bombs) are very hard for Nana to avoid and since he is so floaty he can nair, bair, or fair in and out without getting touched. A lot of his moves have great shield knockback so he can't be grabbed easily. It's pretty ridiculous.
AAAAnd, you can't infinite him if he is holding a bomb =[

Can a broomer or anyone who knows answer an IC question for me?

More than once, Ive been killed by ICs by one grabbing me and the other fsmashing me. How do you do that? I don't play IC's but im very interested in seeing how it works, its crazy good X_X.
Use the c-stick to smash, and you can do it without throwing.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
screw the usual summary. nobody listens to them and they're not considered as intelligent posting anyway.

I have decided to main IC's and so far everything has turned out nice. I need to test this out. Will anyone face me?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
A nice thing for ICs is that the game goes a little slower and Nana is even more easily controlled. Imagine how great desynching gets now since it´ll be harder to punish with 2 climbers protecting each other even better...

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Yeah, they are. They learned how to play catch where Nana and Popo are throwing and the opponent is the baseball. They even have their mittens on for this O_O. Also, Nana learned how to not be stupid and walk off the stage and stuff like that so yeah, they did get better.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
I like Ice Climber's in brawl more than melee, but maybe because I sucked in melee...

Ice Climbers are very oppurtunistic. Miss a chance to grab, miss a chance to kill a stock. With sub-par approach and average everything else, except in AT's, power, and versatility, they need to take all the chances they can get.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
So that's what SBR discussion looks like? Spamless, full of red/purple names. Man, I wanna be in there hahah.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I miss the Nanapult, though. ;-; RIP Nanapult.

They really are terrifying to behold if you lack matchup experience and are going up against a good one for the first time, as I learned from my first tournament match against them. It's like a deadly game of cat-and-mouse.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
i have just decided to do my usual summary.

Ice climbers have many advantages. They can freeze opponents which can be followed by a down smash for the ultimate kill. their up special can be used as a tether recovery. they each have their own damage count, so they dont always take damage when they are hit. they dont slip and they have two recoveries. they also have a chain grab. they can throw two different opponents and it isnt easy to throw them since one will attack the grabber.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
i have just decided to do my usual summary.

Ice climbers have many advantages. They can freeze opponents which can be followed by a down smash for the ultimate kill. their up special can be used as a tether recovery. they each have their own damage count, so they dont always take damage when they are hit. they dont slip and they have two recoveries. they also have a chain grab. they can throw two different opponents and it isnt easy to throw them since one will attack the grabber.
Wait.... wha?

10:confused:

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Im done procrastination ang picking up Iceys and learning to chain grab.
But, dumb Nana AI does an Up Throw when shes supposed to forward throw <___<

Halp? D:
I can however, do a dthrow to fair, and sometimes to a fsmash at the end of it, even if that is ridiculously easy!
2 days of 10 minute training FTW!

And yes, Iceys are better in Brawl, not just they have better AI.
And I want Nana to have my babies.

Clever_Sleazoid

Smash Apprentice
Anybody who likes fighting IC should like getting their balls cut off. CG will either kill you or send you into the 90% every time. Most ridiculous character, should never have been put into Brawl as they are. Yes, I'm angry. Fought IC, I get em to like 80%, they finally grab me and that's it, it's over. End of life from one grab.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Anybody who likes fighting IC should like getting their balls cut off. CG will either kill you or send you into the 90% every time. Most ridiculous character, should never have been put into Brawl as they are. Yes, I'm angry. Fought IC, I get em to like 80%, they finally grab me and that's it, it's over. End of life from one grab.
Ummm.... sorry? Don't get grabbed?

"Welcome to my garden of Destruction!"
10angryKyos

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I love maining a really good character...

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I have a quick question regarding Ice Climbers...
Does anyone else use this as a chain grab?

grab - nanajump - fthrow- nana fair

rinse and repeat.

just curious?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I have a quick question regarding Ice Climbers...
Does anyone else use this as a chain grab?

grab - nanajump - fthrow- nana fair

rinse and repeat.

just curious?
yeah, thats a pretty standard cg. most people use the dthrow -> nana fair but i find fthrow -> fair to be easier. of corse i only use it if i can grab someone at the edge/ want to pu them into an ice block lock (i'm not a fan of cgs :ohwell:)

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol, silly Greenstreet. That's an extremely common part of the IC chaingrab arsenal. Notes:
  • Fthrow vs. Dthrow is rather a matter of preference; some ppl find it easier to do one or another depending on the weight of the opponent. If I'm using Dthrow, I'll input the throw before the nana jump, but that too might depend on the opponent.
  • At low percents (around 30ish and below), the opponent can't tech and should be left in a state where he's easily re-grabbable.
  • At higher percents, though, he'll slam on the ground (which can be tech'd), and then roll left or right or use a get-up attack or whatever. If he doesn't tech, this can be an iceblock-lock setup, but that's escapable too.
  • The opponent can smash-DI the Fair, to make things difficult for you, and to avoid a spike off the stage. Instead, you can do a "No Throw (NT) spike", where Nana Fair spikes your enemy right out of Popo's hands, which can't be SDI'd.
In sum, the CG you mentioned is useful at low percents, but even then it's a little risky if your opponent is really good.

D'oh, frozenpopo beat me to it :)

KRDsonic

Smash Master
lolwut? Ice Climbers are my favorite characters to fight (When I'm using Sheik) because of the nice challenge they provide, not to mention that fighting them requires you to work on your spacing, which is something you need against every character anyways. I don't know, but practicing against Ice Climbers seems to be a very good way to work on both your aggressive and defensive skills in the same match.

Top Bottom