• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Ice Climbers

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
*Quote from Clever_Sleazoid*

What? Snake and MK are even better than the ICs... >__> And the ICs have lots of weaknesses, so why dis on the ICs. D: They're only special tech they have is infinites and desynchs, but when you're trying to grab, you might miss and then you're probably doomed, and that's why their grab range is so small because they have small little fingers. O.o And then so on from what KRD explained.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Yeah I just picked them up yesterday for a bit of fun infz.
One other question tho....
I seem to be having trouble (like most ppl wud i guess) with the alt grab.
I can only get it to 3 grabs and it looks kinda messy. Do you move nana forward wen u do it or is she supposed to stay stationary, and once nana has the grab wat shud i do with popo?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I can only get it to 3 grabs and it looks kinda messy. Do you move nana forward wen u do it or is she supposed to stay stationary, and once nana has the grab wat shud i do with popo?
drop the cgs.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
drop the cgs.
this is correct.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
you drop the cgs.

Seriously though, I don't main them, so I am really only just checkin them out for the first time. And I want to chaingrab, chaingrabbing is what I want to do, and what i want to do is chaingrabbing...

So any assistance would be appreciated.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
definitely did.

But yer, I'm not a scrub, and I don't play cheap. Like i said, i dont plan to main them or use them in tourneys, i just want some complete knowledge of brawl characters, and this always intrigued me. I'll figure out myself i guess.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Nana is the only one who can meteor smash. If Nana is dead, then you can't be meteor smashed. You're already screwed without her in the first place. Why be more screwed?

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
Note to IC boards: Dthrow + Blizzard (AT THE SAME TIME) = win.

Rolling in opposite directions is fun, too.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Note to IC boards: Dthrow + Blizzard (AT THE SAME TIME) = win.
I wish that were true. But if you're in a position to do that, the vast majority of the time, it's strictly better to continue an infinite chain than give it up for a blizzard. (If you're capable, that is.)

If I'm at the edge of a thin platform, I'll sometimes Dthrow them off the edge, and have the other climber drop down and blizzard while they're falling.... that's only if I don't feel able to keep up a CG.

It makes me sad; ICs have a TON of interesting grab options, but they're all dwarfed by the few standard infinites.

YamiJorie

Smash Cadet
I'm not really a huge fan of the Ice Climbers, but there two things I simply love about them.

1. Their grab game. Chaingrabbing is deadly, and racking up the damage with Nana using additional moves is fun too.
2. Their D-Smash. When an opponent is right in front of you, a charged D-Smash can do over 50% of damage to him. I really like that.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I wish that were true. But if you're in a position to do that, the vast majority of the time, it's strictly better to continue an infinite chain than give it up for a blizzard. (If you're capable, that is.)

If I'm at the edge of a thin platform, I'll sometimes Dthrow them off the edge, and have the other climber drop down and blizzard while they're falling.... that's only if I don't feel able to keep up a CG.

It makes me sad; ICs have a TON of interesting grab options, but they're all dwarfed by the few standard infinites.
Since I suck at infinites against heavies, sometimes I like to go for those other options when I can do more damage and to keep the other opponent on his toes. Momentum and feeling do have a lot of of merit in pressured matches.

Buuuut yeah, haha, you're right. Infinites are always the best option.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
2. Their D-Smash. When an opponent is right in front of you, a charged D-Smash can do over 50% of damage to him. I really like that.
lol, I don't think I've used the ICs' dsmash once in the last couple tournaments I went to.
Since I suck at infinites against heavies, sometimes I like to go for those other options when I can do more damage and to keep the other opponent on his toes. Momentum and feeling do have a lot of of merit in pressured matches.

Buuuut yeah, haha, you're right. Infinites are always the best option.
Have you tried alternating dthrows? Just grab with Nana right as your victim hits the ground during Popo's dthrow animation, and just wait a bit longer when regrabbing with Popo.

Iceclimbersftw

Smash Rookie
use them right

i personally think that they will be hard for you if you dont use them enough and practice with them yes they can use two items witch some some people think is cheap but popo is a AI witch you can never control very well and if he or she dies idk baut if he or she dies the ice climber is useless if u fall cuz you lose your special jump... but thats just my opinion

Dev2000

Smash Lord
i personally think that they will be hard for you if you dont use them enough and practice with them yes they can use two items witch some some people think is cheap but popo is a AI witch you can never control very well and if he or she dies idk baut if he or she dies the ice climber is useless if u fall cuz you lose your special jump... but thats just my opinion
moxg of the time when your solo ice climber gets smashed they go diagonally so if your not dead yet you can double jump and use side b but while using that side b start MASHING the b button with 2 ice climbers your gonna go up but with one you will remain on the same hight thats what i always use to recover

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
If only we could still wavedash > U-tilt > chain-grab ='(

I miss melee too much, Brawl just doesn't compare. It doesn't even shout "BRAAAAWWWLL!!!" when you click on multiplayer!

Dev2000

Smash Lord
If only we could still wavedash > U-tilt > chain-grab ='(

I miss melee too much, Brawl just doesn't compare. It doesn't even shout "BRAAAAWWWLL!!!" when you click on multiplayer!
ye i know melee's gameplay just beats brawls gameplay but i like online mode to much its easier to get good now

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
It's much easier in general to get good at this game.

Online is pretty bad btw.

Top Bottom